WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 38 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why not try again with this group? Brionna Jones missing was huge. Her inside work could have made the difference.
I agree. Run it back. To think they got this far with a new coach and missing one of their core players. They have to run it back provided they can keep their roster intact. I am not sure if they need a "point guard". They just need some perimeter players who can knock down shots. I mean they got to the semifinals without a "point guard". But if they can keep their roster intact, run it back.

Reaction Score
ESPN jinx

Wouldn't it be something if free agent Diggins ended up back with Sandy in New York. France hosting the Olympics, can't imagine Johannes not playing for France.
She would need to be with the team, and probably not be able to be in the states.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if free agent Diggins ended up back with Sandy in New York. France hosting the Olympics, can't imagine Johannes not playing for France.
She would need to be with the team, and probably not be able to be in the states.
Can we see Diggins-Smith accepting a minor role, probably coming off the bench for the Liberty? I can't. With the distractions she seemed to cause in Phoenix, she should be just about the last player NY would try adding to their mix.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just a guess, but I see SDS going home to Indiana or Chicago.
That's my guess, too, but I'm thinking more Route 80 to Chicago than 31 to Indy.
  • Indy has both Erica Wheeler and Grace Berger under contract, with Wheeler's being by far the larger. Christie Sides, in effect, brought Wheeler with her from Atlanta. While many of us thought the flow wasn't there, did Sides or GM Dunn view it that way? And Berger looks like she's a keeper (for a lot of reasons).
  • Now Chicago is in flux with no general manager or coach or Courtney Williams, who was the de facto point guard last year now an unrestricted free agent. Do they double down on Williams being with Copper and Mabrey? Or try SDS? (Or a less expensive version with Lindsay Allen or slightly younger version with Jordin Canada?)

With two children and her affinity for her hometown, I think Sky will work to stay close to South Bend.

Reaction Score

If this rumour proves to be true, the timing couldn't be better. I'll be celebrating this big time over our Thanksgiving weekend along with the Bills game in England on Sunday. The hangover will be painful but worth it. :)

Dillon77

Reaction Score

If this rumour proves to be true, the timing couldn't be better. I'll be celebrating this big time over our Thanksgiving weekend along with the Bills game in England on Sunday. The hangover will be painful but worth it. :)

Maybe Nat Achonwa will work her way to have her last years be spent on the Toronto team.
And/or work for the team in another capacity.

If true, those would be two solid choices.

Reaction Score

Well said. I am sure the Toronto expansion team will be a solid group for the WNBA as well as the Bay area ownership group. I am excited. Been way too long for expansion for the WNBA.

Reaction Score

I don’t mean to speculate, but I’m wondering if this is an incentive for the last group that has COVID eligibility to use it.

I’m sure Cameron Brink or Azzi Fudd (‘25) would love to play for Steph’s Warriors’ sister-squad.

Reaction Score
Maybe Nat Achonwa will work her way to have her last years be spent on the Toronto team.
And/or work for the team in another capacity.

If true, those would be two solid choices.

Considering all that she has done for Canada Basketball on and off the court, that would be awesome. She has a lot of things going on in the background, with branding that would make it easier. Plus as one of the long standing Canada Basketball vets, getting a chance to rep at home would be a great way to finish her career.

Reaction Score
I don’t mean to speculate, but I’m wondering if this is an incentive for the last group that has COVID eligibility to use it.

I’m sure Cameron Brink or Azzi Fudd (‘25) would love to play for Steph’s Warriors’ sister-squad.

It's a possibility but not sure if they really have any control in landing there as a draft pick.

Reaction Score

Interesting fly in the ointment which pushes the advantage to Portland for a 2nd expansion team.

Where most of us looked at taxes and exchange rates, losing access to hosting concerts at Scotiabank arena is a large sticking point. That's a lot of revenue they would lose. The summer concert season in Toronto is no joke.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
But, as noted, the WNBA is announcing just one for 2025:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Well on the subject of PGs, going back to 2009 every WNBA Champ except one had Bird, Whalen, Gray, Sloot, Taurasi (I know, sometimes more a 2G than PG) or Cloud, and this year will be either Gray or Sloot again. Very few of those players were selected as MOP for the playoffs, but it appears you have to have a premier guard to win a Title.

Anyway Hiedeman isn't a PG at all, she's a small 2G. Career average of 2.4 apg. Hasn't cracked double digit scoring average yet in her career. They'd really be well advised to upgrade at that position.
The thing about Taurasi is that even when she was the de facto PG, Phoenix always had a secondary facilitator from the frontcourt in Penny Taylor.
If you look at the post-Cappie Pondexter era, Lady Penelope Jane (the Mercury Brigade's nickname for Taylor), averaged over 4.7 assists per game combined in 2010, 2011, and 2014 (she only played in a total of ten games in 2012 and 2013 combined).

This is similar to what Connecticut did with Alyssa Thomas -- as a secondary facilitator -- when Jasmine Thomas was there. This year, however, it was clear Alyssa Thomas was the team's starting point guard.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
From The Athletic:
"WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert said at a Bay Area news conference that the league’s goal “is to have a 14th team by 2025 as well.” When asked about potential cities, she said she’s visited Portland, Denver and Toronto."

So, if that's the case, there should be a minimum 24 extra positions available in 2025 than will be in 2024. Now, not all of those will go to rookies, but a number of them will. Seems like one reason why players who can use the Covid Exemption (or medical extension) might want to stay in college beyond this season. if they're not certain of going pro (for whatever reasons).

Reaction Score
From The Athletic:
"WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert said at a Bay Area news conference that the league’s goal “is to have a 14th team by 2025 as well.” When asked about potential cities, she said she’s visited Portland, Denver and Toronto."

So, if that's the case, there should be a minimum 24 extra positions available in 2025 than will be in 2024. Now, not all of those will go to rookies, but a number of them will. Seems like one reason why players who can use the Covid Exemption (or medical extension) might want to stay in college beyond this season. if they're not certain of going pro (for whatever reasons).

Some food for thought about players using their COVID year to wait until 2025. This Twitter thread provides good insight.

If needed, I can do screen shots but it won't be up until later today

Reaction Score
I read Portland will be the other team
Portland getting another shot at having a team? I really liked the Portland Fire back in the day. They only had a three year run but they had potential.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I
Some food for thought about players using their COVID year to wait until 2025. This Twitter thread provides good insight.

If needed, I can do screen shots but it won't be up until later today

Thanks...I read it. I'm not saying the stars he mentioned or COVID players will go to expansion teams per se. All teams will lose a player (or two) in expansion drafts. The incoming players will be seeded around the league. I'm taking a look at the entirety. There will be 24 jobs that didn't exist for all hoopsters to take a shot at.....which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom