Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me but I don't really want to pull a scholarship from a kid in late May even if it makes the team better. The Ollie situation already has me soured on the program. I'd be in favor of doing what Louisville did before doing our own wrong.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a Calhoun disciple, has stated he's here to build the program back to prominence, and has reportedly encouraged his players to stay with the program and buy into what he expects of them.

When that's your stated goal, you sometimes have to look past quick fixes such as Heron because forcing a kid out in order to get Heron doesn't seem to fit a long term program building philosophy and would surely make the players question his integrity.

Consider this circumstance even though it's not the exact same scenario: Calhoun, in his first year when UConn had miserable facilities and no academic support program, turned down Tharon Mayes (from CT) because we didn't have the counselors and tutors Calhoun believed Mayes would need in order to maintain eligibility. Instead, Calhoun suggested he go to Florida State where Pat Kennedy had all such assistance in place. Mayes went there, had a good career, and ultimately his son Xavier Rathan-Mayes chose Florida State. So, while UConn lost two players, Calhoun established he was in it for the long haul and was not going to "use" a kid for as long as he could keep him eligible and then throw him away.

If Hurley has encouraged all his players to stay with the program and then forces one out in order to sign Heron it sends a very negative message about how much (or little) he cares about his players.

Calhoun showed he cared about a player just as Hurley will be showing how much he cares about the players if he passes on Heron.

Reaction Score
Pulling a scholarship this late would be an extremely weak move and would deprive us as a fan base from taking any moral high ground.
I see both sides and am not sure how id feel about it. But when it's your job to win games and win them soon it's hard to turn down that kind of talent if available

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How soon would he know that he gets a hardship waiver? I'd hate to run somebody off to make room, and then he has to sit a year anyway (after which he may enter the draft again, who knows?).

Reaction Score
If they are going to pretend that the kids are there for an education then act like it. Of course I realize that the whole system is a farce but the blatant hypocrisy is too much for me.
Don't watch college basketball and football then.

Reaction Score
Pulling a scholarship this late would be an extremely weak move and would deprive us as a fan base from taking any moral high ground.
its extremely rare that it’s that cut and dry. Usually the coach won’t force a player out, he will be honest and tell the last player on the bench what playing time they’re looking at, be honest about the situation, and see if he thinks transferring may be in his best interest. It definitely sucks for he kid, don’t get me wrong, but most coaches won’t just tell a kid that he doesn’t have a scholarship.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You guys gotta be kidding me with the higher moral ground this isn’t 3rd grade athletics and there are no participation trophies

No surprise that the guy who rooted for UConn men's basketball to lose games has no issue with yanking players off of scholarship in June after the coach has already told them they're on board for the next season.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
How soon would he know that he gets a hardship waiver? I'd hate to run somebody off to make room, and then he has to sit a year anyway (after which he may enter the draft again, who knows?).
The general consensus is that he will be awarded a family hardship waiver. Those are RARELY turned down when it involves an immediate family member dealing with a chronic illness. Will know before next school year.

Reaction Score
its extremely rare that it’s that cut and dry. Usually the coach won’t force a player out, he will be honest and tell the last player on the bench what playing time they’re looking at, be honest about the situation, and see if he thinks transferring may be in his best interest. It definitely sucks for he kid, don’t get me wrong, but most coaches won’t just tell a kid that he doesn’t have a scholarship.

Wouldn't he have already had that conversation with every player? He's gonna come across real phony if he changes his tune now.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Auburn's Mustapha Heron to withdraw from NBA Draft, transfer closer to home | Zagsblog
The 6-foot-5 Waterbury, Conn., native was testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent and worked out for the Brooklyn Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers. He has opted to withdraw from the draft but transfer from Auburn in order to be closer to his mother, Thalia Heron, who lives in West Haven, Conn.

“What people don’t know is Mustapha’s mom has been sick for a year,” Bryan Heron said Tuesday by phone. “Being home, he wants to get closer to his mom. He knew he had to go back to school. The last month he’s been here and he wants to be close to his mom, where she can see him play.”

Heron will apply for a hardship waiver to be immediately eligible for the 2018-19 season at his new school.
Okay...UNH or Quinnipiac then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon