OT: Cam Newton | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Wow that's eye opening. Even Harris felt upset that the NFL put them in the same room. Watching Cam hear those words and seeing his reaction of them sinking in, he avoided a meltdown or worse saying regrettable words. Not feeling sorry for him, but understanding better as to why. "Its better to understand than to be understood".

As for those discounting his youth and maturity, the context is in his experience losing the biggest game of his life, letting his team down as a leader, being the media focal point for 2 weeks, many people wanting him (not Carolina) to lose, all at the age of 26-27. The kid is inexperienced losing big games especially with so much pressure. Sure he brought a lot on himself, but he probably never expected to lose.

I have a kid his age and if they had done that I would have been very disappointed but not shocked. That is a young age and not an uncommon reaction in that situation for a 20 something in such a public image. The key word is uncommon adding to that being a first timer. I won't name names but there is another high profile 20+ NFL quarterback making horrific decisions right now, and he has never been vilified or name called like Cam. I don't even know if that QB has ever done charitable work either.

Lastly if you see what many 20 somethings (particularly entertainers) are doing these days Cam is considered an angel or at least a decent kid who doesn't like to lose and doesn't handle it well.

Humble pie taste like , but its so good for you.

With maturity and this experience, I expect to not see that again. Can a young adult be allowed to make a 'first time' public mistake?

I actually think he handled the situation well, he's there to answer questions and he has Chris Harris blabbing in his ear about how they dared Cam to throw and he couldn't do it. How is one even expected to hear themselves think when the opponent is right next to him talking loudly about him. Removing himself from the situation seems like the best move. Peyton was extremely complimentary of Newton after the game.

Reaction Score
I actually think he handled the situation well, he's there to answer questions and he has Chris Harris blabbing in his ear about how they dared Cam to throw and he couldn't do it. How is one even expected to hear themselves think when the opponent is right next to him talking loudly about him. Removing himself from the situation seems like the best move. Peyton was extremely complimentary of Newton after the game.
Like I said earlier its better than him exploding/imploding and going into a verbal tirade. Better to walk away than say something regrettable and irreversible. Imagine if he had that reaction and what names he would be called today or how he would be talked about.

In total context however other Panthers players were there (i.e. in earshot) doing interviews and did not walk away.

Reaction Score
This is all so typical of the sports world, Monday morning quarterback generation. The Broncos looked to have one of the most dominant defenses in a while, maybe ever and all that is being talked about today is Cam Newton. People certainly love to tear down more than they like to celebrate others accomplishments. I'm not even a Newton fan but the hate for the guy has gotten ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Riiight, you never comment on the level of intelligence you believe someone has. Definitely not in the post below from a week ago, which surely came from someone else logged into your account.

It's cool though. We don't need to go back and forth anymore. Continue on living in the alternate version of reality you've created in your head.

I am not looking up the thread and can't because Jerry is "Ignored" from my end but he did say something to fuel the fire but let's leave that out (I now know you will find it for me like a good boy). Just the fact Jerry is liking your post tells us all we need to know. LOL Nothing in my head 7774 just keep throwing out crap and I will answer just like Jerry. I stopped the last thread with him too but he needed to find the last word, so here I am very similar. You talk I respond. The fact you are chasing old threads and this rather than talking sports says a lot about who you are? Very nice keep up the detective work your family would be so proud.

Reaction Score
I am not looking up the thread and can't because Jerry is "Ignored" from my end but he did say something to fuel the fire but let's leave that out. Just the fact Jerry is liking your post tells us all we need to know. LOL Nothing in my head 7774 just keep throwing out crap and I will answer just like Jerry. I stopped the last thread with him too but he needed to find the last word, so here I am very similar. You talk I respond. The fact you are chasing old threads and this rather than talking sports says a lot about who you are? Very nice keep up the detective work your family would be so proud.
I posted a simple response to your reply to me (next time tell me when you "stop" a thread so we all know not to respond.......), that was a couple stats and did not call you any names or question your intelligence, and you responded as usual with name calling, swears, and anger. You calling someone a poor loser is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black.

Reaction Score
This is all so typical of the sports world, Monday morning quarterback generation. The Broncos looked to have one of the most dominant defenses in a while, maybe ever and all that is being talked about today is Cam Newton. People certainly love to tear down more than they like to celebrate others accomplishments. I'm not even a Newton fan but the hate for the guy has gotten ridiculous.

john if he stood on the stage and handled his lumps there would be nothing. I agree with everyone his line blew, his receivers dropped a couple, his OC didn't adjust in any obvious manner so everyone was a part. But he was horrific in a big game and needs to stand there and say "I Will be back"
As HuskiesAllDay put it so well, he started the expectations with the way he talked and acted, when it all collapses you don't get a pass for being a baby. Do you really think he deserves a pass for that incident on stage? He's not 21.

Reaction Score
john if he stood on the stage and handled his lumps there would be nothing. I agree with everyone his line blew, his receivers dropped a couple, his OC didn't adjust in any obvious manner so everyone was a part. But he was horrific in a big game and needs to stand there and say "I Will be back"
As HuskiesAllDay put it so well, he started the expectations with the way he talked and acted, when it all collapses you don't get a pass for being a baby. Do you really think he deserves a pass for that incident on stage? He's not 21.
Perhaps he should give Russell Wilson a call, his loss and interception was probably the worst in SB history. However Wilson is a different person (and already has a Ring), but this is the standard regardless of age. No pass at all (from me) just saying let's just see if Cam gets it going forward.

Reaction Score
Perhaps he should give Russell Wilson a call, his loss and interception was probably the worst in SB history. However Wilson is a different person, but this is the standard regardless of age. No pass at all (from me) just saying let's just see if Cam gets it going forward.

Yeah pretty much it. Look them in the face, take it in the stomach, talk about the guy on the other side (Brady from him) out of respect and smile and say I will learn and grow like Russell. If he did that there's no topic here.

Reaction Score
Freedom is wonderful, but don't know if I want to play Cholly to your Magoo.

My argument has been that you can't reasonably say that Ware didn't have a shot at that ball even if Cam dives. As support of your argument against this, you provide a picture that doesn't show where Ware is. You can't honestly think this does anything to support your point, right? The more interesting thing is that you went out and picked the worst possible photo to support what you're saying, which I'm guess is because the other photos don't really back up your point.

Reaction Score
I get your point, though monday morning quarterbacking is not exactly new, but the fact that the bronco defense was dominant is not debatable. I guess we could debate their place in history. But Newton's conduct on the podium, his effort on the fumble, etc., are clearly up for discussion.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ok, seeing as how everyone is in a pissy, judgmental mood today, I'm surprised no one has commented on Peyton's "I'm going to be drinking lots of Budweiser beer tonight..."

Does he have an endorsement deal with them? It just seemed such an odd thing to say, both during the interview after the game and then again on stage.

yeah, that was pretty lame. Very rehearsed and repeated about beer he probably would not drink. How much money do you need?

Reaction Score
My argument has been that you can't reasonably say that Ware didn't have a shot at that ball even if Cam dives. As support of your argument against this, you provide a picture that doesn't show where Ware is. You can't honestly think this does anything to support your point, right? The more interesting thing is that you went out and picked the worst possible photo to support what you're saying, which I'm guess is because the other photos don't really back up your point.

What other photos?

I got the photo from Washington Post. Only photo in the entire article on Newton "Tapping Out."

Furthermore, the video shows that Newton is getting ready to pounce on the ball (same as picture) when Ware sticks his arm out to grab it. What happens after the photo is that Newton steps away from the radioactive ball instead of diving on it while Ware fails to secure the ball and is left on the grass with absolutely no one touching it. In the next instant, Ware lunges forward and brings it in.

Reaction Score
I am not at all concerned about Newton's etiquette and behavior afterward.

He was very frustrated on the field.

But it was his inaccuracy and the lack of a dive on the fumble that were really eating him up.

The question he was asked was impossible. Why didn't you dive on the ball? There is only one answer to that, but it's scripted. "There are a lot of things I wish I could have done differently." Otherwise, there is no answer.

I will say though that he probably should be criticized for other things. And those things lead to this loss. The team was super confident all year and rubbing people's noses in it. It also lead to a weird week of preparation for them--they hadn't been there before. And no one told him before the game not to expend so much energy? I mean, he was sucking wind in the first quarter. When I saw Newton breathing hard very early in the game, I knew it has huge advantage to the Broncos. You simply can't play that way.

I think Newton was actually unprepared for the game. Not in terms of studying, etc., but in terms of making sure he was ready to lead his team in a Super Bowl.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Culpepper 2003 (age 26): 65% completion %, 3,479 yds passing, 25 pass TD's, 11 INT's, 422 yds rushing, 4 rushing TDs
Culpepper 2004 (age 27): 69% completion %, 4,717 yds passing, 39 pass TD's, 11 INT's, 406 yds rushing, 2 rushing TDs
(Note: Culpepper had 10 rushing TD's in 2002 at age 25)

Newton 2015 (age 26): 60% completion %, 3,837 yds passing, 35 pass TD's, 10 INT's, 636 yds rushing, 10 rushing TDs

Note, Culpepper was throwing to Randy Moss though. And had a bunch of other good pieces around him. Cam pretty much had Olsen.

Reaction Score
Note, Culpepper was throwing to Randy Moss though. And had a bunch of other good pieces around him. Cam pretty much had Olsen.

The problem in the future is going to be how Carolina diversifies its offense. Newton has a cannon for an arm and it's quite obvious that he can throw a rope 30 yards downfield with ease. The problem though is what happens when the defense plays zone and he decides to strong-arm it in there. He is going to throw a lot of interceptions in this fashion, though of course he didn't throw many this year.

The odd things I'm hearing from both white and black announcers is that he is a symbol for black QBs in college today that you can be a pocket passer and not just a runner. But this is a lesson we seem to need to learn over and over and over again. I mean, Warren Moon was so very long ago, I suppose. But clearly there have been many good black pocket passing QBs. The hype on Newton is real and unfair.

Reaction Score
yeah, that was pretty lame. Very rehearsed and repeated about beer he probably would not drink. How much money do you need?

It was annoying and hearing them say he wasn't getting any financial benefit is hilarious. Why would he sound like he was talking to Will Robinson and Dr Smith then all the time?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ryan Clark had a good piece on why Cam Newton rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Pretty much spot on. And there's a number of other factors, especially if you are looking into what transpired on Sunday, that contribute as well. I think race does play a part for a subsection of the population, but I think it's a much smaller subsection than people think.

Reaction Score
If anything give him credit for not reaching through that curtain and strangling Talib.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Daunte Culpepper also played with Randy Moss. Cam Newton played with... Tedd Ginn Jr?

Dammit, you got in before me. Even stole my Tedd Ginn Jr line from another thread.*

*Not saying your actually did.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Read your statement, you said he's a Black Run first QB, sounds like race to me. Unless you're Black man trying to play a dominantly white position and has to face what he is facing, don't make a comment like that. I'm done.

I'm not arguing with your overall premise, but please. It is nothing to be a black QB these days. Just look at the college ranks. There's no adversity to being a black QB vs a white QB. Russell Wilson is not struggling as a black man to play QB. Bottom line is if you're good enough, people want you.

Reaction Score
Pretty much spot on. And there's a number of other factors, especially if you are looking into what transpired on Sunday, that contribute as well. I think race does play a part for a subsection of the population, but I think it's a much smaller subsection than people think.

He's right to a point but not spot on. I get the "culture" thing no doubt and it makes sense. But when it comes time to accepting defeat why is the "culture" different for expectations? This is all about people saying "he rubs me the wrong way" and he proved why he does. He can dish out the hip hop but he can't take the hammer.

Hope he grows up and finds a way to make amends for a rough night. We will see who he is at some point in the off season when given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom