Megan Walker Narrows her list of top schools | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Narrows her list of top schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't sell Cox.
Cox most likely was admired on being recruited by UCONN. Why not take a visit on uconn's dime. She was never leaving Texas. Some recruits just like the idea of being recruited by UCONN rather then being seriously into committing to the program. Recruiting is a gamble u just never know. But I'm pretty sure GENO knows who's serious about UCONN or just more into being recruited by them.

Reaction Score
Cox most likely was admired on being recruited by UCONN. Why not take a visit on uconn's dime. She was never leaving Texas. Some recruits just like the idea of being recruited by UCONN rather then being seriously into committing to the program. Recruiting is a gamble u just never know. But I'm pretty sure GENO knows who's serious about UCONN or just more into being recruited by them.

Geno knows sometimes, like every other coach. Those he really wanted, he could not afford the chance of missing them by not trying, therefore Cox, Wilson, Boley, etc...
I noticed those who really wanted to come commit early in the process. There is one exception that I can remember, Kia Stokes who really did not know until the last minute.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't tweet and I'm in coerced retirement as a sign-maker. However, if I were to make one for an upcoming visitor, it might look something like this:

"There's a battle outside that's a-ragin'
'Bout a 5-star recruit who's named Megan.
When she comes for a visit,
We all wonder if is it
In Storrs that she'll do future cagin'?"

(I know, it's a stretch to recall the day when sportswriters referred to basketball players as "cagers," but what the hell.:rolleyes:)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When is she coming? Or should I search Volnation or McGraw's Bench for her itinerary?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

This is a generalization, but I feel as though many programs would happily pay for a #1 recruit's official visit to their campus, even if that recruit has clearly expressed that they are leaning in a different direction. This is b/c an official visit can be a major difference-maker and actually significantly change a recruit's interest level, to the extent that some programs really jockey to schedule a trip at not only a time that will best showcase their program, but also aiming for preferable placement in the order or sequence of a recruit's official visit schedule with other schools (the first visit is often deemed the best spot by many for various reasons).

Off the top of my head, I recall Mistie Bass was openly leaning toward Tennessee but nevertheless Duke still pursued and flew her out for a visit, she ended up "falling in love with the campus," signed with Duke, and stayed all 4 years without any indication of regret. It's the best opportunity to make your "pitch" to a recruit, it's condensed over just one weekend's time, and if they schedule multiple recruits for the same weekend they only have to roll out the red carpet once while presenting their case to more than one player. I imagine hosting a recruit for an official visit is the less risky part versus the regular contact, home visits, and regularly showing up in the stands of a recruit's games over a longer period of time.

And lastly, while this applies more to up-and-coming programs, the buzz generated when a #1 recruit visits your program is probably considered an incentive in and of itself. For example, even if Megan Walker is clear with all other suitors that she is leaning toward either Notre Dame or UConn, Texas and Virginia still benefit by having their name among her finalists (while Tennessee missing the cut probably hurts their program, in terms of the "brand," more than the cost of a long-shot visit would).

Reaction Score
The thought of Megan as a UConn sophomore with Crystal as a junior and Lou and Napheesa as seniors makes my head explode.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Walker is close to committing to UConn - it is in the middle of the link - and interest in Samantha Brunelle

All-Central Virginia basketball: Monroe's Brunelle breaks records in freshman season

samantha-brunelle

From Personnel Page of Virginia Preps the cited source:

Matthew Hatfield--Senior Editor, Eastern Region-- Matthew Hatfield has covered Eastern Region Basketball & Football since 2004 for VirginiaPreps. In addition to his writing responsibilities on site, Matthew serves as an on-air personality on ESPN Radio 94.1 FM as the host of the High School Sports Show presented by VirginiaPreps.com. Matthew also co-hosts the Cox 11 Sports Report television show that airs weekly in the fall and winter, plus pens occasional stories for the Suffolk News Herald.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Mr. Hatfield is correct, it would seem likely Walker would give a verbal after her campus visit. If that doesn't happen then he we'll probably know he was wrong.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Mr. Hatfield is correct, it would seem likely Walker would give a verbal after her campus visit. If that doesn't happen then he we'll probably know he was wrong.

I question the legitimacy of the information, including it's source. Why would he drop this information?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I question the legitimacy of the information, including it's source. Why would he drop this information?

Not sure how to answer this. Assuming he's actually heard this info, I guess he felt like mentioning it in passing while talking about Walker during an interview pertaining to Brunelle. What other reason could there be?

It is a local paper. Perhaps he was asked more about Walker by the columnist than what is in the article, then gave the info.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not sure how to answer this. Assuming he's actually heard this info, I guess he felt like mentioning it in passing while talking about Walker during an interview pertaining to Brunelle. What other reason could there be?

It is a local paper. Perhaps he was asked more about Walker by the columnist than what is in the article, then gave the info.

What I was driving at was does he injure his access by coming out with this kind of prediction? His stock and trade is information from these players and knowing what to use and what to bank. Could be he told something to the local reporter thinking it was "off the record" and the reporter saw it another way.

Anyway, it's stuff like this that keeps our pot belly stove going.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What I was driving at was does he injure his access by coming out with this kind of prediction?

Possibly I suppose. In the same vein, John A doesn't give info on recruits anymore and I wonder if that was on directive from somebody. He was the first to mention UConn's interest in Walker, and he also tweeted that UConn was the favorite for KLS about a month before she publicly decided. Nothing since then.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Possibly I suppose. In the same vein, John A doesn't give info on recruits anymore and I wonder if that was on directive from somebody. He was the first to mention UConn's interest in Walker, and he also tweeted that UConn was the favorite for KLS about a month before she publicly decided. Nothing since then.
I think the horde works somewhat in harness when it comes to recruits, probably at the request of Uconn - they don't want three or four local reports hounding family and coaches all the time so it tends to be a single reporter who establishes the contact. It is a delicate balance for reporters, these are young to very young women and parents that really are not 'public figures'. There is a little more leeway with HS coaches and AAU coaches, but you still don't want to become a pest.

I too found the comment strange, especially wedged in the middle of an article about a different player, almost like a throw away line. Not the typical handling of scoop that such information would be about a likely #1 ranked recruit. You wonder if the reporter misunderstood what was said, or Hatfield misspoke and meant to say 'soon to visit' or something. Just an odd little morsel that certainly hasn't been reported elsewhere.

HGN

Reaction Score
He's looking to get the scoop......You know how reporters and journalists are.
Don't beat him up this time. Let's just wish him good fortune and hope his crystal ball is accurate.

Go Hatfield!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the horde works somewhat in harness when it comes to recruits, probably at the request of Uconn - they don't want three or four local reports hounding family and coaches all the time so it tends to be a single reporter who establishes the contact. It is a delicate balance for reporters, these are young to very young women and parents that really are not 'public figures'. There is a little more leeway with HS coaches and AAU coaches, but you still don't want to become a pest.

I too found the comment strange, especially wedged in the middle of an article about a different player, almost like a throw away line. Not the typical handling of scoop that such information would be about a likely #1 ranked recruit. You wonder if the reporter misunderstood what was said, or Hatfield misspoke and meant to say 'soon to visit' or something. Just an odd little morsel that certainly hasn't been reported elsewhere.
Yes, I think he probably meant to say "about to visit" rather than "about to commit" (or else his source said the former and he relayed it as the latter). Why would Megan or her parents entrust a reporter with that information if they haven't disclosed it (as far as we know) to either Geno or Muffitt?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, I think he probably meant to say "about to visit" rather than "about to commit" (or else his source said the former and he relayed it as the latter). Why would Megan or her parents entrust a reporter with that information if they haven't disclosed it (as far as we know) to either Geno or Muffitt?
It's entirely possible that Hatfield said Megan would be going to UConn soon--meaning to visit and not to commit to attend. Nah! ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes, I think he probably meant to say "about to visit" rather than "about to commit" (or else his source said the former and he relayed it as the latter).

Those are two very distinct things. Would be a pretty big faux pas to mix them up. Also, it was written as "close to committing." Nobody says "close to visiting" so I'm suspicious that it was meant that way. Bottom line is if this isn't true then I think it's bad info rather than miscommunication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom