WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports? | The Boneyard

WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports?

Reaction Score
Devastating! One of the more powerful radio stations in NE.......wide range of coverage

Apparently it was a business decision by CBS.....which now owns WTIC......26 year relationship ends after BB season is over.!!!!

WTIC could not come to a monetary agreement with UConn for broadcast rights. CBS suggested UConn/DB was looking for same revenue as P5 schools for broadcast rights. That won't work for CBS.

That possibly points to a bigger problem for UConn as they look for alternatives. Its possible the number of vendors willing to buy advertising slots during the game has diminished, and/or they do not want to pay as much for advertising as they do for P5 teams. Could be a bit of both.

No more coaches programs either.

W-L records and empty stadiums/arenas just isn't worth the cost of advertisement per entity......."I guess"

Watch out if major commercial TV stations drop UConn for the same reason.

No comment from UConn.....yet,

As Dirty Harry would comment...... "wonderful"

Reaction Score
CBS sold it's radio properties and WTIC is now owned by Entercom.

According to reports, iHeart Media will be taking over the UCONN broadcasts, and putting them on 97.9 FM. Their antenna is on top of CityPlace in Hartford, but their Effective Radiated Power is only 3,400 watts and only covers greater central Connecticut. My guess is UCONN/IMG will try to put a network of stations together to provide somewhat statewide coverage of the UCONN broadcasts.

Reaction Score
It's all about the $$$$$$$...... Product on the field/court for 2 of the programs & conference affiliation did not equate to what UConn was asking in the eyes of the new ownership group for WTIC..........a bummer but probably not really a surprise....might even be a reality check.....

Reaction Score
Another domino in the conference realignment lottery disaster?

Even less revenue going forward?

Reaction Score
CBS sold it's radio properties and WTIC is now owned by Entercom.

According to reports, iHeart Media will be taking over the UCONN broadcasts, and putting them on 97.9 FM. Their antenna is on top of CityPlace in Hartford, but their Effective Radiated Power is only 3,400 watts and only covers greater central Connecticut. My guess is UCONN/IMG will try to put a network of stations together to provide somewhat statewide coverage of the UCONN broadcasts.

Only covers greater central CT? Wonder if it even reaches Storrs.

It’s sad. The death spiral continues.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t see this as a bad thing.

The broadcast had become a joke. Ken seems like a nice guy and all but having him on a professional broadcast was a complete joke.

Like Wayne and Joe but it’s gotten stale.

They will build a network and will the OTA coverage will be fine.

Sure they lost the 50k watt flamethrower (h/t Bob Joyce) but the broadcasts sucked - it needed to be revitalized.

Reaction Score
I think this is good news going forward, though, I don't know the financial particulars. More and more people are listening to the games on mobile devices so the reliance on radio is not as prevalent. An added bonus of not having to listen to Joe D's constant commentary and side-stories during the broadcast is worth it alone.

Reaction Score
Strange station, many places in CT where you cannot get it but it comes in clear as a bell driving across Eastern Ontario at night

Reaction Score
WTIC gets into southeastern Connecticut. Not the greatest signal at times, but for the most part it is listenable. 97.9 does not come in at all in Norwich where I live. They need to come up with a station in the area to carry the games.

Reaction Score
Ever since WTIC decided to go 9 straight hours of political talk the listenership has declined. Now they want to bail on UConn sports, let them put the final nails in their own coffin. People WATCH the Redsox and the NFL, even on their phones. UConn sports was the one thing TIC had on the competition so let them blow that edge. On the bright side hopefully no more smug Joe D, one of the most arrogant, annoying announcers I've ever heard. Good riddance. The only reason I listened to WTIC in the last year or so was for UConn sports so now I can clear that preset on my auto radio. Bob Steele was entertaining. The dribble that comes out of that station from 5:30am on is not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ever since WTIC decided to go 9 straight hours of political talk the listenership has declined. Now they want to bail on UConn sports, let them put the final nails in their own coffin. People WATCH the Redsox and the NFL, even on their phones. UConn sports was the one thing TIC had on the competition so let them blow that edge. On the bright side hopefully no more smug Joe D, one of the most arrogant, annoying announcers I've ever heard. Good riddance. The only reason I listened to WTIC in the last year or so was for UConn sports so now I can clear that preset on my auto radio. Bob Steele was entertaining. The dribble that comes out of that station from 5:30am on is not.

It’s got to be a huge relief. Which station is going to get that 6th AM pre-set?

WNTY went to oldies - so if you find yourself in Southington or near Lake Compounce that’s a good listen.

Quinnipiac radio at 1220 on your dial is solid. Entertains for the 15 minutes from the tunnel to the bridge.

If you’ve still got a hankering for college hoops some Sacred Heart games find their way to WSHU.

I enjoy religious radio but I find it boring in English. So between Derby and Naugatuck on Rt 8 I always make sure to listen to WADS 690 out of Ansonia for Spanish God talk.

WCUM is Bridgeport isn’t what you think. When deep in winter 1450AM brings the sounds of the Caribbean direct to your Ford Fiesta.

Lot of good choices for sure.

Reaction Score
It’s got to be a huge relief. Which station is going to get that 6th AM pre-set?

WNTY went to oldies - so if you find yourself in Southington or near Lake Compounce that’s a good listen.

Quinnipiac radio at 1220 on your dial is solid. Entertains for the 15 minutes from the tunnel to the bridge.

If you’ve still got a hankering for college hoops some Sacred Heart games find their way to WSHU.

I enjoy religious radio but I find it boring in English. So between Derby and Naugatuck on Rt 8 I always make sure to listen to WADS 690 out of Ansonia for Spanish God talk.

WCUM is Bridgeport isn’t what you think. When deep in winter 1450AM brings the sounds of the Caribbean direct to your Ford Fiesta.

Lot of good choices for sure.
When I'm between New Haven and NYC I listen to 600am for the traffic reports. From Greenwich and west 880am for once again the traffic. Up near Danbury I tune into 800am for yes, the traffic. Traveling down Rte 2 to I-395, once past Colchester I tune to 1310 and really that is a lot more entertaining than TIC. Heading up to Boston it's 1030am and again for traffic reports. Around Waterbury it's 1240. They give traffic but not quite as often and their politics is more local to the Naugatuck Valley

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When I'm between New Haven and NYC I listen to 600am for the traffic reports. From Greenwich and west 880am for once again the traffic. Up near Danbury I tune into 800am for yes, the traffic. Traveling down Rte 2 to I-395, once past Colchester I tune to 1310 and really that is a lot more entertaining than TIC. Heading up to Boston it's 1030am and again for traffic reports. Around Waterbury it's 1240. They give traffic but not quite as often and their politics is more local to the Naugatuck Valley

Pretty much the traffic is the same every day.

Reaction Score

While driving I'll flip on the occasional traffic report, but otherwise I listen to NPR for news or college radio stations for music.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Where's the heart emoji when you need it.

Reaction Score
While driving I'll flip on the occasional traffic report, but otherwise I listen to NPR for news or college radio stations for music.
I drive for a living so weather and traffic are vital. If I'm up near Hartford I like to tune into WWUH. Good jazz can be heard there. If I'm closer to Springfield I'll listen to WTCC(Believe those are the call letters). Once the brothers are done with their spin on life they play some decent jazz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom