WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gaining a lot of traction through Alexa and google home etc. effectively taking the place of the clock radio.

Interesting. I can’t understand why anyone would have one of those.

But home with Alexa still don’t get what the audience is for just audio.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I used to listen to 10 hours of AM a day.

Now that Mike is gone the only AM I listen to is UConn football pregame/postgame and if I happen to have to be in the car during a basketball game.

I don’t get who streams the audio? In the car? Otherwise wouldn’t you just stream the video?

I have streamed audio in the car rather than ESPN tv coverage for a more reliable connection. I also do it for “homer” type coverage. But I am weird in that sometimes I will listen to the Giants radio in my house sound system with tv sound off - again for home team POV audio.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have streamed audio in the car rather than ESPN tv coverage for a more reliable connection. I also do it for “homer” type coverage. But I am weird in that sometimes I will listen to the Giants radio in my house sound system with tv sound off - again for home team POV audio.

Radio is seconds abead of cable TV isn’t it?

Do you sync up a Bob Papa stream with cable TV?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Radio is seconds abead of cable TV isn’t it?

Do you sync up a Bob Papa stream with cable TV?
Yes, most of the time Bob Papa is 3 to 4 seconds ahead which is really useful because I can better see the play develop on tv. It also allows me to look away and race back when something good happens.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Smart Speaker Penetration: 22% By Year-End 2017.

22pct penetration expected by end of 2017. In aggregate was one of the biggest gifts during the holiday season. I now have 5 Alexas. None of which I bought for myself.

You might want to tell Santa no more Alexas.

I get that other people like them - but it’s for a different discussion.

At home I still don’t get why anyone would listen to the audio stream instead of watching the video. Other than the few dozen weirdos like Ex 4 who like Bob Papa to deliver their bad news.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A UConn football game on ESPNU gets like 150k viewers.

The terrestrial radio broadcast gets some fraction of that.

The streaming radio broadcast? Since you have to actively go find it? No way it gets 5 figures of listeners right?

Reaction Score
A UConn football game on ESPNU gets like 150k viewers.

The terrestrial radio broadcast gets some fraction of that.

The streaming radio broadcast? Since you have to actively go find it? No way it gets 5 figures of listeners right?

No idea. Would have to ask the IMG guys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No idea. Would have to ask the IMG guys.

I know I’m old school but we barely get 5 figures of people to show up in person so I struggle to believe there are as many people without access to television, video or terrestrial radio who would make an effort to listen via an app.

Reaction Score
Is that different than TuneIn? And isn’t it still going to be TuneIn?
I was told from someone who used to work with Joe D that it would be on the iHeart radio app. I found the Tune-in app difficult sometimes. On another note...he also told me what has been written here already that there will be seperate radio teams for sports so that they can get them streamed. If you want to listen to football and hockey you can get it..football, hoops same thing. WTIC didn’t offer that flexibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was told from someone who used to work with Joe D that it would be on the iHeart radio app. I found the Tune-in app difficult sometimes. On another note...he also told me what has been written here already that there will be seperate radio teams for sports so that they can get them streamed. If you want to listen to football and hockey you can get it..football, hoops same thing. WTIC didn’t offer that flexibility.

Agreed the Tunein app sucks. But I thought that was a part of the IMG relationship.

It probably isn’t a huge volume of games that have been ignored because of overlap and a lack of broadcasters but if the hockey fans can stream during a basketball game that is upside.

Reaction Score
Agreed the Tunein app sucks. But I thought that was a part of the IMG relationship.

It probably isn’t a huge volume of games that have been ignored because of overlap and a lack of broadcasters but if the hockey fans can stream during a basketball game that is upside.
I’ll be interested to see how the coaches show’s are done. Everyone puts a different spin on things.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’ll be interested to see how the coaches show’s are done. Everyone puts a different spin on things.

I don’t listen often - but forget the live audience and get in a studio. The on location shows are a brutal listen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You might want to tell Santa no more Alexas.

I get that other people like them - but it’s for a different discussion.

At home I still don’t get why anyone would listen to the audio stream instead of watching the video. Other than the few dozen weirdos like Ex 4 who like Bob Papa to deliver their bad news.
If you're in your house I agree, I'd be streaming video and not audio. However, if I'm at my house and outside doing work, I'm listening via my phone and streaming the audio. I don't even know if they make devices like walkmans that you can get radio on.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you're in your house I agree, I'd be streaming video and not audio. However, if I'm at my house and outside doing work, I'm listening via my phone and streaming the audio. I don't even know if they make devices like walkmans that you can get radio on.....

Chief has deemed you: casual fan.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: UConn, WTIC split could turn ugly

>>Zachary made a point that it wasn’t about the money. It was, in fact, the lead of the JI article.

According to UConn officials, however, the 10-year, multi-million dollar deal with iHeart is for more money and for more years than what Entercom/WTIC offered. In the negotiations, iHeart stepped up its bid with IMG. It had to in order to knock out the incumbent.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Yeah, when playing with the kids in the back yard I like to stream audio rather than the live tv broadcast even though I could do both. I listen to many Met games this way....until last year when I had to take a long break from the messy Metz.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The proof will be in the reach numbers. Naturally, the number of people streaming/listening to WBB will drop to zero assuming the grandkids turn off their infernal webphones when they are done playing with them.

For the rest of us, this might be the long desired move for UConn to produce more of its own content for direct sale/distribution. This of course assumes a product worthy of it. The only WTIC I listened to was the FB pre/post on the way to/from the Rent. Haven't listened to MBB on the radio in many years. I tried to stream Hockey once or twice, but the app didn't work so well.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

>>Zachary made a point that it wasn’t about the money. It was, in fact, the lead of the JI article.

According to UConn officials, however, the 10-year, multi-million dollar deal with iHeart is for more money and for more years than what Entercom/WTIC offered. In the negotiations, iHeart stepped up its bid with IMG. It had to in order to knock out the incumbent.<<
The more I read and the more I think about it, we can’t get rid of WTIC fast enough. Uconn sports should simply be on a sports radio station and on FM at this day and age. If the new team is offering FM, more money, same or more coverage and streaming, then forget WTIC which seemingly had no desire to change a thing.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

read the article and honestly, if Jacobs wants to know how to make it not turn ugly it's very simple, don't publish anything else Zachary or Entercomm has to say about this split. I know he won't do that because he needs the clicks, but seriously, give it a rest and move on. The decision was made, fans will get over it, and UConn will likely benefit in the long term. It's a win all around for UConn to be honest.

I just get tired of people constantly dragging and redragging topics over and over again that don't need to be (Yes I get the irony of saying that on the BY). There's no legal ramifications that Entercomm can press against UConn so who cares what they think. UConn did what was best for them, move the heck on....

Reaction Score
The more I read and the more I think about it, we can’t get rid of WTIC fast enough. Uconn sports should simply be on a sports radio station and on FM at this day and age. If the new team is offering FM, more money, same or more coverage and streaming, then forgot WTIC which seemingly had no desire to change a thing.
Hear Hear!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Devastating! One of the more powerful radio stations in NE..wide range of coverage

Apparently it was a business decision by CBS.....which now owns WTIC.26 year relationship ends after BB season is over.!!!!

WTIC could not come to a monetary agreement with UConn for broadcast rights. CBS suggested UConn/DB was looking for same revenue as P5 schools for broadcast rights. That won't work for CBS.

That possibly points to a bigger problem for UConn as they look for alternatives. Its possible the number of vendors willing to buy advertising slots during the game has diminished, and/or they do not want to pay as much for advertising as they do for P5 teams. Could be a bit of both.

No more coaches programs either.

W-L records and empty stadiums/arenas just isn't worth the cost of advertisement per entity.."I guess"

Watch out if major commercial TV stations drop UConn for the same reason.

No comment from UConn.....yet,

As Dirty Harry would comment. "wonderful"

If it is on iHeartRadio, I might hear the UConn game on my IHeart app...Great...

Reaction Score
read the article and honestly, if Jacobs wants to know how to make it not turn ugly it's very simple, don't publish anything else Zachary or Entercomm has to say about this split. I know he won't do that because he needs the clicks, but seriously, give it a rest and move on. The decision was made, fans will get over it, and UConn will likely benefit in the long term. It's a win all around for UConn to be honest.

I just get tired of people constantly dragging and redragging topics over and over again that don't need to be (Yes I get the irony of saying that on the BY). There's no legal ramifications that Entercomm can press against UConn so who cares what they think. UConn did what was best for them, move the heck on....
The move away from WTIC is akin to the mascot 'controversy'. New England curmudgeons got up in arms. Let the dust settle. This deal means more $$ , better reach, more programming and possibly new blood in the announcing booth to attract new grads and millennials. There's a reason why the 25-40 year old demographic gets stratified. I'm old and understand the attraction of this move. Too many people yelling 'get off my lawn' in the fanbase

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom