WNBA Mock Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA Mock Draft

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
There is a reason Uconn players are successful at the next level. Only some college peeps ignore that fact. Those at the next level appreciate getting Uconn players for their all around training in the game.

Reaction Score
Not sure why she’d be a particularly great fit there. Gabby would be a good utility player for any team. Chicago probably takes Gabby because she would be the best available player. Chicago is a bad team but at least she’d get to play with Stephanie Dolson.
Would the Sky be a good fit for Gabby? Havent seen them much.
Would the Sky be a good fit for Gabby? Havent seen them much.
Yes Gabby would be a good fit for the Sky. Stef had her best year in the pros her first year with Sky. They are an up and coming team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This thread has me wondering: Who was the last (recruited) scholarship player who completed four years at UConn and didn't get drafted?

Heather Buck?

Who before her?
Caroline Doty also the same year (2013)

Before them
Lorin Dixon (2011)
Kaili McLaren (2010
Meghan Gardler (2010)
Tahira Williams (2009)
Casey Kerns (2009)
Mel Thomas (2008)
Wilnett Crocket (2006)
Ashley Valley (2005)
Maria Conlon (2004)
Morgan Valley (2004)

It's been awhile.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Caroline Doty also the same year (2013)

Before them
Lorin Dixon (2011)
Kaili McLaren (2010
Meghan Gardler (2010)
Tahira Williams (2009)
Casey Kerns (2009)
Mel Thomas (2008)
Wilnett Crocket (2006)
Ashley Valley (2005)
Maria Conlon (2004)
Morgan Valley (2004)

It's been awhile.
Thanks

Reaction Score
I know I am biased but why anyone would want those other guards over Kia is a mystery to me. They are all known for one thing in particular while Kia can do it all depending on what is required of her to win on any given night. I would pick versatility.
I'm glad you recognize your bias lol. There is no way Kia will get drafted before Diamond or Kelsey. No way. I'm willing to bet the same for Gabby. Being a dynamic scorer with the ability to create your own shot and stretch the defence is very, very valuable in the WNBA, especially with length (Diamond).

While Kia has proven herself to be a strong 3-point shooter, her ability to create for herself (and even for others) is quite limited. That's not news. Gabby will not go ahead of Kelsey or Diamond either for the simple fact that she's not the basketball player that those two are. She has a lot of developing to do, irrespective of her IQ and pure grit. She simply needs to become a better basketball player, skill-wise. Her athleticism will not be as powerful a tool for her as it is now. It just won't work with the position she plays. Just because a player is extraordinary in the UCONN system, doesn't mean that they'll be as malleable in another developed system. As someone pointed out earlier, she needs to fit in; she is not the type of player that a system is built around.

However, I will say that both Gabby and Kia are amazing defenders, so they'll definitely enjoy long basketball careers. They are very selfless and always willing to sacrifice their bodies for the team.

Reaction Score
Actually Michala Johnson averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds in her injury (ACL - what else) shortened career at Wiscosin. She started 63 of 64 games played. Her FG% was 54. All totaled she had 911 points and 443 rebounds. I don't consider these numbers to suck! Consider yourself corrected. :D:rolleyes:
Thanks very impressive stats by Johnson and great correction. Nice player

Reaction Score
ITS LEXIE

good gosh people

Imma start misspelling UCONN players on purpose smh
It don’t matter how I spelled it as long as you knew who I was talking about. As you did right??? Geesh ppl are so hard on ppl who missed one letter. This isn’t school. I’m sure you graduated already. Besides look at your first word in your sentence. Lol

Reaction Score
Nurse is a good player but she doesn’t bring it all. All of her points are off of open layups or open jumpers. She doesn’t create for herself or others, nor is she a standout passer. To be an impact guard in the W, you have to be a triple threat and Kia hasn’t shown that ability. She’s done a great job as a 4th or 5th option on Connecticut, but she doesn’t have the offensive skill set that Mitchell or Brown do. 8-13 is likely where she’ll be picked. Brown has all the makings of being an excellent pro PG and will be drafted higher than that. Mitchell goes top 4, likely top 2. She can be a go to player for whoever picks her.
You are definitely looking at a different Nurse. With your statement you might need to see a Nurse. Better yet that’s how the whole team plays open lay ups and wide open 3s. Because the way they pass the ball.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You are definitely looking at a different Nurse. With your statement you might need to see a Nurse. Better yet that’s how the whole team plays open lay ups and wide open 3s. Because the way they pass the ball.

Other players drive in the lane and kick it out or beat their defender off the dribble. Kia doesn’t. The other players on UCONN create open shots where Kia is usually the recipient of them. For a combo guard prospect, she hasn’t shown great passing ability or that she can make plays for herself or others. The other 4 starters have shown stronger passing skills and ability to create.

Reaction Score
Other players drive in the lane and kick it out or beat their defender off the dribble. Kia doesn’t. The other players on UCONN create open shots where Kia is usually the recipient of them. For a combo guard prospect, she hasn’t shown great passing ability or that she can make plays for herself or others. The other 4 starters have shown stronger passing skills and ability to create.
When Crystal was not in the court, Kia was the only true guard passing the balls.

Reaction Score
Man you should tell that to the Canadian National Team who has her as their starting point guard.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
When Crystal was not in the court, Kia was the only true guard passing the balls.

The others who aren’t “true guards” are stronger passers. KLS, Collier and Williams all average far more assists per game than Nurse. They are the ones who usually make the trickier entry passes to whoever is cutting toward the basket. Nurse generally swings the ball around on the perimeter and sets picks. She’s very good at what she does but she doesn’t bring the same ability to the table that Canada or Mitchell do, and that’s why she’ll likely be selected 8-13 rather than top 5.

Reaction Score
The others who aren’t “true guards” are stronger passers. KLS, Collier and Williams all average far more assists per game than Nurse. They are the ones who usually make the trickier entry passes to whoever is cutting toward the basket. Nurse generally swings the ball around on the perimeter and sets picks. She’s very good at what she does but she doesn’t bring the same ability to the table that Canada or Mitchell do, and that’s why she’ll likely be selected 8-13 rather than top 5.
You are a LV fan why you worry Kia is top 13 or top 5?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You are a LV fan why you worry Kia is top 13 or top 5?

Just offering my input. I’m no expert, but I follow women’s basketball closely and have been a consistent poster on the BY for 10+ years. If you disagree or dislike with my opinions, feel free to respond with your take or you can ignore them altogether.

Reaction Score
Just offering my input. I’m no expert, but I follow women’s basketball closely and have been a consistent poster on the BY for 10+ years. If you disagree or dislike with my opinions, feel free to respond with your take or you can ignore them altogether.
Thanks, just curious. I fully respect your opinions and inputs.

Reaction Score
2018 WNBA Mock Draft Version 1.0

I like Indiana's pick of Maria Vadeeva. She's probably the best player in the draft. The question is will she play in the WNBA since she's from Russia.

Why would Vadeeva come to the WNBA. She has been playing in the pros since she was 16 and making money. She plays only half a year and then has time to relax and have fun. What would entice her to come?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Why would Vadeeva come to the WNBA. She has been playing in the pros since she was 16 and making money. She plays only half a year and then has time to relax and have fun. What would entice her to come?

Playing in the best league in the world.

Reaction Score
For the first 3 years of her career at Uconn that’s all she was doing, was passing but 13.0p 3.0a 3.0rb per game this year is pretty solid to me with the fact that we have a 6 players who can score and pass the ball. And when she gets to the WNBA guaranteed she shows her point guard skills driving and kicking out plus make plays for herself. She’s that tough and good

bballnut90

Reaction Score
For the first 3 years of her career at Uconn that’s all she was doing, was passing but 13.0p 3.0a 3.0rb per game this year is pretty solid to me with the fact that we have a 6 players who can score and pass the ball. And when she gets to the WNBA guaranteed she shows her point guard skills driving and kicking out plus make plays for herself. She’s that tough and good

She very well might be a better creator then she has shown at Connecticut. I posted this several times, but she plays a very specific role for Connecticut. She may be a much better facilitator than she has shown, but that’s an unknown a GM would be gambling on if they draft Kia and expect her to be a creator.

Reaction Score
She very well might be a better creator then she has shown at Connecticut. I posted this several times, but she plays a very specific role for Connecticut. She may be a much better facilitator than she has shown, but that’s an unknown a GM would be gambling on if they draft Kia and expect her to be a creator.
They have seen her in International competition, so it isn't a reach, to expect Kia to play both positions in the backcourt in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you recognize your bias lol. There is no way Kia will get drafted before Diamond or Kelsey. No way. I'm willing to bet the same for Gabby. Being a dynamic scorer with the ability to create your own shot and stretch the defence is very, very valuable in the WNBA, especially with length (Diamond).

While Kia has proven herself to be a strong 3-point shooter, her ability to create for herself (and even for others) is quite limited. That's not news. Gabby will not go ahead of Kelsey or Diamond either for the simple fact that she's not the basketball player that those two are. She has a lot of developing to do, irrespective of her IQ and pure grit. She simply needs to become a better basketball player, skill-wise. Her athleticism will not be as powerful a tool for her as it is now. It just won't work with the position she plays. Just because a player is extraordinary in the UCONN system, doesn't mean that they'll be as malleable in another developed system. As someone pointed out earlier, she needs to fit in; she is not the type of player that a system is built around.

However, I will say that both Gabby and Kia are amazing defenders, so they'll definitely enjoy long basketball careers. They are very selfless and always willing to sacrifice their bodies for the team.
She hopefully will be drafted by a team where she fits in. Example, Seattle. If not, she'll be released or traded within a few years and sign with a team she can really contribute to. As you posted, Kia should have a very long WNBA career.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised how high they have Gabby going. She's a phenomenal athlete with a great motor, drive and BBIQ, but she's is the epitome of a 'tweener.' I wonder how she'll do at the next level where the gap in athleticism between her and her opposite is reduced. Don't get me wrong, I wish her well and want her to succeed, but I am surprised that she'd be off the board at #3.

FWIW, though Kia may not be as athletic as some, she is a smart kid who will have a long WNBA career before she eventually becomes the prime minister of Canada.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Seattle picked up Natasha Howard and Courtney Paris to help with the inside game. I would like to see Vivians go to Seattle to help with scoring off the bench

Vivians will help whatever teams she goes to.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The last thing Seattle needs is more guards, scoring isn't a problem, rebounding the ball for defensive stops is. The new coach is a defensive coach, he is going to find someone to help Stewie rebound, or he won't last the year.

This list was a "cut & paste"job from an outside source. These are not MY projections. I used it to illustrate a point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom