OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eh, Spain didn't really offer very much going forward and were gifted a goal by a massive defensive blunder. They spent most of the game hacking away at the US players with relative impunity.

They didn't "lose" the game but they didn't deserve to win it either. I don't feel so bad for them.

Nor do I. Had this game had a quality Center Referee - not that any game at the WWC has had one - and Spain would have had at least a few cards. Would have had a few just for persistent infringement on Alex Morgan. An early stern warning might have halted this, but the ref apparently didn't even notice.

Reaction Score
USWNT survived based on VAR. So either Spain is much better than anyone suspected or the US is not a great as the experts lead us to believe. Incredible mistake from the US goalkeeper and defenders. As somebody tweeted " I don't think I understand VAR, but I know I hated it!!!"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
USWNT survived based on VAR. So either Spain is much better than anyone suspected or the US is not a great as the experts lead us to believe. Incredible mistake from the US goalkeeper and defenders. As somebody tweeted " I don't think I understand VAR, but I know I hated it!!!"
The Europeans have been slowly but surely building up women’s soccer across the continent. Depending on what happens in the games today, Europe could have 7 of 8 quarterfinal teams, with the US being the lone exception.

I am extremely impressed with the size, skill and athleticism of all the remaining European teams. Title IX legislation is keeping US women’s soccer competitive, promoting the participation of hundreds of thousands of girls and women in HS and college soccer programs.

Hopefully, the US can continue to maintain their position as one of the top teams in the world, but there is no doubt that in the years to come it will be much more challenging for the US to prevail against the top European teams.

Reaction Score
USWNT survived based on VAR.

One comment for those who don't fully understand VAR. The VAR team reviews certain plays involving goals, possible offside when a goal is scored, PK situations, and possible red cards. It can then recommend that the referee review the play. But only the referee makes the final decision. - as she did in the case of this PK. The VAR team has no authority to overrule the referee or make a decision not approved by the referee. All goals and all calls for a penalty kick are automatically checked by the VAR team, who can then recommend a review or say call is OK, play on.

Reaction Score

Agree, the US goalkeeper does look shaky (to these old blurry eyes) back there when under pressure...and the opponents know this.

Reaction Score
The Europeans have been slowly but surely building up women’s soccer across the continent. Depending on what happens in the games today, Europe could have 7 of 8 quarterfinal teams, with the US being the lone exception.

I am extremely impressed with the size, skill and athleticism of all the remaining European teams. Title IX legislation is keeping US women’s soccer competitive, promoting the participation of hundreds of thousands of girls and women in HS and college soccer programs.

Hopefully, the US can continue to maintain their position as one of the top teams in the world, but there is no doubt that in the years to come it will be much more challenging for the US to prevail against the top European teams.

Reading your post leads me to ask, shouldn't the Europeans be the leaders on top of the women's soccer? I mean the European men's soccer is and has been there from day one. On the flip side we say when is the US men's soccer going to get on board/building the men's soccer here. How has the US women's surpass the US men's in this sport?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Reading your post leads me to ask, shouldn't the Europeans be the leaders on top of the women's soccer? I mean the European men's soccer is and has been there from day one. On the flip side we say when is the US men's soccer going to get on board/building the men's soccer here. How has the US women's surpass the US men's in this sport?
You would think so, but the Europeans didn’t really emphasize women’s soccer like they did men’s soccer until the last 10-20 years or so. But that’s no longer the case. Today there’s lots of little girls in Europe kicking soccer balls with dreams of winning a World Cup championship.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

By the way, Italy looking very good against China Lead 1-0 and could have been much more just 32' in to the game

In this regard, I found an interview one of the ESPN Soccer Podcasts did with on of the Spanish National Team stars (forget exactly who) about the differences in American vs European Soccer and the closing the gap issue.

Her analysis is that the US have always had a physicality advantage over the Europeans but the Europeans (male and female) are steeped in the culture of soccer and soccer knowledge of tactics and skills.

The Europeans will always be able to improve on the physicality gap but for the US team to keep their dominant position, their soccer tactics, culture etc will have to improve (especially as regards coaching).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can definitely live without her extracurricular stuff but we need her penalty kicking. I guess her fearlessness and confidence comes from the same place.
I mean she did well (obviously), but I imagine there are a few others who could take the PK's too. Morgan, Heath, Ertz, Horan.

[ ]

Anyway should be her last go around. After this, I figure (hope) we can start phasing out her, Lloyd, Sauerbrunn, Krieger. There are plenty of youngsters who we can bring in. Granted we have the Olympic games next year, so we may be not phase them out that fast. But I hope we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Although the US had a tough game against Spain, the French had a very competitive game vs Brazil. I thought that the French were going home for long stretch of the game. I know the French were already home. Frankly the highly praised Renard did not lived up to the hype besides the fact that she is the tallest player on the field. It will be a very interesting game on Friday. Vive les Americains!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You would think so, but the Europeans didn’t really emphasize women’s soccer like they did men’s soccer until the last 10-20 years or so. But that’s no longer the case. Today there’s lots of little girls in Europe kicking soccer balls with dreams of winning a World Cup championship.
Like olddude said, the FA's have just recently started putting money, effort into the women's game. The USA women were ahead of the curve (Title IX) for years. However, with they European football culture, I do believe they will catch up to the USA quickly. If they haven't already.

On the men's side, the USA had 40 years in the wilderness (1950-1990). So similar to the European women, the men have a long way to catch up. However, they don't have the Football culture on their side. But while the men are trying to get the Technical (actually not too bad here), and Tactical (here we're woeful) parts of the game (we've always had the Physical), the Europeans are ramping up the Physical. Better training, better nutrition, etc. that's been our only advantage. Soooo, we're gonna have a hard time catching up on the men's side.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although the US had a tough game against Spain, the French had a very competitive game vs Brazil. I thought that the French were going home for long stretch of the game. I know the French were already home. Frankly the highly praised Renard did not lived up to the hype besides the fact that she is the tallest player on the field. It will be a very interesting game on Friday. Vive les Americains!!!
Should be a good match. Hope we don't get overrun in the midfield.

Reaction Score
So the Italians will advance. The Chinese under a military style coach had no play makers or creativity will be going home.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Like olddude said, the FA's have just recently started putting money, effort into the women's game. The USA women were ahead of the curve (Title IX) for years. However, with they European football culture, I do believe they will catch up to the USA quickly. If they haven't already.
ve a hard time catching up on the men's side.
It's hard to believe that just 10 years ago, France and Spain were afterthoughts in women's soccer. (Neither of them even qualified for the 2007 Cup.) France was the first to really announce itself in the early to middle part of this decade. And now Spain has been collecting international trophies at the youth level and came very close to pushing the favored U.S. to extra time.

I agree that with their stout soccer culture and suddenly flourishing club system, the upside of European women's soccer in the medium term is higher than North American women's soccer as currently structured.

And don't even get me started on the state of women's soccer in the global south.

Reaction Score
So the Italians will advance. The Chinese under a military style coach had no play makers or creativity will be going home.

...but they are good passers though. :D

Reaction Score
On the men's side, the USA had 40 years in the wilderness (1950-1990). So similar to the European women, the men have a long way to catch up. However, they don't have the Football culture on their side.

Also: in Europe, the elite male athletes play soccer. In the US, they're playing basketball or football first. (not to mention baseball, hockey, lacrosse ...)

Reaction Score
Following up on some of the above, if you go back 15+ years, girls were discouraged from playing soccer in all of Europe except for Scandinavia and, to a lesser extent, Germany. That is still the case in South America and many countries in Africa and Asia.

As on one example, I recall when an 11-year old girl moved into our town from England circa 2000. She was a great athlete who went on to make LL all-state in track. When asked to play soccer, her response was "girls don't play soccer (football)." That is the response that most girls would have given in that era had they moved here from Spain, France, England, Italy, Netherlands, etc. But not any more.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well it looks like it will be penalty kicks once again. It may be just me but I think the game has gone a bit sideways with cautious play and very little effort to play a run and gun offense. The current Neatherlands attack is a perfect example of this approach.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Also: in Europe, the elite male athletes play soccer. In the US, they're playing basketball or football first. (not to mention baseball, hockey, lacrosse ...)
For me that has always been the key to men's soccer in this country. In all or most of the European countries soccer has always been the major sport which pulls all of their elite athletes. I once had an ongoing argument with a group of non native born soccer fans. About 20 years ago I told them this very fact. I also stated that many of these other countries don't even have a secondary sport to pull athletes. I said this country is competitive in every major world sport and dominates in the Olympics. I said this country within it's borders has pretty much every known sport. I then told them that if basketball was a minor sport in this country, or better, didn't exist the world would hate us even more than they do now. That would be because this country would dominate soccer like no other country has ever done. Of course they vehemently disagreed. I said two words: Michael Jordan. I still believe this to be true.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rooting for Japan over the Netherlands as I’m looking for some other team besides the US to stop the European onslaught. Also, it’s hard for me to root for any team wearing “gaudy orange” uniforms....:rolleyes:
Yea, but that's really Oranje, so you're probably safe. ;)

Reaction Score
No game today so hopefully I can do something else besides watching soccer. Japan had their chances but they squandered several great opportunities. The hand penalty resulting in the PK doomed them. But give Japan credit, they played with grit and heart and left everything on the field. The Dutch were stronger and bigger and IMHO were a better team. Now there are only 8 teams left and the next 4 games will be really exciting, Alyssa Naeher will be the key to our success.
Here is a link to the NYT stoty about the US-Spain game
Enjoy

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No game today so hopefully I can do something else besides watching soccer. Japan had their chances but they squandered several great opportunities. The hand penalty resulting in the PK doomed them. But give Japan credit, they played with grit and heart and left everything on the field. The Dutch were stronger and bigger and IMHO were a better team. Now there are only 8 teams left and the next 4 games will be really exciting, Alyssa Naeher will be the key to our success.
Here is a link to the NYT stoty about the US-Spain game
Enjoy
MNT plays tonight.....just sayin'. :cool:

Reaction Score
Something is rotten in US soccer Chicago headquarter. I link to the NYT which might not work if you are not a subscriber. Please let me know if it does not work so I will stop linking to the NYT.

NYT Story US Soccer

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Something is rotten in US soccer Chicago headquarter. I link to the NYT which might not work if you are not a subscriber. Please let me know if it does not work so I will stop linking to the NYT.

NYT Story US Soccer

The link worked for me. Ir was my last free article for the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom