WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports?

Reaction Score
Wonder what soured between him and the school?
I'm not sure..but he seemed a bit surprised/blind sided by the whole thing if you ask me (which really doesn't bother me one bit either...definitely not fan by any means)...actually had a bewildered look on his face. At the end of the day he got the full time play by play job after Marty Glickman moved on so he can be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he actually balked at being assigned to only 1 sport either.....

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Another domino in the conference realignment lottery disaster?

Even less revenue going forward?
No, more would be my guess. Welp, I guess I'm going to get the Iheart radio app. Hopefully it will be a better a stream.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Word has it AD Dave was trying to direct WTICs daily programming to ones that were favorable to the schools teams. Also that the school was unhappy about the stations lean to the right.

May or may not be something in this morning's JI.

There's probably a grain of truth to it, but that article also seemed to be an attempt from the guys at Entercom to spread their own narrative

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is the perfect time to fire up Boneyard Radio. We can have our own Bill Walton in August West on the color, and Chief00 on play by play. We could give iHeart a run for its money.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No, more would be my guess. Welp, I guess I'm going to get the Iheart radio app. Hopefully it will be a better a stream.
Will be curious if that will be the app to use or if we'd still is TuneIn. From what I have seen in this thread, it was never WTIC you'd stream but IMG radio. So it might be the same even if we are on iHeart radio. Guess we'll find out soon.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the new new station signs up a simultcast partner for Bridgeport and new London and broadcasts the same amount of games and coaches shows than we will be ahead. For instance WFAN in nyc has been more more enjoyable on its fm simultcast which started a few years ago.

Reaction Score
So, in the Hartford Courant article, it's stated that the relationship between IMG-UConn & iHeart-ESPN calls for broadcast of Men's & Women's basketball, football, & Men's hockey games. Later in the article, it states that iHeart will have 3 separate broadcast teams. Also says that overflow games will be broadcast om WPOP-1410 AM, which has the broadcast area of a pin head.
Back in the day WDRC and WPOP were THE stations for music. Then came FM radio and WHCN (copy of WBCN in Boston) and WCCC in Hartford with WPLR in New Haven. I listen to Sirius now so I no idea what has become of those stations although I occasionally run across WPLR while tuning skis in the garage. Did WTIC get bought by Sinclair or something? Those guys are far right.

Reaction Score
Word has it AD Dave was trying to direct WTICs daily programming to ones that were favorable to the schools teams. Also that the school was unhappy about the stations lean to the right.

May or may not be something in this morning's JI.
Indeed there was. WTIC-AM says UConn wanted to change station's politics

I am sure that it was a simple calculation, they did not want to turn off their audience.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Indeed there was. WTIC-AM says UConn wanted to change station's politics

I am sure that it was a simple calculation, they did not want to turn off their audience.
Interesting news story from JI which leans right...but if WTIC wants to prove its point about politics then detail the financial proposal and put pressure on the university and ESPN to do the same. Hard for me to believe given the serious financial stress on the university that it would have left money on the table because of WTIC’s talk programming.

Could politics pushed it one way or another in a tie, well yes I guess so - but I also do think that its possible WTIC was uncooperative about finding a simultcast partner for the FM dial and with presenting any kind of plan to build a broader radio network.

While i’m not that old and still listen to AM radio, i’m not sure I have one friend under age 50 that has listened to AM in a decade. I’m pretty sure 70% of millennials have no idea what AM is. We are another 10 years away from AM radio being a novelty toy and not a service or business.

And one last point, WTIC’s signal had a lot of gaps in it outside of the CT river valley. It basically doesn’t exist past Shelton. The last couple years I started streaming it not only at home but in my car when tooling around the fringes of the state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find Chris Powell a bit right of center but still the kind of guy that I respect for his well thought out point of view and on occasion have had an offline email discussion with him.

I think their editorial page is dead center or even slightly left. Which to me makes for a very interesting paper to read. And of course they had the best sports writer in the northeast in Randy Smith until he left us way too early 15 years or so ago.

But of course Jacobs is saying that politics had nothing to do with it and I tend to believe that. I can believe, however, that UConn wanted some editorial control. That I could easily believe as it is done all over the country.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of 3 separate broadcast teams. Allows them to pick people who specialize in their knowledge of the sport and are good at announcing it. I like JoeD but find him better suited for bball then football.

Would be nice to see Dan O get a color commentator gig for football. Thought his broadcast last season was really good and his insight on Twitter is solid.
This is fine by me. Uconn really needed to get a fresh start. Joe was okay for hoops, but for football and hockey, not so good.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I find Chris Powell a bit right of center but still the kind of guy that I respect for his well thought out point of view and on occasion have had an offline email discussion with him.

I think their editorial page is dead center or even slightly left. Which to me makes for a very interesting paper to read. And of course they had the best sports writer in the northeast in Randy Smith until he left us way too early 15 years or so ago.

But of course Jacobs is saying that politics had nothing to do with it and I tend to believe that. I can believe, however, that UConn wanted some editorial control. That I could easily believe as it is done all over the country.
Without saying too much - I love Chris Powell! Okay comments over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Interesting news story from JI which leans right...but if WTIC wants to prove its point about politics then detail the financial proposal and put pressure on the university and ESPN to do the same. Hard for me to believe given the serious financial stress on the university that it would have left money on the table because of WTIC’s talk programming.

Could politics pushed it one way or another in a tie, well yes I guess so - but I also do think that its possible WTIC was uncooperative about finding a simultcast partner for the FM dial and with presenting any kind of plan to build a broader radio network.

While i’m not that old and still listen to AM radio, i’m not sure I have one friend under age 50 that has listened to AM in a decade. I’m pretty sure 70% of millennials have no idea what AM is. We are another 10 years away from AM radio being a novelty toy and not a service or business.

And one last point, WTIC’s signal had a lot of gaps in it outside of the CT river valley. It basically doesn’t exist past Shelton. The last couple years I started streaming it not only at home but in my car when tooling around the fringes of the state.

I used to listen to 10 hours of AM a day.

Now that Mike is gone the only AM I listen to is UConn football pregame/postgame and if I happen to have to be in the car during a basketball game.

I don’t get who streams the audio? In the car? Otherwise wouldn’t you just stream the video?

Reaction Score

Now that Mike is gone the only AM I listen to is UConn football pregame/postgame and if I happen to have to be in the car during a basketball game.

I don’t get who streams the audio? In the car? Otherwise wouldn’t you just stream the video?

Yes in car. Or if the game isn’t on ESPN and the video isn’t available.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
At night, when I lived in Wisconsin as a youth, I used to listen to WWWE from Cleveland. Came in clear as a bell.
WWWE - would get that at night in w ct. always remember the indians song. “Catch Indian Fever, be a believer, in the Cleveland Indians” “then tom toms.

Reaction Score

Whaler with Apple Car play now you can pretty much do anything in the car through your phone

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler with Apple Car play now you can pretty much do anything in the car through your phone

Yes I know. I just didn’t know if the audio streaming had broad usage beyond in-car outside of the radio signal range.

It’s pretty funny they said they are going to use WPOP for overflow... that might as well be streaming only. You can get WPOP within a 10 mile radius on a good day.

Reaction Score
Yes I know. I just didn’t know if the audio streaming had broad usage beyond in-car outside of the radio signal range.

It’s pretty funny they said they are going to use WPOP for overflow... that might as well be streaming only. You can get WPOP within a 10 mile radius on a good day.

Gaining a lot of traction through Alexa and google home etc. effectively taking the place of the clock radio.

Reaction Score

This whole thing is a win/win for me...can’t get WTIC down in Fairfield County so now I can easily hit iHeart radio app and get what ever I want...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This whole thing is a win/win for me...can’t get WTIC down in Fairfield County so now I can easily hit iHeart radio app and get what ever I want...

Is that different than TuneIn? And isn’t it still going to be TuneIn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom