WNBA Rookie of the year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA Rookie of the year

WNBA Rookie of the Year

• Total voters
Reaction Score
If the twitter chatter from the wnba blogosphere is any indication (and I think it is), it's a two-person race.

There is no chance McCowan wins. I'm not saying that's right or fair. I'm just saying that all the chatter is about whether it should be Arike or Collier.
Matt Ellentuck of SN agrees with your reading of the chatter.

There’s still three weeks left for things to change, but this year’s Rookie of the Year vote appears to be clear-cut. A vote for Collier is a vote for the better player. A vote for Ogunbowale is a vote for the flashier one. The 2019 WNBA ROY debate is the apex of hoops fan arguments.

Rachel Galligan ends her analysis of ROY

As the debate continues, we should know by now this will come down to the wire. These are two phenomenal players who are changing the WNBA with presence alone. If you're a fan of one, no need to bash and hate the other. Let's agree that what they're doing is impressive and enjoy the ride these final few weeks.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I suggest they jump for it. ;)

After the knee to the groin, Arike wins the jump. :p

I'm watching last night's Minn-LA game, and the LA broadcasters have a LOT of good things to say about Collier. They've been lauding her defense all night.

Reaction Score
I watched the first half of that game and I was tuned in to Collier's defense. When she was on Gray, Chelsea was held in check. When she had Parker, Candace was held in check. These two players are the keys to LAS.

Reaction Score
AO was really the sole bright spot for the Wings last night. She continued her Strong finish to her rookie season. As I posted on the Wings Lynx thread great to see two rookies performing at such a high level. McCowen on the other hand had a challenging game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
AO was really the sole bright spot for the Wings last night. She continued her Strong finish to her rookie season. As I posted on the Wings Lynx thread great to see two rookies performing at such a high level. McCowen on the other hand had a challenging game.

I think Allisha Gray had a good (better than AO ?) game and to a lesser extent perhaps Davis and Anigwe. Not sure why Davis is not starting. I know she is not consistent but her upside is better than Thornton / Johnson

Reaction Score
Of the three outstanding rookie performances today Tiera McCowan's may have been most impressive her double double led the game in both scoring and rebounding and this was her season-high in minutes played.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It says something for all 3 leading rookies that they are playing well down the stretch. They haven't hit a wall, they aren't being rendered less effective as other teams have scouted them multiple times.

Reaction Score
McCowan has another double double and leads the Fever in a total domination of a disinterested Aces.

Reaction Score
Over the last two weeks Collier and McCowan both averaging 17 pts a game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Posted this on other board, but fits better here:

WNBA.com helpfully breaks down their stats pre and post all star break! Given that they all play different positions (guard/forward/center) where you expect more rebounds for the posts, more assists for the guards, etc., it's pretty much a 3-way tie IMO post all star break, but Collier clearly has advantage across entire year.

PPGFG%3-pt %FT %RPGAPGBPGSPG
Pre All Star: McCowan7.050%N/A67%8.00.11.40.6
Pre All Star: Collier11.244.6%32%80%6.22.31.01.9
Pre All Star: Arike14.233.6%28.3%81.8%2.72.40.10.9
Post All Star: McCowan15.152.9%N/A72.8%10.30.61.10.6
Post All Star: Collier15.954.3%40%84.4%6.83.00.82.1
Post All Star: Arike23.544.3%44.2%78.3%2.03.501.2

Reaction Score
Shouldn’t the ROY effect both sides of the ball and winning and losing??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

It should but won't. It should matter that one player is playing in meaningful games and fighting for a higher seeding while the other is playing to win the ROY award. It should matter that one player is given the green light to take 28 shots in a game while the other will never take that many shots in a game. The reality is that many here have probably given more thought to this than those who will fill out the ballots. The easiest and most popular metric in basketball is points scored.

Reaction Score
The reality is that many here have probably given more thought to this than those who will fill out the ballots.

Thank you!

I would guess that most of us would agree that we are witnessing three outstanding rookie performances this season by three very talented athletes. All three are in much different situations with different supporting cast and in spite of those diverse conditions all three are performing at an extremely high level.

Reaction Score
I don't think winning has ever been a big factor, no ROY since Elena Delle Donne in 2013 has had a winning record.
2018: A'ja Wilson - Aces - 14-19
2017: Allisha Gray - Wings - 16-18
2016: Breanna Stewart - Storm - 16-18
2015: Jewell Loyd - Storm - 10-24
2014: Chiney Ogwumike - Sun - 13-21

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think winning has ever been a big factor, no ROY since Elena Delle Donne in 2013 has had a winning record.
2018: A'ja Wilson - Aces - 14-19
2017: Allisha Gray - Wings - 16-18
2016: Breanna Stewart - Storm - 16-18
2015: Jewell Loyd - Storm - 10-24
2014: Chiney Ogwumike - Sun - 13-21
Did any of these winners have as much competition as the three rookies have this season? I'm curious.

Reaction Score
Did any of these winners have as much competition as the three rookies have this season? I'm curious.
In 2014 - Sims and Ogwumike was a fairly close battle.
In 2017 - Sykes and Gray was pretty close too.

Both Sykes and Sims records were even worse I think though.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
In most years, the best player goes to the team that had the worst record the previous years (there are of course outliers). So expecting just one player to turn a very bad team is asking a lot. Dallas and Indiana probably weren't making the playoffs this year no matter which rookie they drafted, though it should be noted that both have been winning more since their rookies have gone on a tear.

Reaction Score
AO scores 30 again in a loss to EDD and the Mystics. Given the strong end of year performances by the to 3 rookies this will be a close race. As I posted earlier, I wonder if the W has had three strong rookies before

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am sure the WNBA bean counters consider Arike's game more conducive to getting more main stream fans interested in the WNBA than either Napheesa or Teiera's style of play. They want another Mamba.

For example, in last night's game, she missed multiple low percentage shots and followed them up with incredibly athletic makes.

That will count a lot more than any objective analysis. Might as well get used to it.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cappie P. weighs in:

A gritty ball dominant guard pulling for a gritty ball dominant guard. Knock me over with a feather. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
But Na
I am sure the WNBA bean counters consider Arike's game more conducive to getting more main stream fans interested in the WNBA than either Napheesa or Teiera's style of play. They want another Mamba.

For example, in last night's game, she missed multiple low percentage shots and followed them up with incredibly athletic makes.

That will count a lot more than any objective analysis. Might as well get used to it.
But Napheesa was fourth in fan voting for the all-star game, so if fan interest has some effect, then that would be in her favor. OTOH, reporters cast the votes, so the league brass have (nominally) no say.

I looked at Basketball Reference at the past ROY winners. Arike would be toward the bottom in win shares (third from the bottom at this point). Napheesa would be in the middle (just above A’ja Wilson, who I thought had an amazing rookie year).

Reaction Score
And in this evening's contest McCowan, a third outstanding rookie, at the end of the first quarter has five points and two boards Big Sylvia has zero points and two boards.

McCowan rounds out a trio of exceptional rookies.

Reaction Score
A gritty ball dominant guard pulling for a gritty ball dominant guard. Knock me over with a feather. :rolleyes:

...and a humble one at that, "There hasn't been one explosive guard like me but it's safe to say....." ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom