OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the excellent and well fought game Australia vs Norway, the best player for the Aussies sent the ball high over the bar during the PK tie breaker and pretty much ensured their defeat.

Yes, much discussion on that on the previous page of this thread.

Reaction Score
Heh, takes a lot of chutzpah for the Brazilians to be flopping to ground on these French fouls :D

Reaction Score
General observation of games played so far. Never seen so many kicks go over or wide of the net, from outside the circle.

Reaction Score
General observation of games played so far. Never seen so many kicks go over or wide of the net, from outside the circle.

Another observation. Refereeing has been worse than atrocious. Most CR's have been terrible, and the VAR has not worked as it should. The call negating the French goal today was worse than I would expect from a U-11 referee.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France with a well deserved win overcoming the terrible take away goal and Brazil's gamesmanship.

Looking forward to the US vs Spain match.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USA took 1-0 lead on a Rapinoe penalty kick (from a Tobin move) but Spain ties it up on a terrible miscue on the backline.

This game is wide open.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again, can anyone put a shot on goal (where the goalie has to make a save) from outside the circle?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It felt like the ref had a very long leash on Spain's physicality all game...and then she awards a penalty for the slightest touches.

There will be complaining about that pen after the game, especially from the growing hordes rooting for USA's downfall. Of course, USA has been the better team throughout.

I actually was curious to see who we would bring on to try to change the game. But the ref just took all the drama out of the game with the penalty award.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Now you can argue if we're truly as good as people say we were.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You might be talking about the penalty but the Spanish girl that dived when Rapinoe's fingertips grazed her face was far more flagrant.
I am talking about all the times players ended up on the ground throughout this tournament with little or no real contact happening.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada / Sweden a war of attrition. Feels like a 0-0 penalty kick game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sweden with a nice counter attack goal against the run of play. 1-0 Sweden in 55'

Edit: Canada got a hand ball penalty call (50/50 at best) but was stuffed (Sinclair did not take it ??) on the penalty kick by the Swedish goal kicker (the one who took us out at the Olympics)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
US gets a very dubious (imho) penalty in 77' Up 2-1 with Rapinoe burying it.

Agree....and you are providing the polite version.

IMO the game was decided by the ref who paved the path to a bad outcome....and that was with the benefit of slow motion replay.

While the score says otherwise, Spain didn't "lose" the game. The incident reminded me of the bad calls that cost the Saints a trip to the Super Bowl in the NFC Championship game last year and Mississippi State the WBC Championship in the ND/MS 2018 Championship.

Its so infortunate to see these things happen...so much hard work unnecessarily deprived.

I'm a huge fan of Women soccer (and basketball!)....but find the outcome disappointing and disillusioning.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Eh, Spain didn't really offer very much going forward and were gifted a goal by a massive defensive blunder. They spent most of the game hacking away at the US players with relative impunity.

They didn't "lose" the game but they didn't deserve to win it either. I don't feel so bad for them.

Reaction Score
You might be talking about the penalty but the Spanish girl that dived when Rapinoe's fingertips grazed her face was far more flagrant.

Yeah....I was thinking the same thing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Canada ... lots of bad play out there. It was an errant offensive pass inside that led to Sweden's goal. Shots on goal very few and poor. Too bad.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Eh, Spain didn't really offer very much going forward and were gifted a goal by a massive defensive blunder. They spent most of the game hacking away at the US players with relative impunity.

They didn't "lose" the game but they didn't deserve to win it either. I don't feel so bad for them.
The US had the better of the run of play, but Spain had some dangerous moments, including a shot that skated across the face of goal and barely past the far post.

The second penalty was just so dang soft. From the replay it was painfully clear that Lavelle flopped after taking two steps and thinking "Wait! I was touched! I should fall down and maybe get a PK!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom