Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If no NCAA issues with Heron, no idea why anyone would say no to Heron coming. He'd be a huge piece to bringing us back to relevancy. Also he's better than anyone we'd boot from a scholarship -- tough move -- but I'd do it in a heartbeat

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There are 12 scholarships on this team I would give up to get Heron. Pick any one of them thank them for their time at UConn and i'll help pack the bags.

That seems like a slightly large number.

Reaction Score
I would think UCONN's gotta make sure there was no funny business with Heron's surprise recruitment to Auburn, particularly since the NCAA already has their eye on us.
I don't mean to come off as a smart @zz but how would UConn even do that? Other than asking around, and nobody with half a brain is going to admit guilt, what can they do?

Reaction Score
What's the main reason as to why people don't want him? Is it lack of scholarships, his past, something else?
Rumors have gone around the state that he took money to go to Auburn. He’s never been formally accused, but Purifoy and Wiley have from Auburn and everyone knows “Pearls gonna Pearl”.

I’m sure the school will vet the situation before rushing into anything. Benedict and Hurley aren’t stupid.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to come off as a smart @zz but how would UConn even do that? Other than asking around, and nobody with half a brain is going to admit guilt, what can they do?

I'd just like a paper trail showing that UCONN vet the situation in the event that it becomes a problem in the future.

Reaction Score
Yes, it was a no brainer given he would signing a 7 figure contract 10 months later. I don’t know Heron’s financial situation but he is instate which dramatically decreases the financial burden.
His family already has the financial burden of someone being seriously sick. He’s not going to be a walk on anywhere.

Reaction Score
Rumors have gone around the state that he took money to go to Auburn. He’s never been formally accused, but Purifoy and Wiley have from Auburn and everyone knows “Pearls gonna Pearl”.

I’m sure the school will vet the situation before rushing into anything. Benedict and Hurley aren’t stupid.
Yea that would definitely be the biggest concern to me. If he just didnt want to come here when he was 17 then I am fine with that. People change their minds, especially when put in a situation like his current one.

Reaction Score
"Uconn is the last place in a world I want to go."
“I don’t want to stay home,” he said when asked about UConn. “I like to meet new people and see different things. Being at home, I’m seeing the same thing every day pretty much.”

MERIDEN — Blue-chip basketball prospect Mustapha Heron has spent his summer piling

"The main reason he chose Pitt was because family friend Barry Rohrsson was on head coach Jamie Dixon’s staff. Since then, Rohrsson has departed Pitt to join the St. John’s staff under new coach Chris Mullin.

That happened earlier this year, and when it did, Heron withdrew his verbal commitment to the Panthers. And so the recruiting game was back on.

“Ever since I de-committed from Pitt, it has been a long process,” Heron said this week. “I have a lot of coaches calling. I’m meeting a lot of new coaches. I’ve heard from 20 new schools since I de-committed. Pitt is still involved with my recruitment, but I wanted to explore some more options and see what’s out there.

“The coaching change was a big reason why,” he added. “I’ve known (Rohrsson) since I was 2-years old. There is a comfort level there. When he was at Kentucky, Kentucky was big on the list. When he was at Pitt, Pitt was big on the list.”

Bryan Heron and Rohrsson played overseas together in Poland, and the Red Storm are a clear contender for Heron’s services. But Heron said it’s a process and he won’t make up his mind until October or November.
"

If Rohrsson is still at SJU, he's all but guaranteed to go there.

EDIT: And, apparently Slice isn't there anymore.

Reaction Score
“I don’t want to stay home,” he said when asked about UConn. “I like to meet new people and see different things. Being at home, I’m seeing the same thing every day pretty much.”

MERIDEN — Blue-chip basketball prospect Mustapha Heron has spent his summer piling

"The main reason he chose Pitt was because family friend Barry Rohrsson was on head coach Jamie Dixon’s staff. Since then, Rohrsson has departed Pitt to join the St. John’s staff under new coach Chris Mullin.

That happened earlier this year, and when it did, Heron withdrew his verbal commitment to the Panthers. And so the recruiting game was back on.

“Ever since I de-committed from Pitt, it has been a long process,” Heron said this week. “I have a lot of coaches calling. I’m meeting a lot of new coaches. I’ve heard from 20 new schools since I de-committed. Pitt is still involved with my recruitment, but I wanted to explore some more options and see what’s out there.

“The coaching change was a big reason why,” he added. “I’ve known (Rohrsson) since I was 2-years old. There is a comfort level there. When he was at Kentucky, Kentucky was big on the list. When he was at Pitt, Pitt was big on the list.”

Bryan Heron and Rohrsson played overseas together in Poland, and the Red Storm are a clear contender for Heron’s services. But Heron said it’s a process and he won’t make up his mind until October or November.
"

Slice left St. John's two years ago.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
If he wanted to come here...one of the bigs would be gone IMO. I'd assume Cobb or Kwintin. We would have a ridiculous back court if he were to come.

Reaction Score

"

All that probably doesn't matter anymore with his mom being sick.

Reaction Score
My only concern with the scholarship situation is, with all of the work Hurley did earning the trust of the current roster by recruiting them to stay could be jeopardized by telling one of them they have to give up that scholarship for Heron.

Reaction Score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe St. Johns is in the same spot as us with no currently available scholarships. Obviously this can change quickly but it's important to note.

Reaction Score
Backdooring any kid who is already on our roster who isn’t a walk-on for a transfer is pretty Busch League. And sends the wrong message to every recruit who will possibly commit. This seems more and more far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom