What's the likelihood of going undefeated? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What's the likelihood of going undefeated?

What's the likelihood of another undefeated season?

• 100%

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • 60%

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • 40%

Votes: 34 19.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 41 23.8%
  • 0%

Votes: 35 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
victor64- - - -I beg to differ with your evaluation of Natalie Butler. IMHO I think she has done a really good job of fitting herself into the offense & defense after a horrible lost year with the thumb injury last season. The injury couldn't have come at a worse time then right before the season started after she worked so hard on her transfer year and all the coaches & players were singing her praises in preseason! Then boom, the season went down the tubes!
She has gotten herself into fantastic shape again in the off season, losing close to 30lbs. since she arrived in Storrs! She stayed on campus this past off season to work with Marissa & CD and the hard work she put in is quite evident!
She has improved game to game as more confident in her offense and she has shown some tenacity in her defensive play! As time goes on she will become a big asset to the Huskies season!
It's remarkable to me that I still hear this negativism from some Huskie fans regarding Butler. Doesn't anyone remember how Dolson looked in her freshman and early sophomore years. The same criticism that I hear about Butler was so applicable to the Dolson of that timeframe. She dropped passes, her rebounding was such that often balls were ripped right out of her hands and then, abracadabra, she started hanging on to those rebounds and those passes and we saw Dolson evolve into an All-American. Butler may never quite get there but she's already exceeded a number of the concerns I'd heard from some Boneyarders prior to the start of this season. She's an asset and I would love nothing more than to see her continuing to prove a lot of people wrong on this board.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope you're right. You've made some very salient and thoughtful points and observations, most of which I was conscious of when I made the decision to step out there.
Stranger things have happened. That two point win against Florida State could just as easily been a two point loss. I just can't see THIS team going undefeated. There are those land mines that you mentioned: (Notre Dame, Maryland & South Carolina) on the road to Dallas (site of this year's women's final four) that they'll have to negotiate. Can they win it all? Sure they can.
Hosting the first weekend at Gampel. Then enjoying a short trip south to their home away from home the second weekend in Bridgeport (enjoying a large UConn fan presence at both venues), then on to Dallas. The last 3 games as usual will be the most difficult.

They will make the tournament, most likely a #1 seed. However, If they lose 2 of 3 of these upcoming big games (which I sincerely doubt), they will drop in the rankings. They won't play enough ranked teams after that to move back in to the top four, and for the first time in recent memory, be a #2 seed. They could only hope that teams ranked above them lose some games, and they move back up by default, a scenario they have not had to experience for many years, and I doubt will happen. The point has been belabored many times, that this is not your average UConn team, so we should not expect every game (or this season) to be business as usual. :oops: I'm not preaching doom & gloom here, I'm just saying.

In WCBB, size matters, but it didn't help Baylor or South Carolina get to the FF last year. Believe me bballnut90, I would have no problem dining on a course of "chilled crow" if I'm wrong on this one. It would mean another National Championship for UConn. I would consider that a very fair trade off. I'm ALWAYS on board with UConn winning a natty. :)
The FSU game was an awful test, a road game with a team that's dealing with the loss of three starters that were selected as the first three picks of the WNBA draft, meaning they were extraordinarily good. To incorporate a new lineup and establish cohesiveness while playing your first game against a top ten team on the road is a little daunting, isn't it??????? How may teams could have done that? They've looked more and more cohesive and it isn't like there wasn't a lot of talent there, right? I'm pretty optimistic that this will be a pretty special year for the Huskie ladies.

Reaction Score
OK Kicker, it looks like you want to get technical over a simple harmless prediction that I made. Let's do it.
Point #1: You said: "The probability that that same team would do it again the year following an undefeated season is still exactly the same as it was any other year."
My take on that point: I don't agree. Unless EVERY player from the previous year's team came back, that team IS NOT the same team. Seniors leave, freshmen come in. So that illustration won't fly.
Point 2: The schedules are NOT the same from year to year. NO TEAM plays the exact same schedule every year. Their OOC schedule is different, and the teams they play in the NCAA tournament are different every year.
Here's the logic I used in making my prediction:
Teams entering the tournament unbeaten since 1986 - (30 years)

Of the 16 teams who have entered the tournament unbeaten, 9 went on to win the National Championship.[6]

• In 1986, Texas entered the tournament 30–0, beat USC for the national title, and ended the season 34–0.
  • In 1990, Louisiana Tech entered the tournament 29–0, but lost in the Final Four to Auburn.
  • In 1992, Vermont entered the tournament 29–0, but lost in the first round to George Washington.
  • In 1993, Vermont entered the tournament 28–0, but lost in the first round to Rutgers.
  • In 1995, Connecticut entered the tournament 29–0, beat Tennessee for the national title, and ended the season 35–0.
  • In 1997, Connecticut entered the tournament 30–0, but lost in the Midwest Regional Final to Tennessee.
  • In 1998, Tennessee (33–0) and Liberty (28–0) both entered the tournament unbeaten; Liberty lost in the first round to Tennessee, which went on to beat Louisiana Tech for the national title and ended the season 39–0.
  • In 2002, 2009, and 2010, Connecticut entered the tournament 33–0, won the national title in each, and ended those seasons 39–0. They beat Oklahoma, Louisville, and Stanford, respectively.
  • In 2012, Baylor entered the tournament 34-0, beat Notre Dame for the national title, and ended the season 40-0. The Lady Bears became the first team in NCAA college basketball history, for either women or men, to win 40 games in a season. Notably, Louisiana Tech went 40-5 during the 1979-80 season. This was during the AIAW era for women's basketball.
  • In 2014, Connecticut (34–0) and Notre Dame (32–0) both entered the tournament unbeaten; Connecticut beat Notre Dame 79-58 for the national title, ended the season 40-0 and is the 8th team to end the season unbeaten.
  • In 2015, Princeton entered the tournament 30–0, but lost in the second round to Maryland.
  • In 2016, Connecticut entered the tournament 32-0, beat Syracuse for the national title to end the season 38-0.
The last NON-UConn team to go all the way was Baylor in 2012, 4 years ago. Before that the last non-UConn team to do it was Tennessee in 1998, 18 years ago. After this year, it will be 19!!!!! I agree it's not random. I could have waited until the first of the year to make a more informed prediction, it would have a lot easier. The games UConn have a good chance of losing would have been behind them, but I didn't. That would have been easy.

Last year's UConn team was special, very special. They won all of the scheduled games. The 2012 Baylor team was special, they too won all of their games. THIS year's UConn team is NOT that kind of special. I don't know how to get that across. They are not as good as last year's team. EVERYBODY knows that. They are not that deep, and they are a young team still looking for leadership from within. They are not a dominant team.

Before the season, most posters, BY commenters and WCBB analysts ALL predicted that UConn would lose a game or two this year. Now, just 4 games into the season, some here in the yard are beginning to back away from their earlier pronouncements. I was one of the ones that thought there was no way THIS team could win them all. I'm standing fast on that thought.
The 2014-2015 UConn team was much better that this year's team, right? They had the BIG 3, plus KML and Kiah Stokes. Well they lost one.

I attended that game in Palo Alto in 2014. If UConn had played Stanford first, then UC Davis, I believe they would have beaten Stanford. UConn had just come from blowing out UC Davis 3 nights before. They were riding high on a sea of unbridled confidence. They had just blown out a team by 50-60 points, and figured that Stanford would not be that much of a problem. They no doubt figured they would just go into to Maples Pavilion, handle their business, and go home. Guess what, crap happened. They were not ready to play Stanford that night, but Stanford was ready to play them. Tara Van Derveer had her girls frothing at the mouth ready to tear in the Huskies. From the tip to the buzzer, they never let up. The tension and fan hype in the arena that night did not come across on TV. You had to be there. The same can happen to this team. It only takes one.

Last year the other 3 #1 seeds all had tickets in hand, room reservations made, and site seeing itineraries planned for their trip to Indianapolis for the final 4, but crap happened. None of them made it. UConn has fallen back towards the pack some. Before it was UConn, a large gap, then everybody else. Not this year. The gap has closed. We'll see just how much in the days and weeks to come.
I understand about us having Geno and they don't. Geno has lost games before, and he'll do it again.

While this team has great potential, they can lose one. Again I remind you, crap happens. It came real close to happening the first game. We can go around and around with this all weekend. Neither one of us is going to budge off of our positions. So we'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that. When UConn loses a game, my point will have been made. If they don't, yours will. I hope my theory is wrong, and they win #12. :rolleyes:
The three teams that supposedly pose the most serious threat to the Huskies this year LOST a lot of outstanding players so it isn't like any of the three is nearly as good as they were last year. UConn won the title last year HANDILY so even though their losses were more severe, they could still have a more negative LOSS and still manage to win it all and maybe as an undefeated team. I'm not saying that they'll finish unbeaten but stranger things have happened and there's no question they're a top tier team. No one will refute that, fellow coaches, sportscasters, the media. NO ONE!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can't see us beating ND at ND.

Not too many folks saw us beating The might Baylor Bears either. It's hard to get a read on ND at this point. They've only played 1 ranked opponent (#17 Washington). The Irish won that by 11, 71-60.
The rest of their games were against unranked mid-majors; all at home. They play 3 more mid-majors, only 1 of which is on the road, before they host UConn. UConn will be their first real test of the season. They've had a steady diet of home cooking to begin the season. The Irish only play 3 top 10 programs this year. #2 UConn, #4 Louisville and #10 Florida State. All 3 of those games will be in South Bend. Notre Dame better not sleep on Florida State. The Irish are a hard chew. They only lost two games last year. To UConn 91-81, and to Stanford in the NCAA regional finals 90-84.
I don't figure they'll lose more than two this year as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not too many folks saw us beating The might Baylor Bears either. It's hard to get a read on ND at this point. They've only played 1 ranked opponent (#17 Washington). The Irish won that by 11, 71-60.
The rest of their games were against unranked mid-majors; all at home. They play 3 more mid-majors, only 1 of which is on the road, before they host UConn. UConn will be their first real test of the season. They've had a steady diet of home cooking to begin the season. The Irish only play 3 top 10 programs this year. #2 UConn, #4 Louisville and #10 Florida State. All 3 of those games will be in South Bend. Notre Dame better not sleep on Florida State. The Irish are a hard chew. They only lost two games last year. To UConn 91-81, and to Stanford in the NCAA regional finals 90-84.
and both times to UConn

166003019.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't agree that she's MUCH of an offensive threat. Maybe in international games where she can be overtly physical she could be a threat primarily because of her physicality but her shooting stroke is mediocre (I'm being kind) at best and though she may have a moment or two, here and there, she's pretty much on the low end of the totem pole insofar as a scorer.

Buzzyboy- - -For Kia Nurse to be most effective is when 3/4 of her offense comes from attacking the basket and that opens up her outside shots! She is not going to be the primary scorer but can bring 8 to 12 points a game if she does the above!

Reaction Score
I don't agree that she's MUCH of an offensive threat. Maybe in international games where she can be overtly physical she could be a threat primarily because of her physicality but her shooting stroke is mediocre (I'm being kind) at best and though she may have a moment or two, here and there, she's pretty much on the low end of the totem pole insofar as a scorer.

Because Lou is a scorer and Gabby and Collier and CD can also score -- so can Nurse. Overall all 5 can't be guarded vs most teams. For her career Nurse shoots 38.8% from 3. That's the same as a player shooting 57.29% from 2. Because the 5 best players (including Nurse) starters are going to see plenty of minutes, she is going to take many shots. With the way she shoots the 3 ball and the ability to drive, she'll score. Her overall 3pt shooting can get undermined a bit because over the past few years we've had KML, Jefferson and now Lou.

Reaction Score

I know. Those folks were wrong about Baylor. I made no prediction vs Baylor. I was concerned of their size but never saw the team play (I didn't watch much of them last year) - especially vs UCONN prior over the years to get an idea as to what they are. But I have seen quite a few players of ND over the years and they play us tough. And I don't think the one game ND played vs Washington means much when we face-off vs ND anymore than the game we played VS Fla State meant much vs when we played Baylor. I just know what I've seen from ND last year - and know what I've seen over the years from ND. I realize it doesn't mean much anymore than the game from Fla State to just before we faced Baylor. But it's no less of an opinion than anyone else. :)

And while some may see a positive that ND isn't playing well - it may very well not be one. You can imagine what Muffett is saying to them. "You're playing this bad now, how can you expect to beat UCONN?" We know teams can be more capable to play over their head at home while other teams can struggle on the road. I just don't see us winning this game if we're coming in undefeated. You also have to consider potential home-cooking from the refs. I still believe a few years ago the refs at the end of the game completely burned UCONN at ND.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I know. Those folks were wrong about Baylor. I made no prediction vs Baylor. I was concerned of their size but never saw the team play (I didn't watch much of them last year) - especially vs UCONN prior over the years to get an idea as to what they are. But I have seen quite a few players of ND over the years and they play us tough. And I don't think the one game ND played vs Washington means much when we face-off vs ND anymore than the game we played VS Fla State meant much vs when we played Baylor. I just know what I've seen from ND last year - and know what I've seen over the years from ND. I realize it doesn't mean much anymore than the game from Fla State to just before we faced Baylor. But it's no less of an opinion than anyone else. :)

And while some may see a positive that ND isn't playing well - it may very well not be one. You can imagine what Muffett is saying to them. "You're playing this bad now, how can you expect to beat UCONN?" We know teams can be more capable to play over their head at home while other teams can struggle on the road. I just don't see us winning this game if we're coming in undefeated. You also have to consider potential home-cooking from the refs. I still believe a few years ago the refs at the end of the game completely burned UCONN at ND.

UConn ALWAYS brings out the best in Notre Dame. UConn is their biggest game of the year, every year. They are sick and tired of being sick and tired about losing to UConn. They know THIS game will be the best opportunity they'll have to beat UConn for the foreseeable future. Don't be concerned about ND not playing well. Make no mistake about it, Muffet will have her team ready the play the Huskies on Dec 7.

Like the Florida State game, this one may come down to the last shot. This game will be on national TV. This will be the biggest game of the day in WCBB. WCBB fans across the country will be tuning in. This is a Goliath v. Goliath game. The 2 best teams in the country squaring off face to face. One of them will suffer their first loss of the young season. If you're a WCBB fan, this is a game you don't want to miss. :cool:

Reaction Score

I just don't see us winning this game if we come in undefeated??? Does that suggest that if we lose before Notre Dame we have an increased likelihood to win at Notre Dame???? I'm a little confused about the logic of that type statement.

Reaction Score
UConn ALWAYS brings out the best in Notre Dame. UConn is their biggest game of the year, every year. They are sick and tired of being sick and tired about losing to UConn. They know THIS game will be the best opportunity they'll have to beat UConn for the foreseeable future. Don't be concerned about ND not playing well. Make no mistake about it, Muffet will have her team ready the play the Huskies on Dec 7.

Like the Florida State game, this one may come down to the last shot. This game will be on national TV. This will be the biggest game of the day in WCBB. WCBB fans across the country will be tuning in. This is a Goliath v. Goliath game. The 2 best teams in the country squaring off face to face. One of them will suffer their first loss of the young season. If you're a WCBB fan, this is a game you don't want to miss. :cool:
I'd heard the biggest game of the year would be when we play South Carolina. How many biggest games of the year are there going to be this year? Also, why is there a presumption that this Notre Dame team is going to be anywhere near as tough as other Notre Dame teams. They have lost players to graduation and their team chemistry might have been effected in a quite negative way. I'm not saying IT HAS but we always make assumptions regarding Notre Dame, don't we. I'm no longer as fearful of Notre Dame as I was because there was a time where the FLOPPERS had a hand in the way the game was officiated and we lost games to the Irish primarily due to foul trouble that was predicated on cheap fouls and flops that kept some of our better players out of the game or reluctant to add to fouls already charged to them. I think that mystic isn't as prevalent lately (thankfully). I'm not automatically assuming a UConn victory but I think I like the growth of this team already and would not bet against them. People think that Notre Dame might have something to prove and that may give them the edge but this UConn team has dealt with a lack of respect in the wake of the BIG THREE leaving and that chip on their shoulder might actually be something that continues to blossom and bite our would be threats!

Reaction Score
We disagree. We see things differently. The law of averages does exist. If you choose not to believe it can apply here, I'm OK with that. I stated MY opinion. Everyone has their own independent and personal opinion. While I welcome yours, I stand firmly by my post and it's content.

You have to have a very special team to go undefeated. Baylor had one with Griner. UConn had one with the BIG 3. This UConn team is full of potential, but it's not that kind of special.

This is not the first, nor will it be the last time a poster disagrees with my take. I'd be surprise if someone didn't. Everyone will not see the glass as half full. We'll see which one of us is right at the end of the season. BTW, Unless the rapture comes today, the sun will come up tomorrow. ;)
Your math is pretty bad, :) the law of average exists but not the way you are quoting it. Last year's result does not have any bearing on this year, which is prob covered in the first week of any probability and statistics course. Secondly since each of the 351 teams does not have the same opportunity/chance to win it all, the calculation become just a little more complicated than throwing a dice with 351 sides. (Unless you think Yale has the same chance of win it all as uconn.)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Your math is pretty bad, :) the law of average exists but not the way you are quoting it. Last year's result does not have any bearing on this year, which is prob covered in the first week of any probability and statistics course. Secondly since each of the 351 teams does not have the same opportunity/chance to win it all, the calculation become just a little more complicated than throwing a dice with 351 sides. (Unless you think Yale has the same chance of win it all as uconn.)

I was a history major in college. Math was never my strong suit. Whether those 351 teams have the same opportunity or not, is not the case. They do have an opportunity. I'm getting a lot of push back on this, so I'll try another approach. When I made the "law of averages" reference, this was my mindset:
Only ONE TIME has a Division 1 (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) WCBB team (UConn: 2009-2010) gone undefeated in back to back seasons. It was not done before UConn did it, and it has NOT been done since. Those are facts.

Per Wikipedia: In the women’s game, the following national championship teams have had perfect records since the AIAW began sponsoring a championship tournament in 1972 (which was followed by the NCAA tournament in 1982):

I'll use another example which I think supports my position on this. I'll use MLB pitcher Johnny Vander Meer as an example.
John Samuel Vander Meer (November 2, 1914 – October 6, 1997) was an American professional baseball player.[1] He played in Major League Baseball as a pitcher, most notably for the Cincinnati Reds.[1] Vander Meer was best known for being the only pitcher in Major League Baseball history to throw two consecutive no-hitters.

On June 11, 1938, Vander Meer pitched a no hitter against the Boston Braves.[7] Four days later against the Brooklyn Dodgers in what was the first night game ever held at Ebbets Field, he threw another no hitter, becoming the only man to ever throw two consecutive no hitters in the major leagues.[8][9] That record has stood for 78 years. It's become of of the records that has been labeled as "unbreakable" by many baseball writers and analysts. There are other records held in this high esteem i.e. DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak, Nolan Ryan's 7 career no hitters etc.

Here's my thought....No one did what Vander Meer did before or since. I hold UConn's record of consecutive undefeated seasons in the exact same regard. No team did it before they did, and no team has done it since. I'm not talking theory here, I'm talking FACTS. You can argue theory, you can't argue facts. My theory (guess) is because THIS year's UConn team that most thought (before the season began) would lose 1-2 games this year. Now, after only 4 games, and their most difficult games still ahead of them, all of a sudden have people coming out of the woodwork predicting another undefeated season for the Huskies...........something that's happened only once before.

You can use the law of averages, the law of probability, the law of improbability, or any other law that works for you. The fact that THIS team is not nearly as good as last year's team has somehow been lost in the shuffle. They have not replaced the BIG 3 in production or experience, so I'm not sure where this sudden tidal wave of unbridled optimism comes from. I'm saying IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!! UConn would have to win the national championship just like they did last year with no losses for this to happen. That means none of their "core 4" can sustain an injury that keeps them out of the lineup for an extended period of time. i.e., if Lou, Collier or Gabby suffers a minor injury in practice that causes them to miss the next 6-8 games, how do you think the team would fare? Crap happens. :confused: That's like asking a pitcher with a sore arm, to go out and throw a 9 inning complete game no hitter. Really? :eek:

Please understand that I'm rooting and pulling for UConn in every game they play. I will be as disappointed as everyone else when they lose. It's possible that they can win it all, but I think there will be a loss or two somewhere along the way. Some of you have real short memories. If that last second 3 point shot attempt had gone in for the Seminoles last week, we would not be having this dialog. UConn would have loss their opener by 1 point. Florida State was never on the list of programs many thought had a realistic chance of beating UConn this year, but they almost did. Crap happens!! And when it does, there's never any fanfare announcing it's arrival. You don't see it coming. It just pops up, and slaps you in the face. Just ask the 3 #1 seeds that lost in last year's NCAA tournament. They never saw it coming, but come it did.

Wrong or right, this is my thinking on UConn going undefeated again this season: Sure, records are made to be broken. Someday, another team will go undefeated back to back, but not THIS UConn team. Some day, a pitcher will throw two no-hitters back to back, and tie Vander Meer's record. A pitcher would have to throw 3 consecutive no-hitters in successive starts to break his record. And please remember, this is a completely different era than when Vander Meer did it. His record has stood TALL for 78 years. It will probably stand for another 78. After saying all of this, believe it or not, I hope I'm wrong, and UConn wins its 12th NC. :cool: You may not understand or agree with my logic, but it's mine, and it makes sense to me. When you write a post or comment here, you're expected to stand behind it, I am.........firmly. The Patriot/Jet game is about to start, I gotta go, bye. :)

Reaction Score
I really feel that Nurse can be the reason they DO NOT go undefeated this year. She has real limitations shooting the basketball and I'd much rather see Gabby in the lineup. She's so athletic and a great rebounder and it looks as if her shooting has improved appreciably. I know Nurse is solid defensively but I don't think there would be much of a difference in Gabby on the defensive end of the court. JMHO!
I would agree but I don't see Gabby playing more than 20-25 minutes without fouling out.

Reaction Score
I just don't see us winning this game if we come in undefeated??? Does that suggest that if we lose before Notre Dame we have an increased likelihood to win at Notre Dame???? I'm a little confused about the logic of that type statement.

No - it is more about ND when ND is playing at ND and we aren't a much superior team. We might be superior but not MUCH superior.

Don't you feel teams played better at home? They have a more likely chance to play over-their-heads at home than away, right?

What I was inferring is that ND is going to be primed to play UCONN (They always are but if ND is a favorite, they may feel more pressure. IF we're undefeated and favored they won't feel as much pressure, they will play more with a chip on their shoulder. The more they play with a chip on their shoulder, the more fight they have, the more they will play with less pressure and the more the atmosphere may influence the refs. Especially that ND is known for being a big GIANT killer on all of their sports.) .

And if UCONN comes in undefeated and the game is close in the lase two minutes, the history of ND and the history of poor refs (which is why I referred to one game we lost a few years ago there in which I felt the refs totally burned us - they burned us because of a combination of refs incompetence and the refs crumbled under the atmosphere.) - and if ND is considered an underdog while we may be considered a favorite- I think less likely we win. For example, if game is close down the stretch, if Allen or Ogunbowale drives to the basket, expect a foul to be called. If Turner is bumped late, expect a foul call. I think the refs are most likely to make a call against UCONN if they are still "the Giant/ favored to win." We all know of UCONN's streak, I'm sure the refs know too. I'm a bit concerned of the refs late game over-compensation just like what happened a few years ago at ND.

Reaction Score
I'd heard the biggest game of the year would be when we play South Carolina. How many biggest games of the year are there going to be this year? Also, why is there a presumption that this Notre Dame team is going to be anywhere near as tough as other Notre Dame teams. They have lost players to graduation and their team chemistry might have been effected in a quite negative way. I'm not saying IT HAS but we always make assumptions regarding Notre Dame, don't we. I'm no longer as fearful of Notre Dame as I was because there was a time where the FLOPPERS had a hand in the way the game was officiated and we lost games to the Irish primarily due to foul trouble that was predicated on cheap fouls and flops that kept some of our better players out of the game or reluctant to add to fouls already charged to them. I think that mystic isn't as prevalent lately (thankfully). I'm not automatically assuming a UConn victory but I think I like the growth of this team already and would not bet against them. People think that Notre Dame might have something to prove and that may give them the edge but this UConn team has dealt with a lack of respect in the wake of the BIG THREE leaving and that chip on their shoulder might actually be something that continues to blossom and bite our would be threats!

I disagree. You may not be fearful but I am. Our team this year is prone to foul more than ever thus foul trouble is even more likely when we're playing at ND. I think playing away from home will hurt CD a bit more going against Allen whom I consider one of the nation's best pg's.

And if what you're saying is prevalent, ND will take the game as them getting "a lack of respect."

Reaction Score
SCspur- - - You state SoCar has 5 players capable of scoring in double figures, but that is vs the usual WBB defense, not the type of defense that UCONN brings to the table night in and night out! Even with the Big 3 gone the Huskies defense is rounding into the defense that us BYers have come to love! Holding teams to between 40 and 55 points, and since our offense has those 5 players that CAN usually score in double figures it looks like a long unsuccessful night for the opposition!
That is what most fans of opponents always forgets, that their teams usual performance is not the performance they can give vs the Huskies stifling defense!

UConn gave up 76 to FSU, 61 to Baylor. I would say that its an open question which team will not have their usual night. Look forward to seeing the test.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just as a matter of record (fact), the season is only 2 weeks old, and already 18 of the top 25 teams have already suffered a loss. The season is approx. 4.5 months long. Still a lot of time left.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I agree with the overall content of your post, with one minor exception: I think you may have misread my comment. I wrote: "UConn is their biggest game of the year, every year". The "their" being Notre Dame (UConn is usually ranked above them, and they haven't beaten the Huskies in a while). Notre Dame is not necessarily UConn's biggest game of the season. That would be the championship game of the NCAA tournament, as it has been the last 4 years.

To answer your question as to "how many "biggest games" of the year are there going to be? It depends on who you talk to. Some folks have (or declare) a "biggest game of the year" a couple of times a month. They forget they've already declared several past games as such. I agree with you, I don't fear Notre Dame nearly as much as I do South Carolina. Their twin towers have matured, and are playing very well (so far) off of each other. They both start, and are in the game together most of the time. Stewart and Tuck were able to neutralize (foul trouble) Coates and Wilson most of the time the last two games.

South Carolina beat #4 ranked Louisville today by 24. The Cardinals were undefeated at 6-0 coming in to the game. The Gamecocks were their first ranked opponent this season. SC held them to 29 points in the first half, 30 in the second. That's not going to get it done when you play the BIG boys. It would not surprise me if UConn sees South Carolina again sometime in March. I don't think lightning will strike twice. I think they make the final four this year for sure.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I can't see us beating ND at ND.

Especially if Gabby has a "relapse", and gets into foul trouble in the first quarter, and has to sit the remainder of the half. A lot of her fouls lately have been offensive fouls.

Reaction Score
Especially if Gabby has a "relapse", and gets into foul trouble in the first quarter, and has to sit the remainder of the half. A lot of her fouls lately have been offensive fouls.

Forgive me-- but I can't put your post as a "LIKE!!!" Because if Gabby DOES get into foul trouble and we do lose -- I can only put up a "Maximum hate!!!!" - which isn't allowed.

Yes I do admit it--- I can HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Forgive me-- but I can't put your post as a "LIKE!!!" Because if Gabby DOES get into foul trouble and we do lose -- I can only put up a "Maximum hate!!!!" - which isn't allowed.

Yes I do admit it--- I can HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. :oops:

Reaction Score
Watching L'ville play SoCar today was like watching teeth being pulled! Once L'ville lost Hines-Allen to 2 fouls in the 1st 1/2 L'ville just crumbled! Even when she returned in the 2nd 1/2 she looked out of sorts. Yes it's still early but the 'ville looked completely lost! I can't see L'ville making the Final 4!
When Gabby, who everyone agrees is one of UCONN's vital players sat out with fouls in the FSU game and to a lesser effect in the Baylor game the Huskies fought and found a way and pulled out a victory in both games!
Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray add to SoCar's offense but IMHO doesn't add to their defensive play as much as Mitchell and Sessions who graduated did! I don't think SoCar wants to get into an offensive shoot out with UCONN come Feb. 13th! Because even in a shoot out UCONN plays better "D"! And will give SoCar more dry periods than SoCar will give dry periods to UCONN!
Gabby vs Dayton (not a tough test) had no fouls and a double double! She's getting smarter!
So if the sun rises in the east, and all things considered, UCONN will edge SoCar!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If UCONN goes undefeated that will be a plus for Baylor when it's time for seeds to be handed out for the NCAA tourney. If UCONN loses to SC, ND and MD that would not be a good thing for Baylor. So please don't lose more than two games!

After watching SC this weekend they look REALLY tough. Wilson and Coates on the inside and Davis and Gray on the perimeter are about as strong of a starting four as there is in WCBB this season. If Cuevas can play within herself and they can get just a little bench help, they are going to be really hard to beat.

Reaction Score
If UConn goes undefeated this season I'll walk on my tippy-toes from the XL Center to Gampel wearing only a Tutu
We will definitely be watching for that, even though I needed no more motivation to root for an undefeated season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom