WNBA Mock Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Mock Draft

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know I am biased but why anyone would want those other guards over Kia is a mystery to me. They are all known for one thing in particular while Kia can do it all depending on what is required of her to win on any given night. I would pick versatility.

What are Mitchell, Deshields, Canada, Vivians and Brown known for in particular?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What are Mitchell, Deshields, Canada, Vivians and Brown known for in particular?

I don't follow the others as closely, but Canada recently became the Pac 12 career leader for assists, she was named defensive co-player of the year, and has scored over 2000 career points. Is that more than one thing?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How about Gulich early in the 2nd round? I bet nobody was projecting that before the season started.

Reaction Score
When I watch them, dribble a lot. Take lots of inefficient shots to get those point totals. Canada to me has a tendency to struggle in big games with getting those assists another poster talked about. I just wouldn't draft them over Kia.

Reaction Score
Would the Sky be a good fit for Gabby? Havent seen them much.

Reaction Score
I don't follow the others as closely, but Canada recently became the Pac 12 career leader for assists, she was named defensive co-player of the year, and has scored over 2000 career points. Is that more than one thing?

Lexie Brown was the ACC defensive player of the year. Plus she has more career steals than Alana Beard.

Reaction Score
Would the Sky be a good fit for Gabby? Havent seen them much.

Not sure why she’d be a particularly great fit there. Gabby would be a good utility player for any team. Chicago probably takes Gabby because she would be the best available player. Chicago is a bad team but at least she’d get to play with Stephanie Dolson.

Reaction Score
Not sure why she’d be a particularly great fit there. Gabby would be a good utility player for any team. Chicago probably takes Gabby because she would be the best available player. Chicago is a bad team but at least she’d get to play with Stephanie Dolson.
My pipe dream is for Gabby to get traded to Minnesota in a big draft day switcharoo since I think they could use her speed coupled with their veteran players.

Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone (except us lol) see the upward potential of Gabby playing in her home state? Granted Wilson will get people into seats but I would just think Gabby can be such a fresh face on a new team and with all her ability has a chance to soar to new heights. And forget about a fan base...it's already there! They want Gabby! If I was GM I'd want Gabby. I would love to see her go #1

Plus all the UCONN fans out there will have a reason to go see some WNBA games. Great for women's basketball (dare I say that?)
Ridiculous. She is very good in college, but the pros remain to be seen. I'll bet she couldn't put enough seats in the stands to see a difference. Wilson is the only choice for the first pick. You have to be delusional to think differently. She's 5-11 and can't shoot a WNBA three consistently. She's been great in college, and I'm looking forward to see how her skills function in the pros. But taking her number 1 would be a disastrous mistake.

Reaction Score
My pipe dream is for Gabby to get traded to Minnesota in a big draft day switcharoo since I think they could use her speed coupled with their veteran players.

Yeah, I have hopes for Gabby to end up on a team that is already good. Then she can use her particular skills to assist and defend, as well as there being more openings for her to score. I can see her being a terrific sixth player in that situation!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

At least she'd get to play with the finest point guard in all of Hungary.

Reaction Score
Jaime Nared should be selected at best middle 2nd round.
Jaime Nared was most disappointing this year. I thought she played on average poorly. Her FG% was 39% which for someone who primarily played forward was poor. Napheesa Collier's FG% is 58% and it is viewed as a down year. Nared took 98 more shots than Russell who shot 58%. Nared shot selection is poor and she is a gunner. Many of those shots should have been feeds to Russell. She should have had more than 84 assists. She chucked up 112 3FGs at a 24% rate.
I agree. I think she's thought to highly of on this board because of her comments on Geno last summer. She was thought highly of before that because she was a hardworking player and she was tough. This year, every time I watched her she looked awful. Checking boxscores of games, a lot of her points were free throws. Against ND and Oregon ST, she tried to play hero ball but failed miserably. She could have been great, but went to Holly Warlick. When are recruits going to see that she doesn't develop any of her players?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Yes, they could use a lottery pick to go with their championship-winning roster. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me Wilson is the clear #1. But if I’m Trader Bill and Chicago offers me #3 and #4 I’d really consider it. Basically means you are getting Gabby or Kelsey plus Diamond. Obviously if it’s Kelsey and not Gabby they continue to be very perimeter heavy but he would have more pieces to flip, which he has always been good at.

Maybe keep Mitchell or Deshields (if Gabby doesn’t fall to #3) and flip the other for a #1 next year.

Reaction Score

She wouldn’t get much playing time in Minnesota. They’re loaded with veterans and they get almost all the playing time. Reeve avoids playing rookies.

Reaction Score
Stacked at center...I actually think Gabby could play small forward for the Liberty and fit quite nicely into their rotation

The Liberty pick at #10. I think Gabby will be gone by then, but you never know. She’d be a nice pick up for them. Tina Charles has been playing PF for the Liberty, and they haven’t really figured out their center situation yet. Nobody at center has really stepped up to where they need to be.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If you can pick up an extra 1st high round pick THIS year, and get two players that can come in and help your team right away, you might do it. He might get Gabby with that extra pick. It might be worth it to pass on Wilson this year knowing that Brown and McCowan are coming out next year. Rome was not built in a day. Laimbeer will be tweaking this roster for the next few years until he has one he thinks he can win a championship with. There are 3 post players projected to go in the 2nd round.

There will be a lot of talent coming into the league this year, to wit: (first round projected draftees)

1. A’ja Wilson – (F) – Las Vegas Aces
  2. Kelsey Mitchell – (G) – Indiana Fever
  3. Gabby Williams (F) – Chicago Sky
  4. Diamond DeShields – (G) – Chicago Sky
  5. Jordin Canada – (G) – Seattle Storm
  6. Lexie Brown – (G) – Dallas Wings
  7. Victoria Vivians – (G) – Washington Mystics
  8. Maria Vadeeva – (C) – Indiana Fever
  9. Kia Nurse – (G) – Connecticut Sun
  10. Ariel Atkins – (G) – New York Liberty
  11. Stephanie Mavunga – (F) – Los Angeles Sparks
  12. Monique Billings – (F) – Phoenix Mercury
SECOND ROUND
  1. Jaime Nared – (F) – Las Vegas Aces
  2. Marie Gulich – (C) – Indiana Fever
  3. Tyler Scaife – (G) – Connecticut Sun
  4. Shakayla Thomas – (G) – Atlanta Dream
  5. Myisha Hines – Allen (F) – Minnesota Lynx
  6. Brooke McCarty – (G) – Dallas Wings
  7. Katelynn Flaherty – (G) – Washington Mystics
  8. Vionise Pierre – Louis – (C) – Phoenix Mercury
  9. Tyra Buss – (G) – Phoenix Mercury
  10. Mercedes Russell – (C) – New York Liberty
  11. Rebecca Greenwell – (G) – Los Angeles Sparks
  12. Natalie Butler – (C) – Minnesota Lynx

It’s definirely the best and deepest draft we’ve seen in years. I think even if Vadeeva is a stud, taking any international player top 5 is incredibly risky considering how inconsistent most international players have been in regards to showing up every year for basketball season. Cambage is a perfect example of that.

Another interesting thought...I believe McCowan is eligible this year if she wants to make the jump. Realistically, Mississippi State is not going to be as strong next year as they lose 4 starters. If she makes the jump, she could easily be a top 5-10 pick. Granted, another year under Vic and being the centerpiece of the team next year could elevate her stock to top 2-3 next year, but adding her as a draftable player could shake things up.

I also think teams would be foolish to pass up Roshunda Johnson in the first 2 rounds. She’s extremely quick, a good decision maker, defends well, is a very good shooter and can beat defenders off the dribble. She’s a little small but I think she could be an excellent backup 2 guard in the pros.

Reaction Score
If you can pick up an extra 1st high round pick THIS year, and get two players that can come in and help your team right away, you might do it. He might get Gabby with that extra pick. It might be worth it to pass on Wilson this year knowing that Brown and McCowan are coming out next year. Rome was not built in a day. Laimbeer will be tweaking this roster for the next few years until he has one he thinks he can win a championship with. There are 3 post players projected to go in the 2nd round.

There will be a lot of talent coming into the league this year, to wit: (first round projected draftees)

1. A’ja Wilson – (F) – Las Vegas Aces
  2. Kelsey Mitchell – (G) – Indiana Fever
  3. Gabby Williams (F) – Chicago Sky
  4. Diamond DeShields – (G) – Chicago Sky
  5. Jordin Canada – (G) – Seattle Storm
  6. Lexie Brown – (G) – Dallas Wings
  7. Victoria Vivians – (G) – Washington Mystics
  8. Maria Vadeeva – (C) – Indiana Fever
  9. Kia Nurse – (G) – Connecticut Sun
  10. Ariel Atkins – (G) – New York Liberty
  11. Stephanie Mavunga – (F) – Los Angeles Sparks
  12. Monique Billings – (F) – Phoenix Mercury
SECOND ROUND
  1. Jaime Nared – (F) – Las Vegas Aces
  2. Marie Gulich – (C) – Indiana Fever
  3. Tyler Scaife – (G) – Connecticut Sun
  4. Shakayla Thomas – (G) – Atlanta Dream
  5. Myisha Hines – Allen (F) – Minnesota Lynx
  6. Brooke McCarty – (G) – Dallas Wings
  7. Katelynn Flaherty – (G) – Washington Mystics
  8. Vionise Pierre – Louis – (C) – Phoenix Mercury
  9. Tyra Buss – (G) – Phoenix Mercury
  10. Mercedes Russell – (C) – New York Liberty
  11. Rebecca Greenwell – (G) – Los Angeles Sparks
  12. Natalie Butler – (C) – Minnesota Lynx
The last thing Seattle needs is more guards, scoring isn't a problem, rebounding the ball for defensive stops is. The new coach is a defensive coach, he is going to find someone to help Stewie rebound, or he won't last the year.

Reaction Score
This is just one person’s assessment. I have her going #6. Pretty sure I’ll be closer. Hard to imagine her going any lower than #14 to Indy, who needs size more than any other team.
You also have Seattle taking another guard, which if you have watched them, they already have too many guard types. They need a rebounding big, who can also block shots. Even with Stewie, one of the best rebounders, Seattle is next to last in rebounding.

Reaction Score
You also have Seattle taking another guard, which if you have watched them, they already have too many guard types. They need a rebounding big, who can also block shots. Even with Stewie, one of the best rebounders, Seattle is next to last in rebounding.

I figured Seattle needs a worthy replacement for Sue Bird very soon. Dan Hughes is the new coach for Seattle. When he was with San Antonio, the PG’s he drafted were Danielle Robinson and Moriah Jefferson. He seems to prefer the smaller quicker type of PG, so I chose Jordin Canada for Seattle, even though I think Lexie Brown is the more promising WNBA player.

When you do a mock draft, it should be about predicting which team will pick which player.... not just about having all your favorite players on top of the draft.

Reaction Score
The last thing Seattle needs is more guards, scoring isn't a problem, rebounding the ball for defensive stops is. The new coach is a defensive coach, he is going to find someone to help Stewie rebound, or he won't last the year.

He brought in Courtney Paris as a free agent. Rebounding seems to be her thing and it’s about her only thing. Who do you think Seattle should take at #5?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Uhhh baggerbob, My comments were limited to what head coach Bill Laimbeer of the Las Vegas Aces might do. I did not mention Seattle or Dan Hughes anywhere in my post, but I do agree with your observation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Seattle picked up Natasha Howard and Courtney Paris to help with the inside game. I would like to see Vivians go to Seattle to help with scoring off the bench

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom