1st team AA | Page 6 | The Boneyard

1st team AA

Reaction Score
Hi - I wanted to add a short version asking why Wilson over Pheese this year. Pheese vs Wilson.

More points (19.2 vs 16.9), way better FG% (66.5% vs 56.9%), more rebs (8.1 vs 7.6), blocks are closer than you would think (32 vs 36), less turnovers (28 vs 40), way more steals (30 vs 18), more assists (36 vs 30), better free throw % (78.3% vs 68.9%) and Pheese can hit from 3 (42% vs 1 shot taken and missed.)

So why would anyone say A'ja is better than Pheese? Because she is taller? (BTW at this point in time UCONN still has the best strength of schedule. We packed in the best opponents upfront, no one as tough as Duke though : - )

Let's compare the stats in a head to head matchup that would be more fair. A'ja and Pheese are my favorite players btw.

Reaction Score
Let's compare the stats in a head to head matchup that would be more fair. A'ja and Pheese are my favorite players btw.

I was thinking the same thing, should be a heck of a match up. Not sure if Gabby covers A'ja though and visa-versa. After we got through the first couple games the SC match up worried me more than ND and MD because of the size (multiple bigs.)

FYI - I am your neighbor just 30 mins North of Charlotte (moved down 9 years ago from Connecticut.)

Reaction Score
Now that I think of it... who are you to say Coates isn't an AA?? LOL I mean really 13 rebounds, 4 blks, and 3 steals is a bad game?? Basketball is more than just scoring Coates does a lot of things that doesn't show up in the box score and I think she deserves to be an AA.

LOL... as a UConn fan I can tip my hat to your reply because many folks make the same argument for Gabby filling in the stat sheet although not scoring as much as others. To be fair I did not see the game so not sure of Coates impact one-way or the other outside of the stats posted.

Reaction Score
LOL... as a UConn fan I can tip my hat to your reply because many folks make the same argument for Gabby filling in the stat sheet although not scoring as much as others. To be fair I did not see the game so not sure of Coates impact one-way or the other outside of the stats posted.

I Absolutely think Gabby deserves to be an AA.. hell she had my vote after she DOMINATED Turner in the ND game. Both Coates and Williams are overlooked because they aren't the leading scorers on their respective teams but without either of them I don't think either team would be where they are today. Coates didn't really score much against UGA because they packed the paint most of the game but she was always active on defense and was snaring a ton of rebounds, she actually reminded me of Gabby on a lot of plays by the way she was getting her hands on a lot of balls and hustling for every play.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Okay now, I'm a big A'ja fan. But because she loses in a statistical match up and since Pheese has done it against tougher opponents, don't suddenly move the goal posts to back your argument.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing, should be a heck of a match up. Not sure if Gabby covers A'ja though and visa-versa. After we got through the first couple games the SC match up worried me more than ND and MD because of the size (multiple bigs.)

I think it'll be the best matchup of the year. I can actually root for Pheese and A'ja against each other LOL. I hope it's a clean, injured free, and less foul prone game. :D

FYI - I am your neighbor just 30 mins North of Charlotte (moved down 9 years ago from Connecticut.)

That's good to know I actually have a house in Rock Hill and In the Tri-State. I live and Work in NJ but spend my summer with my family in Rock Hill.

Reaction Score
I Absolutely think Gabby deserves to be an AA.. hell she had my vote after she DOMINATED Turner in the ND game.

Three more points on poorer shooting and the same number of rebounds is Gabby Williams dominating Turner? LOL.

Gabby Williams (19p 12r, 5stl, 2to) on 42% shooting
Brianna Turner (16p, 12r, 1stl, 0to) on 50% shooting.

That looks far from "domination" to me. Turner just makes it look easier.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones, Plum, Samuelson, Wilson, and Jones from MD.

That's good to know I actually have a house in Rock Hill and In the Tri-State. I live and Work in NJ but spend my summer with my family in Rock Hill.

Ive had some fun times in Rock Hill :D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I Absolutely think Gabby deserves to be an AA.. hell she had my vote after she DOMINATED Turner in the ND game. Both Coates and Williams are overlooked because they aren't the leading scorers on their respective teams but without either of them I don't think either team would be where they are today. Coates didn't really score much against UGA because they packed the paint most of the game but she was always active on defense and was snaring a ton of rebounds, she actually reminded me of Gabby on a lot of plays by the way she was getting her hands on a lot of balls and hustling for every play.

I say we just give everyone a Certificate of Participation so that nobody gets left out. Make everyone an AA and that way there is no debate. You get an award, you get an award, you get an award.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay now, I'm a big A'ja fan. But because she loses in a statistical match up and since Pheese has done it against tougher opponents, don't suddenly move the goal posts to back your argument.

What do you mean? I've been a fan of Pheese since she was playing at Incarnate Word and even more since she played alongside A'ja in the U19 world Championships. Yes, her statistics are better then Wilson but that doesn't mean in a head to head matchup she will score 19 points and grab 8 rebounds so that's why it's more Fair to assess them after the game is played on Feb 13th.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Williams is a season away from being an AA. I don't think she will make it this season but next season is a real possibility. Opposing teams typically don't plan their defensive game plans around her like some of these other players.

Reaction Score
Three more points on poorer shooting and the same number of rebounds is Gabby Williams dominating Turner? LOL.

Williams is 5'-11" and easily out played Turner... who is 6'-3" and was considerd "The Best Post in the Nation". Williams not only played outstanding defense but she made Turner look completely lost defendeing her. I remember one play Turner had a rebound in hand pulling it down and Williams came out of no where and snatched the ball right out of her hands and layed the ball in. Those are the plays I mean when I said she dominated her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What do you mean? I've been a fan of Pheese since she was playing at Incarnate Word and even more since she played alongside A'ja in the U19 world Championships. Yes, her statistics are better then Wilson but that doesn't mean in a head to head matchup she will score 19 points and grab 8 rebounds so that's why it's more Fair to assess them after the game is played on Feb 13th.
The problem is will they actually face each other, or will Gabby be her number? The problem is the amount of switching UConn does. The problem is basketball is a game of match ups. A broad example. A'ja may not do well against, say ND's Turner (not really likely, but may) and well against Pheesa, but Pheesa may do well against Turner, but not against A'ja. So who's better then?

Reaction Score

First you should also include the 6 assists for Gabby vs 3 for Turner. Also, Gabby was more consistent throughout the game. However, I agree that folks want to give extra points to Gabby in ONLY one area, lack of size. When guarding the top bigs (Turner, Lewis, Jones) its amazing that she can keep them to roughly their average, but she does not and can not shut them down. It is not fair to ask her to guard them but at 5' 11" its amazing at what she does. I can not wait until next year when Azure is out there and Gabby only needs to guard players her size or slightly larger.

Reaction Score
I say we just give everyone a Certificate of Participation so that nobody gets left out. Make everyone an AA and that way there is no debate. You get an award, you get an award, you get an award.....

If I didn't know any better I would have thought you were Oprah for a second LOL

Reaction Score
Williams is 5'-11" and easily out played Turner... who is 6'-3" and was considerd "The Best Post in the Nation". Williams not only played outstanding defense but she made Turner look completely lost defendeing her. I remember one play Turner had a rebound in hand pulling it down and Williams came out of no where and snatched the ball right out of her hands and layed the ball in. Those are the plays I mean when I said she dominated her.

I think we're on the same page. Williams effort was incredible, but that's just it. It was a herculean effort on her part and she still came away with a comparable game to Turner who looked "lost". Also, as easttexastrash just pointed out, Turner (and Wilson) are the primary defensive focus of EVERY team they play. Williams essentially did this year what Mabrey did to Uconn last year. She's not in the same league as Kelsey Mitchell, Aja Wilson, Brianna Turner, KLS, or Kelsey Plum, who night-in and night-out have to overcome defenses trying to shut them down. Until she can prove herself in that way, she's not an AA.

Reaction Score
Gabby was certainly the best player on the floor in the Notre Dame game. I think people may be forgetting that while Turner did mostly guard Gabby, Gabby spent a significant portion of that game essentially face guarding Ogunbowale at times not allowing her to even catch the ball. Collier guarded Turner during those times. As you would expect Turner had a lot more success scoring on Collier than she did Gabby.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams vs ND... didn't dominate one player.
She dominated THE GAME!
Jay Bilas calls her "the most complete player in college hoops."
That's who I want on my AA team!
Ah, but what does Jay know.... :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Now that I think of it... who are you to say Coates isn't an AA?? LOL I mean really 13 rebounds, 4 blks, and 3 steals is a bad game?? Basketball is more than just scoring Coates does a lot of things that doesn't show up in the box score and I think she deserves to be an AA.
Did you watch the game? 5 of those rebounds were from her own missed layups.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lexie Brown won't be a first team all-american..... but if she keeps it up.... she might end up being the ACC Player of the Year and garner some AP All-American recognition (2nd-3rd team) Averages 18.2 pts, 3.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds, 3 steals. Plays stout defense as well.

Reaction Score
Why only 9 players?
Neither Turner nor Allen is having the kind of year worth of consideration for AA honors. Either would be lucky at this point to make the All-AC team.
Brionna Jones of MD will make most AA teams.
I agree, this honor is not awarded based upon talents or performance from last year. It is awarded for this year's individual showing .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Still LoL
So there I was minding my business and ESPN has a poster of Diamond and Alaina Coates advertising the game tomorrow between SC and TN. When I look closer Alaina is actually sporting rings! So you know me always curious: Are those Regular Season Rings or or those for SEC tournament? I know what they AIN'T can someone please help me with what they are.

Still LoL!
IMG_4489.JPG

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That Jay Bilas tweet about Gabby being best all around player in "college" basketball sure is getting a lot of play. Gabby followed up with a triple double and a badass award in consecutive games so she pretty sure to be a lock for AA at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom