2023 Recruiting: - Youssouf Singare Commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Youssouf Singare Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Post 1001 as wished for, "Welcome Youssouf". I liked the kid at Peach Jam and like him more with every clip and report. Thanks to everyone posting these reviews and clips. Love the comments about team and winning. Fits what I saw on the court with him visibly bearing down in the clutch and seeking to make game winning impact "You don't do pushups with 1 finger". Love that one and hadn't heard it before.

FYI from the other thread where stats were listed. He had a couple games with minimal minutes with 4 PF that must have come early so he sat. Might skew avg numbers a bit down given the small number of games.

Reaction Score
I don’t know much about rankings but from the video I saw he’s an instinctive and great shot blocker and rebounder. Even Sanogo did not have this as he started for us but isn’t that a timing skill that you either have or don’t? For everything said about Brimah, he could block shots and flush alleys. A lot of teams just stopped trying to go inside at all. With all of the other talent coming with him we don’t need him to be an offensive force at all.

Reaction Score
So what does this do for our class ranking? We were #3, does this bump to 2? 1?
Still 3rd on 247, there's diminishing returns from the more recruits you add to the class so the 5th recruit is only a small bump unless it's a truly elite recruit. Singare is unranked in the composite since only 247 has him ranked though, so there was actually no bump at all

Reaction Score
I want Sanogo to stay (which is what I think will happen-like Timme and Oscar). I want the staff to focus on the transfer market once they have high school stud recruits (Castle, Ball, etc.). You don't need a 5th kid for a social media "Fab 5" thing. I am 100% convinced that there is a good transfer big man that is better than this kid we can pick up next summer if Sanogo goes pro.
You really are a miserable and clueless lol the reason why Timme and Oscar stayed is because they have access to a ton of NIL money. Sanogo does not. Foreign-born players are not yet cleared to earn NIL money by the NCAA

Reaction Score
There aren't exactly many people 7 feet tall that move the way he does either.
Brimah came in with this level of skill and developed into a solid player despite our awful player development at the time. If you're tall, athletic, and have a good frame we can make a player out of you if you have the right disposition to work hard and take criticism

Complimentary skillset to Donovan too. If we need a faster rimrunner vs athletic teams, Singare will be perfect. More bulk, passing, or scoring in a grind it out halfcourt game? Throw Donovan out. Low the diversity of skills we're recruiting
Actually, I would say that the positive upside surprise about Brimah was how ready he was to contribute on Day 1, not his development (which was virtually nonexistent).

If this guy can give us a freshman year Brimah type impact next year, that would be a big lift, especially if Sanogo moves on.

Reaction Score
What shizzle doesn’t get is that even if he’s right and they only took Singare for marketing purposes (he’s not), you can always correct that later.

This doesn’t prevent us from taking someone in the portal next year. There are always going to be transfers out that you don’t expect in this day and age.

Reaction Score
Still 3rd on 247, there's diminishing returns from the more recruits you add to the class so the 5th recruit is only a small bump unless it's a truly elite recruit. Singare is unranked in the composite since only 247 has him ranked though, so there was actually no bump at all

Yeah I’d imagine if Singare gets ranked across one of the other platforms he’ll get a composite ranking which will then factor into the overall class rank calculation.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You really are a miserable and clueless lol the reason why Timme and Oscar stayed is because they have access to a ton of NIL money. Sanogo does not. Foreign-born players are not yet cleared to earn NIL money by the NCAA
They also stayed because they are not bonified NBA prospects.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure since he doesn't have a composite ranking it doesn't effect the overall class ranking at all

Reaction Score
I want Sanogo to stay (which is what I think will happen-like Timme and Oscar). I want the staff to focus on the transfer market once they have high school stud recruits (Castle, Ball, etc.). You don't need a 5th kid for a social media "Fab 5" thing. I am 100% convinced that there is a good transfer big man that is better than this kid we can pick up next summer if Sanogo goes pro.
Where is your proof that the staff just wanted a 5 fab social media thing?? This in your head. They want the kid cause they like him not for anything else and we were on him since before this fab 5 thing. This a bad take.

If you want to say I think we should have saved the scholarship for a transfer big (even tho no guarantee that we would land a top one) instead of a 4 star recruit who wont play his freshman year and transfer, fine. Unpopular opinion but I get it, however, making this Fab 5 thing about why the staff signed him is ridiculous.

You say if he doesn’t play by sophomore year he transfers. Why wouldn’t he play? How do you know he wouldn’t be better than a transfer?

Reaction Score
Oscar is foreign born

Reaction Score
Where is your proof that the staff just wanted a 5 fab social media thing?? This in your head. They want the kid cause they like him not for anything else and we were on him since before this fab 5 thing. This a bad take.

If you want to say I think we should have saved the scholarship for a transfer big (even tho no guarantee that we would land a top one) instead of a 4 star recruit who wont play his freshman year and transfer, fine. Unpopular opinion but I get it, however, making this Fab 5 thing about why the staff signed him is ridiculous.

You say if he doesn’t play by sophomore year he transfers. Why wouldn’t he play? How do you know he wouldn’t be better than a transfer?

Are you sure our staff doesn't recruit kids so we can put a few pictures on Insta? Makes perfect sense to me.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
fab5? I'm hoping for a championship not to be a runner up. I hope he doesn't call timeout when there are none left to call.
I want the title. Nobody here talks about getting #6 (final fours).
Welcome aboard Youssouf.

Reaction Score
Are you sure our staff doesn't recruit kids so we can put a few pictures on Insta? Makes perfect sense to me.

But are they recruiting based on Instagram videos? That's how a staff separates itself from the pack.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure since he doesn't have a composite ranking it doesn't effect the overall class ranking at all
Yup. Isn't rated by Rivals or ESPN, I assume if one of them assign him a ranking he will have a composite score that would pull up UConn's overall team score. On3 doesn't rank him either but I am not sure if they factor into 247 composite.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

The Fab 5 thing was made in jest. The main point was that signing a sub-100 kid when you don’t know who you could grab in the transfer market is a mistake.

We are already over the limit for 23. Assuming the four freshmen from this year stay- likely given that Karaban should be a role player, Clingan will be Sanogo’s backup, and other two know they aren’t playing much if at all this year- we will have nine underclassmen. I don’t buy that Jackson or Hawkins are going to go pro after this year. Newton may or may not go pro. Alleyne and Diarra I believe will have one year left after this season. That’s 14 right there. Somebody has to go. That is why bringing this kid in now will be a mistake.

Reaction Score
Yup. Isn't rated by Rivals or ESPN, I assume if one of them assign him a ranking he will have a composite score that would pull up UConn's overall team score. On3 doesn't rank him either but I am not sure if they factor into 247 composite.
On3 factors into the football composite but not basketball for 247, so I assume it'll be added at some point

Reaction Score
Big recruiting is such a crap shoot, if he was highly skilled he would be a one and done. He is a great upside play.

And I think we should always have a spot for a legit tall shotblocker. We have DC now but I think it benefits the rest of the guys to have to face someone with that unique size and length. Before Kessler, Sanogo seemed to always struggle against length and going up everyday against the likes of Springs (6’8?) isn’t the same.

Reaction Score
The Fab 5 thing was made in jest. The main point was that signing a sub-100 kid when you don’t know who you could grab in the transfer market is a mistake.

We are already over the limit for 23. Assuming the four freshmen from this year stay- likely given that Karaban should be a role player, Clingan will be Sanogo’s backup, and other two know they aren’t playing much if at all this year- we will have nine underclassmen. I don’t buy that Jackson or Hawkins are going to go pro after this year. Newton may or may not go pro. Alleyne and Diarra I believe will have one year left after this season. That’s 14 right there. Somebody has to go. That is why bringing this kid in now will be a mistake.
Somebody should let Hurley and his staff know that they are over the scholarship limit. I can't believe they overlooked that pretty important detail.

Fire Hurley.

Reaction Score
You could have stopped at miserable and clueless. Nothing more needed.
My understanding from reading on Oscar is that they can get NIL, just can’t do certain things (appearances, signings, etc). So in theory it kind of is a limited ROI for a company to pay them. Additionally, idk if it’s an NCAA rule, or more related to their student visa that prevents them from being paid

If we continue to recruit internationally, it’ll be interesting to see if we start doing more overseas pre-season scheduling as a recruiting tactic. Oscar was apparently released (idk what the right word is) from his student visa when UK went outside the US, and Oscar used that time to do a lot of sponsor appearances & such to make money, free from the restrictions he faces in the states.

(Only quoting off you UCSouth as the last message in the thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom