What's the likelihood of going undefeated? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What's the likelihood of going undefeated?

What's the likelihood of another undefeated season?

• 100%

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • 60%

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • 40%

Votes: 34 19.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 41 23.8%
  • 0%

Votes: 35 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If UCONN goes undefeated that will be a plus for Baylor when it's time for seeds to be handed out for the NCAA tourney. If UCONN loses to SC, ND and MD that would not be a good thing for Baylor. So please don't lose more than two games!

After watching SC this weekend they look REALLY tough. Wilson and Coates on the inside and Davis and Gray on the perimeter are about as strong of a starting four as there is in WCBB this season. If Cuevas can play within herself and they can get just a little bench help, they are going to be really hard to beat.

I watched that game too. I agree with your observations. South Carolina handled Louisville with little effort. Coates and Wilson have matured, and are playing very well together. They worked their hi-lo plays perfectly. That play will be hard for any team to stop. They are the elephant in the room, and appear early on to be a very tough opponent.

TIP IN - This may be the year UConn loses it's first AAC conference game. I'm NOT predicting anything here, I'm just waving a red "caution" flag. I am suggesting that this game may not as "automatic" as it has been in the past. Both teams are different this time around. Univ of South Florida (USF) is 4-0. They've played 2 majors (North Carolina & Georgia), and two mid-majors (Jacksonville & No. Florida). They are a big team, they have size. USF always plays the Huskies tough.

Looking at the rest of their schedule between now and their date with the Huskies on Jan 10, they only have un-ranked mid-majors scheduled. They could very easily be undefeated going into that game. They lost their three best players to graduation (Williams, Stringfield & Jenkins), but head coach Jose Fernandez has restocked the team with some talented players that should allow them to continue their quest of becoming ranked, and contend for a birth in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Watching L'ville play SoCar today was like watching teeth being pulled! Once L'ville lost Hines-Allen to 2 fouls in the 1st 1/2 L'ville just crumbled! Even when she returned in the 2nd 1/2 she looked out of sorts. Yes it's still early but the 'ville looked completely lost! I can't see L'ville making the Final 4!
When Gabby, who everyone agrees is one of UCONN's vital players sat out with fouls in the FSU game and to a lesser effect in the Baylor game the Huskies fought and found a way and pulled out a victory in both games!
Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray add to SoCar's offense but IMHO doesn't add to their defensive play as much as Mitchell and Sessions who graduated did! I don't think SoCar wants to get into an offensive shoot out with UCONN come Feb. 13th! Because even in a shoot out UCONN plays better "D"! And will give SoCar more dry periods than SoCar will give dry periods to UCONN!
Gabby vs Dayton (not a tough test) had no fouls and a double double! She's getting smarter!
So if the sun rises in the east, and all things considered, UCONN will edge SoCar!

I guess we really pose a problem since all your post revolves around UCONN and SC. Don't forget we play pretty good defense as well. UCONN has tons more games to play before February and I don't think its wise to overlook ND, TX, and MD. Especially how close MD and ND were last year anything could happen yet your constantly speaking like the teams will play tomorrow. It's early in the season and Gray and Davis are still finding their identities so don't think all the miscues and defensive lapses will happen often in February when the game is on the live versus the four time defending national champions. I can absolutely guarantee you that both Gray and Davis will be on their A game come then (barring injuries).

Reaction Score
UConn gave up 76 to FSU, 61 to Baylor. I would say that its an open question which team will not have their usual night. Look forward to seeing the test.
What you see is a UConn team finding their defensive chemistry and after replacing three pretty impressive starters whose defense was off the charts, it takes a bit of time. We lost our last game at Stanford a couple of years ago in the second game of the year where we had lost two starters and the primary reason was defensive lapses. That game would have been an easy win if it happened a month later when they had gotten their roles down pat. Our winning streak right now would be something like 155 games had they played Stanford later. As you suggested, we struggled a bit in the first few games defensively but you do know what direction we are going in now, don't you??? By the time the Gamecocks come in, you'll know the pain of testing the UConn defense. It won't be pretty, to say the least!

Reaction Score
I watched that game too. I agree with your observations. South Carolina handled Louisville with little effort. Coates and Wilson have matured, and are playing very well together. They worked their hi-lo plays perfectly. That play will be hard for any team to stop. They are the elephant in the room, and appear early on to be a very tough opponent.

TIP IN - This may be the year UConn loses it's first AAC conference game. I'm NOT predicting anything here, I'm just waving a red "caution" flag. I am suggesting that this game may not as "automatic" as it has been in the past. Both teams are different this time around. Univ of South Florida (USF) is 4-0. They've played 2 majors (North Carolina & Georgia), and two mid-majors (Jacksonville & No. Florida). They are a big team, they have size. USF always plays the Huskies tough.

Looking at the rest of their schedule between now and their date with the Huskies on Jan 10, they only have un-ranked mid-majors scheduled. They could very easily be undefeated going into that game. They lost their three best players to graduation (Williams, Stringfield & Jenkins), but head coach Jose Fernandez has restocked the team with some talented players that should allow them to continue their quest of becoming ranked, and contend for a birth in the NCAA tournament.
Why would anyone be concerned with South Florida being undefeated? They have a good team and a good coach but their being undefeated has absolutely nothing to do with what will happen in that game. If they're playing and beating mediocre teams between now and then, what do you think that will do to prepare them for UConn?? If anything, it may actually be the worst possible thing for them because maybe they'd be cocky about not having lost. Do you think that it would intimidate the Huskies?? Surely not with Geno and Chris and the staff preparing them. The Huskies play the way they play, game in and game out and the fact that UConn never takes a game off despite their opponent bodes well for the Huskies and not so well for USF. I don't necessarily feel it'll be a cakewalk but I don't think it inspires fear with the Huskie staff.

Reaction Score
I guess we really pose a problem since all your post revolves around UCONN and SC. Don't forget we play pretty good defense as well. UCONN has tons more games to play before February and I don't think its wise to overlook ND, TX, and MD. Especially how close MD and ND were last year anything could happen yet your constantly speaking like the teams will play tomorrow. It's early in the season and Gray and Davis are still finding their identities so don't think all the miscues and defensive lapses will happen often in February when the game is on the live versus the four time defending national champions. I can absolutely guarantee you that both Gray and Davis will be on their A game come then (barring injuries).
SC will be a much improved team by then but so will Uconn. The one area that the Huskies seem to play well come March and April is defense. The last 2 years I thought SC would have been better off with Coates sitting against Uconn. For one to give more space for Aja but also Welch was their best big with 17pts in 2015 and last year the grad. player was really good offensively( cant remember her name) for them. The other thing about Uconn is they have lost 18 games at Gampel since 1990 and that comes out to . 67 games a year. So even the so called off years the Huskies defend their domain!

Reaction Score
That's a little presumptuous to think that Gray and Davis will be on their A game. I've seen a number of really good players play anything but their best on the biggest of stages and this game will surely be on South Carolina's schedule as the biggest game of the year, particularly considering how UConn in the last couple of meetings pretty much embarrassed them. The sting from those losses surely isn't forgotten and the spotlight will be on. Maybe they will show up and play well but UConn's defense is a different animal than just about any team in the country historically and I think they're only just jelling this season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why would anyone be concerned with South Florida being undefeated? They have a good team and a good coach but their being undefeated has absolutely nothing to do with what will happen in that game. If they're playing and beating mediocre teams between now and then, what do you think that will do to prepare them for UConn?? If anything, it may actually be the worst possible thing for them because maybe they'd be cocky about not having lost. Do you think that it would intimidate the Huskies?? Surely not with Geno and Chris and the staff preparing them. The Huskies play the way they play, game in and game out and the fact that UConn never takes a game off despite their opponent bodes well for the Huskies and not so well for USF. I don't necessarily feel it'll be a cakewalk but I don't think it inspires fear with the Huskie staff.

Well, the fans of USF are concerned about their progress and their modest win streak thus far. They are considered "anyone". There are also fans of WCBB in general that are concerned. I shared this tidbit with those in the yard that I thought may be interested in the status of UConn's biggest conference rival. Obviously you're not one of them. While my post was of no interest to you, I'm sure others found it informative. Regardless of their record when they meet, UConn had better not make the mistake of taking them for granted as you obviously are.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I know everyone will get mad at me for asking this question, so please refrain from negative comments in that regard....but after watching the first several games of the year, I think it's definitely plausible. Talent wise, I don't think there's a team that has better talent than Connecticut with the exception being potentially South Carolina. You have:

Williams/Collier-extremely athletic forwards who can defend multiple positions, score from 3 point land, mid ranger and in the paid, both rebound well and both are equally comfortable being scorers or role players.

Chong/Dangerfield-one of the better point guard combos in the nation. Dangerfield is one of the better freshman point guards we've seen in a while. She looks so steady and confident out there. Always under control, a capable scorer, can run the offense and beat you off the dribble. She looks like Jefferson as a seasoned sophomore. Chong isn't quite as dynamic as Dangerfield, but she is quietly very very good. They make a great 1-2 punch.

KLS-one of the better forwards in the nation. A great shooter who looks confident and aggressive this year. Averaging 22 a game.

Natalie Butler-a blue collar big player who can hit shots inside, fights for rebounds and is physical. Adds a different dimension off the bench. She isn't a go to player, but she plays her role well.

Nurse-A bit underwhelmed by her to start the year, but she brings physical play and toughness. I expect she'll pick up her shooting as the season goes on. At least she isn't jacking up bad shots, she's just missing good looks.

Besides SC, no other team has a lineup quite like UCONN's where there are 4 players who could easily lead team in scoring night in night now. Most importantly, UOCNN plays really cohesive basketball together. In 3/4 games they've had a positive A/TO ratio, including both wins against a highly ranked team. They shoot well and play hard 100% of the time. Defensively, they aren't great but they'll improve as the year goes on. On an off day, I think there are only a few teams that can hang with or beat UCONN.

Looking at the schedule, the only teams left with talent to compete with UCONN are:
Texas (H)....they have talent but they just don't appear to be a good team. I don't see them hanging within 15 of UCONN.

Notre Dame (A)...definitely a game UCONN could lose. Ogunbowale is one of the best guards in the nation, Allen might be the best point guard in the nation, and everyone in the lineup can score. If ND shoots well from deep, it'll be a tough win for UCONN.

Ohio State (H)....I don't see it happening. Ohio State doesn't play well enough as a team to hang with UCONN IMO. And the game is in Connecticut.

Maryland (A)...another game that could be lost. Maryland is quite good and they have one of their best rosters this year. I don't think they'll upset UCONN because they don't defend particularly well, but it could be a tight game.

South Carolina (H)....definitely a game that UCONN could lose. SC has 4 outstanding scorers, each of whom can create matchup problems for Connecticut. They also play great defense. However, SC is traditionally a bad offensive team. They have more weapons this year, but if they struggle to score against Connecticut, they wont win.

If UCONN can get past those big 3, they'll be undefeated entering the NCAA tournament, and will likely waltz to the Final Four in typical UCONN fashion. At the Final Four, anything could happen this year with the talent spread, but I'd still bet on UCONN to win.

I'd put the odds right now at about 40%. It may seem high, but UCONN has lost one game in the last 3 years and this team looks good. You have Geno running the show, and no one else in WCBB has looked all that amazing to start the year. Teams will improve as the year goes on, but UCONN will too, and the Huskies have as much upside as anyone considering they are still figuring out roles and systems without Tuck/Jefferson/Stewart. I think Notre Dame is the biggest hurdle. If they can knock off Notre Dame, odds jump up to 60-70% in my book.

I've read all of the responses here, some are interesting. Allow me to bottom line it. I know this is not a revelation, just food for thought. Only 1 team can go undefeated this year, or any year, like UConn last year. That would be the team that wins all six NCAA tournament games, and is the last team standing. EVERYONE else will lose a game. Now, the question is who that team will be.
Of course this can only occur if that team is undefeated going in to the tournament. It's possible that the team that wins it all, will suffer a loss on the way to the tournament, like UConn did two years ago.

Reaction Score
. . . I see them loosing to ND, Maryland and SC. . .

Yes, these are the three teams that I am worried about too. Buzzyboy says it's 200 - 1 that we lose to all
three. I hope he's right. I fear he may be wrong.

Reaction Score

SCspur- - - Yes SoCar will improve before Feb. 13th but so will UCONN and I'll tell you what, I like my coaches rate of improvement history compared to your coaches rate of improvement history any day of the week and twice on Sunday! Where was SoCar's rate of improvement when you couldn't make the FF as a #1 seed last year?

Reaction Score
SCspur- - - Yes SoCar will improve before Feb. 13th but so will UCONN and I'll tell you what, I like my coaches rate of improvement history compared to your coaches rate of improvement history any day of the week and twice on Sunday! Where was SoCar's rate of improvement when you couldn't make the FF as a #1 seed last year?

One thing for sure your coach is one of the greatest coaches in the history of WCBB so that is expected. Never did I say that Dawn's team was going to improve far more than the huskies did I? Oh Ok my response was to the fact that you were penciling in a automatic victory like your god. Anything can happen and this is not the same SC or UCONN team as last year or the previous one so you cant say that huskies will automatically win. I have tons of respect for Geno and UCONN but I swear sometimes the fans act like their the ones on the floor playing the game, like do you even know how to play basketball? seriously.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For our SC fans, I think come Feb. is going to be a "barn burner" of a game!

Who's guards will prevail? That will answer many questions for both teams. I really don't see a blow out. We will witness two evenly matched teams go toe to toe - as it should be. We will see two coaches match wits and strategy. Let's hope the zebras don't make a mess of things.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure your coach is one of the greatest coaches in the history of WCBB so that is expected. Never did I say that Dawn's team was going to improve far more than the huskies did I? Oh Ok my response was to the fact that you were penciling in a automatic victory like your god. Anything can happen and this is not the same SC or UCONN team as last year or the previous one so you cant say that huskies will automatically win. I have tons of respect for Geno and UCONN but I swear sometimes the fans act like their the ones on the floor playing the game, like do you even know how to play basketball? seriously.

SCspur- - - -I am in no way predicting an automatic victory of the Huskies over SoCar or any other team! There are no automatic victories in any sport, you are right anything can happen!
But The BONEYARD has seen it's share of SoCar, Notre Dame, TN, Baylor, MD, etc fans come on our site and brag and "mouth off" over their teams abilities both offensively and defensively how their WBB team were going to kick the CT Huskies butts all over the court then have UCONN win by 20+ points!
Remember, you're coming to OUR site, not the other way around, what did you expect, "you're right UCONN has lost 3 great players and we have no shot to win on Feb. 13th or any other date!" UCONN's fans are going to defend their girls at all times and we don't apologize for it! And until another team wins the National Title our girls heads bear the crown!
And UCONN may get beat once or twice during this season but that doesn't mean they won't be holding the NCAA Trophy after the Finals in April! So the one to be humble is you, because until SoCar has 11 Championships, 4 in a row, and all the hardware Geno and his team have collected since 1995, SoCar have accomplished nothing, IMHO of course!

Reaction Score
SCspur- - - -I am in no way predicting an automatic victory of the Huskies over SoCar or any other team! There are no automatic victories in any sport, you are right anything can happen!
But The BONEYARD has seen it's share of SoCar, Notre Dame, TN, Baylor, MD, etc fans come on our site and brag and "mouth off" over their teams abilities both offensively and defensively how their WBB team were going to kick the CT Huskies butts all over the court then have UCONN win by 20+ points!
Remember, you're coming to OUR site, not the other way around, what did you expect, "you're right UCONN has lost 3 great players and we have no shot to win on Feb. 13th or any other date!" UCONN's fans are going to defend their girls at all times and we don't apologize for it! And until another team wins the National Title our girls heads bear the crown!
And UCONN may get beat once or twice during this season but that doesn't mean they won't be holding the NCAA Trophy after the Finals in April! So the one to be humble is you, because until SoCar has 11 Championships, 4 in a row, and all the hardware Geno and his team have collected since 1995, SoCar have accomplished nothing, IMHO of course!

Their you go bragging again look you obviously have no life and I honestly could care less about you and what you think even Geno had to bring UConn from somewhere so I think we've accomplished a lot being that our school cared nothing about Basketball and now look both our Men's and Women's team are ranked. Anyways I'll let you have your opinion because I don't really give a crap about it so continue on to whatever it is you do...

Reaction Score
Well, the fans of USF are concerned about their progress and their modest win streak thus far. They are considered "anyone". There are also fans of WCBB in general that are concerned. I shared this tidbit with those in the yard that I thought may be interested in the status of UConn's biggest conference rival. Obviously you're not one of them. While my post was of no interest to you, I'm sure others found it informative. Regardless of their record when they meet, UConn had better not make the mistake of taking them for granted as you obviously are.
I didn't mean to be offensive. What I probably didn't do a good job communicating is that I think Geno always has focused on having his team play their "A" game regardless of their opponent. He wants them to never take a play off and if they do that, things will take care of themselves. He surely doesn't feel he has to continually prompt them to always respect the game and themselves by playing each possession at their best. I'm inclined to think that he rarely, if ever, had to talk up any opponent because his expectation has always been they'll always play to the highest level they can. If there is a team in their conference to be concerned about, I would say it was USF because their coach and his staff recruit well and always has his team ready to play. I think all the focus has been about the out of conference schedule as to where the biggest threats of losing are.

Reaction Score
For the last 3 yrs Uconn and their fans have listened how SC is playing so well and they are the team to beat. Uconn lost to Stanford by 2pts in OT on Nov.17,2014. South Carolina is voted in No.1 and to be honest Uconn should have never lost that spot. It did happen before when Uconn lost 1 game as the no.1 and remained there after the lost. I want to say 2000 when Tenn beat them by 1 pt but Huskies won NC (2nd one over Tenn). The game wasnt even close 87-52 and I predicted 82-57. Still the 25 pt margin of victory and the kids got there wings for scoring over 82. I wonder if that restaurant has insurance to cover all the free wings they giveaway , lol. Before that game the media was promoting SC as the best team in WCBB, SC had a freshman tell the media as soon as she got her schedule. She circled the date as it was reported before the game from Doris Burke. Also fans of SC coming on here and talking trash. Last year the same thing but not quite as bad. It was a 12 pt Uconn win and it wasnt that close to break SC 45 home game winning streak. For SC this is all new territory and every year it ends up being after a big win they want to crown the Gamecocks and IMO because of Dawn( I am a fan ) they get more than they deserve. Really havent done anything yet except win 3 SEC titles. Geno is the Best WCBB Ever but also one of the Best in any sport all-time! This includes Pat Summit who Geno beat all 4 times when they played for the NC! My fellow Uconn Fans are very Knowledgable about this team and some may have played the game, or coached the game and some may not have but we all love this Dynamic Program that is UCWBB. RSHERMVIKES is one of the great Posters on this sight and I dont know if he played or coached but he definately Knows his stuff! So that question you asked him is a bunch of you know what! People only write that when they cant come back with anything else! This is Uconn Country and we will defend Our Own!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My prediction for the SC-UCONN game...

Saniya Chong will lead UCONN to VICTORY!!!!

Yes, I'm out on a limb.

Reaction Score
COM'MON, and nobody gets hurt and nobody fouls out and nobody misses and we jive for five.

Now that UCONN is 4 & 0 looking at the next set of games:
1. Chattanooga - Jim Foster takes another hit to the chin from his buddy!.
2. DePaul - Best friend Doug Bruno always gives Geno a tough game but as good a shooting team as they have, traditionally they've been slower and UCONN out runs them to a victory!
3. Texas - Tall & athletic but slower and not as good defensively yet to beat UCONN!
4. Notre Dame - Geno still has The Muffett's number! Same game plan as before. The G's are about even, and they only have one good big, and her game is limited to 8' to 10' from the basket. Our bigs are more talented and can stretch the court from basket to 3 point line, so we have more ways to score! Our defense is starting to round into shape, watch out Golden Domers!
5. Kansas State - Better but still not in UCONN's league!
6. The Ohio State - Lots of talent especially adding the transfers, but they're not a great defense team so Geno shuts down top scorer and UCONN wins!
7. Nebraska - Traditionally good shooters but slow, so UCONN speed & defense comes out on top by 20+!
8. Maryland - Geno doesn't like Miss Pep Talk so he'll find a way for his players to pull a victory out!
9. South Carolina - If they get this far undefeated they would have ironed out their defensive problems and established a pecking order on offense and SoCar still seems to have a problem scoring 70+ points vs good opponents so I'd like UCONN's chances in this game! UCONN has a lot of possible scorers!
Not easily but if healthy they have 9 really good athlete's that play UCONN style BB and they do have that "chip on their shoulder!"
r
OK Kicker, it looks like you want to get technical over a simple harmless prediction that I made. Let's do it.
Point #1: You said: "The probability that that same team would do it again the year following an undefeated season is still exactly the same as it was any other year."
My take on that point: I don't agree. Unless EVERY player from the previous year's team came back, that team IS NOT the same team. Seniors leave, freshmen come in. So that illustration won't fly.
Point 2: The schedules are NOT the same from year to year. NO TEAM plays the exact same schedule every year. Their OOC schedule is different, and the teams they play in the NCAA tournament are different every year.
Here's the logic I used in making my prediction:
Teams entering the tournament unbeaten since 1986 - (30 years)

Of the 16 teams who have entered the tournament unbeaten, 9 went on to win the National Championship.[6]

• In 1986, Texas entered the tournament 30–0, beat USC for the national title, and ended the season 34–0.
  • In 1990, Louisiana Tech entered the tournament 29–0, but lost in the Final Four to Auburn.
  • In 1992, Vermont entered the tournament 29–0, but lost in the first round to George Washington.
  • In 1993, Vermont entered the tournament 28–0, but lost in the first round to Rutgers.
  • In 1995, Connecticut entered the tournament 29–0, beat Tennessee for the national title, and ended the season 35–0.
  • In 1997, Connecticut entered the tournament 30–0, but lost in the Midwest Regional Final to Tennessee.
  • In 1998, Tennessee (33–0) and Liberty (28–0) both entered the tournament unbeaten; Liberty lost in the first round to Tennessee, which went on to beat Louisiana Tech for the national title and ended the season 39–0.
  • In 2002, 2009, and 2010, Connecticut entered the tournament 33–0, won the national title in each, and ended those seasons 39–0. They beat Oklahoma, Louisville, and Stanford, respectively.
  • In 2012, Baylor entered the tournament 34-0, beat Notre Dame for the national title, and ended the season 40-0. The Lady Bears became the first team in NCAA college basketball history, for either women or men, to win 40 games in a season. Notably, Louisiana Tech went 40-5 during the 1979-80 season. This was during the AIAW era for women's basketball.
  • In 2014, Connecticut (34–0) and Notre Dame (32–0) both entered the tournament unbeaten; Connecticut beat Notre Dame 79-58 for the national title, ended the season 40-0 and is the 8th team to end the season unbeaten.
  • In 2015, Princeton entered the tournament 30–0, but lost in the second round to Maryland.
  • In 2016, Connecticut entered the tournament 32-0, beat Syracuse for the national title to end the season 38-0.
The last NON-UConn team to go all the way was Baylor in 2012, 4 years ago. Before that the last non-UConn team to do it was Tennessee in 1998, 18 years ago. After this year, it will be 19!!!!! I agree it's not random. I could have waited until the first of the year to make a more informed prediction, it would have a lot easier. The games UConn have a good chance of losing would have been behind them, but I didn't. That would have been easy.

Last year's UConn team was special, very special. They won all of the scheduled games. The 2012 Baylor team was special, they too won all of their games. THIS year's UConn team is NOT that kind of special. I don't know how to get that across. They are not as good as last year's team. EVERYBODY knows that. They are not that deep, and they are a young team still looking for leadership from within. They are not a dominant team.

Before the season, most posters, BY commenters and WCBB analysts ALL predicted that UConn would lose a game or two this year. Now, just 4 games into the season, some here in the yard are beginning to back away from their earlier pronouncements. I was one of the ones that thought there was no way THIS team could win them all. I'm standing fast on that thought.
The 2014-2015 UConn team was much better that this year's team, right? They had the BIG 3, plus KML and Kiah Stokes. Well they lost one.

I attended that game in Palo Alto in 2014. If UConn had played Stanford first, then UC Davis, I believe they would have beaten Stanford. UConn had just come from blowing out UC Davis 3 nights before. They were riding high on a sea of unbridled confidence. They had just blown out a team by 50-60 points, and figured that Stanford would not be that much of a problem. They no doubt figured they would just go into to Maples Pavilion, handle their business, and go home. Guess what, crap happened. They were not ready to play Stanford that night, but Stanford was ready to play them. Tara Van Derveer had her girls frothing at the mouth ready to tear in the Huskies. From the tip to the buzzer, they never let up. The tension and fan hype in the arena that night did not come across on TV. You had to be there. The same can happen to this team. It only takes one.

Last year the other 3 #1 seeds all had tickets in hand, room reservations made, and site seeing itineraries planned for their trip to Indianapolis for the final 4, but crap happened. None of them made it. UConn has fallen back towards the pack some. Before it was UConn, a large gap, then everybody else. Not this year. The gap has closed. We'll see just how much in the days and weeks to come.
I understand about us having Geno and they don't. Geno has lost games before, and he'll do it again.

While this team has great potential, they can lose one. Again I remind you, crap happens. It came real close to happening the first game. We can go around and around with this all weekend. Neither one of us is going to budge off of our positions. So we'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that. When UConn loses a game, my point will have been made. If they don't, yours will. I hope my theory is wrong, and they win #12. :rolleyes:

Reality is on your side, the undefeated crowd will have to suck it up. Uconn doesn't have Stewie back there to clean up the defensive lapses.

Reaction Score
For the last 3 yrs Uconn and their fans have listened how SC is playing so well and they are the team to beat. Uconn lost to Stanford by 2pts in OT on Nov.17,2014. South Carolina is voted in No.1 and to be honest Uconn should have never lost that spot. It did happen before when Uconn lost 1 game as the no.1 and remained there after the lost. I want to say 2000 when Tenn beat them by 1 pt but Huskies won NC (2nd one over Tenn). The game wasnt even close 87-52 and I predicted 82-57. Still the 25 pt margin of victory and the kids got there wings for scoring over 82. I wonder if that restaurant has insurance to cover all the free wings they giveaway , lol. Before that game the media was promoting SC as the best team in WCBB, SC had a freshman tell the media as soon as she got her schedule. She circled the date as it was reported before the game from Doris Burke. Also fans of SC coming on here and talking trash. Last year the same thing but not quite as bad. It was a 12 pt Uconn win and it wasnt that close to break SC 45 home game winning streak. For SC this is all new territory and every year it ends up being after a big win they want to crown the Gamecocks and IMO because of Dawn( I am a fan ) they get more than they deserve. Really havent done anything yet except win 3 SEC titles. Geno is the Best WCBB Ever but also one of the Best in any sport all-time! This includes Pat Summit who Geno beat all 4 times when they played for the NC! My fellow Uconn Fans are very Knowledgable about this team and some may have played the game, or coached the game and some may not have but we all love this Dynamic Program that is UCWBB. RSHERMVIKES is one of the great Posters on this sight and I dont know if he played or coached but he definately Knows his stuff! So that question you asked him is a bunch of you know what! People only write that when they cant come back with anything else! This is Uconn Country and we will defend Our Own!!!

I think you are being a little sensitive. I don't recall that many people were predicting us to beat UConn last year, and not sure anyone picked us two years ago.

We may have had the ranking but that's just the way polls work sometimes. You hold it till you lose.

I do think, suspect, hope, that USC has a better shot at UConn in a transition year minus that core of players. Jefferson and Stewart were really special players and the whole team was a cohesive unit with out weaknesses.

Carolina was not good enough at point guard or at the Roy/Dozier spot in the lineup to beat UConn. To a degree, Carolina was playing 3 on 5 offensively against a team like UConn.

Point guard is still iffy, but I think the other four spots are plenty talented enough.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think you are being a little sensitive. I don't recall that many people were predicting us to beat UConn last year, and not sure anyone picked us two years ago.

We may have had the ranking but that's just the way polls work sometimes. You hold it till you lose.

I do think, suspect, hope, that USC has a better shot at UConn in a transition year minus that core of players. Jefferson and Stewart were really special players and the whole team was a cohesive unit with out weaknesses.

Carolina was not good enough at point guard or at the Roy/Dozier spot in the lineup to beat UConn. To a degree, Carolina was playing 3 on 5 offensively against a team like UConn.

Point guard is still iffy, but I think the other four spots are plenty talented enough.

Im confused :confused:

;)

Reaction Score

Not sensitive at all ! Just about everyone in the SEC did pick you guys last year until they get thumped by the Huskies. Two years ago Uconn should not have lost their no.1 ranking when they lost to Stanford but South Carolina received it. After 2 straight NCs and a 2 pt. OT lost to a team ranked in the top 5. Polls are polls right. In 1999-2000 season Uconn lost to Tennessee by 1 pt. in Connecticut and they were still No.1 for the Whole Season. They played 2 regular season games that year and the Huskies won at TBA by 7 pts. The only team that should have been ahead in that poll in 2015 was Stanford because they beat them. Now scspur asked a fellow BYer sarcasticcally mind you if he even played or coached. IMO should not have been asked! Everyone has the right to their opinion and here is mine. Played and coached a long time. Played against some players that kids have on their XBOX. When someone talked trash or did a dirty play against a teammate or myself. The next time they drove the lane. They were fouled really hard next time in the lane. Of course I went for the ball. They never came in the lane much after that. Group up in the years of the enforcer Maurice Lucas was a favorite! Sensitive no, very competitive absolutely!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't know what will happen in the UCONN vs. SC game, but I can say that from what I have seen, SC is playing maybe the best ball in the country at the moment. But then again, I haven't seen Tennessee play yet. ;)
Not so much with losing to Duke.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
From a purely mechanical point of view, suppose that the Huskies have a 50-50 probability of losing to ND, SCAR and Md., and also of losing in either the semi-finals or finals at the dance. (Their chances of losing to anyone else, bar major injuries, are negligible.) To get the probability (purely mechanic, and given the above assumptions), their probability of going undefeated for the season are all of their winning probabilities multiplied together; 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 or 1/32. Similarly, if you give them a 60% prob or winning in each of those games, then the odds in favor are 6/10 to the 5th power or 7776/100,000, or about 7.8%.
Substitute in your own estimate of their probability of winning each of those five games (and maybe add in SFU), multiply each of the winning probabilities together to get the probability of their going undefeated for the season. A very optimistic .9 probability for each game would still leave a probability of winning them all of only 59%. It ain't an easy thing to do. (Unless, of course, you have Stewie, and Morgan and Moriah!)

Reaction Score
From a purely mechanical point of view, suppose that the Huskies have a 50-50 probability of losing to ND, SCAR and Md., and also of losing in either the semi-finals or finals at the dance. (Their chances of losing to anyone else, bar major injuries, are negligible.) To get the probability (purely mechanic, and given the above assumptions), their probability of going undefeated for the season are all of their winning probabilities multiplied together; 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 or 1/32. Similarly, if you give them a 60% prob or winning in each of those games, then the odds in favor are 6/10 to the 5th power or 7776/100,000, or about 7.8%.
Substitute in your own estimate of their probability of winning each of those five games (and maybe add in SFU), multiply each of the winning probabilities together to get the probability of their going undefeated for the season. A very optimistic .9 probability for each game would still leave a probability of winning them all of only 59%. It ain't an easy thing to do. (Unless, of course, you have Stewie, and Morgan and Moriah!)
I think a snowball in hell has a better chance of not melting than UConn has of going undefeated. And normally, I figure percentages the way you do, Zorro. But I will say that with each time that UConn rolls the dice and it comes up for them, the odds on their behalf increase for subsequent games, because of the psychology of it. UConn will feel only energized by the wins (having played with enormous win streaks so often before) but their opponents will feel increasingly intimidated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom