WNBA Mock Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA Mock Draft

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Didn't we have a kid from Connecticut who played four years, but wasn't drafted and whose objective was becoming a doctor? Remember her?
I think you are referring to Briana Pulito, aka "Polly". She was not initially a scholarship player and was not recruited while in high school. She was initially a walk-on and then got a scholarship. I think the question above is about scholarship players who were recruited by the coaches while they were in high school.

Reaction Score
I think you are referring to Briana Pulito, aka "Polly". She was not initially a scholarship player and was not recruited while in high school. She was initially a walk-on and then got a scholarship. I think the question above is about scholarship players who were recruited by the coaches while they were in high school.

Yep. Did she make it to med-school? Anyone know? I recall Coach Geno's telling her that she should stay back at Storrs and study for science exams instead of go on the road with the team.

Hope she made it!

Reaction Score
I notice Natalie Butler as a second round pick, which I love.

Z would be the #2 pick if she was in this year's draft.

Natalie will be a real X factor in the draft and training camp. She certainly wasn't WNBA quality when she was at UConn. The big question will be whether she was excelling against second- or third-tier teams, or whether she has truly made a major jump in performance.

Naturally, I'll be rooting for her.

Reaction Score
Doty wasn’t drafted either. UCONN players seem to excel if they stay, or they transfer:
2009-Faris, excelled
2010-Dolson/Hartley excelled, Walker, Engeln, and Johnson all transferred
2011-KML excelled, Stokes did okay but hit her stride in the pros, Banks transferred
2012-Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck excelled
2013-Chong exceeded expectations and had played in the pros
2014-Nurse and Williams excelled, Ekmark and Boykin transferred
2015-Collier and KLS have excelled
2016-Dangerfield has excelled, Irwin and Bent have not. Players are still sophomores.
2017-none have excelled...all are still in their first year. AEH transferred.

Players from the 2009-15 classes, 6 of the 19 players transferred. Besides maybe Stokes, the other 13 all made huge strides and were far better players when they left UCONN. Too early to say if the 2016 and 2017 classes will remain in tact the next few years. Seems like in most instances, the writing was on the wall for players who left. They knew they weren’t going to make an impact at UCONN, so they opted to choose a program where they could get PT. Natalie Butler, Ekmark and Michaela Johnson are all great examples of this.
Correct me on this. Didn’t Engeln and Johnson suck after they left?
Banks was nothing great after she left to PennState?
Boykin definitely nothing special currently at PennState?
Ekmark doing fine at Az St?
In the past few years only Ekmark and Edwards have done well as transfers to Power 5 schools. Neither great but good additions. I think overall UConn transfers have definitely underperformed. Fan bases have huge hopes because they are from UConn. I would overrate them too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the past few years only Ekmark and Edwards have done well as transfers to Power 5 schools. Neither great but good additions. I think overall UConn transfers have definitely underperformed. Fan bases have huge hopes because they are from UConn. I would overrate them too.
Engeln had some problems at BC and didn’t finish her eligibility.

Johnson actually did well at Wisconsin before getting injured again.

Edwards, Ekmark, and Boykin all became starters on so-so teams. Their numbers were decent, but they are not WNBA prospects. DJB is not a shooter or scorer, but she’s a pretty good rebounder.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What about Samarie Walker? Didn't she do decent at Kentucky after leaving UConn?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What about Samarie Walker? Didn't she do decent at Kentucky after leaving UConn?
I think “decent” is accurate. She started much of the time, but wasn’t much of a scorer. I’m not sure if she made a pro team or not.

Reaction Score
What? This you don't know? Seriously!?;) Look I will not be surprised if Gabby is not taken in the first six picks. Furthermore I would not be shocked if Kia was picked before Gabby. Why? Because Gabby is as Sue Bird said a tweener. She has no position in the WNBA. What she does for UCONN, I don’t believe is possible to do in the WNBA. Her athleticism won’t be as distinct as it is in college. She is a bit of a project. Is some coach going to change his/her system for a player who is not a transformative player such as Moore or Stewart? I believe not. So she must fit into an existing system. She must develop a better jump shot particularly from the 3pt line. Can she be as effective in the paint in a league known for physical contact? How high can she jump when a big body is on her? Now I am not saying she is terrible. Quite the opposite. I am trying look at her as if I were a WNBA coach and/or GM who has a top six pick. Do I expend a top 6 pick on a developmental project irrespective of the potential or select a more complete player who can more easily blend into my existing system?
I think you’re right. I watched Gabby verse L’ville. Taken back by her all around athleticism and IQ. Also taken back her hesitancy and lack of confidence in her outside shot. Startling to see at this stage of her Sr year. That’s a glaring weakness on the WNBA level.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard she was pretty good at KY. I had just started following WNBA 2013 her final semester.

Reaction Score
Engeln had some problems at BC and didn’t finish her eligibility.

Johnson actually did well at Wisconsin before getting injured again.

Edwards, Ekmark, and Boykin all became starters on so-so teams. Their numbers were decent, but they are not WNBA prospects. DJB is not a shooter or scorer, but she’s a pretty good rebounder.
Thanks I didn’t realize Johnson played well at Wisconsin. They must have been thrilled to land her. Too bad she was hurt.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

They haven’t become great players, but for the most part they’ve played much larger roles at their new programs than they would have at Connecticut.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Correct me on this. Didn’t ... Johnson suck after they left?

Actually Michala Johnson averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds in her injury (ACL - what else) shortened career at Wiscosin. She started 63 of 64 games played. Her FG% was 54. All totaled she had 911 points and 443 rebounds. I don't consider these numbers to suck! Consider yourself corrected. :D:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Don’t like this Mock Draft. Lexi Brown is not better than Kia Nurse in fact there shouldn’t be a guard taken in front of her, not even K. Mitchell. The reason why. Nurse brings it all. Scoring,passing,rebounds,defense toughness and IQ. Besides she’s more Pro ready than probably any other Player in this year Draft. She is so poised and this year I loved how she lets the game come to her instead of forcing. But either way she’s definitely going to a WNBA team

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Don’t like this Mock Draft. Lexi Brown is not better than Kia Nurse in fact there shouldn’t be a guard taken in front of her, not even K. Mitchell. The reason why. Nurse brings it all. Scoring,passing,rebounds,defense toughness and IQ. Besides she’s more Pro ready than probably any other Player in this year Draft. She is so poised and this year I loved how she lets the game come to her instead of forcing. But either way she’s definitely going to a WNBA team

ITS LEXIE

good gosh people

Imma start misspelling UCONN players on purpose smh

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Nurse is a good player but she doesn’t bring it all. All of her points are off of open layups or open jumpers. She doesn’t create for herself or others, nor is she a standout passer. To be an impact guard in the W, you have to be a triple threat and Kia hasn’t shown that ability. She’s done a great job as a 4th or 5th option on Connecticut, but she doesn’t have the offensive skill set that Mitchell or Brown do. 8-13 is likely where she’ll be picked. Brown has all the makings of being an excellent pro PG and will be drafted higher than that. Mitchell goes top 4, likely top 2. She can be a go to player for whoever picks her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, might need to redo those mock drafts. I think Barta could be a 2nd rounder. Stretch 4 who can really shoot the 3 and also attack off the dribble. Decent rebounder. Defense isn't a strength.

Stuff that came out earlier made it sound like she just wanted to go home to Montana, but now it's sounding like it's more about entering the draft.

Reaction Score
He brought in Courtney Paris as a free agent. Rebounding seems to be her thing and it’s about her only thing. Who do you think Seattle should take at #5?
You had Russell going 6, Holly who had no clue of how to run an offense limited her development. She can rebound, block shots, and with Sue, Jewell, and Stewie, she would get the ball where she could score.

Reaction Score
Yeah, might need to redo those mock drafts. I think Barta could be a 2nd rounder. Stretch 4 who can really shoot the 3 and also attack off the dribble. Decent rebounder. Defense isn't a strength.

I really like my mock at the moment. I don’t know if Barta entering the draft shakes things up enough for me. I figure Seattle could be interested in her for the local ties, but they don’t have a second round pick. They don’t pick until #29, where I already have a bargain in Katelynn Flaherty. I have Rebecca Greenwell all the way down at #32. Go ahead and try to make a three round mock where some decent college players don’t get slighted.

Reaction Score
To go back a while, Marci Glenney did well at Clemson after transferring and then also became a nurse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom