2023 Recruiting: - Youssouf Singare Commits to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Youssouf Singare Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree, but who would you put that on? We have a new coaching staff now. One who recently helped a 220 ranked kid get drafted & an unranked kid get a G league contract.

I’ll take my chances with him developing an athletic 7 footer who is ONLY ranked 120
Speaking of the 220 ranked kid

Attachments

• 84C26BF5-BA98-4063-9497-8A25CD956072.png
    84C26BF5-BA98-4063-9497-8A25CD956072.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 531

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Speaking of the 220 ranked kid
Martin was a transfer.

Every sub-100 recruit for Hurley has been a bust:
Adams
Springs
Gaffney
Brown-Ferguson

They could have potentially used the extra spot for a talented college transfer big man who was a proven player.

Reaction Score
That’s the question: based on his current ranking, I don’t know why everyone is getting so excited.
I knew someone would say that. I figured within the first 20 posts and not until the 37th though. Smh. Don't get all caught up in rankings with every recruit.

I agree with @Hey Adrien!. I like the diverse skillsets in this class. You need guys who do some things really well and let them concentrate on helping the team that way. You can't recruit 5 scorers or 5 guys who need the ball all the time. And be honest, we're not getting four 5 stars every year who do everything well. You need complimentary pieces to form a great team.

I still think the 1998-1999 team was our quintessential complimentary team. You had your scorers in Rip and KEA. Moore and KEA were the ball handlers. Moore was the best perimeter defender who you put on the other team's best perimeter player. Freeman was the roll up the sleeves and do the dirty work guy but he could score too when needed. Voskuhl was the guy who set picks, rebounded and played great defense in the middle. 5 guys who weren't the most talented on their own, but formed a TEAM. Singare will play his role. And hopefully he does it very well.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I knew someone would say that. I figured within the first 20 posts and not until the 37th though. Smh. Don't get all caught up rankings with every recruit.

I agree with @Hey Adrien!. I like the diverse skillsets in this class. You need guys who do some things really well and let them concentrate on helping the team that way. You can't recruit 5 scorers or 5 guys who need the ball all the time. And be honest, we're not getting four 5 stars every year who do everything well. You need complimentary pieces to form a great team.

I still think the 1998-1999 team was our quintessential complimentary team. You had your scorers in Rip and KEA. Moore and KEA were the ball handlers. Moore was the best perimeter defender who you put on the other team's best perimeter player. Freeman was the roll up the sleeves and do the dirty work guy but he could score too when needed. Voskuhl was the guy who set picks, rebounded and played great defense in the middle. 5 guys who weren't the most talented on their own, but formed a TEAM. Singare will play his role. And hopefully he does it very well.
See my above post: every sub-100 Hurley high school recruit has been a bust. He has done well with transfers. Also, it's 2022. You either play the kid or he transfers.

Reaction Score
Martin was a transfer.

Adams
Springs
Gaffney
Brown-Ferguson

They could have potentially used the extra spot for a talented college transfer big man who was a proven player.
I didn't think anything could get worse than your ridiculous OOC schedule posts and yet here we are. Just a truly impressively dumb post

Reaction Score
Singare is the only player in this class where I haven't seen any of his games. From what I've dug up 7'3 wingspan 9'6 standing reach. This interview (his name is spelled wrong) shows off his personality. He seems to have a really cool personality...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That’s the question: based on his current ranking, I don’t know why everyone is getting so excited.

There's really nothing wrong with your not knowing. And I salute your courage in admitting this, unless you're trying to recruit others to share some conclusion you've drawn.

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."
Rainer Maria Rilke

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Self awareness is -100 in this thread. Maybe re-read the part in bold from your post and then take a look at what our roster will look like when he gets to campus. Not hard to figure out where Singare is going to fit
Except for the part when Sanogo stays for his senior year because he's Euroleague (not NBA) level.

Reaction Score
Martin was a transfer.

Adams
Springs
Gaffney
Brown-Ferguson

I wouldn't call Adams a bust. I was very critical of him, but he gave some solid minutes. He just was limited physically compared to the competition. My fault with him was that we weren't going to see a lot of progression.
Singare on the other hand passes the eye-test as far as raw skills go. He's the type of player a tier one program brings in specificaly too develop. Let's see if Hurley & Co. can do it. A lot of guys compare him with Brimah, and Ollie and staff were not able to develop him at all. His last game at UConn, he was essentially the same player he was when he stepped on campus. Let's see where Singare is in a few years. On the plus side, he is going to face stiff competetion just in practice and that can really help and accelerate the process.

Reaction Score
This class is nasty, I love the balance and 3 ready made serious contributors but UConn has had some great classes. Many top 10 classes and some classes which were a bit lower ranked which turned out to be pretty incredible. '91 has always been the goat class IMO if you combine ranking and how it turned out. They were #1 or #2 in the nation if my memory serves me right. Some of the great UConn classes, I realize I'm probably missing some players and a really good class or two...

1991- Donyell, Donny, Rudy Johnson, Brian Fair, Kevin Ollie, Richie Ashmeade, Boo

1993- Ray Allen, Sheffer, Kirk King

1996- Rip, Freeman, Voskuhl, LeBlanc, Funches

1999- Ajou Ajou Deng, Tony Robertson, Doug Wrenn, Marcus Cox, Justin Brown. The class didn't pan out but was highly ranked.

2000- Caron, Taliek, Selvie, Hazleton...

2001- Emeka and Ben

2006- Sticks, Curtis Kelly, Hasheem, Dyson, Doug Wiggins

2011- Drummond, Boat, Daniels

2016- Alterique, Juwan Durham, Vance Jackson, Vital. Highly ranked but didn't really pan out.

2021- Hawkins, Rahsool Diggins, Samson Johnson, Corey Floyd. Ranked highly, half the class is already gone.

This class has a chance to be special. Awesome combination of size, skill, positional versatility and we basically cover every position on the floor.
I was just going by the 247 rankings which stops at like 2003.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was a giant word salad to say he is raw. We are in the NIL and transfer portal era: if you don’t cut the mustard, you don’t stay around long. Recruiting a kid just to get a class of 5 is pointless if he is not at least part of a 10-man rotation by the middle of his sophomore year.

Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
See my above post: every sub-100 Hurley high school recruit has been a bust. He has done well with transfers. Also, it's 2022. You either play the kid or he transfers.
You seem to be enjoying yourself in this thread

Here, see if this version of "My Favorite Things" resonates with you. You can't complain that it's Julie Andrews, but maybe you won't like how McCoy Tyner's piano is tuned.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Except for the part when Sanogo stays for his senior year because he's Euroleague (not NBA) level.
If anything, this is best case scenario for us.

That would mean Singare is third string, how good do you expect our third stringers to be?

Reaction Score
Well this got ugly.

If Sanogo comes back next after next year, Singare won’t get 1 minute of playing time freshman year. If he doesn’t come back, Singare will be a backup to Clingan for 3 years, with a chance to start his senior year. If he is better than Clingan, he’ll start when he’s earned a start.

We don’t need him to be a superstar. We need him to be great at his role. His role will be what he’s already good at. Protecting the rim, grabbing boards, dunking the ball. If we can get him stronger and develop that little midrange shot, golden.

It’s always a great thing when you get a high potential 7 foot athletic freak. And we got one

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I also really doubt we'd go into 2023 with just Don and Singare at center, I'm sure we'd find room for a transfer.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If anything, this is best case scenario for us.

That would mean Singare is third string, how good do you expect our third stringers to be?
I want Sanogo to stay (which is what I think will happen-like Timme and Oscar). I want the staff to focus on the transfer market once they have high school stud recruits (Castle, Ball, etc.). You don't need a 5th kid for a social media "Fab 5" thing. I am 100% convinced that there is a good transfer big man that is better than this kid we can pick up next summer if Sanogo goes pro.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I want Sanogo to stay (which is what I think will happen-like Timme and Oscar). I want the staff to focus on the transfer market once they have high school stud recruits (Castle, Ball, etc.). You don't need a 5th kid for a social media "Fab 5" thing. I am 100% convinced that there is a good transfer big man that is better than this kid we can pick up next summer if Sanogo goes pro.
Don will be the starter if Sanogo leaves. We can bring in a veteran to compete with Singare later. But good veteran bigs wouldn't normally transfer in to be backups.

Reaction Score
I have a reliable source that says they were going to only take 4 commitments, but we’re fixated on Fab 5 over the Fantastic 4.

You may be onto something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom