OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
...and ladies and gentlemen, back to our scheduled programming. The English coach just called Bronze the best player in the world. Not the best at her (fullback) position, but best. Period. Wait until he sees the US and their speed in the midfield.

I think it is funny the 'best player' in the world is named Bronze. Perfect Karma for when England plays for Bronze in the consolation game. ;););)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The difference is that (1) BY is a private entity, and (2) The First Amendment constrains government from limiting the free speech of citizens and the press.

Here is the relevant text: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;

Temery, Nan, Bif, JS, and the Boneyard, neither individually nor collectively are Congress; they are private entities, at whose pleasure we post.

When Congress or another government entity authorized by Congress, attempts to constrain freedom of speech, they contravene the Constitution. When any elected official tells someone else to shut up, because they don't like the content of the speaker's speech or actions, that is legal, albeit contrary to the spirit of the Constitution.
Thanks for the Civics lesson.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Germany playing Sweden. Oops. talk about Geopolitical. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Edit: Quick observation. Germany looks real good. I do not see Sweden winning

Edit 2: Sweden looked better for 10 minutes but Germany just scored in the 16' and look really strong 1-0

Edit 3: Sweden ties it up in 22'. This is a wide open game with alot of talent on both sides

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Germany playing Sweden. Oops. talk about Geopolitical. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Edit: Quick observation. Germany looks real good. I do not see Sweden winning

Edit 2: Sweden looked better for 10 minutes but Germany just scored in the 16' and look really strong 1-0

Edit 3: Sweden ties it up in 22'. This is a wide open game with alot of talent on both sides
Sweden started out looking like they felt they couldn't beat this team. I think the goal sort of woke them up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sweden started out looking like they felt they couldn't beat this team. I think the goal sort of woke them up.

OMG. Sweden up 2-1 in 47 minute. German Defense ultra porous.

Edit. Sweden wins 2-1. Germany never really put any sustained pressure on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its not luck.. i played soccer and ALL soccer teams practice the curtain shot; blocking the goalies peripheral and front view with an outside corner right kick... So no, it was not luck. Sorry, its just thousands of athletes spent hours and hours perfecting their craft that to call it lucky is almost almost a little off setting.

I've played, coached, and reffed soccer for 50 years. It was mostly luck. Yes, teams practice that sort of play - but the main goal is to have a player redirect it past the goalkeeper. Not to have it luckily go right through the legs of a defender and then past the goalie.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I've played, coached, and reffed soccer for 50 years. It was mostly luck. Yes, teams practice that sort of play - but the main goal is to have a player redirect it past the goalkeeper. Not to have it luckily go right through the legs of a defender and then past the goalie.
Its not luck.. i played soccer and ALL soccer teams practice the curtain shot; blocking the goalies peripheral and front view with an outside corner right kick... So no, it was not luck. Sorry, its just thousands of athletes spent hours and hours perfecting their craft that to call it lucky is almost almost a little off setting.
An actual occurrence in my life. A friend of mine flipped a coin once and it landed on its edge. I'll never forget it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You would think so, but the Europeans didn’t really emphasize women’s soccer like they did men’s soccer until the last 10-20 years or so. But that’s no longer the case. Today there’s lots of little girls in Europe kicking soccer balls with dreams of winning a World Cup championship.
I like to think this emphasis was due to the movie “Bend it like Beckham” :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you are wrong here. While they "may" have been trying to create chaos, Ertz was making a front post run as she almost always does (looking for a flik or redirection). That it got through all those players without anybody touching it, and the GK didn't make a very good play...lucky. But like I said it counts. Good job by the US and Rapinoe.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I will admit to having watched a lot more hockey than soccer. In hockey, both of these methods (screening the goaltender to get a shot through, and deflecting a teammate's shot just enough so that the goaltender can't react to the changed trajectory) are quite common and are intentionally practiced. Really, it's just two variations on the same thing. If you get traffic in front of the goaltender so that he/she can't see the ball/puck as it comes towards him, that increases the chance of a goal. If the player(s) screening the goaltender can tip the shot so that the goalie has to react to changed direction, that also makes a score more likely. The choices are not mutually exclusive, and can be pursued simultaneously. I think that is what happened yesterday: Ertz tried for deflection and didn't get it, but she did screen the goalkeeper so that the shot made its way through all the feet in front of the goal.

Reaction Score
I will admit to having watched a lot more hockey than soccer. In hockey, both of these methods (screening the goaltender to get a shot through, and deflecting a teammate's shot just enough so that the goaltender can't react to the changed trajectory) are quite common and are intentionally practiced. Really, it's just two variations on the same thing. If you get traffic in front of the goaltender so that he/she can't see the ball/puck as it comes towards him, that increases the chance of a goal. If the player(s) screening the goaltender can tip the shot so that the goalie has to react to changed direction, that also makes a score more likely. The choices are not mutually exclusive, and can be pursued simultaneously. I think that is what happened yesterday: Ertz tried for deflection and didn't get it, but she did screen the goalkeeper so that the shot made its way through all the feet in front of the goal.

Sure, they try to screen the GK on plays like this. But in practice, the idea is for someone to get a foot on the ball, not for the ball to luckily go through a maze of players, including through the legs of one of them, and ending up going directly in the net.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What would be the purpose of visiting your opponent's hotel while their team was at practice? What advantage could be gained by that?

JordyG

Reaction Score
What would be the purpose of visiting your opponent's hotel while their team was at practice? What advantage could be gained by that?
Put a horse head in the coaches bed?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've read and seen a couple things on this, but still can't figure out what the deal is yet????? Either side.

After thinking about it, I think the issue is that the US advance team was looking at the British Hotel which apparently is nicer so that if they won, they would want to switch from their current hotel to the new one.

Of course, this implies that the US team is so sure of victory that they are scouting their next housing upgrade.

If not, I think this is how Jill Ellis and some of the US players are interpreting the British angst

It is funny that there is also an article on ESPNw about the British team and how their coach Neville is this super genius guy who leaves nothing to chance etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
After thinking about it, I think the issue is that the US advance team was looking at the British Hotel which apparently is nicer so that if they won, they would want to switch from their current hotel to the new one.
Sorta makes sense. Although to me it seems like staying put in one place would be preferable to moving again. Even if just across town. ???? I assume the USA has a pretty nice hotel, I mean how much better could the Brits' hotel be??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sorta makes sense. Although to me it seems like staying put in one place would be preferable to moving again. Even if just across town. ???? I assume the USA has a pretty nice hotel, I mean how much better could the Brits' hotel be??

In other follow ups, the USWNT said that this is just normal and they were actually scouting all possibilities like Plan A, Plan B etc. The plans would be different if they lose and need to play the consolation game since the 2 games are in different cities. So I guess the British hotel now is in Lyon where the final is scheduled.

Anyhow, always fun to get under the stuffed collars of the Brits.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In other follow ups, the USWNT said that this is just normal and they were actually scouting all possibilities like Plan A, Plan B etc. The plans would be different if they lose and need to play the consolation game since the 2 games are in different cities. So I guess the British hotel now is in Lyon where the final is scheduled.

Anyhow, always fun to get under the stuffed collars of the Brits.
Well the Semi's are also in Lyon, so I assume all 4 teams are there.

Reaction Score
So today is game day. What Jill Ellis'roster is going to be. Is she going to make any change, i.e. Lindsey Horan start instead of whoever. Ellis was very slow with substitution. Against France, US lost in possession time, shots taken but could have a 3-0 lead if not for the questionable offside call. Ellis did go for a 5-3-2 to protect the lead and it worked. England is looking great against Norway and Neville is making plenty of noise. So it will be a very tough and physical game. My totally biased and unfounded prediction: US will advance!!! What's yours?:)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So today is game day. What Jill Ellis'roster is going to be. Is she going to make any change, i.e. Lindsey Horan start instead of whoever. Ellis was very slow with substitution. Against France, US lost in possession time, shots taken but could have a 3-0 lead if not for the questionable offside call. Ellis did go for a 5-3-2 to protect the lead and it worked. England is looking great against Norway and Neville is making plenty of noise. So it will be a very tough and physical game. My totally biased and unfounded prediction: US will advance!!! What's yours?:)

US 2-1.

Reaction Score
Horan and Press in
Mewis and Rapinoe out

D-fPsUXXYAIyb84

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, Rapinoe on the bench is quite the talking point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Horan and Press in
Mewis and Rapinoe out

D-fPsUXXYAIyb84
I like it. Maybe Press' speed can keep Bronze at home. And having the "make magic happen" / "clutch" players (Rapinoe and Lloyd) coming off the bench late in the game if needed is a good look.

Rapinoe is older and may be getting a bit leggy. A break might be really good for her. And you'll still have her off the bench for the last 20-30 if you need her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Rapinoe on the bench is quite the talking point.

I think the heat conditions is part of that decision and Press may be better at dealing with Bronze 1 v 1.

I like Press alot so I am okay with this.

I like Horan over Mewis because I think she is more physical and I feel this is going to be a very physical game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom