OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sue may have another paragraph to add to the Player's Tribune Article. ;)

Reaction Score
Oh to be a fly on the wall in the USNWT locker room when that was announced.....if they lose it will be a hanging party for the coach. OTOH I have to give the coach credit, it is a gutsy decision.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Bringing in Rapinoe, with fresh legs, to play against a defender that just spent 60 minutes chasing Press up and down the wing, may prove a brilliant strategy. But, the substitution should be early in the 2nd half, not with 10 minutes to play. We will see.... :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like Horan over Mewis because I think she is more physical and I feel this is going to be a very physical game.
I like Horan over Mewis because she is the best (technical/tactical) player on the team.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I'm a Yank, so there isn't much question who I'm for. But then it gets complicated...

The Lady of the Household is a Brit, born and bread(all puns intended). She's gradually adopting northern New England as "Home", but when al is said and done, she's a Brit. We just came back from a trip to Cornwall, and I heard plenty of
"World's most beautiful countryside" (it's definately a contender) and "real money; real English" and on and on. Guess who she's rooting for?

Just returned from the hardware store and put up two flag holders, one for the Stars and Stripes, and the other, surreptiously positioned a bit lower, for the U.K. flag.

The battle is on!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Since Rapinoe didn't participate in warmups, wouldn't this signal that she must have some kind of injury?

Christen Press gets on the board with a perfectly placed header into the upper near-post corner.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lavelle rebounding from a poor game against France and looks very comfortable and dangerous.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Naturally Press scores the early goal. Interesting take here:

Now that @Plebe mentioned it, I do see folks saying that Rapinoe didn't warm up. Guess she has some kind of knock. Probably didn't want to disclose it so that England gameplanned for Rapinoe rather than Press.

I've always liked Press. She's been unfortunate to be a forward for the US at the same time as folks like Wambach, Morgan, Rapinoe, Heath, and Lloyd were claiming the attacking roles.

Glad to see she's taken advantage of the opportunity.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ouch. England ties it at 1-1 in the 18th minute by Ellen White, Beautiful flick finish on a great delivery. She now takes the lead with 6 goals for the golden boot.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Easy for me to say from my chair, but O'Hara has to do a better job of stopping that cross from coming in. That was too easy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Easy for me to say from my chair, but O'Hara has to do a better job of stopping that cross from coming in. That was too easy.
Yes, and Dahlkemper has to actually mark the attacker running straight to the mouth of the goal.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ever since the US scored, England has dominated the last 20 minutes of play. The midfield is supposed to be a US strength, but they are not winning the ball and the vulnerabilities on the US backline are being exposed.

Edit: Well the reverse phychology worked. Morgan heads the ball on a beautiful center from Press.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, and Dahlkemper has to actually mark the attacker running straight to the mouth of the goal.

Yep. Between that and Sauerbrunn's spectacular own-goal attempt, our back line is not inspiring much confidence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes. Beautiful Header Goal from Morgan in the 31'. Now tied for golden boot. :D

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
USA up 2-1 at the half... word is Rapinoe has a tender hamstring... her replacement has a goal and 1/2 an assist. :)

May come down to smart substitutions by Coach Ellis in the 2nd half...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US has definitely had the run of play in the first half. I hope we don't go into a shell and play passively.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I asked Lous mum who she was rooting for and she said it was a win win for her for today's game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Rose Lavelle goes out with a hamstring injury. I guess it was contagious. This is a huge blow because she's been the one US midfielder who has played excellent this game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In the abstract, I'm not a fan of VAR being used to judge a player a centimeter offsides retroactively.

In this particular instance, I'll make an exception.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
15” to, USA up one. England just had the tying goal nullified: off side. Now, with 9 minutes left, USA appears to have fouled in the penalty box. Sheesh. Another costly error by Sauerbrun. SAVE BY NAEHER on the PK!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman