OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 38 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
Yes. It was more a criticism of Spain for continually trying to do something wherevRussia had the advantage. Russia would have a harder time stopping that against many other clubs.
Understood and readily acknowledged, a ping ponged bounce here, rebound there off a cross may have helped the Spaniards. Long gone now, but a possible lesson for the generally taller Danes and Croats who will likely face another russkie wall.

Reaction Score
Denmark's not really doing much, but they've had possession what seems like the entire 2nd half.

Neither team looking dangerous at all.

Reaction Score
What a blown chance for Denmark right there. First touch should've taken a shot.

Reaction Score
Danmark's Thomas Joseph Delaney. In Euro 2016, Delaney's surname caught my attention, e.g., Why wasn't he playing for Ireland? Turns out, ole Tommy and his father were each born in Danmark. And, Delaney actually has closer family ties to the US than Ireland and could have elected to play for the US via a grandfather who emigrated to the States.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Denmark's not really doing much, but they've had possession what seems like the entire 2nd half.

Neither team looking dangerous at all.

Denmark pretty much shuts down whatever Croatia wants to do. And then takes possession. Not dangerous, but they are playing well.

Reaction Score
711 passes to 162 lol
And how many of those 711 passes were in the middle 3rd or backwards or otherwise meaningless? Looking at meaningful and forward passes I think would be much closer...

Reaction Score
2022 World Cup is in Qatar - because of the climate it's scheduled from Nov 21 to Dec 18. I like watching this tourney in the summer, but that's gonna be a tough sell for American viewers during the stretch run of college & NFL football season.

Reaction Score
And how many of those 711 passes were in the middle 3rd or backwards or otherwise meaningless? Looking at meaningful and forward passes I think would be much closer...

yup and after scoring first, spain essentially killed the next 15 minutes with meaningless possession, when they should have pressed for that second goal and the nail in the coffin

Reaction Score
2022 World Cup is in Qatar - because of the climate it's scheduled from Nov 21 to Dec 18. I like watching this tourney in the summer, but that's gonna be a tough sell for American viewers during the stretch run of college & NFL football season.
I wish the major sponsors would pull their support from FIFA for 2022. Spineless on all sides.

Reaction Score
French commentator: "Both teams played more like they were afraid to take a risk than they wanted to score". And, that was before even going into extra time!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Unlike the first game, these two teams just seem very evenly matched to me. Hope it doesn’t go to PKs.

Reaction Score
I wish the major sponsors would pull their support from FIFA for 2022. Spineless on all sides.
Big world, global sponsorship contracts. Setting aside many late afternoon to evening games Qatar time won't directly compete with U.S. gridiron games, has there been any indication global brands bid lower or haven't stepped up to sponsor games? Few if any European and other soccer supporters like the Nov-Dec schedule, but Qatar's labor laws, treatment of immigrant labor, and related concerns are the primary issue I read some western global sponsors subsequently expressed more recently to FIFA.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not at all in the first half and they still looked to be in quick sand.

I didn't think they looked tired in the first half, just not intense. Not sure why.

The big surprise to me is how Denmark hasn't had a huge problem with the Modric/Rakitic midfield. Modric showing some life lately though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One of the best balls of the tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom