WNBA Mock Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
I notice Natalie Butler as a second round pick, which I love.

Z would be the #2 pick if she was in this year's draft.

Reaction Score
I also think teams would be foolish to pass up Roshunda Johnson in the first 2 rounds. She’s extremely quick, a good decision maker, defends well, is a very good shooter and can beat defenders off the dribble. She’s a little small but I think she could be an excellent backup 2 guard in the pros.

There’s a reason nobody has yet to sign Ivory Latta as a free agent this year, and she even has some PG skills. Small players are a defensive liability in the WNBA. If a player is small, they need to make up for that lack of height in a big way. If Johnson has no PG skills, it’s going to be tough for her. Liked the rest of your post though.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe she should declare then. Won’t she be a graduate? ;)

Yes she will, (and I have no way of knowing this for sure) but I believe Stevens agreed to stay for two years if Geno agreed to take her when she was looking at other programs to transfer to. UConn had/has a glaring need for a BIG post player. Even though she was not a post at Duke (Elizabeth Williams was), she is 6'6", and can be a presence in the paint on both ends of the court.

Charli Collier decided not to come to Storrs late in the recruiting year for her class, denying UConn the possibly of recruiting another post player. That dynamic left a gaping hole at the post for UConn. ONO hadn't committed yet. Even if she had, she probably won't be ready to play until her sophomore year. Geno had Natalie Butler on the bench, but she was not living up to the expectations they had for her yet. That's why I believe Geno insisted on a two year commitment from Stevens. Having Stevens for 2 years would buy him some time to find and recruit a post player.

Stevens has made all the difference in the world for UConn this year. She took pressure off Gabby, Lou and the rest of the starting unit by being an excellent 6th man, playing down low, and blending in to the offense, thereby allowing Lou and Gabby to play positions where they are most effective.

I remember this past summer, Gabby expressing her delight at Stevens becoming eligible in that she did not have to play against post players any more, some of whom were 5-6 inches taller, and out weighted her by as much as 60 pounds. Every post player Gabby played against her junior year was taller than her. :cool:

Reaction Score
Since we r all hopin and wishhin, like to see Gabby go to Seattle somehow, and see a good coach make a point guard out of her. Replace and b mentored by Sue Bird. In my opinion, she could be one of the best ever in the WNBA barring injury with the right teaching. She has the tools.

Reaction Score
Maybe she should declare then. Won’t she be a graduate? ;)
She wouldn't be the second pick in this year's draft, given her need to improve her skills to be WNBA-ready. Improved skills gained playing another year of Uconn basketball, will enable her to make a lot more money overseas. With continued development, she would be at or near the top of next year's draft.

Reaction Score
Unless the rookie is Maya Moore. ;)

That’s true. Maya transformed the Lynx organization from Day 1. Maya is going to be the greatest of all time. Is Gabby at the Maya level?

Reaction Score
Since we r all hopin and wishhin, like to see Gabby go to Seattle somehow, and see a good coach make a point guard out of her. Replace and b mentored by Sue Bird. In my opinion, she could be one of the best ever in the WNBA barring injury with the right teaching. She has the tools.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Gabby has great court vision and a decent handle. Her length and defensive skills are superior to most PG’s. Develop a three point shot and that would be the cherry on top. Potential animal at PG. Probably not many out there that would agree.

Reaction Score
I'd take gabby at 2 and nurse at 9.

Always wondered why Wallace is never on any of these mock drafts.
Should be at least a second rounder imo.

Musina should be higher than 36.
Who is Wallace?

Reaction Score
What great picks#4 Gray to Dallas and #7 Sykes to Atlanta were last year. I’d be a terrible GM in W
Only 3 players out of 36 had any impact for their team in 2017 draft
Plum#1, Grey #4, Sykes #7
You could possibly include Davis #10 but that’s reaching. No 2nd or 3rd rounders did anything. If Chong didn’t have her concussion she would have been included

2017 WNBA Draft - WNBA - DraftSite.com

I wouldn’t want many of the players in this upcoming draft. I don’t think it’s very strong like everyone says. I dont know the Euro players though

Anyone think Aleana Coates is going to be a player?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I notice Natalie Butler as a second round pick, which I love.

Z would be the #2 pick if she was in this year's draft.
Z better improve her game. She seems very soft. Draft must be weak. Thank goodness UConn saves her from Duke. What a terrific move for her development. Now Odom at Duke is looking good. Watch her.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There’s a reason nobody has yet to sign Ivory Latta as a free agent this year, and she even has some PG skills. Small players are a defensive liability in the WNBA. If a player is small, they need to make up for that lack of height in a big way. If Johnson has no PG skills, it’s going to be tough for her. Liked the rest of your post though.

She isn’t tall (5-7) which works against her unless she’s playing alongside a big PG. I think she’d be a good pick in the 2nd round and could stick as a 10 mpg sub who provides an offensive spark off the bench. Might be an uphill battle though.

Reaction Score
According to this Gabby and Diamond to Sky.

Wonder how Gabby would handle playing with an ego-case like DD? I think DD will flame out. Wouldn't go near that kid in the draft.

Bad joss!!!!

Reaction Score
This thread has me wondering: Who was the last (recruited) scholarship player who completed four years at UConn and didn't get drafted?

Heather Buck?

Who before her?

Did Heather become a nurse as planned?

Reaction Score
Wonder how Gabby would handle playing with an ego-case like DD? I think DD will flame out. Wouldn't go near that kid in the draft.

Bad joss!!!!
You may be right. Wonder how Geno would have coached her?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Dallas taking Brown does not bode well for Saniya

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That’s true. Maya transformed the Lynx organization from Day 1. Maya is going to be the greatest of all time. Is Gabby at the Maya level?

What? This you don't know? Seriously!?;) Look I will not be surprised if Gabby is not taken in the first six picks. Furthermore I would not be shocked if Kia was picked before Gabby. Why? Because Gabby is as Sue Bird said a tweener. She has no position in the WNBA. What she does for UCONN, I don’t believe is possible to do in the WNBA. Her athleticism won’t be as distinct as it is in college. She is a bit of a project. Is some coach going to change his/her system for a player who is not a transformative player such as Moore or Stewart? I believe not. So she must fit into an existing system. She must develop a better jump shot particularly from the 3pt line. Can she be as effective in the paint in a league known for physical contact? How high can she jump when a big body is on her? Now I am not saying she is terrible. Quite the opposite. I am trying look at her as if I were a WNBA coach and/or GM who has a top six pick. Do I expend a top 6 pick on a developmental project irrespective of the potential or select a more complete player who can more easily blend into my existing system?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That’s a pretty strong recruiting pitch if Heather was the last 4 yr player not to be drafted

Doty wasn’t drafted either. UCONN players seem to excel if they stay, or they transfer:
2009-Faris, excelled
2010-Dolson/Hartley excelled, Walker, Engeln, and Johnson all transferred
2011-KML excelled, Stokes did okay but hit her stride in the pros, Banks transferred
2012-Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck excelled
2013-Chong exceeded expectations and had played in the pros
2014-Nurse and Williams excelled, Ekmark and Boykin transferred
2015-Collier and KLS have excelled
2016-Dangerfield has excelled, Irwin and Bent have not. Players are still sophomores.
2017-none have excelled...all are still in their first year. AEH transferred.

Players from the 2009-15 classes, 6 of the 19 players transferred. Besides maybe Stokes, the other 13 all made huge strides and were far better players when they left UCONN. Too early to say if the 2016 and 2017 classes will remain in tact the next few years. Seems like in most instances, the writing was on the wall for players who left. They knew they weren’t going to make an impact at UCONN, so they opted to choose a program where they could get PT. Natalie Butler, Ekmark and Michaela Johnson are all great examples of this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Doty wasn’t drafted either. UCONN players seem to excel if they stay, or they transfer:
2009-Faris, excelled
2011-KML excelled, Stokes did okay but hit her stride in the pros, Banks transferred
2016-Dangerfield has excelled, Irwin and Bent have not. Players are still sophomores.

Players from the 2009-15 classes, 6 of the 19 players transferred. Besides maybe Stokes, the other 13 all made huge strides and were far better players when they left UCONN. Too early to say if the 2016 and 2017 classes will remain in tact the next few years. Seems like in most instances, the writing was on the wall for players who left. They knew they weren’t going to make an impact at UCONN, so they opted to choose a program where they could get PT. Natalie Butler, Ekmark and Michaela Johnson are all great examples of this.
Minor corrections: Boykin was 2015. Edwards transferred out of 2014.

Reaction Score
Very talented 1st round. If Kia is available to the Sun, I just don't know how they could pass on her... and, although I don't believe in drafting UConn players to pander to UConn fans, I would be completely on board.

Not sure of their priorities going in, but they have a solid base plus some new blood coming in and returning. Fans would love it for sure, especially after Charles bagged them. I think they have finally recovered from her loss, and that Coach!

Reaction Score
2009-Faris, excelled

Didn't we have a kid from Connecticut who played four years, but wasn't drafted and whose objective was becoming a doctor? Remember her?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom