OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That goal by Rose Lavelle was sweet. She has been the unsung hero of this tournament, perhaps not so unsung anymore. I was afraid her hamstring injury from the semifinal would keep her out of the final. We've witnessed the emergence of a star.

Many on the BY including myself anointed Lavelle as a star seeing her play in the WC. So happy she showed it on largest platform. :D:D:D:D

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Good tournament, girls. I knew we were gonna win. No way this all-star lineup (in my opinion the greatest lineup assembled in women's history) wasn't gonna win '19. And we had to go through the 2nd and 3rd best teams (England and France) to get there, so you can't say we played weak teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good tournament, girls. I knew we were gonna win. No way this all-star lineup (in my opinion the greatest lineup assembled in women's history) wasn't gonna win this one. And we had to go through the 2nd and 3rd best teams (England and France) to get there, so you can't say we played weak teams.
Agreed, they didn't have any easy path.

Well done.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wonderful victory, two injured players scoring the goals. Great day for the U S , for women, and for freedom and true patriotism. As the famous lawyer Clarence Darrow said, "True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else. " These young women personify that spirit. :D

Reaction Score
Congrats to USA women in a winning a deserved World Cup. They were very clinical in winning it.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Today feels like sports watching heaven (for me as a fan of soccer and volleyball):
  • WWC final
  • Copa America final
  • Gold Cup final
  • Beach volleyball world championships men's final
  • Indoor women's Volleyball Nations League final between US and Brazil
  • And a few WNBA games thrown in for as a tip

How about the USA Softball International Cup Championship game. US vs Japan. showing on ESPN now. Japan is the only team to beat us in group play and lead us 1-0 in the 5th. Their pitcher is tough.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How about the USA Softball International Cup Championship game. US vs Japan. showing on ESPN now. Japan is the only team to beat us in group play and lead us 1-0 in the 5th. Their pitcher is tough.

The US magic took hold again. US scored 2 runs in the 6th and wins 2-1 with Monica Abbott pitching the final inning. :D:D:D

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That goal by Rose Lavelle was sweet. She has been the unsung hero of this tournament, perhaps not so unsung anymore. I was afraid her hamstring injury from the semifinal would keep her out of the final. We've witnessed the emergence of a star.
They showed Lavelle receiving the bronze ball. Rapinoe received the gold ball, and presumably someone not playing today received the silver, since we didn’t see it. I don’t think there were two better players in the WC than Lavelle. She was everywhere, even if she did have “only” three goals.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Glad the US won. :)

Also glad we dont have to hear or read about it again until 2023. Also glad the next Men's world cup will be held in November and December of 2022.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They showed Lavelle receiving the bronze ball. Rapinoe received the gold ball, and presumably someone not playing today received the silver, since we didn’t see it. I don’t think there were two better players in the WC than Lavelle. She was everywhere, even if she did have “only” three goals.
Ironically enough, it was Lucy Bronze who received the Silver Ball award.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If you saw Rapinoe's postgame interview, you may have heard her shoutout to Brian, her older brother.

It was only recently that I learned about this backstory, and for me it added a new layer of respect for Megan:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also glad we dont have to hear or read about it again until 2023. Also glad the next Men's world cup will be held in November and December of 2022.
I take it you're not a fan of The Beautiful Game? :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I take it you're not a fan of The Beautiful Game? :rolleyes:

if its at the 85 minute mark in the knockout rounds and the score is tied or a 1 pt deficit........ I'll tune in til the end. But no... I cant watch it from the beginning. One exception was the 2002 Carolina Courage... I'd tune in on a few games.... and watched them win the championship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Glad the US won. :)

Also glad we dont have to hear or read about it again until 2023.
Sorry, Olympics next year. Women's Olympics is almost as big as the World Cup. (almost). You'll have to hear plenty about it. ;)

Also glad the next Men's world cup will be held in November and December of 2022.
Yea, that's the 2nd stupidest thing thing ever in football. The first of course was having the WC in Qatar to begin with. :mad:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They showed Lavelle receiving the bronze ball.
Well deserved.

Rapinoe received the gold ball,
Yea, probably not the best player on her own team, let alone the tournament. She played well against France, but other than her PK's didn't do a lot else. I'd say Lavelle, Ertz, Morgan, Dunn all had better tournaments than her.

Reaction Score
Well deserved.

Yea, probably not the best player on her own team, let alone the tournament. She played well against France, but other than her PK's didn't do a lot else. I'd say Lavelle, Ertz, Morgan, Dunn all had better tournaments than her.

Agree. For overall play, Tobin Heath might be ahead of her as well.

Rapinoe wouldn't have received either award if it weren't for her being designated to take the U.S. penalty kicks.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Well deserved.

The penalty kicks are so dramatic, and I think that swayed the opinion of the selection team. That and her captaincy. And past play. But others you mentioned had better overall tournaments.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree. For overall play, Tobin Heath might be ahead of her as well.

Rapinoe wouldn't have received either award if it weren't for her being designated to take the U.S. penalty kicks.
While there were many outstanding performances by the US players, Rapinoe was designated to take US penalty kicks for a reason. She has ice water in her veins. If England had made their penalty kicks, the US might not have even made it to the championship match.

As for her penalty kick vs the Dutch, Rapinoe clearly executed a well placed shot under enormous pressure. On her 2 previous PK’s she shot low and hard into the corner to the goaltender’s right. Against the best goaltender the US faced, Rapinoe surely was thinking along with the Dutch goalie that she would go for the left corner once again, so she froze the goalie and shot to the right corner. It’s certainly not as easy as Rapinoe made it look.

One final comment about Rapinoe’s play. Her service from the left wing into the box was brilliant. Had it not been for the spectacular play of the Dutch goalie, Rapinoe could have easily racked up several more assists.

Reaction Score
Lavelle epitomizes what the team makeup is: offensive players that play defense well. Numerous times during the tournament, Lavelle came out of nowhere to strip the ball handler. Great kid.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Offense always gets the headlines. ;) How about the play of the defense?

1. 0 goals against in the group stage victories. (3-0 record)
2. Shut out Sweden 2-0. They won the bronze.
3. Beat Spain, France and England giving up only 3 goals combined.
4. Shut out the Dutch for the World Cup title.

Some shaky moments, but overall excellent play. Credit goalkeeper Allyssa Naeher (from Stratford, Conn per her bio on USA website) with big saves in the most important games. Defense won the matches, offense gets the praise. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32