WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports?

Reaction Score
Bottom line, once WTIC abandons UConn sports they may as well shut the place down because an hour of computer talk on Saturday morning(when everyone is either at work or at the mall) and an hour of tag sales on Sunday morning just won't pay the bills.

Reaction Score
Word has it AD Dave was trying to direct WTICs daily programming to ones that were favorable to the schools teams. Also that the school was unhappy about the stations lean to the right.

May or may not be something in this morning's JI.

Reaction Score
Strange station, many places in CT where you cannot get it but it comes in clear as a bell driving across Eastern Ontario at night
When lowest level of ionosphere disappears at night, you get a wider angle bounce and hence greater reach of the signal. Yes, really!

Reaction Score
So, in the Hartford Courant article, it's stated that the relationship between IMG-UConn & iHeart-ESPN calls for broadcast of Men's & Women's basketball, football, & Men's hockey games. Later in the article, it states that iHeart will have 3 separate broadcast teams. Also says that overflow games will be broadcast om WPOP-1410 AM, which has the broadcast area of a pin head.

Reaction Score
When lowest level of ionosphere disappears at night, you get a wider angle bounce and hence greater reach of the signal. Yes, really!

At night, when I lived in Wisconsin as a youth, I used to listen to WWWE from Cleveland. Came in clear as a bell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In an ideal world Uconn sports would have remained on the state’s most powerful station, but if ESPN is prepared to provide the same level or more of coverage for more money and increase the broadcast network, then so be it.

I would really like to see one of the major fm stations in lower FF county pick up Uconn sports since my only option is to stream - which is fine - but it would be nice.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
In an ideal world Uconn sports would have remained on the state’s most powerful station, but if ESPN is prepared to provide the same level or more of coverage for more money and increase the broadcast network, then so be it.

I would really like to see one of the major fm stations in lower FF county pick up Uconn sports since my only option is to stream - which is fine - but it would be nice.
I'd hope that part of the new deal would include a push for this. The lack of attention paid to the SW part of our state in terms of getting UConn games available has always been a thing I was surprised about. I know they tried playing games in Bridgeport and that was good but not getting any games on the radio via 1080 was surprising.

I know a lot of people now stream their radio or use satellite but not all. Hopefully focusing on the wealthier part of our state is part of this deal.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So, in the Hartford Courant article, it's stated that the relationship between IMG-UConn & iHeart-ESPN calls for broadcast of Men's & Women's basketball, football, & Men's hockey games. Later in the article, it states that iHeart will have 3 separate broadcast teams. Also says that overflow games will be broadcast om WPOP-1410 AM, which has the broadcast area of a pin head.
I like the idea of 3 separate broadcast teams. Allows them to pick people who specialize in their knowledge of the sport and are good at announcing it. I like JoeD but find him better suited for bball then football.

Would be nice to see Dan O get a color commentator gig for football. Thought his broadcast last season was really good and his insight on Twitter is solid.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Sorry for multiple posts but I would be shocked if many of the WTIC folks don't find their way to iHeart. WTIC has no need for them and iHeart would be smart to keep some of the voices that have become part of the UConn fabric to help with the transition.

Helps that many of these folks would be set to only one sport.

Reaction Score
Sorry for multiple posts but I would be shocked if many of the WTIC folks don't find their way to iHeart. WTIC has no need for them and iHeart would be smart to keep some of the voices that have become part of the UConn fabric to help with the transition.

Helps that many of these folks would be set to only one sport.

JoeD is one guy I would expect to continue on the men's basketball broadcasts. There is no need for him to continue at WTIC. However, Bob Joyce as long been a fixture working at WTIC, doing morning sports and such. His only play by play gig has been the UConn women. It wouldn't surprise me to see him stay at the station continuing what he has done there apart from doing the women's games.

Reaction Score
Hence, occasionally picking up WTIC in Maryland and listening in bed as a young lad to 50K watt WOWO"s Ft Wayne Comets' hockey games. And now, it's 2018 and UConn's games will be far more accessible nationally and beyond. Progress!

Reaction Score
JoeD is one guy I would expect to continue on the men's basketball broadcasts. There is no need for him to continue at WTIC. However, Bob Joyce as long been a fixture working at WTIC, doing morning sports and such. His only play by play gig has been the UConn women. It wouldn't surprise me to see him stay at the station continuing what he has done there apart from doing the women's games.

I don't understand people's allegiance to Joe D. As stated by Waquoit in one of the threads (Which the mods should merge into one thread & post on all of the boards), Bob Heusler, who called the "Tate shot", was a MUCH better announcer, but 'TIC wanted Joe D.
Having been a Sirius-XM subscriber for over a dozen years, I've listened to the broadcasters of many teams while driving. There are some great announcers across the land, who's dulcet tones remind the listener of when the late John Facenda was canonized as "The Voice of God". Joe D.'s voice doesn't have that quality.
As an interviewer, either pregame, post game, during a "Coach's show" or even when he did "Sports Talk", he comes across as a schmoozer & never an investigative reporter. He never asks the hard question, just lobs softballs.
I may be in the minority, but I thinks it's time to cut rope with Joe D. & bring in new blood.

Reaction Score
If the school wants iHeart to hire Joe D, iHeart will probably hire Joe D. It is not solely an iHeart decision. IMG/UCONN/iHeart all have to agree.

Reaction Score
This is actually great news for the AD. And for those lamenting ESPN radio's signal only a small of fraction listen to radio on the radio these days. If the teams are good people will find the broadcasts on their phones, IPads, Dots etc... Does this mean I don't have to listen to the mumblings of Ken Sweitzer or the former Div 3 football legend?

Reaction Score
I agree. They should find the best three announcers that want the job and give it to the candidate that will do it at the lowest salary.

Reaction Score
I don't understand people's allegiance to Joe D. As stated by Waquoit in one of the threads (Which the mods should merge into one thread & post on all of the boards), Bob Heusler, who called the "Tate shot", was a MUCH better announcer, but 'TIC wanted Joe D.
Having been a Sirius-XM subscriber for over a dozen years, I've listened to the broadcasters of many teams while driving. There are some great announcers across the land, who's dulcet tones remind the listener of when the late John Facenda was canonized as "The Voice of God". Joe D.'s voice doesn't have that quality.
As an interviewer, either pregame, post game, during a "Coach's show" or even when he did "Sports Talk", he comes across as a schmoozer & never an investigative reporter. He never asks the hard question, just lobs softballs.
I may be in the minority, but I thinks it's time to cut rope with Joe D. & bring in new blood.
You forgot to add that before Huesler and Joe D..the voice of UConn football and basketball was Marty Glickman..with Wayne Norman as his color guy...

Reaction Score
If the school wants iHeart to hire Joe D, iHeart will probably hire Joe D. It is not solely an iHeart decision. IMG/UCONN/iHeart all have to agree.
I arrived at the hockey game early last night and as I was waiting for my wife while she used the ladies room I saw Joe D holding court with about 5-8 people by the elevator to go to the boxes. He was pretty loud so it was hard not to hear him and he was pretty emphatic that he was done broadcasting UConn sporting events after the seasons ended. He made no bones about the fact he was out.

Reaction Score
I arrived at the hockey game early last night and as I was waiting for my wife while she used the ladies room I saw Joe D holding court with about 5-8 people by the elevator to go to the boxes. He was pretty loud so it was hard not to hear him and he was pretty emphatic that he was done broadcasting UConn sporting events after the seasons ended. He made no bones about the fact he was out.

Wonder what soured between him and the school?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom