What's the likelihood of going undefeated? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What's the likelihood of going undefeated?

What's the likelihood of another undefeated season?

• 100%

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • 60%

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • 40%

Votes: 34 19.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 41 23.8%
  • 0%

Votes: 35 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know everyone will get mad at me for asking this question, so please refrain from negative comments in that regard....but after watching the first several games of the year, I think it's definitely plausible. Talent wise, I don't think there's a team that has better talent than Connecticut with the exception being potentially South Carolina. You have:

Williams/Collier-extremely athletic forwards who can defend multiple positions, score from 3 point land, mid ranger and in the paid, both rebound well and both are equally comfortable being scorers or role players.

Chong/Dangerfield-one of the better point guard combos in the nation. Dangerfield is one of the better freshman point guards we've seen in a while. She looks so steady and confident out there. Always under control, a capable scorer, can run the offense and beat you off the dribble. She looks like Jefferson as a seasoned sophomore. Chong isn't quite as dynamic as Dangerfield, but she is quietly very very good. They make a great 1-2 punch.

KLS-one of the better forwards in the nation. A great shooter who looks confident and aggressive this year. Averaging 22 a game.

Natalie Butler-a blue collar big player who can hit shots inside, fights for rebounds and is physical. Adds a different dimension off the bench. She isn't a go to player, but she plays her role well.

Nurse-A bit underwhelmed by her to start the year, but she brings physical play and toughness. I expect she'll pick up her shooting as the season goes on. At least she isn't jacking up bad shots, she's just missing good looks.

Besides SC, no other team has a lineup quite like UCONN's where there are 4 players who could easily lead team in scoring night in night now. Most importantly, UOCNN plays really cohesive basketball together. In 3/4 games they've had a positive A/TO ratio, including both wins against a highly ranked team. They shoot well and play hard 100% of the time. Defensively, they aren't great but they'll improve as the year goes on. On an off day, I think there are only a few teams that can hang with or beat UCONN.

Looking at the schedule, the only teams left with talent to compete with UCONN are:
Texas (H)....they have talent but they just don't appear to be a good team. I don't see them hanging within 15 of UCONN.

Notre Dame (A)...definitely a game UCONN could lose. Ogunbowale is one of the best guards in the nation, Allen might be the best point guard in the nation, and everyone in the lineup can score. If ND shoots well from deep, it'll be a tough win for UCONN.

Ohio State (H)....I don't see it happening. Ohio State doesn't play well enough as a team to hang with UCONN IMO. And the game is in Connecticut.

Maryland (A)...another game that could be lost. Maryland is quite good and they have one of their best rosters this year. I don't think they'll upset UCONN because they don't defend particularly well, but it could be a tight game.

South Carolina (H)....definitely a game that UCONN could lose. SC has 4 outstanding scorers, each of whom can create matchup problems for Connecticut. They also play great defense. However, SC is traditionally a bad offensive team. They have more weapons this year, but if they struggle to score against Connecticut, they wont win.

If UCONN can get past those big 3, they'll be undefeated entering the NCAA tournament, and will likely waltz to the Final Four in typical UCONN fashion. At the Final Four, anything could happen this year with the talent spread, but I'd still bet on UCONN to win.

I'd put the odds right now at about 40%. It may seem high, but UCONN has lost one game in the last 3 years and this team looks good. You have Geno running the show, and no one else in WCBB has looked all that amazing to start the year. Teams will improve as the year goes on, but UCONN will too, and the Huskies have as much upside as anyone considering they are still figuring out roles and systems without Tuck/Jefferson/Stewart. I think Notre Dame is the biggest hurdle. If they can knock off Notre Dame, odds jump up to 60-70% in my book.
I really feel that Nurse can be the reason they DO NOT go undefeated this year. She has real limitations shooting the basketball and I'd much rather see Gabby in the lineup. She's so athletic and a great rebounder and it looks as if her shooting has improved appreciably. I know Nurse is solid defensively but I don't think there would be much of a difference in Gabby on the defensive end of the court. JMHO!

Reaction Score
Fun Fact: If they are undefeated going into the SC game, the streak would be at 99. They would have to beat the Gamecocks to make it triple digits.
I continue to think that South Carolina isn't a cohesive team and is limited offensively. They remind me a great deal of the Tennessee teams in the past ten years where they were primarily a good defensive team and a strong rebounding team but with very limited flow in their offense and with sporadic shooters.

Reaction Score
I continue to think that South Carolina isn't a cohesive team and is limited offensively. They remind me a great deal of the Tennessee teams in the past ten years where they were primarily a good defensive team and a strong rebounding team but with very limited flow in their offense and with sporadic shooters.

We are not fully together yet but every game they are getting better defensively and offensively, offensively we have 5 scorers capable of scoring double digits so I don't know how were limited offensively. the offensive scheme is coming together just fine and when the figure it out you better look out they are going to be hard to stop.

Reaction Score
I read the whole thread and nothing is mentioned about the Huskies staying healthy. When Danger is in the game, it is as good as any starting five in the country. Other than Saniya and Nat against FSU the other four have not done much. They have to find some trustworthy, consistent minutes from the remaining four. They will suffer at least one loss because of the lack of depth. If any significant injuries occur, the staff is wonderful but not miracle workers.

You mean between Saniya, Nat, Molly and Kyla?

You didn't think Nat played pretty well vs Baylor (6 rebounds and two blocks)? And I didn't think she was too bad vs Dayton, was she? In 16 minutes had 9 pts 4-7 from the floor with 9 rebounds and two blocks.

I think Chong is nice insurance. One thing she can do is shoot the basketball. Thus her presence is a minor deterrent to try to use gimmick defenses against UCONN (ie a triangle-and-two or similar).

And when Danger is in the game, as she progresses she is going to "deliver the ball" to a player like Butler in her sweet spots.

I think similar to you it is too much to ask to be undefeated but The Real Danger's addition to being so darn good so early in which her strength is passing but can shoot and can score- it makes all the players that surround her that much better and more dangerous. Potentially she can do wonders for a player like Butler.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh, my vote is:

We're Doomed!

Don't tempt the fates.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
You mean between Saniya, Nat, Molly and Kyla?

You didn't think Nat played pretty well vs Baylor (6 rebounds and two blocks)? And I didn't think she was too bad vs Dayton, was she? In 16 minutes had 9 pts 4-7 from the floor with 9 rebounds and two blocks.

I think Chong is nice insurance. One thing she can do is shoot the basketball. Thus her presence is a minor deterrent to try to use gimmick defenses against UCONN (ie a triangle-and-two or similar).

And when Danger is in the game, as she progresses she is going to "deliver the ball" to a player like Butler in her sweet spots.

I think similar to you it is too much to ask to be undefeated but The Real Danger's addition to being so darn good so early in which her strength is passing but can shoot and can score- it makes all the players that surround her that much better and more dangerous. Potentially she can do wonders for a player like Butler.

As far as Butler, I really want to see what you see because she works so darn hard. Setting that aside, I too often see a kid that is off balance, falling away, a step slow on defense and a bit shy of the coordination needed to be a consistent contributor. She has to play because Kyra isn't ready but I was hoping to see a lot "smoother" play out of her and other than a few extended moments I have not. Finally, as far as Danger, I can remember a couple of times at least so far where Danger has fed her perfectly and Nat's hands were quick enough to handle it. Passes that Collier devours. To repeat, I really hope that Dailey's magic with the post players continues because to reach the height's that many are starting to predict, they need Nat.

Reaction Score
I love the confidence but we are not Baylor balance scoring all around, this is not the same offensive team from the two prior years this team can score in bunches and can put up 90+ a night it would take a hell of a lot to keep them from scoring over 75 points but we'll see soon.

SCspur- - - -SoCar will not meet any team before Feb. 13th that plays the type of defense that UCONN can bring game after game! That has been the one constant through the years! Cuevas is a loose-cannon as a point guard and is a detriment vs a UCONN 40 minute defense! SoCar has great height but so did Baylor and they went down! SoCar will be lucky to score 55 to 60 points and their defense cannot hold UCONN under 70 points, so chances are low for SoCar to pull this game out! Remember the last 2 years we, at the BONEYARD have heard that "wait till February SoCar is going to run all over UCONN" and the Huskies have won by 20+ points in CT and then last year at SoCar where you SoCar fans said "UCONN couldn't win on our home court!"
None of the 4 teams you listed as SoCar showing their offensive chops haven't played defense in a dozen years, so the GameCocks scoring in the 90's and 76 points don't prove anything vs a UCONN defense that has been consistently tough through Geno's and CD's tenure at Storrs!
No team in Division I WBB sells out on defense for the full 40 minutes like UCONN does!

Reaction Score
I really feel that Nurse can be the reason they DO NOT go undefeated this year. She has real limitations shooting the basketball and I'd much rather see Gabby in the lineup. She's so athletic and a great rebounder and it looks as if her shooting has improved appreciably. I know Nurse is solid defensively but I don't think there would be much of a difference in Gabby on the defensive end of the court. JMHO!

Buzzyboy- - - Nurse has shown in the past both with UCONN and the Canadian team that she is an offensive threat. IMHO she is trying too hard to be Stewie, MoJeff & Morgan in one package, instead of just being Kia Nurse! The last couple games since her talk with Geno in his office she has shown to be more relaxed and letting the game come to her! I have faith that slowly but surely her offense will join her defense as first rate!
Gabby, Saniya, Nurse, Collier and Katie Lou have been starters so far this season so Gabby wouldn't be coming in for Kia. Crystal Dangerfield comes off the bench for Saniya to add speed to the offense! UCONN needs Kia to play large amount of minutes for her defensive skills, as her offense comes back!

Reaction Score
As far as Butler, I really want to see what you see because she works so darn hard. Setting that aside, I too often see a kid that is off balance, falling away, a step slow on defense and a bit shy of the coordination needed to be a consistent contributor. She has to play because Kyra isn't ready but I was hoping to see a lot "smoother" play out of her and other than a few extended moments I have not. Finally, as far as Danger, I can remember a couple of times at least so far where Danger has fed her perfectly and Nat's hands were quick enough to handle it. Passes that Collier devours. To repeat, I really hope that Dailey's magic with the post players continues because to reach the height's that many are starting to predict, they need Nat.

victor64- - - -I beg to differ with your evaluation of Natalie Butler. IMHO I think she has done a really good job of fitting herself into the offense & defense after a horrible lost year with the thumb injury last season. The injury couldn't have come at a worse time then right before the season started after she worked so hard on her transfer year and all the coaches & players were singing her praises in preseason! Then boom, the season went down the tubes!
She has gotten herself into fantastic shape again in the off season, losing close to 30lbs. since she arrived in Storrs! She stayed on campus this past off season to work with Marissa & CD and the hard work she put in is quite evident!
She has improved game to game as more confident in her offense and she has shown some tenacity in her defensive play! As time goes on she will become a big asset to the Huskies season!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
We are not fully together yet but every game they are getting better defensively and offensively, offensively we have 5 scorers capable of scoring double digits so I don't know how were limited offensively. the offensive scheme is coming together just fine and when the figure it out you better look out they are going to be hard to stop.
cool, sound similar to UConn

Reaction Score
Fun Fact: If they are undefeated going into the SC game, the streak would be at 99. They would have to beat the Gamecocks to make it triple digits.
Uconn has lost 18 games since Gampel Pavillion opened. That averages out to .67 games a year with over 300 wins. It will be interesting to say the least.

Reaction Score

I do see that she falls away in the low post. But I saw 6 rebounds vs Baylor and 9 rebounds vs Dayton. The Baylor game was a high pressure game. I believe most of her fumbles come from catches on the move. Don't think that is fixable overall in which she can gather inside and shoot. But when she is stationary, facing the basket, she has a capable shot, don't you think? Also - I saw a beuty pass from CD to NB in the low post in which NB was able to go right up. Plus I saw vs Dayton she made one extremely nice low post move. SHe moved right to left back to right again.

On top of it, I don't think she needs to score more than 4 or 6 points. If she gets rebounds - we can get out on the break. Even if it isn''t a fastbreak, Lou is such a weapon that she forces the defense to overextend on her which makes CD even more dangerous. I don't believe they need Nat to be much of a scorer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I do see that she falls away in the low post. But I saw 6 rebounds vs Baylor and 9 rebounds vs Dayton. The Baylor game was a high pressure game. I believe most of her fumbles come from catches on the move. Don't think that is fixable overall in which she can gather inside and shoot. But when she is stationary, facing the basket, she has a capable shot, don't you think? Also - I saw a beuty pass from CD to NB in the low post in which NB was able to go right up. Plus I saw vs Dayton she made one extremely nice low post move. SHe moved right to left back to right again.

On top of it, I don't think she needs to score more than 4 or 6 points. If she gets rebounds - we can get out on the break. Even if it isn''t a fastbreak, Lou is such a weapon that she forces the defense to overextend on her which makes CD even more dangerous. I don't believe they need Nat to be much of a scorer.
I need block shots from her after Saniya gets burned at the elbow (in my Geno voice)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

PLOT TWIST: I know this counters the running theme of SC WBB.. but calling this year's SC team "offensively limited" is a stretch. I've been watching South Carolina basketball since 2008 (so I've seen some ugly basketball from our team) and unlike the past few years, scoring will not be a problem for this team. We're not 100% in sync yet but this team knows how to move the ball.

This team has averaged 80+ points the past 3 games taking their starters out midway through the 3rd and playing freshmen for the remainder of the game.. they scored 92 on Ohio State (yes, not the best defensive team.. but it was a road game versus a top 10 opponent) with A'ja Wilson riding the bench for most of the game. If Wilson had her typical night the score could've easily gone into the triple digits..

I'm not being braggadocious at all, but I don't think this is the same team from previous years that allowed opponents to sag off of 3 out of 5 players and occasionally struggled to score 60+ points for an entire game. This current team has scored 50+ points before halftime a few times already...

If anything, my main concern with this team is defensively.... they play defense, but they don't seem as aggressive as our defenses in the past.. they have a lot of catching up to do in that area in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I take an optimistic estimation here, first i calculate the odds of an undefeated regular season, I will totally discount Maryland and put uconn at more or less on an even ground with SC and ND which gives uconn a 25% chance of an undefeated regular season. I also assume that uconn will make it to the final 4 without any problem, while have to beat both of aforementioned 2 teams(25%), or just one of them (50%) or none (25%) to complete an undefeated season. That leaves about 12.5% of chance. So I voted 20%, would have voted 10% if that option is available.

Reaction Score
PLOT TWIST: I know this counters the running theme of SC WBB.. but calling this year's SC team "offensively limited" is a stretch. I've been watching South Carolina basketball since 2008 (so I've seen some ugly basketball from our team) and unlike the past few years, scoring will not be a problem for this team. We're not 100% in sync yet but this team knows how to move the ball.

This team has averaged 80+ points the past 3 games taking their starters out midway through the 3rd and playing freshmen for the remainder of the game.. they scored 92 on Ohio State (yes, not the best defensive team.. but it was a road game versus a top 10 opponent) with A'ja Wilson riding the bench for most of the game. If Wilson had her typical night the score could've easily gone into the triple digits..

I'm not being braggadocious at all, but I don't think this is the same team from previous years that allowed opponents to sag off of 3 out of 5 players and occasionally struggled to score 60+ points for an entire game. This current team has scored 50+ points before halftime a few times already...

If anything, my main concern with this team is defensively.... they play defense, but they don't seem as aggressive as our defenses in the past.. they have a lot of catching up to do in that area in my opinion.
Mitchell and Sessions were both really good defensive players and big losses for SC. The team just needs to work on it together. With 3 new starters, IMO, defense is what takes longer for teams to learn.

Reaction Score
victor64- - - -I beg to differ with your evaluation of Natalie Butler. IMHO I think she has done a really good job of fitting herself into the offense & defense after a horrible lost year with the thumb injury last season. The injury couldn't have come at a worse time then right before the season started after she worked so hard on her transfer year and all the coaches & players were singing her praises in preseason! Then boom, the season went down the tubes!
She has gotten herself into fantastic shape again in the off season, losing close to 30lbs. since she arrived in Storrs! She stayed on campus this past off season to work with Marissa & CD and the hard work she put in is quite evident!
She has improved game to game as more confident in her offense and she has shown some tenacity in her defensive play! As time goes on she will become a big asset to the Huskies season!

Thanks--Natalie may not be Stewie or Dolson --She gives this team the added post presence they need. She gets better ever game.
Thanks RShermvikes---i like this..

Reaction Score
Buzzyboy- - - Nurse has shown in the past both with UCONN and the Canadian team that she is an offensive threat. IMHO she is trying too hard to be Stewie, MoJeff & Morgan in one package, instead of just being Kia Nurse! The last couple games since her talk with Geno in his office she has shown to be more relaxed and letting the game come to her! I have faith that slowly but surely her offense will join her defense as first rate!
Gabby, Saniya, Nurse, Collier and Katie Lou have been starters so far this season so Gabby wouldn't be coming in for Kia. Crystal Dangerfield comes off the bench for Saniya to add speed to the offense! UCONN needs Kia to play large amount of minutes for her defensive skills, as her offense comes back!

The highlighted portion above says everything about KIA--she feels the new responsibility--demands too much from herself. But I like that she surrounds herself with the team on breaks or before starting the game--and does some direction and pep talks.
Really nice post.

Reaction Score
I know I will get lots of flaks about this, but I really think that this thread and a bunch of posters are offending and tempting the mojo gods. So in that spirit, I say we are DOOMED!!! Lots of games against great teams will be close and exciting, but this team has heart and leaves everything on the floor. What more can anyone expect? DOOMED!!!!!

Reaction Score
This jogged my memory. From Frank Deford's article
Geno Auriemma + Diana Taurasi = Love, Italian Style

"at the start of the 2003-04 season: The team was made up of
Diana, some holdover subs, two redshirts and some callow frosh.
The coaches were figuring six, eight, maybe even 10 losses. The
first day of practice was a debacle. Afterward, though, Diana
blithely bubbled, "This is going to be the ugliest undefeated
team in history."
Geno Auriemma + Diana Taurasi = Love, Italian Style A pair of paisans at UConn share a passion for hoops that makes a perfect match of cocky coach and fearless player
Absolutely awesome: thanks so much. Who writes that well anymore? And then there's this, which today might be difficult to express publicly:

Diana says, "I know this will irritate a lot of coaches, so I never said it then, but I wanted to play for a man. Anyway, Geno was different from all the other coaches. He'd tell me things that were real. And 99 percent of it was true."

Auriemma helps clarify this. "You know what I do better than most anyone?" he asks. "I deal with women. And the way I do it is to tell them exactly what I think. I don't think they're used to that from men."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I'm interested in seeing against ND whether Nat can hit some 15-footers and draw Turner away from the basket.

Reaction Score
I know everyone will get mad at me for asking this question, so please refrain from negative comments in that regard....but after watching the first several games of the year, I think it's definitely plausible. Talent wise, I don't think there's a team that has better talent than Connecticut with the exception being potentially South Carolina. You have:

Williams/Collier-extremely athletic forwards who can defend multiple positions, score from 3 point land, mid ranger and in the paid, both rebound well and both are equally comfortable being scorers or role players.

Chong/Dangerfield-one of the better point guard combos in the nation. Dangerfield is one of the better freshman point guards we've seen in a while. She looks so steady and confident out there. Always under control, a capable scorer, can run the offense and beat you off the dribble. She looks like Jefferson as a seasoned sophomore. Chong isn't quite as dynamic as Dangerfield, but she is quietly very very good. They make a great 1-2 punch.

KLS-one of the better forwards in the nation. A great shooter who looks confident and aggressive this year. Averaging 22 a game.

Natalie Butler-a blue collar big player who can hit shots inside, fights for rebounds and is physical. Adds a different dimension off the bench. She isn't a go to player, but she plays her role well.

Nurse-A bit underwhelmed by her to start the year, but she brings physical play and toughness. I expect she'll pick up her shooting as the season goes on. At least she isn't jacking up bad shots, she's just missing good looks.

Besides SC, no other team has a lineup quite like UCONN's where there are 4 players who could easily lead team in scoring night in night now. Most importantly, UOCNN plays really cohesive basketball together. In 3/4 games they've had a positive A/TO ratio, including both wins against a highly ranked team. They shoot well and play hard 100% of the time. Defensively, they aren't great but they'll improve as the year goes on. On an off day, I think there are only a few teams that can hang with or beat UCONN.

Looking at the schedule, the only teams left with talent to compete with UCONN are:
Texas (H)....they have talent but they just don't appear to be a good team. I don't see them hanging within 15 of UCONN.

Notre Dame (A)...definitely a game UCONN could lose. Ogunbowale is one of the best guards in the nation, Allen might be the best point guard in the nation, and everyone in the lineup can score. If ND shoots well from deep, it'll be a tough win for UCONN.

Ohio State (H)....I don't see it happening. Ohio State doesn't play well enough as a team to hang with UCONN IMO. And the game is in Connecticut.

Maryland (A)...another game that could be lost. Maryland is quite good and they have one of their best rosters this year. I don't think they'll upset UCONN because they don't defend particularly well, but it could be a tight game.

South Carolina (H)....definitely a game that UCONN could lose. SC has 4 outstanding scorers, each of whom can create matchup problems for Connecticut. They also play great defense. However, SC is traditionally a bad offensive team. They have more weapons this year, but if they struggle to score against Connecticut, they wont win.

If UCONN can get past those big 3, they'll be undefeated entering the NCAA tournament, and will likely waltz to the Final Four in typical UCONN fashion. At the Final Four, anything could happen this year with the talent spread, but I'd still bet on UCONN to win.

I'd put the odds right now at about 40%. It may seem high, but UCONN has lost one game in the last 3 years and this team looks good. You have Geno running the show, and no one else in WCBB has looked all that amazing to start the year. Teams will improve as the year goes on, but UCONN will too, and the Huskies have as much upside as anyone considering they are still figuring out roles and systems without Tuck/Jefferson/Stewart. I think Notre Dame is the biggest hurdle. If they can knock off Notre Dame, odds jump up to 60-70% in my book.
Appreciate all the good info. Love this year's team but believe they will lose to high, unranked team. This year's team seems to play at their best when clear underdog or when behind. Some night when 3 pointers are going in for opposition and not for Conn could spell first L.

Reaction Score
In order for there to be 0% chance of Uconn winning all their remaining games, there must by force be at least one game that they have 0% chance of winning since the solution to this problem is the product of the probabilites in the series. Since they have a decent chance of winning any of their games the choice of 0% is impossible by inspection. Likewise the choice of 100% is equally absurd. This would mean that every future opponent would have 0% chance of winning. Besides being ridiculous this would be exceedingly boring. Tontobruto says the correct probability is about .05 as has been previously and wisely stated. 5% aint that bad

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

Their chances are slim and none, and slim is saddling his horse as we speak. The gauntlet they have just next week is too daunting a task for this team, but their goal isn't to when the regular season, from what I've seen already Geno, CD and the staff will have them ready come money time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom