Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Could there be hope in the air???????

Reaction Score
60893221.jpg

Reaction Score
Is this really a good league for us from a geographic standpoint or is it sort of an anywhere but where we are situation?

Reaction Score
Doooooooooooomedd!!!

Send Calhoun to that meeting...if it's between us and another school we getting in....4-0 baby!!

Reaction Score
Is Big 12 = or >then big 10. I seriously do not follow this at all

Reaction Score
It's probably a bit further travel than the AAC but it's not like the AAC has much of a Northeast presence outside of UConn and Temple.
True now that I actually think about it. Directional Floridas, Memphis, Cinci, Tulsa, Tulane. Ok!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have always felt, as many others have, that UConn will be alright someday. In a P5.

Alas, the one P5 conference that seems the 2nd worst fit may be the landing spot. I am shrugging over here. But this Purgatory has been brutal so...here's to great news by September.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I have always felt, as many others have, that UConn will be alright someday. In a P5.

Alas, the one P5 conference that seems the 2nd worst fit may be the landing spot. I am shrugging over here. But this Purgatory has been brutal so...here's to great news by September.

Agreed. My feeling is that we need to get out for financial reasons, but that I'll feel really awkward if I ever go to an away game at any of the schools. Maybe I'm just being prejudiced, but I can't imagine our fans fitting in too well with the rest of the conference. Would be bizarre. I'd feel much more comfortable at ACC schools. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just picture their stadiums to take on the appearance of massive Trump rallies on Saturdays.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Is Big 12 = or >then big 10. I seriously do not follow this at all
Financially speaking and stability wise the Big 10 > all others, geographically and rivalry wise for UConn the ACC is the ideal fit.

And then there's the Big 12, it's the horse we have now officially hitched our horse too, it's not the best fit, nor the most lucrative, but it's all we have at the moment after the ACC network news of yesterday (which amounts to saying the ACC is pretty much locked up as if until 2036, only chance is the 0.005% chance ND decides to join full time at which point they'd need a 16th member) and despite anything negative said about that conference, it's still a million times the conference the AAC is. I repeat, One million times the conference the AAC is.

Reaction Score
Agreed. My feeling is that we need to get out for financial reasons, but that I'll feel really awkward if I ever go to an away game at any of the schools. Maybe I'm just being prejudiced, but I can't imagine our fans fitting in too well with the rest of the conference. Would be bizarre. I'd feel much more comfortable at ACC schools. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just picture their stadiums to take on the appearance of massive Trump rallies on Saturdays.
You need to get out more.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
You need to get out more.

Not sure that I need to get out more. Just curious as to how UConn's demographic would or wouldn't fit in with the remainder of the Big XII. Doesn't take a genius to see that we're an obvious cultural outlier. Big XII fans have raised the same concern (or at least observation). There's no doubt that we are not a cultural fit with, say, Oklahoma State.

Reaction Score
If we don't get into the Big 12 and Cincy does - we need to go to Big East and move football to wherever they can be adopted. Otherwise our basketball program will slowly die
Our basketball program will die in the Big East too, because that conference is just playing out the string of years until the halves create their own basketball championship tournament.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

What fans?

The ones who don't nearly fill our tiny ( in comparison) football stadium or the jaded with success hoops fans who bitch about every home game and stay home if it is not a top marquee matchup?
This is not to denigrate us but to say maybe we should get our house in order before we start calling Big12 people yokels, no?

How many people do Texas draw , Oklahoma? If we had that support in the first place we wouldn't be having this discussion anyway. The big 10 and acc would have had bidding wars for us years ago.

caw

Reaction Score
Financially speaking and stability wise the Big 10 > all others, geographically and rivalry wise for UConn the ACC is the ideal fit.

And then there's the Big 12, it's the horse we have now officially hitched our horse too, it's not the best fit, nor the most lucrative, but it's all we have at the moment after the ACC network news of yesterday (which amounts to saying the ACC is pretty much locked up as if until 2036, only chance is the 0.005% chance ND decides to join full time at which point they'd need a 16th member) and despite anything negative said about that conference, it's still a million times the conference the AAC is. I repeat, One million times the conference the AAC is.

I'd argue the SEC is = to the B1G but obviously not an option for UConn.

B1G, SEC
PAC
ACC
B12

Would be my overall order amongst the P5 with the ACC perhaps moving significantly higher as more details about their network come out. B12 needs a shot in the arm to remain competitive with the other four.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What fans?

The ones who don't nearly fill our tiny ( in comparison) football stadium or the jaded with success hoops fans who bitch about every home game and stay home if it is not a top marquee matchup?
This is not to denigrate us but to say, maybe we should get our house in order before we start calling Big12 people yokels, no?

How many people do Texas draw , Oklahoma? If we had that support in the first place we wouldn't be having this discussion anyway. The big 10 and acc would have had bidding wars for us.

Huh? I'm not talking about the nature of our fans in regards to their attitude towards sports. I'm talking about the culture of New Englanders in general, and by association, the majority of UConn fans.

I'm saying that our culture as a state and as a university is drastically different than the rest of Big XII states. Two of many examples is that CT is among the most liberal and least religious states. Conversely, Texas and Oklahoma are two of the most conservative and most religious states. We really, really don't fit in to the ethos of the Big XII. And that's fine. My point is that I'd much prefer being in a conference like the AAC where I felt that the schools were more similar to my own alma mater (and where I can reasonably travel to away games).

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'd argue the SEC is = to the B1G but obviously not an option for UConn.

B1G, SEC
PAC
ACC
B12

Would be my overall order amongst the P5 with the ACC perhaps moving significantly higher as more details about their network come out. B12 needs a shot in the arm to remain competitive with the other four.
Yes I agree about the SEC thing, it could be argued they are even stronger financially than the Big 10, the SECN is an absolute cash cow for them. I just didn't include conferences like the SEC or PAC because those aren't really options for UConn's future.

Reaction Score
Not sure that I need to get out more. Just curious as to how UConn's demographic would or wouldn't fit in with the remainder of the Big XII. Doesn't take a genius to see that we're an obvious cultural outlier. Big XII fans have raised the same concern (or at least observation). There's no doubt that we are not a cultural fit with, say, Oklahoma State.
Conference realignment is about eyeballs/money and schools with great athletic departments. UConn is light-years ahead of any other school not currently in the P5 when it comes to those metrics. . . . . . . . . . . .You said you wouldn't feel comfortable at a Saturday game and you imagine it would be a massive Trump rally. That sounds like the thinking of someone who never really leaves CT. or the northeast. If a Oklahoma State fan said something in the same vein about not fitting in/feeling comfortable at a Connecticut game I would tell them the same thing. Get out more and you will see that people are people, sure there are cultural differences but if you can't feel comfortable at a college football or basketball game that's on you. I would absolutely love seeing Oklahomans and Texans come up to CT. for games and I would be booking a trip to Texas as soon as the ink is dried.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Conference realignment is about eyeballs/money and schools with great athletic departments. UConn is light-years ahead of any other school not currently in the P5 when it comes to those metrics. . . . . . . . . . . .You said you wouldn't feel comfortable at a Saturday game and you imagine it would be a massive Trump rally. That sounds like the thinking of someone who never really leaves CT. or the northeast. If a Oklahoma State fan said something in the same vein about not fitting in/feeling comfortable at a Connecticut game I would tell them the same thing. Get out more and you will see that people are people, sure there are cultural differences but if you can't feel comfortable at a college football or basketball game that's on you. I would absolutely love seeing Oklahomans and Texans come up to CT. for games and I would be booking a trip to Texas as soon as the ink is dried.

Part of it is culture, part is history. I just have absolutely no affiliation to schools in the southwest. I didn't grow up watching Texas, Oklahoma, etc. For me, and I think for a lot of folks, the idea of playing in the Northeast and mid atlantic is much more appealing. I'm not saying that I'd be bummed with the Big XII...I'd be ecstatic. I just think that of all viable P5 options (B1G, ACC, Big XII), this is the least desirable fit. Let's not forget that the Big XII is basically a sinking ship, anyhow. Texas and/or OU are waiting to bolt, and the conference will fold just like the BE. I'm hoping we land in the Big XII and build our profile so that we don't get caught with our pants down when P5 consolidates into P4

Reaction Score
For those of you that don't follow Conference Realignment I say lucky you. But also say this Big 12 expansion NEEDS to include UConn or you will slowly see us die on the vine. The Big 10 or ACC aint happening soon - it's just not. We make next to nothing from the AAC TV contract and the Big East credits we are still getting will dry up very soon. The money differential between the P5 schools and G5 schools is just way too big of a gap and will take its toll.
Do everything you can to support UConn NOW. Buy football tickets, buy basketball tickets, donate. Now more than ever we need to get into this P5 league. I too once thought "eh we'll get into a P5 league at some point" but move after move has come and here we still sit. It's time - we need to make this happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom