WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports?

Reaction Score
There are more good sports podcasts and blogs than there is time to catch up on them.

I'd guess 750k-a million a year on the radio rights. UConn doesn't see any of that revenue though do they? Don't they bundle the radio rights in with everything else they sell to IMG?

So if the streaming remains on TuneIn and the rounding error financial bump goes to IMG... they moved from this terrestrial coverage

WTIC-AM Radio Station Coverage Map

To this:
WUCS-FM Radio Station Coverage Map

For what reason? They don't like anyone shining a spotlight on what they are doing in Storrs and there is no risk of that at WUCS.

Quite specifically that they are running a bloated, over-compensated graft in a dead-broke state.
Critics call UConn raises exorbitant

She gave David Benedict a 50k a year raise for what? To hide? The one time the guy opened his mouth he looked foolish - so maybe it's for the best - although I'm not sure why more cash should be shoveled at it.

Yes - the rights are sold to IMG - so I'm not sure if the $ pass through IMG to the school or not. Or if it is just bundled in the overall deal. I'm not even sure that the school is a legal party to the contract if that is the case.

To your other point - fans will figure out how to get the games. Non-fans who listen to WTIC already have exposure to the brand - if we haven't converted them to fans we never will. I suppose that some casual fans that are used to WTIC and don't really care will turn on WTIC and shrug when the game isn't on and give up. Not sure that it matters though - I assume those people don't ever buy tickets or anything anyway.

To the third point - this works in your favor - now WTIC has NO reason to be nice to UCONN - and can go after the school 24 hours a day on their 50,000 watt flamethrower. Let's see if that gets any traction.

No idea on why Benedict got a raise. But if keeps him here I don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe you want him fired - because you magically think we can get someone better? I wouldn't bet on it.

Reaction Score
... I'd guess 750k-a million a year on the radio rights. UConn doesn't see any of that revenue though do they? Don't they bundle the radio rights in with everything else they sell to IMG?

The future value would in theory be reflected in the total UConn/IMG contract (which was $8m +/- a year under current contract) which is up for renewal/being negotiated - no?

The radio rights would seem to run the same length as the new IMG contract (?10 years?).

Reaction Score
The future value would in theory be reflected in the total UConn/IMG contract (which was $8m +/- a year under current contract) which is up for renewal/being negotiated - no?

The radio rights would seem to run the same length as the new IMG contract (?10 years?).

So we wouldn't really know what the impact is until we see what the new IMG contract looks like. If it goes up/down from the 8M a year we can try and figure out why?

Reaction Score
So we wouldn't really know what the impact is until we see what the new IMG contract looks like. If it goes up/down from the 8M a year we can try and figure out why?

That would be my take...

I’m not convinced it’s going to be substantially higher than current value (10 years/$80m) based on the conference (P5 v. G5) and downward trend of bell cow programs not labeled UConn Women’s BB. They (UConn) could be just trying to close the perceived revenue gap between current contract and future contract in whatever segment they can.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes - the rights are sold to IMG - so I'm not sure if the $ pass through IMG to the school or not. Or if it is just bundled in the overall deal. I'm not even sure that the school is a legal party to the contract if that is the case.

To your other point - fans will figure out how to get the games. Non-fans who listen to WTIC already have exposure to the brand - if we haven't converted them to fans we never will. I suppose that some casual fans that are used to WTIC and don't really care will turn on WTIC and shrug when the game isn't on and give up. Not sure that it matters though - I assume those people don't ever buy tickets or anything anyway.

To the third point - this works in your favor - now WTIC has NO reason to be nice to UCONN - and can go after the school 24 hours a day on their 50,000 watt flamethrower. Let's see if that gets any traction.

No idea on why Benedict got a raise. But if keeps him here I don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe you want him fired - because you magically think we can get someone better? I wouldn't bet on it.

I didn’t know there was no ground between random raises and firing someone.

Based on the lawsuits in West Virginia the school is a party to the contract.

Reaction Score
I didn’t know there was no ground between random raises and firing someone.

Based on the lawsuits in West Virginia the school is a party to the contract.

I’m sure there was a reason. We just don’t know it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m sure there was a reason. We just don’t know it.

Yep just like everything else that happens as we swirl the bowl. Zero transparency and zero accountability.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There are more good sports podcasts and blogs than there is time to catch up on them.

I'd guess 750k-a million a year on the radio rights. UConn doesn't see any of that revenue though do they? Don't they bundle the radio rights in with everything else they sell to IMG?

So if the streaming remains on TuneIn and the rounding error financial bump goes to IMG... they moved from this terrestrial coverage

To this:
WUCS-FM Radio Station Coverage Map

For what reason? They don't like anyone shining a spotlight on what they are doing in Storrs and there is no risk of that at WUCS.

Quite specifically that they are running a bloated, over-compensated graft in a dead-broke state.
Critics call UConn raises exorbitant

She gave David Benedict a 50k a year raise for what? To hide? The one time the guy opened his mouth he looked foolish - so maybe it's for the best - although I'm not sure why more cash should be shoveled at it.

If they don't build out a better network than the current WTIC + Willimantic coat hanger + New Haven Coat hanger + Greenwich coat hanger , I'll be right behind you in line. My hope is that they're smart enough to change the station list a bunch, to compensate for the new flagship coat hanger.

WTIC was frustrating - the people pining for them keep citing a "50,000 watt flamethrowe," but especially at night, it's more like a zippo. If it were all that great, we wouldn't need a New Haven affiliate at all.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
WTIC used to be a local station with local shows that included UC0nn sports (MBB) and Whalers Hockey. WBB and FB were added later.

If the university decided it no longer wants to be associated with an AM terrestrial radio station that for some time has increasingly become an outlet for nationally syndicated hard right commentary shows and a few local copycats, that is not only their right but a smart business decision. Especially if they are refusing to add additional university programming that would be beneficial to the University at a discounted rights fee to what they could get elsewhere.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
WTIC used to be a local station with local shows that included UC0nn sports (MBB) and Whalers Hockey. WBB and FB were added later.

If the university decided it no longer wants to be associated with an AM terrestrial radio station that for some time has increasingly become an outlet for nationally syndicated hard right commentary shows and a few local copycats, that is not only their right but a smart business decision. Especially if they are refusing to add additional university programming that would be beneficial to the University at a discounted rights fee to what they could get elsewhere.
That stupid hourly sound queue always annoyed me on TIC. Da-da-da-duhhhhhh. That was relevant before there were clocks in cars. Do they still have traffic every ten minutes? Between traffic, weather, the hourly alert and breaking news they will likely not miss a beat. The content sells itself.

Reaction Score
Funniest part about WTIC's coverage this year is when promoting a coming game they play clip with Joe D saying "Adams drives tot he hole and scores, UConn now has cut the lead to 7." That's just priceless!

Reaction Score
Yes Dibble is the only local show at this point. I tend to listen mostly mornings and evenings so I don’t catch Dibble much but I like his show.

I’m also not like everyone else in the Boneyard that seems to find reasons to hate everyone.

How did you get in here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom