WNBA Rookie of the year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA Rookie of the year

WNBA Rookie of the Year

• Total voters

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And in this evening's contest McCowan, a third outstanding rookie, at the end of the first quarter has five points and two boards Big Sylvia has zero points and two boards.

McCowan rounds out a trio of exceptional rookies.
Both rookies with double-doubles.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Every point is about offense. What other category is she a leader in?
My favorite part is she thinks Arike deserves ROY because she's tied with DeWanna Bonner for asissts.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't get it. What is the "sic" for? Because she didn't capitalize the W in DeWanna?
I edited so as not to muddle the message :)

Reaction Score
Cappie P. weighs in:

I like @Cappie's "lot of only's" list, couple highlighted are especially precious. Can someone direct me to where I can find these stats on the WNBA stat page? Have not seen that stat column "Player under 6'2" averaging 17 PPG" and the other stat column "Player with Assits per game scoring at least 16 PPG", I bet if @Cappie dug deeper she could have had Arike solo in first place in that stat category, instead tied with Bonner. The WNBA is getting inventive with their stats gategories. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I like @Cappie's "lot of only's" list, couple highlighted are especially precious. Can someone direct me to where I can find these stats on the WNBA stat page? Have not seen that stat column "Player under 6'2" averaging 17 PPG" and the other stat column "Player with Assits per game scoring at least 16 PPG", I bet if @Cappie dug deeper she could have had Arike solo in first place in that stat category, instead tied with Bonner. The WNBA is getting inventive with their stats gategories. :rolleyes:

View attachment 46047
On WNBA Advanced Stats. You can make it so it only shows players scoring 16 PPG and then sort it by assists.

Height is a little bit more limited (only a few options), but everything else is pretty much there. We should see who can come up with the most like that for Napheesa.

Reaction Score
Great SI article

Collier has two more games to make her case for the award, with the Lynx playing the Mercury and Sparks before season’s end while Ogunbowale has games against the Sun, Mystics and Storm left. It could be a critical week for both players and it’ll be a hell of a lot of fun for viewers tuning in to watch the rookies go off. I got my popcorn ready, do you?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As you can see above too, before her injury Durr was also having a very good rookie campaign, and should be a great shooting guard in the league for years to come.

Young has not been able to shoot a lick this season, but I'd be kind of shocked if a career 51% shooter from college doesn't' figure it out by next year. She's also been very impressive with the ball, averaging a rookie high 4.4apg vs just 1.5to/game.

Reaction Score
As you can see above too, before her injury Durr was also having a very good rookie campaign, and should be a great shooting guard in the league for years to come.

Young has not been able to shoot a lick this season, but I'd be kind of shocked if a career 51% shooter from college doesn't' figure it out by next year. She's also been very impressive with the ball, averaging a rookie high 4.4apg vs just 1.5to/game.

The thing I’ve never liked about Durr in college is her weak rebounding especially for guard her size. That seems to have translated to her WNBA game. Lack of effort or desire?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The thing I’ve never liked about Durr in college is her weak rebounding especially for guard her size. That seems to have translated to her WNBA game. Lack of effort or desire?

Not sure but in the WNBA more than college, many teams want one or more of their guards to sprint back on defense to prevent fast break points.

Maybe Arike is better at getting rebounds from her missed shots because she is more used to it. ;););););)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Not sure but in the WNBA more than college, many teams want one or more of their guards to sprint back on defense to prevent fast break points.

Maybe Arike is better at getting rebounds from her missed shots because she is more used to it. ;););););)

Not sure either, though even though she's 5-10, i've never thought of her as a "big" guard. But for her career in college, she averaged 3.2rpg, including 3.8rpg her senior year, so not sure how many rebounds you expect the guards to get?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No, it's 2-1. Arike was rewarded for her 2-of-23 masterpiece with June's ROTM award.

Oh really. Thanks for the correction. So I guess the tea leaves are pointing to Arike pretty strongly. Just more motivation for Pheesa to dominate in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
For the statisticians among us, rookie stats for the month of August:
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 4.34.06 PM.png

All three had a terrific August...Arike averaged 24.9 PPG on solid efficiency numbers, Collier stuffed the stats and was very efficient, and McCowan averaged a double-double. It is ridiculous to see how far these three have come when you look at their June stats.

I think 24.9 PPG on 44.1 FG% is going to get the ROTM award most of the time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe the Sun fans will break out "Pheesa is ROY chant" in tonight's game. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe the Sun fans will break out "Pheesa is ROY chant" in tonight's game. ;)
The Sun's guards will have to slow Arike down and make it tough for her to score. Good luck with that. I am surprised that WNBA guards have had so much trouble stopping her. Maybe she is just that good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom