OT: Cam Newton | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
everyone who watched the press conference knows he handled it wrong. calling a young man a pos for making a poor decision after an emotional event isnt very smart, and you agree with it smh.he can have all the money in the world, he still in his mid twenties and lord knows i wish i would have thought things through in my twenties. you agreeing with him makes you the person that should be looking in the mirror.

You're hilarious on your pedestal. Wish we all could have grown up to be you! Pitiful as you are.

Reaction Score
Note, Culpepper was throwing to Randy Moss though. And had a bunch of other good pieces around him. Cam pretty much had Olsen.

Moss 2002: 106 receptions, 1,347 yds, 7 TDs
Moss 2003: 111 receptions, 1,632, 17 TDs
Moss 2004: 49 receptions, 767 yds, 13 TDs

Culpepper's biggest year was 2004, which was interestingly enough, Moss' down year in terms of rec/yds. Nate Burleson and Marcus Robinson had better years than Moss in that regard in 2004.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Newton was actually unprepared for the game. Not in terms of studying, etc., but in terms of making sure he was ready to lead his team in a Super Bowl.

When it's both your and your coaches' first time, that's understandable.

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing with your overall premise, but please. It is nothing to be a black QB these days. Just look at the college ranks. There's no adversity to being a black QB vs a white QB. Russell Wilson is not struggling as a black man to play QB. Bottom line is if you're good enough, people want you.

I would counter with this. In the college ranks, a QB can run a shotgun spread offense, send the WR's flying down the field and run all over the place. Black or white. Marcus Mariotta. Johnny Manziel.

The pros are a different animal. That might work for a very brief window, but eventually the defenses adjust and the hits/injuries take their toll. If you're not a pocket passer, first and foremost, you don't have much of a chance longer term. Every single QB that's gone that route has flamed out in that fashion. Russell Wilson is the smartest QB that's closest to a hybrid run/pass guy that I've seen and it's because I think he does go through progressions and reads and is not a duck-and-run guy at the first sign of trouble. He also rarely takes big hits and gets down or out of bounds. But right now, he's more of the exception than the norm.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He's right to a point but not spot on. I get the "culture" thing no doubt and it makes sense. But when it comes time to accepting defeat why is the "culture" different for expectations? This is all about people saying "he rubs me the wrong way" and he proved why he does. He can dish out the hip hop but he can't take the hammer.

Hope he grows up and finds a way to make amends for a rough night. We will see who he is at some point in the off season when given the chance.

I agree, that's why I said, "there's a number of other factors, especially if you are looking into what transpired on Sunday, that contribute as well".

I believe that Clark interview happened before the Super Bowl, so it wasn't in the context of Cam being unaccountable at the end of the game. Just didn't feel like (re)typing all the other stuff that's already been mentioned on this thread.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would counter with this. In the college ranks, a QB can run a shotgun spread offense, send the WR's flying down the field and run all over the place. Black or white. Marcus Mariotta. Johnny Manziel.

The pros are a different animal. That might work for a very brief window, but eventually the defenses adjust and the hits/injuries take their toll. If you're not a pocket passer, first and foremost, you don't have much of a chance longer term. Every single QB that's gone that route has flamed out in that fashion. Russell Wilson is the smartest QB that's closest to a hybrid run/pass guy that I've seen and it's because I think he does go through progressions and reads and is not a duck-and-run guy at the first sign of trouble. He also rarely takes big hits and gets down or out of bounds. But right now, he's more of the exception than the norm.

Oh, I absolutely agree with all of this. But as you say, it's not a black or white or cultural thing. It's simply the fundamental difference between the college and pro games. Black QBs tend to be better athletes, and playing against lesser athletes in college, they dominate. In the NFL, the guys on the other side of the ball are just as athletic as they are, and much bigger, stronger, faster than the kids in college. It's a huge adjustment.

If his original point was Cam was dealing with the 'adversity' of the transition from playing one way his whole life, to playing another, then I wouldn't have said anything.

Cam gets the moniker of being 'the most dangerous QB in the game'--reference to how many ways he can hurt you. But I've thought it was actually Wilson these last few years. Very fast, quick, can run, can throw on the run, makes all the reads, all the throws. Very cool under pressure, clutch, doesn't get too high or too low. He's just coming into his own as a passer. The stretch of games he put up at the end of this year was mind boggling. Can't wait to watch what happens over the next few years.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Moss 2002: 106 receptions, 1,347 yds, 7 TDs
Moss 2003: 111 receptions, 1,632, 17 TDs
Moss 2004: 49 receptions, 767 yds, 13 TDs

Culpepper's biggest year was 2004, which was interestingly enough, Moss' down year in terms of rec/yds. Nate Burleson and Marcus Robinson had better years than Moss in that regard in 2004.

Yep, that's the other good pieces I was talking about. You also have to give Moss credit for drawing 2 or 3 guys on every play. He really was that dangerous. Those other guys benefited greatly from his presence.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

People questioned those (me) who don't care for the guy because many think his antics are selfish and over the top. Well when you play it that way all year and yourself in the Super Bowl then act like this after the game, you've proven me and so many others right. A talented guy, but really just a selfish POS. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!;)

Oh yeah and people calling Ted Ginn some things appropriate, did you watch this guy keep his nose out of that fumble?

Agree totally but DO REMEMBER the questions are being asked by equal POSs

Reaction Score
I don't think Cam is a run first QB by any means. He's just a terribly inaccurate passer. He needs more players to be effective and to work on his throws and progressions.

He's only 26, lots of time to improve.

He also needs to stop the BS of being anything more than playing the game with respect and class. I think he'll learn a lot through this process and be better for it.

Reaction Score
When it's both your and your coaches' first time, that's understandable.

Also, Ron Rivera was part of the 85 Bears. They didn't prepare at all. They trash talked a whole lot and had a lot of swagger.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think Cam is a run first QB by any means. He's just a terribly inaccurate passer. He needs more players to be effective and to work on his throws and progressions.

He's only 26, lots of time to improve.

He also needs to stop the BS of being anything more than playing the game with respect and class. I think he'll learn a lot through this process and be better for it.

I don't think he's as inaccurate as that game made him look though. He's not Brady or Rodgers or Manning, but it's amazing how much more accurate you become when your receivers get open occasionally.

Reaction Score
I haven't read this thread through but i think there should be more outrage to what Aqib Talib dod than what Cam did. 2 Personal fouls pretty close to eachother and the facemask that in my opinion should've ejected him from the game. If that was posted in the thread already that's fine. But I don't really blame Cam that much, obviously he's on the big stage and should've acted more mature but none of us will ever know how hard it is to sit in front of the media, who ask really awful questions, about the biggest game of his life that the just lost. To top it off with the Broncos media being in close proximity to him, I think he is getting more hate than he deserves.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have Anthony Davis in fantasy this year and I need the guy to stop jumping into the stands and hurting his back, stop getting concussions during games... I want you to play every game, not play like a warrior in one game a week where you hurt yourself and then cant play. Also had Bryce Harper in baseball last year and felt the same way

Dustin Pedroia. Guy spends half of every season on the DL, because he plays like the Tasmanian Devil.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The fumble: Lots of arguing over whether Cam gets that or not. Wrong question. The only question is do you want your QB to dive for that ball when you are behind in a Superbowl? Of course!

Patriot fan inspired meme: The game consisted of great defenses and weak offensive performances. This is twisted into Peyton sucks and can't pass, while Cam has a lousy line and no receivers. Why does this sound familiar?

The post game interview: Just do it. It is part of your job. But they should separate the teams. That was a lousy environment. I can sympathize with Cam. But not excuse it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I haven't read this thread through but i think there should be more outrage to what Aqib Talib dod than what Cam did. 2 Personal fouls pretty close to eachother and the facemask that in my opinion should've ejected him from the game. If that was posted in the thread already that's fine. But I don't really blame Cam that much, obviously he's on the big stage and should've acted more mature but none of us will ever know how hard it is to sit in front of the media, who ask really awful questions, about the biggest game of his life that the just lost. To top it off with the Broncos media being in close proximity to him, I think he is getting more hate than he deserves.

Talib was a jerk but he hurt his team a lot with those penalties.

Reaction Score
He was 28th in 2015, interestingly just below Manning, who was awful, but had better D and more timely TOs.

When they put pressure on him it was emphasized.

I don't think he's as inaccurate as that game made him look though. He's not Brady or Rodgers or Manning, but it's amazing how much more accurate you become when your receivers get open occasionally.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He was 28th in 2015, interestingly just below Manning, who was awful, but had better D and more timely TOs.

When they put pressure on him it was emphasized.

Yeah, but he didn't have anybody to throw to all year, outside of Olsen. Didn't have a great OL all year either. I shouldn't have implied just 'that game'.

Give him Sanders and Demaryius Thomas, and I think you'd be looking at a different picture.

Reaction Score
You're hilarious on your pedestal. Wish we all could have grown up to be you! Pitiful as you are.
There you go not ridiculing people's thoughts again. What a champion lol.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
A weird thing about Cam Newton is when he's off the field and talking about something not related to football, he seems almost likeable. Put him on the field or talk about the game and it's quite another story.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing with your overall premise, but please. It is nothing to be a black QB these days. Just look at the college ranks. There's no adversity to being a black QB vs a white QB. Russell Wilson is not struggling as a black man to play QB. Bottom line is if you're good enough, people want you.
I'm sorry but unless you have played at this level, are a black man, college level pressures don't compare what this guy or any other guy is dealing with. Why should he tone down what makes him happy, if he like to dance, do it and move on. Russell Wilson, RGIII, Mike Vick , etc... All different people, handle their business in their own way. This kid is learning and he will hopefully get better and take this as a life lesson. He will learn and is learning what is accepted as a professional, the next two years will show if he has learned or it is all just words.. We will see

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but unless you have played at this level, are a black man, college level pressures don't compare what this guy or any other guy is dealing with. Why should he tone down what makes him happy, if he like to dance, do it and move on. Russell Wilson, RGIII, Mike Vick , etc... All different people, handle their business in their own way. This kid is learning and he will hopefully get better and take this as a life lesson. He will learn and is learning what is accepted as a professional, the next two years will show if he has learned or it is all just words.. We will see
I just don't think he deserves that much of a pass. He is 26, just finished his 5th year in the league. Russell Wilson had a much more crushing defeat last year, he threw the pick that cost them the game, in his 4th year in the league, same age as Newton now, and he had no such issues. His post game presser HAD to be more painful, it doesn't matter who is talking near him, and he sat did his job with class. Its not race or age, just character, or a lack of it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I agree with most of what you say BUT in the private sector, if you or I acted that way in an interview, at a meeting or in general - it would be our last day of work
I don't buy the fact that a guy who has been a starting QB in the league for 5 years to be on a learning curve on the up slope.
That's an excuse in my eyes for someone who should know better
At these interviews he represents the team and not there for a personal agenda
A rookie? Maybe A five year leader? No Way
I really think he is past the Kid phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads