WNBA Rookie of the year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Rookie of the year

WNBA Rookie of the Year

• Total voters
Reaction Score
McCowan has surprised me. I was worried about her speed and limited offensive skill set, but she's held her own in the minutes she's played.

Reaction Score
McCowan has surprised me. I was worried about her speed and limited offensive skill set, but she's held her own in the minutes she's played.
I’ve never understood the arguments regarding a limited offensive skill set. I’ll admit she doesn’t have anywhere near guard skills but her shot extends beyond layups. She has developed range as evidenced by her free throw percentage her senior year. However her strength and ability to gain position to receive the ball down low is by far her greatest strength. I thought she would have difficulty against some of the bigger players in the WNBA but she is still holding her own. Therefore the low post positioning and layup is still her best weapon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’ve never understood the arguments regarding a limited offensive skill set. I’ll admit she doesn’t have anywhere near guard skills but her shot extends beyond layups. She has developed range as evidenced by her free throw percentage her senior year. However her strength and ability to gain position to receive the ball down low is by far her greatest strength. I thought she would have difficulty against some of the bigger players in the WNBA but she is still holding her own. Therefore the low post positioning and layup is still her best weapon.

Fewer posts utilize a lot of back to the basket post moves so I think being able to position herself well, catch an entry pass and score is mostly what she'll need to be effective as a scorer. Passing out of double teams will improve as well as her midrange shot. Big T finishes well around the rim and has magnets for hands. I dont think there is another player in the league that has her combination of incredible hands along with her sheer size and strength. Defensively she has been exposed by quick bigs with perimeter shots but overall she has done quite well and holds up well during pace of play. I think the Liberty missed out on her big time, especially since Charles hasnt been battling as hard in the post this year.

Side rant--I've never understood the argument that she "drags" up the court or struggles to keep up with pace of play. She isnt fast but she is always back defensively and almost never looked winded during collegiate games when she was out there for a full 40 minutes. She isnt going to make her way up the court as effortlessly as players like the Ogwumikes, Turner and Wilson but she holds up.

Reaction Score
Arike with 22 pts, 5 assists tonight on 7-12 shooting in a 23-point Dallas win.
In this game the Wings dominated the Liberty. In addition to Arike's strong performance Megan Gustafson continued her fine play. Since re-signing with Dallas she's done a wonderful job. Certainly makes one wonder what the Wings were thinking when they initially cut her.

The Wings were +23 with Gustafson on the court. Her 8 boards were game high and she scored 11 points.

The Liberty continue an up and down season as both Charles and Nurse seasaw from great to awful shooting.

Reaction Score
The Liberty had a bad performance last night. They still don't have a consistent shooter that can get a basket when you need it. I'm sorry, Tina isn't doing it this year.
It was disappointing to not see a rhythm between Zahui B and Charles. Tina should give Amanda the opportunity to get a double double every night. A couple of years ago I thought the Liberty were on the right track with the Tina Kiah combo.
I'll continue to root for the Libs. I'll be watching the girl from France as well as Rebecca Allen.

Reaction Score
With slightly over a month left in the season it appears this is a two-player race. Wondering if this might be the closest in WNBA history.

Rookie of the Year Award is an annual Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) award given since the 1998 WNBA season, to the top rookie of the regular season. The winner is selected by a panel of sportswriters throughout the United States, each of whom casts a vote for first, second and third place selections. Each first-place vote is worth five points; each second-place vote is worth three points; and each third-place vote is worth one point. The player(s) with the highest point total, regardless of the number of first-place votes, wins the award.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With slightly over a month left in the season it appears this is a two-player race. Wondering if this might be the closest in WNBA history.

Rookie of the Year Award is an annual Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) award given since the 1998 WNBA season, to the top rookie of the regular season. The winner is selected by a panel of sportswriters throughout the United States, each of whom casts a vote for first, second and third place selections. Each first-place vote is worth five points; each second-place vote is worth three points; and each third-place vote is worth one point. The player(s) with the highest point total, regardless of the number of first-place votes, wins the award.

McCowan should be in strong consideration too if she continues to play well.

Another player not in consideration but playing very well is Brianna Turner. Many people (myself included) thought shed be better than A'ja Wilson after their freshman season. Turner has had injury after injury which has held her back but if she can stay healthy I think she could be a very good PF in this league.

Reaction Score
bballnut90 writes

" ROY is still up in the air between Collier, Arike and McCowan."

I would agree and suspect that will be the final order of voting in what is shaping up as a very close vote.

Collier starts for a playoff team, Arike is a top 10 scorer and McCowen has moved into the starting lineup and is currently fourth in the league in rebounding and tied for 7th in blocks.

Reaction Score
A thread ROY on the UCONN portion of the board asserts Collier will win. My reading of that thread is that there is a convincing argument made that Collier is Lynx MVP. At this point, given the structure of ROY tabulation, the race may still be too close to call.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ESPN's latest article by Mechelle Voepel touts Arike as the ROY.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She had a nice game statistically tonight (other than the turnovers), but Canada got in her head and outplayed her head to head.

Reaction Score
Get a recap of the Dallas Wings vs. Phoenix Mercury basketball game. Dallas vs. Phoenix - Game Recap - August 10, 2019 - ESPN
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Last night Arike scored eight points in the final 5 minutes to lead Dallas to their first road win of the over the Mercury. After the ejection of her teammates including Kristine Anigwe and the Mercury's Brittney Griner Arike lead a come-from-behind victory.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Get a recap of the Dallas Wings vs. Phoenix Mercury basketball game. Dallas vs. Phoenix - Game Recap - August 10, 2019 - ESPN
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Last night Arike scored eight points in the final 5 minutes to lead Dallas to their first road win of the over the Mercury. After the ejection of her teammates including Kristine Anigwe and the Mercury's Brittney Griner Arike lead a come-from-behind victory.

Arike basically had to take every shot and made some but missed a lot as well but to her credit got to the line where she missed some big FT's in the final 5' . Did not help that January was 'out' (best perimeter defender) and Mercury missed some easy ones at the end.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Side rant--I've never understood the argument that she "drags" up the court or struggles to keep up with pace of play. She isnt fast but she is always back defensively and almost never looked winded during collegiate games when she was out there for a full 40 minutes. She isnt going to make her way up the court as effortlessly as players like the Ogwumikes, Turner and Wilson but she holds up.

I've posted much the same before. She occasionally jogs up the court on offense, but she's a Vic Schaefer product -- she ALWAYS gets back on defense, sometimes coming out of nowhere to get a hand on the ball when the opponent has an apparently open fast break.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm wondering at this stage of the season about rookie of the year...of the top three rookies my heart is with Pheesa but my eye leans toward McCowen

Michele Voepel's take on the ROY race -
Dallas Wings' Arike Ogunbowale is top candidate for WNBA Rookie of the Year

Ogunbowale, the No. 5 draft selection in April, is one of the top WNBA Rookie of the Year candidates, a group that also includes the Minnesota Lynx's Napheesa Collier (11.8 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 2.3 APG, 78ft%), who was the No. 6 pick.

Ogunbowale is averaging* 15.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists as of 8/12/19. But the concerning number that critics point to is her shooting percentage: 35.7, or 124 of 347, and 31.3% beyond the arc. She's taken 119 more shots than Collier, but only has 21 more baskets. She has 63 assists to Collier's 58.

Collier is averaging* 11.7 PPG - 6.5 RPG - 2.4 APG - 45.2 FG% - 82.1 FT%.
Collier has 158 rebounds to her 54 - 21 turnovers to her 41, and is only slightly better from behind the arc at 33.3%.

Because of her scoring average, I can see how some might give her a passing thought for ROY. Collier's over all numbers are better. If all you look at is their scoring average, (and you shouldn't), then I can see where one may be persuaded to seriously consider Ogunbowale for ROY. Scoring averages don't tell the whole story, especially in THIS case, plus the Wings WILL NOT make the playoffs. The Wings are 2-8 in their last 10 games. Minnesota is not much better at 4-6.

Any ROY discussion had better include Teaira McCowan. Regardless of the number of candidates, Collier gets my vote (yes, I'm biased). But as another poster said, they'll probably give it Arike. SMH. :oops:

*Stats updated through 8/12/19

[Story]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One comment, how can a guard play for 39 minutes and have zero assists?

Reaction Score
Last night AO had 5 assists in 39 minutes in addition to 21 points in a Wings win.

Pheesa had a another strong performance in a Lynx loss.

With 3 weeks left in the season ROY race is a barnburner.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last night AO had 5 assists in 39 minutes in addition to 21 points in a Wings win.

Pheesa had a another strong performance in a Lynx loss.

With 3 weeks left in the season ROY race is a barnburner.

AO's shooting was less than stellar but she attracted so much attention, she freed up others who this time pulled out the win.

Pheesa had a weird game. A pretty non-descript first half ( maybe attributed to alot of energy expended to limit EDD) Then she had a great 3Q with 9 pts / 6 RB. with almost all of the damage in the post. She needs to continue getting touches down low.

Reaction Score
Arike is averaging 23 ppg her past 7 games. Surging. So whether she or Pheesa win, let's acknowledge that Ogunbowale is an excellent player, even if she went to ND.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arike is averaging 23 ppg her past 7 games. Surging. So whether she or Pheesa win, let's acknowledge that Ogunbowale is an excellent player, even if she went to ND.
I don't think anyone is disputing she's an excellent player. It's her proven lack of character that's more the problem.

Reaction Score

They both went to ideal situations where they could get starter minutes as rookies.

Dallas isn’t exactly playing team ball now. They really have nothing more to lose by showcasing Ogunbowale and letting her bring some sort of prize to the club.... something for the fans to feel good about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom