WNBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

WNBA Mock Draft

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
2018 WNBA Mock Draft Version 1.0

I like Indiana's pick of Maria Vadeeva. She's probably the best player in the draft. The question is will she play in the WNBA since she's from Russia.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
According to this Gabby and Diamond to Sky.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone (except us lol) see the upward potential of Gabby playing in her home state? Granted Wilson will get people into seats but I would just think Gabby can be such a fresh face on a new team and with all her ability has a chance to soar to new heights. And forget about a fan base...it's already there! They want Gabby! If I was GM I'd want Gabby. I would love to see her go #1

Plus all the UCONN fans out there will have a reason to go see some WNBA games. Great for women's basketball (dare I say that?)

Reaction Score
I'd take gabby at 2 and nurse at 9.

Always wondered why Wallace is never on any of these mock drafts.
Should be at least a second rounder imo.

Musina should be higher than 36.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Very talented 1st round. If Kia is available to the Sun, I just don't know how they could pass on her... and, although I don't believe in drafting UConn players to pander to UConn fans, I would be completely on board.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone (except us lol) see the upward potential of Gabby playing in her home state? Granted Wilson will get people into seats but I would just think Gabby can be such a fresh face on a new team and with all her ability has a chance to soar to new heights. And forget about a fan base...it's already there! They want Gabby! If I was GM I'd want Gabby. I would love to see her go #1

Plus all the UCONN fans out there will have a reason to go see some WNBA games. Great for women's basketball (dare I say that?)

Unless another team makes Aces head coach Bill Laimbeer an offer he can't refuse to trade up to the #1 spot, the Las Vegas Aces are going to take Wilson at #1. There is absolutely no mystery there. The Aces need help at every position. Remember, they finished with the worst record in the league the last two seasons. Trader Bill has got to make some changes. They have already proven that can't win as presently constituted. Laimbeer was brought in to turn the team around, to win and be competitive now, not in 2-3 years.

Wilson would definitely fill a glaring need at the post for them for the next 10 years. You can get guards and forwards much easier than a good serviceable post player. The road to the WNBA championship goes through Minneapolis, and 6'6" Sylvia Fowles, who finally blossomed last year. 6'8" Liz Cambage is returning to the Dallas Wings this year having signed a multi-year contract. Don't forget about 6'9" Brittney Griner in Phoenix, or 6'7" Imani (McGee-Stafford) Boyette (Atlanta). They're all going to be around for awhile. It will be interesting to see where and when current junior post players Teaira McCowan (Mississippi St) and Kalani Brown (Baylor) end up next year. Both are 6'7", and should go in the first round with Brown going before McCowan.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Is it in the cards to trade a #1 pick for the #3 and #4 pick?

I mean it has to at least be a consideration...give up Wilson and grab 2 extremely qualified ladies? What are LV needs right away?

Reaction Score
Very talented 1st round. If Kia is available to the Sun, I just don't know how they could pass on her... and, although I don't believe in drafting UConn players to pander to UConn fans, I would be completely on board.
I saw one mock draft which had Kia going in the next pick after the Sun. In my opinion, there is no way they would let her get by if it's that close. Totally agree with you.

Reaction Score
Wow. Russell at #22. She was #1 in her class and now is a low second-round pick. And this is after FIVE years of “development” on the LV Hot Mess Express. Poor kid. She had to have expected more.

I really hope they extend Holly... ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Been saying this for a while now, these WNBA mocks are sleeping on both Russians.
Maria Vadeeva should be among the top five picks and Raisa Musina should be somewhere in the first round.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Gabby #3, Kia #9, Butler #12 (second run). Jaime Nared should be in the first round, JMHO.

Jaime Nared should be selected at best middle 2nd round.
Jaime Nared was most disappointing this year. I thought she played on average poorly. Her FG% was 39% which for someone who primarily played forward was poor. Napheesa Collier's FG% is 58% and it is viewed as a down year. Nared took 98 more shots than Russell who shot 58%. Nared shot selection is poor and she is a gunner. Many of those shots should have been feeds to Russell. She should have had more than 84 assists. She chucked up 112 3FGs at a 24% rate.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wow. Russell at #22. She was #1 in her class and now is a low second-round pick. And this is after FIVE years of “development” on the LV Hot Mess Express. Poor kid. She had to have expected more.

Well first year bad feet. Second year a recovery year. Still had 1,500 points and 1,000 rebounds. If she had four healthy years stats would be better.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is it in the cards to trade a #1 pick for the #3 and #4 pick?

I mean it has to at least be a consideration...give up Wilson and grab 2 extremely qualified ladies? What are LV needs right away?

If you can pick up an extra high 1st round pick THIS year, and get two players that can come in and help your team right away, you might do it. He might get Gabby with that extra pick. It might be worth it to pass on Wilson this year knowing that Brown and McCowan are coming out next year. Rome was not built in a day. Laimbeer will be tweaking this roster for the next few years until he has one he thinks he can win a championship with. There are 3 post players projected to go in the 2nd round.

There will be a lot of talent coming into the league this year, to wit: (first round projected draftees)

1. A’ja Wilson – (F) – Las Vegas Aces
  2. Kelsey Mitchell – (G) – Indiana Fever
  3. Gabby Williams (F) – Chicago Sky
  4. Diamond DeShields – (G) – Chicago Sky
  5. Jordin Canada – (G) – Seattle Storm
  6. Lexie Brown – (G) – Dallas Wings
  7. Victoria Vivians – (G) – Washington Mystics
  8. Maria Vadeeva – (C) – Indiana Fever
  9. Kia Nurse – (G) – Connecticut Sun
  10. Ariel Atkins – (G) – New York Liberty
  11. Stephanie Mavunga – (F) – Los Angeles Sparks
  12. Monique Billings – (F) – Phoenix Mercury
SECOND ROUND
  1. Jaime Nared – (F) – Las Vegas Aces
  2. Marie Gulich – (C) – Indiana Fever
  3. Tyler Scaife – (G) – Connecticut Sun
  4. Shakayla Thomas – (G) – Atlanta Dream
  5. Myisha Hines – Allen (F) – Minnesota Lynx
  6. Brooke McCarty – (G) – Dallas Wings
  7. Katelynn Flaherty – (G) – Washington Mystics
  8. Vionise Pierre – Louis – (C) – Phoenix Mercury
  9. Tyra Buss – (G) – Phoenix Mercury
  10. Mercedes Russell – (C) – New York Liberty
  11. Rebecca Greenwell – (G) – Los Angeles Sparks
  12. Natalie Butler – (C) – Minnesota Lynx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Always wondered why Wallace is never on any of these mock drafts.

She’s on my mine.... #24. Any team who drafts her wouldn’t have to sign her until 2019 since she’s unable to perform. She’d be perfect for a team that doesn’t need guards this year but there could be an opening next year.

Reaction Score

This is just one person’s assessment. I have her going #6. Pretty sure I’ll be closer. Hard to imagine her going any lower than #14 to Indy, who needs size more than any other team.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This thread has me wondering: Who was the last (recruited) scholarship player who completed four years at UConn and didn't get drafted?

Heather Buck?

Who before her?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I wouldn't take her till the third round, if then. Maybe she'll develop with pro coaching but I'm not optimistic. My hope for her is that she can make a decent wad playing overseas.

Reaction Score
Well first year bad feet. Second year a recovery year. Still had 1,500 points and 1,000 rebounds. If she had four healthy years stats would be better.

Well... Parker missed a year, didn’t take the extra year and still went #1. Bird missed a bunch of time and still went #1. Jewel Lloyd left a year early, and went #1.
You get my drift. Pro scouts can probably factor that all in and don’t just blindly follow total cumulative career stats as a gauge of future success in the league.

I want to be clear I am not ripping on this young lady. She seems like a great person and I have much respect for her loyalty to the LV program. But that said I feel that same program has failed her and many others (basketball-wise) and that seems a damn shame. I hope she gets her chance, gets great coaching, and is able to rise to her former heights.

Reaction Score
Unless another team makes Aces head coach Bill Laimbeer an offer he can't refuse to trade up to the #1 spot, the Las Vegas Aces are going to take Wilson at #1. There is absolutely no mystery there. The Aces need help at every position. Remember, they finished with the worst record in the league the last two seasons. Trader Bill has got to make some changes. They have already proven that can't win as presently constituted. Laimbeer was brought in to turn the team around, to win and be competitive now, not in 2-3 years.

Wilson would definitely fill a glaring need at the post for them for the next 10 years. You can get guards and forwards much easier than a good serviceable post player. The road to the WNBA championship goes through Minneapolis, and 6'6" Sylvia Fowles, who finally blossomed last year. 6'8" Liz Cambage is returning to the Dallas Wings this year having signed a multi-year contract. Don't forget about 6'9" Brittney Griner in Phoenix. She's going to be around for awhile. It will be interesting to see where and when current junior post players Teaira McCowan (Mississippi St) and Kalani Brown (Baylor) end up next year. Both are 6'7", and should go in the first round with Brown going before McCowan.
Agree no suspense on him taking Wilson - no brainer. I also agree he needs to make other changes, and Trader Bill won't hesitate to shake things up. Would actually surprise me if he didn't trade one of his 2 young franchise-grade point guards for a missing piece or another high draft choice. This could end up being a very good team, very soon.

Reaction Score
This is just one person’s assessment. I have her going #6. Pretty sure I’ll be closer. Hard to imagine her going any lower than #14 to Indy, who needs size more than any other team.
She is a first rounder for sure and will definitely not go to the Liberty

Reaction Score
I know I am biased but why anyone would want those other guards over Kia is a mystery to me. They are all known for one thing in particular while Kia can do it all depending on what is required of her to win on any given night. I would pick versatility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom