WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WTIC no longer to broadcast UConn sports?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
An editorial in yesterday's Republican American disputes this. It also explains a lot about how that school is run these days.

UConn versus WTIC-AM: Impartiality in the airwaves?
February 20, 2018 - Editorials - 3 comments

The University of Connecticut claims to be an impartial institution. “Through freedom of academic inquiry and expression, we create and disseminate knowledge by means of scholarly and creative achievements, graduate and professional education, and outreach,” reads UConn’s mission statement. Unfortunately, there is reason to believe UConn is on a mission to silence conseratives. That may eventually hurt the university’s academic reputation.

Feb. 16 witnessed the news that the 26-year-old relationship between UConn and Hartford-based WTIC-AM will end with the close of the 2017-18 athletic year. Beginning next year, WUCS-FM, an affiliate of ESPN, will broadcast the games of UConn’s football, basketball and hockey teams. The university’s relationship with WTIC ended for a number of reasons, but Phil Zachary, senior vice president and market manager for WTIC’s parent company Entercom Radio, has highlighted a troubling one.

“The school felt the conservative programming that WTIC airs is at odds with the best interest of the university,” Mr. Zachary told the (Manchester) Journal Inquirer.

It is reasonable to conclude from Mr. Zachary’s comments that Connecticut’s flagship university is targeting conservative speech. That is all the more plausible when one considers that in late November, UConn police essentially allowed the disruption of an on-campus presentation (or more accurately, attempted presentation) by conservative writer Lucian Wintrich.

A university or college that truly values academic freedom doesn’t take sides in political debates. With its actions, UConn is looking like a cheerleader for liberalism. That is no way to encourage the critical-thinking skills the United States and Connecticut sorely need. Additionally, the fiscal year 2017-18 budget for UConn’s main campus in Storrs and four regional campuses (one of which is in Waterbury) is $1.3 billion, and a quarter of this figure is covered by taxpayers, according to a December article in the university publication UConn Today. Not all Connecticut taxpayers are liberal, and the university’s political maneuvering is disrespectful to non-liberal Constitution State residents.

UConn has done well on surveys of American universities’ academic excellence. For example, according to U.S. News & World Report, it is tied for 18th place among public universities and is tied for 56th place overall. However, if UConn keeps playing political games, its standing may slip.

University President Susan Herbst and the board of trustees – Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is ex officio board president – are obligated to explain why UConn is willing to silence the conservative message. No one is well-served by the status quo.

Media format in death spiral defends other media format in death spiral, film at 11.

This could all very easily be a crock, too.

UConn: "We would like some more coaches show's, etc, as part of the new contract"
WTIC: "Nope, we have a full programming schedule that we feel would get better ratings"
UConn: "Really? We couldn't beat Clark Howard or that Rush crap?"
WTIC: “The school felt the conservative programming that WTIC airs is at odds with the best interest of the university”

Reaction Score
It is pretty clear if you listen to the clip I posted that Herbst was at odds with the hosts of the show (and probably station management). People extrapolating that to think she didn't want UCONN sports on a network that airs Rush, etc is a stretch.

Reaction Score
Politics aside, I don't want us to be stuck on AM any longer. It can't be over emphasized how people under 40, no matter how powerful the AM broadcast maybe, will never find your UConn sports because they never touch the AM band. Put us on FM and then people bouncing around terrestrial radio just might find us...and find us in stereo. We have a much better chance of finding a bigger audience on the FM dial even if the footprint is smaller.

Really?

Reaction Score
Media format in death spiral defends other media format in death spiral, film at 11.

This could all very easily be a crock, too.

UConn: "We would like some more coaches show's, etc, as part of the new contract"
WTIC: "Nope, we have a full programming schedule that we feel would get better ratings"
UConn: "Really? We couldn't beat Clark Howard or that Rush crap?"
WTIC: “The school felt the conservative programming that WTIC airs is at odds with the best interest of the university”

Don't insult Conservatives by calling Clark Howard one BTW, - what he does is nonsense. It's basically teaches people who have no financial sense of their own what to do with their money.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really?
Stone cold serious. All kinds of sports fans in my office - but none of them bother with AM radio. The move of WFAN to FM in the NYC area has been great, no more tin can mono sound. A spot on the FM dial gives you a much better chance of finding a bigger radio audience. The AM dial with mono sound will be near obsolete in 10 years - a novelty toy. No one goes to AM for news, traffic or anything really anymore. All the services AM used to provide are now on my phone with much faster and current information. AM is done. Even talk radio has migrated in most markets to FM.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm pretty much a right wing guy - so WTIC's talk format didn't bother me. What did bother me was listen to mono sound on a 50k broadcast that didn't really reach 900k people in FF County.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much a right wing guy - so WTIC's talk format didn't bother me. What did bother me was listen to mono sound on a 50k broadcast that didn't really reach 900k people in FF County.

97.9 is a way worse listen/signal where I travel, work, and live in New Haven and Litchfield county.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Don't insult Conservatives by calling Clark Howard one BTW, - what he does is nonsense. It's basically teaches people who have no financial sense of their own what to do with their money.

My point confirmed. Using "conservative" or "liberal" will spark outrage either way. It doesn't matter, regardless - the key emotion here is butthurt on the WTIC end, and the Waterbury rag took their line and ran with it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
97.9 is a way worse listen/signal where I travel, work, and live in New Haven and Litchfield county.

...and they've already stated they're going to build out a better network to compensate.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You can stream the station on the iHeartRadio app (which I do most of the time), but the games will still be on Tune In because IMG has an overall streaming deal with Tune In for all of their properties.

That sounds easy. Not.
It’s on iheart or tune in? Some 3 watt ESPN FM station or 2 watt AM? How are they gonna get this straight at the nursing homes for WBB?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you have an AUX port in your car, you can connect your phone with a simple male/male 3.5MM audio cord and stream away. If you don't want the hassle of continually connecting/disconnecting your phone, bluetooth adaptors and/or FM signal modulators are available for like $20 on Amazon.

The fact of the matter is that people have to basically kick and scream to STAY in the 20th century, when new technology is there virtually for the mere taking.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Politics aside, I don't want us to be stuck on AM any longer. It can't be over emphasized how people under 40, no matter how powerful the AM broadcast maybe, will never find your UConn sports because they never touch the AM band. Put us on FM and then people bouncing around terrestrial radio just might find us...and find us in stereo. We have a much better chance of finding a bigger audience on the FM dial even if the footprint is smaller.
I'm not sure how many people under 40 even listen to FM radio. I can't remember the last time I turned on the radio. Usually I listen to my iPod through my car or stream Pandora or something similar through my Phone.

I think the argument about staying on AM because it reaches more people is just silly now a days.

Reaction Score
That sounds easy. Not.
It’s on iheart or tune in? Some 3 watt ESPN FM station or 2 watt AM? How are they gonna get this straight at the nursing homes for WBB?

The station can be streamed on iHeartRadio at any time.

The games can be streamed on Tune In - no different than today.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Joe D. Putz.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't know what iheart will bring me but I could never pick up WTIC in the Danbury/Ridgefield area on a consistent basis. Only caught a good signal on game days once we got out of the exit 15-16 valley on 84 and up to Waterbury.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The station can be streamed on iHeartRadio at any time.

The games can be streamed on Tune In - no different than today.

Is it just ESPN national programming with Dibble the only local show?

Do you listen to Dibble? That has to be terrible right?

Reaction Score

I would switch from the national programming on satellite to local FM with Dibble. I found myself staying more with Dibble. His show isn't perfect but he is way better than Bomani on the national broadcast. Plus I think him and his sidekick, Darnell would be more likely to talk up UConn sports and the great game day experience at the Rent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would switch from the national programming on satellite to local FM with Dibble. I found myself staying more with Dibble. His show isn't perfect but he is way better than Bomani on the national broadcast. Plus I think him and his sidekick, Darnell would be more likely to talk up UConn sports and the great game day experience at the Rent.

Well the national ESPN shows are completely unlistenable. I guess knowing what I know about Rob Dibble how could it not be awful too.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Yes, everything else is national. Dibble is 3-7.

And yes, Dibble is brutal.

Reaction Score

Yes Dibble is the only local show at this point. I tend to listen mostly mornings and evenings so I don’t catch Dibble much but I like his show.

I’m also not like everyone else in the Boneyard that seems to find reasons to hate everyone.

Reaction Score
Well the national ESPN shows are completely unlistenable. I guess knowing what I know about Rob Dibble how could it not be awful too.

All sports media is unlistenable. All of our sports teams are unwatchable. Maybe you need to find a new hobby :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All sports media is unlistenable. All of our sports teams are unwatchable. Maybe you need to find a new hobby :)

There is plenty of good sports media. There is just no overlap with the garbage that ESPN radio pumps out.

I tried to listen to Mike and Mike once many years ago. They spent a half hour on the Jets were like 8-0 over a couple of seasons when Curtis Martin ran for 100 yards so they came to the conclusion they should just come out and give Martin the ball to get him to 100 yards. That was all I needed to hear from them.

Certainly whatUConn needs is to finish chasing off the few remaining fans. Nobody should notice the 8 20+ point losses or the football team that gets carpetbombed every week for 5 years.

There are a hundred seats at Gampel today for $6. Congrats full freight season ticket holders UConn is only selling them at an 80% discount off what you paid. (before anyone attempts to claim it isn’t UConn look at what’s available - sure they are hiding behind a third party but it’s them). Clearly these people are excellent at what they do and aren’t open to criticism.

How come UConn hasn’t published the competing radio offers from Entercom and iheart? They could instantly eliminate all criticism by showing us the financial decision they made.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is plenty of good sports media. There is just no overlap with the garbage that ESPN radio pumps out.

How come UConn hasn’t published the competing radio offers from Entercom and iheart? They could instantly eliminate all criticism by showing us the financial decision they made.

Love to hear what you think is good sports media. I'm sure if you list a few people you like, everyone else here will hate them. It is more an overall commentary - everyone here hates just about everyone.

To the second point - it is a radio rights deal. Whatever differential there was in $ has to be a rounding error. What would be your best guess as to the annual value?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Love to hear what you think is good sports media. I'm sure if you list a few people you like, everyone else here will hate them. It is more an overall commentary - everyone here hates just about everyone.

To the second point - it is a radio rights deal. Whatever differential there was in $ has to be a rounding error. What would be your best guess as to the annual value?

There are more good sports podcasts and blogs than there is time to catch up on them.

I'd guess 750k-a million a year on the radio rights. UConn doesn't see any of that revenue though do they? Don't they bundle the radio rights in with everything else they sell to IMG?

So if the streaming remains on TuneIn and the rounding error financial bump goes to IMG... they moved from this terrestrial coverage

WTIC-AM Radio Station Coverage Map
WTIC-AM Radio Station Coverage Map

To this:
WUCS-FM Radio Station Coverage Map

For what reason? They don't like anyone shining a spotlight on what they are doing in Storrs and there is no risk of that at WUCS.

Quite specifically that they are running a bloated, over-compensated graft in a dead-broke state.
Critics call UConn raises exorbitant

She gave David Benedict a 50k a year raise for what? To hide? The one time the guy opened his mouth he looked foolish - so maybe it's for the best - although I'm not sure why more cash should be shoveled at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom