WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 37 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When she plays within herself she is the missing piece.
The game they lost she had 3 turnovers and 1 basket.
That is not her type of game.
Great defense and usually fills the stat sheet.
Her ability to move within the offence is fun to watch. Great instincts within the system that the Liberty has in place.

Reaction Score
Incredulous Ll Cool J GIF

Reaction Score
Critical reason why NY is in the finals in my opinion. Her play this series doesn't get talked about enough.
So true. Laney's play does not get talked about enough. She carries the load until the rest of the Liberty players figure out their game, especially in that First Round.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Continuing his off-season analysis of teams, Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats now takes on the Dallas Wings.
Some Data Points right Up Front:

2024 draft picks: The Wings have two 2024 first-round picks, Chicago's from the Marina Mabrey trade and their own, which will be the No. 5 and No. 9 overall. Their second-round pick is going to Washington as part of the trade for Stephanie Soares, so their only other 2024 pick is their own third-rounder.

Free agents: Diamond DeShields (UFA), Odyssey Sims (UFA), Satou Sabally (RFA)

Under contract: Arike Ogunbowale, Natasha Howard, Teaira McCowan, Awak Kuier, Crystal Dangerfield, Veronica Burton, Maddy Siegrist, Lou Lopez Sénéchal

Dillon Take on Key Issues:

• Signing Restricted Free Agent Satou Sabally. She's a restricted free agent (RFA) and Wings could have right of refusal, but both sides look happy with each other and want to keep each other happy. That said...
  • Not that much money left for other needs if they sign Sabally, because Ogunbowale, Howard and McCowan all make healthy salaries.
  • Things to consider: Remember Stephanie Soares? Dallas has the rights to her. Does Dallas sign her adding to a very tall front court? Does she go back in the draft (Cohen says she can)? Or does Dallas try to free up some money by trading some of their "under contracts?"
  • Issue to concentrate on: Point guard. As discussed, Coach Trammel was alternating Crystal Dangerfield, Veronica Burton and Odyssey Sims during the playoffs -- not to a a highly desired effect. Sims is an UFA; the other two under contract. Does Greg Bibb move on from Sims and draft a point guard, say Georgia Amoore? Stay tuned.

Full article:

Reaction Score
This Finals as all of the excitement and story elements. Can Stewie bring New York a title. Young lady from the NY area brings a title to New York for the basketball crazed fans of that great city and state. That would be awesome. Sabrina, the player people love to hate. Not sure why but that is their own battle to deal with. But Sabrina is a joy to watch.

The Aces. The team folks seem to hate with a chance to repeat as champs. Can they learn from their losses to New York in the regular season? Will Plum find her shot and have one of those out of body games where she just hits shots from any spot? She is due for one of those games and series, which is scary (much like Sabrina). Will Chelsea Gray force shots? Will Kia dominate the paint? OMG so many elements to this WNBA Finals!!

I can't wait!

Reaction Score
Continuing his off-season analysis of teams, Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats now takes on the Dallas Wings.
Some Data Points right Up Front:

2024 draft picks: The Wings have two 2024 first-round picks, Chicago's from the Marina Mabrey trade and their own, which will be the No. 5 and No. 9 overall. Their second-round pick is going to Washington as part of the trade for Stephanie Soares, so their only other 2024 pick is their own third-rounder.

Free agents: Diamond DeShields (UFA), Odyssey Sims (UFA), Satou Sabally (RFA)

Under contract: Arike Ogunbowale, Natasha Howard, Teaira McCowan, Awak Kuier, Crystal Dangerfield, Veronica Burton, Maddy Siegrist, Lou Lopez Sénéchal

Dillon Take on Key Issues:

• Signing Restricted Free Agent Satou Sabally. She's a restricted free agent (RFA) and Wings could have right of refusal, but both sides look happy with each other and want to keep each other happy. That said...
  • Not that much money left for other needs if they sign Sabally, because Ogunbowale, Howard and McCowan all make healthy salaries.
  • Things to consider: Remember Stephanie Soares? Dallas has the rights to her. Does Dallas sign her adding to a very tall front court? Does she go back in the draft (Cohen says she can)? Or does Dallas try to free up some money by trading some of their "under contracts?"
  • Issue to concentrate on: Point guard. As discussed, Coach Trammel was alternating Crystal Dangerfield, Veronica Burton and Odyssey Sims during the playoffs -- not to a a highly desired effect. Sims is an UFA; the other two under contract. Does Greg Bibb move on from Sims and draft a point guard, say Georgia Amoore? Stay tuned.

Full article:
It would be interesting if they kept Soares. You mentioned the size advantaged, but I would be interested in how she is utilized within that Wing offense with so many scorers already. I would hate to see Soares not get playing time, provided she is 100%, and just sitting on the bench.

As for the point guard situation, I would stick with Dangerfield and Burton. Sims is a shoot first type of guard and with Arike and Natasha taking 60%-70% of the shots, not much for other players. Sims will have to adjust her game if she stays with the squad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Critical reason why NY is in the finals in my opinion. Her play this series doesn't get talked about enough.
It was Jones for them yesterday. If only she played like that in the post-season when she was on the Sun.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting if they kept Soares. You mentioned the size advantaged, but I would be interested in how she is utilized within that Wing offense with so many scorers already. I would hate to see Soares not get playing time, provided she is 100%, and just sitting on the bench.

As for the point guard situation, I would stick with Dangerfield and Burton. Sims is a shoot first type of guard and with Arike and Natasha taking 60%-70% of the shots, not much for other players. Sims will have to adjust her game if she stays with the squad.

Based on the timing of her unfortunate injury, Soares wasn't going to be an option this season. I'm under the assumption she's coming back next season, similar to what NY did with Sabally last year. Adding her into the mix with that roster will definitely make things interesting especially with her ability to shoot from beyond the 3 point line.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Now, for Richard Cohen's analysis in HerHoopStats on the other defeated semifinalist, the Connecticut Sun.
Here are some core facts on personnel:

Connecticut Sun forward Alyssa Thomas (25) brings the ball up the court as DeWanna Bonner (24) trails during the 2023 WNBA Playoff game between the Minnesota Lynx and the Connecticut Sun. Photo Credit: Chris Poss
2023 record: 27-13, defeated Minnesota 2-1 in first-round, eliminated 3-1 in semifinals by New York
2024 draft picks: The Sun have all their own 2024 draft picks, including a first-rounder that will be No. 10 overall, but no additional selections.
Free agents: DeWanna Bonner (uncoreable unrestricted free agent), Brionna Jones (UFA), Tiffany Hayes (UFA), Rebecca Allen (UFA), Bernadett Határ (Reserved)
Under contract: Alyssa Thomas, Natisha Hiedeman, Tyasha Harris, DiJonai Carrington, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Leigha Brown​

Some of my takeaways:
  • Right now, the Sun has nearly $812,000 in funds to fill out their 2024 roster. However, take a look above at why: DeWanna Bonner, Brionna Jones, Tiffany Hayes and Rebecca Allen are unrestricted free agents (and Bonner can't be cored).
  • Jones was playing awfully well before she ruptured her Achilles tendon. The article wonders if signing her to a big contract is worth it, given that it usually takes more than one year to recover from such injuries.
  • Long stories short: Will the Sun try to run back the same team that got 'em to the semi's? Or will they take a different approach? Is there another talent in the free agent market to take the place of a Bonner, Hayes or Allen? Of will they conduct some sign and trades?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Sun have been knocking on the door for forever. Some players have come and gone, maybe AT is the only one that has been there all along (an earlier version of the Sun were close even before her time, of course)? IMO, the one glaring thing holding them back is they've been lacking a Championship level PG. J. Thomas and January weren't good enough. Heideman isn't. Those are decent players who can do some things on the court, but like I said not Champ level PGs. Can they find that player to put them over the top?

Reaction Score
The Sun have been knocking on the door for forever. Some players have come and gone, maybe AT is the only one that has been there all along (an earlier version of the Sun were close even before her time, of course)? IMO, the one glaring thing holding them back is they've been lacking a Championship level PG. J. Thomas and January weren't good enough. Heideman isn't. Those are decent players who can do some things on the court, but like I said not Champ level PGs. Can they find that player to put them over the top?
If she doesn’t resign with Washington, the Sun should make a major push for Cloud. She’s a great fit for their defensive identity and would be a massive upgrade from Heideman, who is better suited as a bench player in the W and probably fills that role on any other team in the league.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think they were championship caliber in 2019 and 2021. 2019 they were 1 quarter from winning a title, and 2021 they had the horses but came up short.

To me it's more of a go to player issue than a PG issue, though having an elite level PG could be the difference. Jonquel Jones is a great specimen but I think she's best used as a 2nd or 3rd option, rather than someone you need to rely on to score 15-20 every night. She was streaky in the playoffs for the Sun and had a tendency to disappear offensively if it wasn't her night. In NY it seems like even if her scoring isn't there, there are other players (ex. Laney, Ionescu) that can help pick up the slack. It's tougher when your go to player just disappears.

AT is a stud but would be best paired with a great scorer IMO. I like Bonner a lot as a player but she's just not an efficient offensive player and has a tendency to take bad shots. Having B. Jones this year would've helped immensely, though even with her it's hard to compete against the likes of Vegas/NY. On NY Jonquel was the #4 scorer in the regular season, and for years she was #1 for Connecticut. Going up against that kind of talent was likely just too much to overcome even with Brionna Jones.

Reaction Score
I think they were championship caliber in 2019 and 2021. 2019 they were 1 quarter from winning a title, and 2021 they had the horses but came up short.

To me it's more of a go to player issue than a PG issue, though having an elite level PG could be the difference. Jonquel Jones is a great specimen but I think she's best used as a 2nd or 3rd option, rather than someone you need to rely on to score 15-20 every night. She was streaky in the playoffs for the Sun and had a tendency to disappear offensively if it wasn't her night. In NY it seems like even if her scoring isn't there, there are other players (ex. Laney, Ionescu) that can help pick up the slack. It's tougher when your go to player just disappears.

AT is a stud but would be best paired with a great scorer IMO. I like Bonner a lot as a player but she's just not an efficient offensive player and has a tendency to take bad shots. Having B. Jones this year would've helped immensely, though even with her it's hard to compete against the likes of Vegas/NY. On NY Jonquel was the #4 scorer in the regular season, and for years she was #1 for Connecticut. Going up against that kind of talent was likely just too much to overcome even with Brionna Jones.
What people forget JJ, Sloot and Stewie have played together more than 1 year overseas.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Now, for Richard Cohen's analysis in HerHoopStats on the other defeated semifinalist, the Connecticut Sun.
Here are some core facts on personnel:

Connecticut Sun forward Alyssa Thomas (25) brings the ball up the court as DeWanna Bonner (24) trails during the 2023 WNBA Playoff game between the Minnesota Lynx and the Connecticut Sun. Photo Credit: Chris Poss
2023 record: 27-13, defeated Minnesota 2-1 in first-round, eliminated 3-1 in semifinals by New York
2024 draft picks: The Sun have all their own 2024 draft picks, including a first-rounder that will be No. 10 overall, but no additional selections.
Free agents: DeWanna Bonner (uncoreable unrestricted free agent), Brionna Jones (UFA), Tiffany Hayes (UFA), Rebecca Allen (UFA), Bernadett Határ (Reserved)
Under contract:Alyssa Thomas, Natisha Hiedeman, Tyasha Harris, DiJonai Carrington, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Leigha Brown

Some of my takeaways:
  • Right now, the Sun has nearly $812,000 in funds to fill out their 2024 roster. However, take a look above at why: DeWanna Bonner, Brionna Jones, Tiffany Hayes and Rebecca Allen are unrestricted free agents (and Bonner can't be cored).
  • Jones was playing awfully well before she ruptured her Achilles tendon. The article wonders if signing her to a big contract is worth it, given that it usually takes more than one year to recover from such injuries.
  • Long stories short: Will the Sun try to run back the same team that got 'em to the semi's? Or will they take a different approach? Is there another talent in the free agent market to take the place of a Bonner, Hayes or Allen? Of will they conduct some sign and trades?

I think the Sun resign Bonner (who is engaged to AT) and give Jones a big pay day again. Even with the achilles tear, she was playing tremendously well and gives them a great post option inside. Also, Stewart came back from an achilles injury and tore up the league in 2020 showing no signs of previous injury. Jones has been healthy aside from this injury so I think it's worth the gamble. Hayes would also be a great player to keep if it makes sense. I'm not as high on Rebecca Allen. Landing a top PG in the offseason would be huge but there really aren't many elite level PGs in the pros now outside of Gray/Vandersloot/Cloud IMO. I suppose they could make a push for Canada but I don't see her at that level.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well on the subject of PGs, going back to 2009 every WNBA Champ except one had Bird, Whalen, Gray, Sloot, Taurasi (I know, sometimes more a 2G than PG) or Cloud, and this year will be either Gray or Sloot again. Very few of those players were selected as MOP for the playoffs, but it appears you have to have a premier guard to win a Title.

Anyway Hiedeman isn't a PG at all, she's a small 2G. Career average of 2.4 apg. Hasn't cracked double digit scoring average yet in her career. They'd really be well advised to upgrade at that position.

Reaction Score

I'm biased because I'm a Gamecock fan, but I think Ty Harris has starter potential at PG. I think she has some issues where she needs to be more aggressive on offense and look for her shot instead of being a secondary or bail out option. But other than that, she has shown promise. She looks to get her teammates in position and she has a killer 3-pointer. She really stepped up when AT went out of the game during game 4 against the Liberty -- I just wish she played with that same aggression every time she stepped on the floor.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The rub with the CT Sun is that they are always so close, it's hard to justify rocking the boat too much. Against the Liberty, CT dominated game 1, and were THIS CLOSE to winning game 2 and game 4 (game 3 they let slip away in the first quarter). Does just having a healthy B. Jones change the equation in these games? So hard to know, but they did everything they did this year without an all star center.

On the issue of the PG slot...if Ty Harris continues to improve as rapidly as she did this past offseason, perhaps she can become a stud at the 1 that gets CT over the hump. Or maybe they just need to be lucky and have another team get the injury bug for once.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
When she plays within herself she is the missing piece.
The game they lost she had 3 turnovers and 1 basket.
That is not her type of game.
Great defense and usually fills the stat sheet.
I believe the Liberty are now 21-2 (regular season + playoffs) when Laney scores at least 14 points. When the Liberty/Laney unlocked how to best use her on offense, they became so much more dynamic, because now it becomes so much harder to double team Stewart or Jones while also denying Ionescu from the 3-pt line. There are no good choices for a defense to make, and for most of the season, NY has been ruthless about finding the very best shot a defense will give them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Or maybe they just need to be lucky and have another team get the injury bug for once.
Plenty of other teams have had injuries to key players to deal with in recent years, which might have been title contenders if healthy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm biased because I'm a Gamecock fan, but I think Ty Harris has starter potential at PG. I think she has some issues where she needs to be more aggressive on offense and look for her shot instead of being a secondary or bail out option. But other than that, she has shown promise. She looks to get her teammates in position and she has a killer 3-pointer. She really stepped up when AT went out of the game during game 4 against the Liberty -- I just wish she played with that same aggression every time she stepped on the floor.

Interestingly, Ty has made herself into an elite shooter. If she has a big season wherever she is playing this winter, she could come back as a high-caliber player.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Plenty of other teams have had injuries to key players to deal with in recent years, which might have been title contenders if healthy.
True, but all of the actual WNBA Champions have had their full teams relatively healthy (The Aces might prove to be the exception to the rule, though the core 4 that won the title last year is still playing at elite levels). The Sun seem to lose an elite starter nearly every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom