WNBA Rookie of the year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Rookie of the year

WNBA Rookie of the Year

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They both went to ideal situations where they could get starter minutes as rookies.

Dallas isn’t exactly playing team ball now. They really have nothing more to lose by showcasing Ogunbowale and letting her bring some sort of prize to the club.... something for the fans to feel good about.

As of late it is working well for them, they've won 3 straight and 4 of their last 6. They're now pushing for 9th place in the league with Indiana. Arike last night didn't shoot well but had 21 points, 5 assists and just 1 TO.

If they can land the #2 pick and get Cox, their lineup next year has a core of Diggins, Ogunbowale and Cox, plus Jefferson if healthy. Not a title contender yet but they'll be potent.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Brianna Turner the last 5 games has averaged 7.8 points and 9.6 rebounds on 47.2% FG. Her best work has been defensively in the games I've seen. One more year and she could be a very good PF in this league.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Brianna Turner the last 5 games has averaged 7.8 points and 9.6 rebounds on 47.2% FG. Her best work has been defensively in the games I've seen. One more year and she could be a very good PF in this league.

Nice to see after all her injuries. Great character kid as well.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Turner has always been more stellar on the defensive end. After barely seeing the court for the first one-third of the season, she's now firmly entrenched in the starting lineup and getting a ton of minutes. I'm glad for her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Turner has always been more stellar on the defensive end. After barely seeing the court for the first one-third of the season, she's now firmly entrenched in the starting lineup and getting a ton of minutes. I'm glad for her.

Me too. Makes me all the more excited to see Cox in the W next year considering she controlled the interior play going up against Turner/Shepard in the title game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Turner's problem until recently has been getting off the bench. I agree she has tremendous upside as displayed over the weekend.

In Turner's case, it's next man up. Phoenix is so riddled with injuries, they're down to her spot on the bench. Yes, lately she has played a lot of minutes out of necessity. These minutes will serve her well next year. You can't grow and develop sitting on the bench. I'm very happy to see her play. I've been a Turner fan from day one at ND. You learn by DOING, not by watching. ;)

Reaction Score
A0 has another 20 point performance in the Wings loss today. Tierra McCowan had a double-double in 19 minutes of play and increasingly appears comfortable on the court and in her role. As I said earlier I see rookie of the year as a three player race that's increasingly becoming tight.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
A0 has another 20 point performance in the Wings loss today. Tierra McCowan had a double-double in 19 minutes of play and increasingly appears comfortable on the court and in her role. As I said earlier I see rookie of the year as a three player race that's increasingly becoming tight.

Collier played very well today too. Big T is doing a good job but I think it is between Arike/Collier at this point.

Reaction Score
Collier played very well today too. Big T is doing a good job but I think it is between Arike/Collier at this point.
I would agree. I'm trying to think the last time the WNBA had three such strong rookies in the same season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Collier played very well today too.

She was great in the 1st half and disappeared in the 2nd half (but so did everyone else other than Sims, including Fowles).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She was great in the 1st half and disappeared in the 2nd half (but so did everyone else other than Sims, including Fowles).

She didn't disappear. She needs guards to get her the ball. Napheesa continued to set screens and cut and do what she does. Minny's guards either shoot or turn it over. Sims was asleep in the first half and decided to make up for it in the 2nd half by taking over. That's fine for her personal stats but that's not winning basketball.

Reaction Score
She didn't disappear. She needs guards to get her the ball. Napheesa continued to set screens and cut and do what she does. Minny's guards either shoot or turn it over. Sims was asleep in the first half and decided to make up for it in the 2nd half by taking over. That's fine for her personal stats but that's not winning basketball.
Sims was 11-14, when a player is scoring 30 points shooting nearly 80% from the field, that is typically considered winning basketball. She had the same amount of FGA as Napheesa, but was more efficient.

Also, most of Napheesa’s FGs were assisted by guards, it appeared they did a solid job of getting her the ball. She tied Sims for most FGA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sims was 11-14, when a player is scoring 30 points shooting nearly 80% from the field, that is typically considered winning basketball. She had the same amount of FGA as Napheesa, but was more efficient.

Also, most of Napheesa’s FGs were assisted by guards, it appeared they did a solid job of getting her the ball.

Most of Pheesa's FGs are assisted by guards. Nothing new there. But they didn't get her the ball in the second half.

Sims shot 80% and Minnesota didn't win the game. So, not exactly winning basketball. It would have helped had Sims been awake in the 1st half so her team would not have been in a hole. The team that won the game is the team that shared the ball and kept everybody involved, moving and contributing. One player dominating the ball (while others get to stand around and watch) is not the winning edge.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Howard's foul trouble hurt her offense today but still Napheesa did a good job when defending her.

If the voters pay any serious attention to things like defense, and really anything other than total points scored, Napheesa is the clear choice.

Holly Rowe is probably in the minority, I'm sad to say.

Reaction Score
I agree, and I sure as heck would have McCowan ahead of Ogunbowale.
I have not seen a lot of WNBA games but I have seen all three of these women and it pains me to say but Ogunbowale has impressed me and I voted for her. Hope my MSST buds do not disown me!

Reaction Score
If the voters pay any serious attention to things like defense, and really anything other than total points scored, Napheesa is the clear choice.

Holly Rowe is probably in the minority, I'm sad to say.

They should also pay attention to the defense you face. I guarantee you when teams face Dallas they're planning on how to stop Arike. Collier isn't the main focus of any teams defensive efforts against the Lynx.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They should also pay attention to the defense you face. I guarantee you when teams face Dallas they're planning on how to stop Arike. Collier isn't the main focus of any teams defensive efforts against the Lynx.
Or maybe they just let the 35% shooter take her shots while focusing on stopping everyone else.

Reaction Score
McCowan's performance last night confirmed that has the season winds down it's a 3 player race. I think the diversity of views of McCowan's performance this year are shared by those who look at AO. Pheesa has been remarkably consistent. All three are playing on teams that are sub 500 at this point. Still thinking this will be a very close race.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If the twitter chatter from the wnba blogosphere is any indication (and I think it is), it's a two-person race.

There is no chance McCowan wins. I'm not saying that's right or fair. I'm just saying that all the chatter is about whether it should be Arike or Collier.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If the twitter chatter from the wnba blogosphere is any indication (and I think it is), it's a two-person race.

There is no chance McCowan wins. I'm not saying that's right or fair. I'm just saying that all the chatter is about whether it should be Arike or Collier.

I agree. McCowan has been a force off the bench but isnt going to overtake either of AO or Collier. In terms of long term potential she could easily be the best one though.

I go back and forth between Collier and Arike since both are playing really well at the moment. Leaning toward Collier right now but it's a toss up IMO.

Reaction Score
Even though McCowan was surprisingly good in her starts when Achonwa was out with an injury, Pokey has been holding her back. She only averages 20 mpg. Last night was one of the few games where she wasn’t held back. McCowan had ROY potential had she been given 30 mpg like the other top candidates.

Reaction Score
If points/gm drives the ROY, McCowan does not stand a chance. It's a two player race to the finish line. As of 08/20/2019 Durr is 3rd in pts/gm [9.7], while McCowan is 4th [8.2]

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree. McCowan has been a force off the bench but isnt going to overtake either of AO or Collier. In terms of long term potential she could easily be the best one though.

I go back and forth between Collier and Arike since both are playing really well at the moment. Leaning toward Collier right now but it's a toss up IMO.
I ride for Napheesa every day of the week, but if the voting were today it would be Arike's and the margin wouldn't even be close, probably 80-20 or 90-10. Media mouth-breathers love scoring and they especially love single-game scoring sprees, and that's what Arike's given them. Things like efficiency, consistency and team play are beyond them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom