Big 12 votes to pursue expansion | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big 12 votes to pursue expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My pessimism forces me to invoke Rule #1 and point out that "former" and "was" are the two key operative words here.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. But if I'm right, I hope they replace all the urinals at the Rent with porcelain castings of Hathaway's head so fans can piss down his throat in perpetuity.
I think you need to look at who/what he was when he was here. By all accounts UConn has been vetted by the B-12...Benedict has actually come out and said that recently. Schulz's trip was part of that vetting. There are 2 schools that are OVERLY silent right now...Cincy and UConn. Kind of odd don't you think?

Reaction Score
Wishing and hoping. It will be a kick in the ass.that will hurt bad especially with the list of schools we are competing with. Not putting them down just believe we bring more to table overall than the others, also with much more potential than the others. Hope they look at the big picture here.

Reaction Score
I can't help but think that it's going to be BYU, Houston, Cincy and Memphis.

Had I heard any inkling of Gee or some other B12 bigwig visiting Storrs and saying positive things, I'd be more optimistic. But given BYU is all but a lock for FB, Houston and Memphis have both been visited and vetted, and Cincy's geographic advantage, I'm thinking we're out in the cold yet again.

I would be delighted to be wrong on this.

I'd be shocked if Memphis gets in. The 4 looks to be Houston, Cincinnati, UConn, and BYU. Colorado St and UCF are the only dark horses.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's probably a bit further travel than the AAC but it's not like the AAC has much of a Northeast presence outside of UConn and Temple.

Tell the politicians, there is one America, just look at the sports conferences.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
B12 is not in need of a sponsor. They have no problem getting them.

Reaction Score

Not buying it one bit. Other than 2 recent successful football seasons, Memphis has nothing to offer. Also, horrible horrible school academically. Right now, it's UConn, BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati. Not saying that can't change, but right now that's what it is.

Reaction Score
If you were a FedEx shareholder, wouldn't this irritate you? If the sponsorship helps them get in, the implication is that they are offering more than market value for the sponsorship. Otherwise, as David said, they would have plenty of other potential sponsors. If Fed Ex offers more because the CEO is connected to Memphis, that is bad business and abuse of his executive position.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not buying it one bit. Other than 2 recent successful football seasons, Memphis has nothing to offer. Also, horrible horrible school academically. Right now, it's UConn, BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati. Not saying that can't change, but right now that's what it is.

I just don't trust CR when money is being discussed.

Anyway, academics went out the window when the ACC chose Louisville. I can't see the B12 being more concerned about academics than the ACC was.

Reaction Score
If you were a FedEx shareholder, wouldn't this irritate you? If the sponsorship helps them get in, the implication is that they are offering more than market value for the sponsorship. Otherwise, as David said, they would have plenty of other potential sponsors. If Fed Ex offers more because the CEO is connected to Memphis, that is bad business and abuse of his executive position.
Something about this process sounds familiar.
I know the IOC awarding of host cities or
FIFA awarding World Cup sites

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If we're passed over by the likes of fellow conference foes Cincy & Memphis, you might as well stick a fork in the men's bball program. We went from BCS Big East to something that doesn't even compare to Conf USA circa 2008.

I've never been a "back to the big east guy" but if we're left out once again, unfortunately this is our last life raft. I'm just worried down the road these "bball only" schools will also be left behind due to football money.

Whatever happened to the idea of regional super conferences? Damn I feel like I'm grasping at straws, smh

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So FedEx is willing to sponsor a B12 title game that will have a hundred other options, but some football coach in a different league thinks that makes them a lock? Well, I guess that's that.

Exactly. The Big 12 will have no problem finding a sponsor. Memphis knows they aren't a good candidate so they're trying to buy their way in. No going to work. UConn still likely in.

Reaction Score
Any chance they're taking two teams? To get back to 12? Or, am I unable to count? Distinct possibility - I've had 5 strong beers.

Reaction Score
Personally the travel and wear on the athletes and fans would be a lot if this move happened! I am not against being in the P5 but I am praying the Big 10 or ACC come calling. Heck even the SEC would be a better geographical move!.

Reaction Score
The american has teams from texas ,oklahoma , and Louisiana. Travel wouldnt be much different.
Remember Football only plays 6 road games per year. If the possibility of adding one hour to one flight per school per year keeps us out of Big 12 then so be it. (Since all these AD's worry about is Football shouldn't this be a non factor for the most part?)

Reaction Score
I can't really blame B12 fans for being mad about expansion when articles are mentioning USF as worth anything more than shat from their cattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom