OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't want to hear any more of that nonsense about the US having the two best teams in the tourney.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Three minutes left, plus stoppage.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Three cheers for a gritty, tough, physical English team that gave the US as much as it could handle. England has shown itself to easily be the 2nd best team in the tournament. Their on ball skills and speed up the middle was almost the US's undoing. Get well Rosie, Tobin, we're gonna need you next game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I mean, why even use a clock if the game length is determined ultimately by a wild-assed guess?
May as well have forced the teams to play an entire period.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I mean, why even use a clock if the game length is determined ultimately by a wild-assed guess?
Not by a guess (at least not in theory). When there's a stoppage situation the referee is supposed to track the time on their wristwatch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great game. Wish it did not end with a red card though. Hoping Lavelle and Rapinoe are ok for the final but hamstrings are a mystical thing.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not by a guess (at least not in theory). When there's a stoppage situation the referee is supposed to track the time on their wristwatch.

Thanks for the correction. To me, the NCAA rule is far preferable: stop the clock, so that when it says “zero,” it really means zero.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. To me, the NCAA rule is far preferable: stop the clock, so that when it says “zero,” it really mens zero.

Agree, I would much prefer to see the time displayed. As for the ref keeping track of stoppage time on her watch, that is more theoretical than actual. Someone tracked stoppage time at the last World Cup and found they were consistently short by 2-5 minutes.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Great game. Wish it did not end with a red card though. Hoping Lavelle and Rapinoe are ok for the final but hamstrings are a mystical thing.
I know it may go against some peoples grain, but I think Rose not playing in the final would hurt more than Rapinoe. Press was quite adequate in Rapinoe's stead, but Rose's speed kept the English defense back on their heels, her speed helped when she came back on defense to help, and her work with Heath was exemplary. I hope they're all well for the final.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just listening to the British panelist on the FOX broadcast and she just lambasted Neville for the 1st half tactical strategy. Apparently he had set them up with a 1-1-4-4 with several players playing in positions they were not used to. It does explain why the US had so many quality chances in the run of play. When they went back to a 3-3-4 in the second half, the game was much more even (or slightly on the British side)

Of course, I am just a fan and really do not understand these alignment issues but I am guessing Neville will be blasted all over England.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I know it may go against some peoples grain, but I think Rose not playing in the final would hurt more than Rapinoe. Press was quite adequate in Rapinoe's stead, but Rose's speed kept the English defense back on their heels, her speed helped when she came back on defense to help, and her work with Heath was exemplary. I hope they're all well for the final.
I just got through saying the exact same thing. Rose's tremendous value was exposed when she went out and the US midfield went to mush. (And to think, Heather O'Reilly said early in the tournament that she would've benched Lavelle for Mewis.)

Press did play well overall, but failing to lay that ball off to a wide-open Morgan in the second half could have proved costly. Overall I think Rapinoe's decisions and playmaking are more consistently quality than Press's.

Reaction Score
Make up Penalty Shot for offside call

I may have to look at the play from start but it sure looked both of England's player were offside...and not by an inch...therefore that penalty kick/VAR should have never taken place, if anything to check whether England was/were offside on play.

Side note, thought Press made a poor call early in second half to take the shot when two US players were open.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
who was that interviewing Raphinoe after the game??

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. To me, the NCAA rule is far preferable: stop the clock, so that when it says “zero,” it really means zero.
Be grateful that the 4th referee now at least displays the amount of stoppage time on their board. Until 1996, only the center referee would know, until the moment the whistle blew.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I may have to look at the play from start but it sure looked both of England's player were offside...and not by an inch...therefore that penalty kick/VAR should have never taken place, if anything to check whether England was/were offside on play.

Side note, thought Press made a poor call early in second half to take the shot when two US players were open.
As soon as she took that shot I said to myself, inexperience. Give the gal a few more of these games and she'd have made that pass. Rapinoe though is a finisher, but Press is quite a passer and a terrific dribbler. She made quite a few sweet gives to her teammates.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Anyone with eyes can see Lavelle is the most talented on-ball player we have. She is really brilliant and almost makes me believe she is not an American ;)
(i.e plays like a mix of European / Brazil)

But Rapinoe has great value for penalty and free kicks so our strongest side has both of them in. Rapinoe was interviewed and said her hammy issue was very mild and she should be back in for the final. And Lavelle looked pretty mobile on the sideline so hopefully, she can make it back.

Reaction Score
All calls in the game were good. Correct on offside, penalty and red card. VAR used just to confirm. Game ended as it should. Great jobs to both teams.

Reaction Score

No. White was onside at the moment the pass was made since she was actually slightly behind the ball and also behind the American defender (O'Hara) who was trying to mark the Brit who made the pass. If you freeze the action at the moment the pass was made, it is quite clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom