What's the likelihood of going undefeated? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

What's the likelihood of going undefeated?

What's the likelihood of another undefeated season?

• 100%

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • 60%

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • 40%

Votes: 34 19.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 41 23.8%
  • 0%

Votes: 35 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of the choices offered, I'm still at 0% as of now. But if we beat ND tomorrow I would move up to 20%. Again, that's of the choices offered. Even if we beat ND, I think our chances would only be a bit better than 1 in 10.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't see how your first sentence jibes with the rest of your post, with which I agree entirely. (That is why I emphasized the "mechanical" aspect. If we get by ND, I think this greatly increases our probability of beating MD and Scar. And so on. From a non-mechanical point of view, factoring in our coaching staff, our intestinal fortitude and our tradition, I would give us about a 50-50 chance of running the table.

I think a snowball in hell has a better chance of not melting than UConn has of going undefeated. And normally, I figure percentages the way you do, Zorro. But I will say that with each time that UConn rolls the dice and it comes up for them, the odds on their behalf increase for subsequent games, because of the psychology of it. UConn will feel only energized by the wins (having played with enormous win streaks so often before) but their opponents will feel increasingly intimidated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zorro - I'm not sure the chances of UConn losing in the regional finals are negligible.
If they catch a tough 2 seed like say, an improved Texas team, the outcome could
be decidedly uncertain. If UConn makes it to the final four, I would count the
season as an unqualified success.

Reaction Score
First, I love the math -oriented takes on the question. Being a Psych, English, Bio type, it is fun to see the number folks work through the 'problem'.

On the night of the ND game, with tip off about an hour away, I admit I thought this team could have four loses by now, but they beat FSU, Baylor, DePaul, and Texas, and they have won in an impressive manner.

Although very different from the impressive victories of the past four years, this team has proven itself to be a problem solving team. One with enough bbiq, enough physical talent, and more than enough grit and heart.

I'm capable of being objective. There are teams out there that perform at a superior level. They look so good, but then they lose, and I wonder what happened to that team that seemed to have it all.

Conversely, I watch UConn, and at times, I wonder why they look so clueless, and then they don't.

I think we don't have much more than an inkling of how good this team can be. Those players who have an upside, and there are quite a few, have not given us enough samples for us to say Yea or Nay definitively.

Where in the past, we came to know what to expect, and only injury or the one in a million game (that is why they play them) could keep UConn from her destiny, this team will keep on solving problems, keep on performing, and, I believe, keep on winning.

Will they win them all? Will they keep the streak alive?

I would like them to, but I don't much care about those details.

On the other hand, from a big picture standpoint, I would not be surprised to see them have at least a six game winning streak to begin next season

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Odds jump to 80% in my book. Double digit wins against the #2 and #3 teams in the country, South Carolina is a home game and the Gamecocks just lost to Duke, I don't see Maryland competing with Connecticut.... and the only two games I could see being a challenge are the final four game in the championship game. UCONN has made huge strides in one month and I don't see them losing another game. They look like another juggernaut, just a different blend of players this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No guarantees, but a win at Joyce just upped our chances. :):):)

Reaction Score
No one knows how fouls or injury may affect the rest of the season. I think CD will help in the end, as she gains more confidence, other than that we seem largely like a 6-deep team. Any game when someone gets injured, even just for the game, or 1 or 2 players are in foul trouble will be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom