Megan Walker Narrows her list of top schools | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Narrows her list of top schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's funny how such a major piece of info ("...oh, and by the way, this 'Megan Walker' girl is close to committing to UConn. But anyway...") just snuck it's way into an article about a different player whose recruitment is two years further down the road!

That said, my instinct is that it's legit! Even if perhaps this was not something Walker expected or perhaps wanted printed on record in a newspaper article at this time.

Can't imagine Megan Walker committing to UConn if Geno was heading off to the NBA, lol! And I'm sure she knows better than any of the folks who wrote those articles what his plans are.

Also, it looks like there could be another dominant era for UConn on the horizon—the "Megan Walker" period. And this isn't to say Katie Lou Samuelson won't score a million points as a Husky (she will) or that Megan Walker will be as dominant as Breanna Stewart (she doesn't need to be). Every class needs a #1 player, but there are #1 players and undisputed #1 players—and it seems like Megan Walker has been in that latter category for a while. And the timing of her arrival puts her in a great position just as long as UConn can get a couple elite post players from 2017 or 2018 to join her.

While it's slightly curious how the two '17 commits—Espinoza-Hunter and Gordon—fit into this equation, it now makes sense why Geno doesn't seem to have really looked at #2 Rellah Boothe and #3 Evina Westbrook (he's focused on Walker and confident this is the right move).

Notre Dame does have an advantage with academic prestige. But Geno was able to sign Katie Lou Samuelson out of California despite having two sisters playing at Stanford, which was in her home state and has more academic prestige than Notre Dame. I think Notre Dame would need a stronger (likely even perfect) "pitch" to sell to Walker in order to have a shot at landing her over UConn. Unfortunately, I think this pitch would've had to include Lauren Cox for starters and Asia Durr the year before would've been nice, too. Furthermore, while I would call the early departures of both Jewell Loyd and Taya Reimer "red flags" per se, it just raises a couple more questions. Also, the early exit this past season in the Sweet 16 is simply bad timing when you're going for a player like Walker and every little detail counts (of course if Loyd and Reimer were still around and playing at full force, that likely wouldn't have happened).
So ND has two players leave in the last couple of years and it's a red flag? If that's the case, what would an outsider think about UConn's early departures? Remember Stef and Bria's class? 3 others from that class transferred. Boykin left a month into the season this year, and Edwards a month into the season before that. We're definitely outpacing ND in transfers/early departures.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with Slu. Katie Lou shot the ball 638 times her senior year of high school in 32 games which is an average of 19.94 times per game. Of those shots, 283 (44.3%) of them were 3 pointers. Overall, she shot it at 50% from the field and 41% from 3. Kyla Irwin this year shot the ball 434 times in 24 games. Of those shots 78 (18%) were 3 pointers. She shot 53% from the field and 33% from 3. Walker this season shot the ball 499 times in 25 games which is an average of 19.96 times per game and of those shots only 102 (20.4%) of them were 3 pointers. She shot only 41% from the field overall and 27% from 3. All 3 shot the ball very similar amounts throughout the course of the season. Lou took a much larger percentage of difficult shots (3 pointers) and still shot almost 10% better from the field. Kyla was very similar in both numbers and was 12% better. Almost all high level recruits will face opposing teams in high school who's #1 goal is to shut them down. The numbers don't lie, if you are a great shooter (Like KLS is) or a very efficient player (like Kyla is) the numbers will prove that to be true, so I just don't see how Gordon and Walker can be considered such if the numbers just simply don't back that up.
Let's just get that verbal from Megan today and worry about her shooting percentage later.

Reaction Score
So ND has two players leave in the last couple of years and it's a red flag? If that's the case, what would an outsider think about UConn's early departures? Remember Stef and Bria's class? 3 others from that class transferred. Boykin left a month into the season this year, and Edwards a month into the season before that. We're definitely outpacing ND in transfers/early departures.
How many starters have left UConn? Samarie Walker is the only one I can think of.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The thing about Geno that he has over everyone is that his pitch is unique. What do you think these other coaches say to players? "You are the missing piece." Or "If you come here you can help us win a National Championship." That is going to appeal to certain type of player. The ones that want to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond or who want to be the center of something new near home. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Geno goes in with the exact opposite mindset and says well... "We are gonna win this with or without you. So do you want to play here and have the opportunity to become the best in the country or do you want to go somewhere else? Have you seen what we can do with good players? We turn average into to good, good into great, and great into legendary." Honestly, how much better do you think you are going to be 4 years from now if you go elsewhere? It is unlikely as good as you would be if you came here. End of discussion... sign on the dotted line.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The thing about Geno that he has over everyone is that his pitch is unique. What do you think these other coaches say to players? "You are the missing piece." Or "If you come here you can help us win a National Championship." That is going to appeal to certain type of player. The ones that want to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond or who want to be the center of something new near home. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Geno goes in with the exact opposite mindset and says well... "We are gonna win this with or without you. So do you want to play here and have the opportunity to become the best in the country or do you want to go somewhere else? Have you seen what we can do with good players? We turn average into to good, good into great, and great into legendary." Honestly, how much better do you think you are going to be 4 years from now if you go elsewhere? It is unlikely as good as you would be if you came here. End of discussion... sign on the dotted line.

Nuyoika, who are you, a fly on the wall? That sounds exactly like what Geno would say to a recruit. :eek:

Reaction Score
Where do I sign?:cool:

Reaction Score
You left out the part where Geno walks in with a championship ring on every finger.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
You left out the part where Geno walks in with a championship ring on every finger.
I was gonna add then leans over and gently pats each of the championship trophies but thought that might be a bit much...

Reaction Score
One of these days, he'll get mugged. 11 rings, a Rolex sub and a Brioni tie. That'll do it.

Reaction Score

TYPO ALERT AND TOO LATE FOR ME TO EDIT IT: I meant to write almost the exact opposite, as in: "Furthermore, while I would NOT call the early departures of both Jewell Loyd and Taya Reimer "red flags" per se..."

Forgiveness, please *blush* :(

Reaction Score
I really, really, really hope that you are correct about Megan Walker's UConn upcoming commitment but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it yet...........I'd put the odds at 50/50%...........Here's my promise........I'll post a picture of me dressed in Napheesa Collier's #24 game worn jersey which I purchased for charity if she does sign..........and folks .............that will not be a pretty picture!!!!!!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I really, really, really hope that you are correct about Megan Walker's UConn upcoming commitment but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it yet......I'd put the odds at 50/50%......Here's my promise...I'll post a picture of me dressed in Napheesa Collier's #24 game worn jersey which I purchased for charity if she does sign.....and folks ...that will not be a pretty picture!!!!!!!
Oh boy.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really, really, really hope that you are correct about Megan Walker's UConn upcoming commitment but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it yet......I'd put the odds at 50/50%......Here's my promise...I'll post a picture of me dressed in Napheesa Collier's #24 game worn jersey which I purchased for charity if she does sign.....and folks ...that will not be a pretty picture!!!!!!!
Sounds traumatizing!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm reminded of a Seinfeld episode and George's big head and a cashmere sweater. Something like that?
Does it get any better than this?

91v34RPCt8L._SL1500_.jpg

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Godzilla meets George Costanza...
I'm forever amazed at the paths some threads take here. Charlie... you are impressing me right now. We are pretty far down the rabbit hole on this thread.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Does it get any better than this?

91v34RPCt8L._SL1500_.jpg
Seriously... WHERE AM I RIGHT NOW? :eek: We really need to get the crying emoji on here. There are far too many posts in this thread where it is required but not available. Nan... make it happen for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom