OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rapinoe scores on a very well designed corner in the 5'. US up 1-0. :D:D:D

Basically the whole team screened the goalie so she could not see a thing and the goal was untouched.
No matter how well designed the play, you've still got to make the kick. Fortunately for U.S. , they had Rapinoe taking the kick. She made it look easy, but it ain't.

Reaction Score
Yes, Rapinoe to the rescue. Though the US was quite fortunate, IMO,that O'Hara was not flagged for a handball (at least I thought it was) and that could have given France a penalty kick late in the game...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, Rapinoe to the rescue. Though the US was quite fortunate, IMO,that O'Hara was not flagged for a handball (at least I thought it was) and that could have given France a penalty kick late in the game...
Based on how they've been calling handballs the entire tournament (with extreme strictness), it should've been called. Quite the sudden departure here.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Rapinoe will be remembered for the goals, but it was her overall play (especially in the 1st half) that was her true contribution.

She was a monster, madly aggressive presence all over the field and displayed a level of determination to effect every play, a singular presence that I've rarely seen in woman's (or men's) football.

A wonderful game by a unique, driven athlete.

Reaction Score
Based on how they've been calling handballs the entire tournament (with extreme strictness), it should've been called. Quite the sudden departure here.

Under the rules, that was not a handball (handling). It was clear enough that they didn't even bother to go to a full VAR review - although no doubt it was quickly reviewed in the booth. She didn't have her arm extended out from her body, which has been the case in the ones they have called.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
How many of you thought that the disallowed US goal by Tobin Heath should have been a good goal? I replayed it several times, freezing it as nearly as possible at the moment of Morgan’s pass to Crystal Dunn, and each time (to my less than totally objective eyes) it appeared that Dunn was on-side when the pass was made.

If that goal had been allowed, then the game would be remembered as a decisive victory by a clearly superior American side, rather than as the US hanging on by their fingernails at the end.

I’m surprised that they did not appear to go to video to review that play. If it was done, it was done very quickly and with almost no fanfare. The TV broadcast did not show a full replay with a focus on the off-side call. I would think that the play was close enough (and important enough) to warrant a full review, even if the call on the field was eventually upheld.

I thought Heath was close to being offside on the second US goal, and that that play also might have been reviewed, but it wasn’t and the goal stood.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
I would start thinking of putting Carli Lloyd in on top. Morgan / Heath not really doing much up front.
Actually, I thought Tobin Heath had a very good game today — an assist on Rapinoe’s 2nd goal plus a disallowed goal of her own. If Crystal Dunn was offside on that disallowed goal (which I doubt), it certainly wasn’t the fault of Rapinoe, Morgan, or Heath, all of whom made great plays in that apparent scoring sequence.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Under the rules, that was not a handball (handling). It was clear enough that they didn't even bother to go to a full VAR review - although no doubt it was quickly reviewed in the booth. She didn't have her arm extended out from her body, which has been the case in the ones they have called.
Depends on what you call "extended." It looked very similar to other handballs that have been called this tournament. Her arm wasn't within the silhoutte of her body nor was it glued to her side.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rapinoe scores on a very well designed corner in the 5'. US up 1-0. :D:D:D

Basically the whole team screened the goalie so she could not see a thing and the goal was untouched.
Well that wasn't a corner, rather a freekick and I think it was more luck than plan that the goalie was screened. Not great keeping, but it counts.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rapinoe will be remembered for the goals, but it was her overall play (especially in the 1st half) that was her true contribution.

She was a monster, madly aggressive presence all over the field and displayed a level of determination to effect every play, a singular presence that I've rarely seen in woman's (or men's) football.

A wonderful game by a unique, driven athlete.
Great game, especially 1st half by her. Best I've seen her play in a long time. She must have been "motivated". :cool:

JoePgh

Reaction Score
I think that those (including on this board) who said that Rapinoe’s kneeling during the anthem was because she was trying to get attention since her soccer career was on a downward path have been proven wrong in these games.

Even if you don’t agree with someone (either their message or their manner of expressing it), why is it so hard to give them credit for the sincerity of their beliefs (unless you have real evidence to show otherwise)?

Reaction Score
Great game, especially 1st half by her. Best I've seen her play in a long time. She must have been "motivated". :cool:
My daughter & I got to see 4-years of Rapinoe, and 4-years of Christine Sinclair when they played at University of Portland. Characteristic of both, they were ALWAYS motivated when they played. Superior in their talent, effort, and teamwork.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well that wasn't a corner, rather a freekick and I think it was more luck than plan that the goalie was screened. Not great keeping, but it counts.

Yes. Free kick sorry. Still, it looked pretty schemed to me. As you say, it counts just the same.

Reaction Score

Agree. It's hard to develop a plan to both screen the goalie and let the ball find its way through a melee of players - including having the ball go right through the legs of a French defender. Much more luck than plan but it counts. If it were easy to plan a play like this, you would see it more than once a year.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think that those (including on this board) who said that Rapinoe’s kneeling during the anthem was because she was trying to get attention since her soccer career was on a downward path have been proven wrong in these games.

Even if you don’t agree with someone (either their message or their manner of expressing it), why is it so hard to give them credit for the sincerity of their beliefs (unless you have real evidence to show otherwise)?
Very well stated, and thank you for your willingness to defend freedom of speech. There are too many that do not appreciate the true value of that most precious of our rights and liberties.

Reaction Score
N
Agree. It's hard to develop a plan to both screen the goalie and let the ball find its way through a melee of players - including having the ball go right through the legs of a French defender. Much more luck than plan but it counts. If it were easy to plan a play like this, you would see it more than once a year.
No need to have the specifics of a goal planned out. Slam a hard shot that ought to be good on its own and good things happen...

Reaction Score
How many of you thought that the disallowed US goal by Tobin Heath should have been a good goal? I replayed it several times, freezing it as nearly as possible at the moment of Morgan’s pass to Crystal Dunn, and each time (to my less than totally objective eyes) it appeared that Dunn was on-side when the pass was made.

If that goal had been allowed, then the game would be remembered as a decisive victory by a clearly superior American side, rather than as the US hanging on by their fingernails at the end.

I’m surprised that they did not appear to go to video to review that play. If it was done, it was done very quickly and with almost no fanfare. The TV broadcast did not show a full replay with a focus on the off-side call. I would think that the play was close enough (and important enough) to warrant a full review, even if the call on the field was eventually upheld.

I thought Heath was close to being offside on the second US goal, and that that play also might have been reviewed, but it wasn’t and the goal stood.

Later in the game, they showed a freeze-frame of the U.S. goal that was disallowed. Dunn was definitely offside - but only because a toe was just past the last defender. It was too close for the AR to pop the flag however. Should have let it go - and then let VAR nullify the goal. They definitely reviewed it with VAR, as they are required to do on all plays like that.

As for the second U.S. goal, they also showed a good freeze-frame later in the game that showed she was onside - barely. That play was reviewed by the VAR crew and they concluded that she was onside and did not recommend that the ref make her own review.

When goals are scored or PK's are called, it is ALWAYS reviewed in the VAR booth. Then they may make a recommendation that the ref look at the video - and occasionally may recommend that the ref simply change the call if the mistake was blatant.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Here's a good read that gives more insight:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So. Does Italy (vs Netherlands) and Sweden (vs Germany) have a chance?

I would not mind having to face Sweden in the Finals and get some more payback.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Very well stated, and thank you for your willingness to defend freedom of speech. There are too many that do not appreciate the true value of that most precious of our rights and liberties.
And yet BYers do not have freedom of speech on the Women's Basketball forum and we all follow the rules or risk getting suspended. What's the difference?
BTW I am not against the BY rules just making a point.
And let's return to the OP.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
And yet BYers do not have freedom of speech on the Women's Basketball forum and we all follow the rules or risk getting suspended. What's the difference?
BTW I am not against the BY rules just making a point.

The difference is that (1) BY is a private entity, and (2) The First Amendment constrains government from limiting the free speech of citizens and the press.

Here is the relevant text: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;

Temery, Nan, Bif, JS, and the Boneyard, neither individually nor collectively are Congress; they are private entities, at whose pleasure we post.

When Congress or another government entity authorized by Congress, attempts to constrain freedom of speech, they contravene the Constitution. When any elected official tells someone else to shut up, because they don't like the content of the speaker's speech or actions, that is legal, albeit contrary to the spirit of the Constitution.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know this is off topic :rolleyes: but Netherlands just scored again in the 80' for 2-0 lead.

Edit. Done deal. After a very slow low energy 1st half (0-0), they just dominated the Italians in the 2nd half. Set pieces and headers and at least 2 other shots off the wood work. Nice to have a game where the winner deserves it and no VAR extracurriculars.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
...and ladies and gentlemen, back to our scheduled programming. The English coach just called Bronze the best player in the world. Not the best at her (fullback) position, but best. Period. Wait until he sees the US and their speed in the midfield.

Reaction Score
Its not luck.. i played soccer and ALL soccer teams practice the curtain shot; blocking the goalies peripheral and front view with an outside corner right kick... So no, it was not luck. Sorry, its just thousands of athletes spent hours and hours perfecting their craft that to call it lucky is almost almost a little off setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom