WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 40 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Liberty looked really good at times in the series against the Sun. Connecticut also won Game 1 of that series fairly convincingly. This is a long way from over.
I'm surprised there's been virtually no mention of Jonquel Jones on this thread since this series was confirmed. She has been the Liberty's best player in the playoffs (other than Laney, perhaps) and her first half was the reason the Liberty were in the game. She was quiet in the second half but I'll lay that on her teammates, and improved D in the paint by the Aces.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You're putting too much emphasis on this one game. In the last month of the WNBA regular season the Liberty lost 2 games and the Aces lost 3. The Liberty lost the first game to the Sun and then swept them. But I do agree that Sabrina HAS to score more than 7 points for them to have a chance. Young is streaky and will not hit 26 points all the time.
Could you explain how Jackie Young is streaky?
  • Shooting wise, she averaged 52% from the floor (overall), 45% from three-pt. land and 87% from the FT line, or a mere 3 pct. points from the vaunted 50-40-90 line of excellence.
  • The only thing I'll grant you is that she needs to be reminded of that and shoot more often. She's averaged 11.9 shots per game. On Sunday, she took 15 and hit 9. The percentages might come down a bit but not because she's a streaky shooter. She's not.
  • Young hasn’t scored less than 15 points in any of the matchups against New York thus far. The Liberty would probably take a drop to the teens, but it won't be because Young will do it for them. The LIberty will have to take something away and, in doing so, give another Ace some daylight. Becomes a "Pick your poison" situation.

I picked Young as the player to watch on the Aces, in part, because she's so consistent. Also, she's a very strong player and won't wear down in a 7-game series.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Johannes' insane shooting in the first half had more to do with that than Jones, although JJ did get off to a quick start.
Good point, nwhoopfan... both were in double figures, and Johannes' three-pointers were crazy shots, except she makes those. JJ also was dominating the boards other than those grabbed by A'ja and Stewie.

Reaction Score
Could you explain how Jackie Young is streaky?
  • Shooting wise, she averaged 52% from the floor (overall), 45% from three-pt. land and 87% from the FT line, or a mere 3 pct. points from the vaunted 50-40-90 line of excellence.
  • The only thing I'll grant you is that she needs to be reminded of that and shoot more often. She's averaged 11.9 shot per game. On Sunday, she took 15 and hit 9. Ther percentages might come down a bit but not because she's a streaky shooter. She's not.

I picked Young as the player to watch on the Aces, in part, because she's so consistent. Also, she's a very strong player and won't wear down in a 7-game series.
And it might be that Jackie played ball in South Bend, Dillon?;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And it might be that Jackie played ball in South Bend, Dillon?;)
I'll (hopefully)take the emoji at face value, Deac!

No, it has nothing to do with that at all because Jackie was a great scorer long before she got to ND. In fact, she's still the leading scorer in Indiana HS history.

Heck at ND, one of Jackie's teammates believed (and still does) that if it's a new day, then it's time to hoist up 20 shots. If anything, playing with Arike -- said teammate -- and Marina has probably made Young hold back from shooting as much as she should.

(BTW, now that I think of it, what is the "it" you're referring to? ;))

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll (hopefully)take the emoji at face value, Deac!

No, it has nothing to do with that at all because Jackie was a great scorer long before she got to ND. In fact, she's still the leading scorer in Indiana HS history.

Heck at ND, one of Jackie's teammates believed (and still does) that if it's a new day, then it's time to hoist up 20 shots. If anything, playing with Arike -- said teammate -- and Marina has probably made Young hold back from shooting as much as she should.

(BTW, now that I think of it, what is the "it" you're referring to? ;))
'It?' Just gentle ribbing 'cause you're defending one of your Irish products (Oh, how I wish Wake Forest had even one player of that caliber).

I'm definitely with you about Jackie's college teammates. I remember a few WNBA seasons ago when KLS was trying to develop her pro game in Dallas and was stuck watching Arika and Marina take turns firing up shot after shot. In retrospect, I feel for Jackie she had to endure that in college, and thankful Becky Hammond has somehow managed to convince Young of the great young player she is.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
'It?' Just gentle ribbing 'cause you're defending one of your Irish products (Oh, how I wish Wake Forest had even one player of that caliber).

I'm definitely with you about Jackie's college teammates. I remember a few WNBA seasons ago when KLS was trying to develop her pro game in Dallas and was stuck watching Arika and Marina take turns firing up shot after shot. In retrospect, I feel for Jackie she had to endure that in college, and thankful Becky Hammond has somehow managed to convince Young of the great young player she is.
There is a certain Descartian-logic to Arike: "I shoot, therefore I am."

However, Mabrey adapted her game for the sake/to the benefit of her ND team. Remember, she volunteered to take over lead guard responsibilities when ND lost its point guards to injury. (Jackie helped her.). While that cut down on her scoring that season, it probably started a curve where Mabrey improved her all-round game to get into the pro's (where she continues to work on her three-level scoring).

Still, of the three ND NC guards, Young is the most well-rounded and selfless (as Coach Hammon says, "I can't get mad at the girl.").

BTW, you had a very good player -- Jewel Spear --at Wake but she bailed to Tennessee. That ticked me off....(Son #2 of mine went to Wake, so I'm a fan, too.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm surprised there's been virtually no mention of Jonquel Jones on this thread since this series was confirmed. She has been the Liberty's best player in the playoffs (other than Laney, perhaps) and her first half was the reason the Liberty were in the game. She was quiet in the second half but I'll lay that on her teammates, and improved D in the paint by the Aces.
JJ and Johannes in that first half were unstoppable. I am looking forward to seeing the adjustments these teams make for Game 2.

Reaction Score

However, Mabrey adapted her game for the sake/to the benefit of her ND team. Remember, she volunteered to take over lead guard responsibilities when ND lost its point guards to injury. (Jackie helped her.). While that cut down on her scoring that season, it probably started a curve where Mabrey improved her all-round game to get into the pro's (where she continues to work on her three-level scoring).

Still, of the three ND NC guards, Young is the most well-rounded and selfless (as Coach Hammon says, "I can't get mad at the girl.").

BTW, you had a very good player -- Jewel Spear --at Wake but she bailed to Tennessee. That ticked me off....(Son #2 of mine went to Wake, so I'm a fan, too.)
Quality tandem of schools for your kids... ND and Wake.

I will agree Jewel was a good player for the Deacs, and authored some memorable games. However, likely because there were few scoring alternatives, she developed an Arike-like penchant for volume shooting last season. I wish her well with Tennessee, as long as it doesn't help the Vols win more games.

Dillon, I must admit yours is the first Descartes usage I've seen here.:cool:

P.S. Just 'cause I should know better, apologies for the 'Arika' and 'Hammond' references above. I get on BYers about spelling... those are bad mistakes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

"I shoot, therefore I am." Tres intelligent! :D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Seeing posts that Teresa Weatherspoon is close to signing a deal to be the new Sky coach. Happy to see her get a head coaching job after her time with the Pelicans.

Now who do they have targeted as a GM?
I certainly can see her ramping up the intensity on the defensive side of the ledger, that's for sure.
Here's an ESPNw article on the probable hire:

Like you, I'm very interested to see whom they bring in as general manager. There's some work to be done there, with players such as Courtney Williams and Alanna Smith entering free agency.

Reaction Score
I certainly can see her ramping up the intensity on the defensive side of the ledger, that's for sure.
Here's an ESPNw article on the probable hire:

Like you, I'm very interested to see whom they bring in as general manager. There's some work to be done there, with players such as Courtney Williams and Alanna Smith entering free agency.
Agreed re GM. Impression is that Wade didn't leave them in a great situation, but I'm not a salary capologist by any means.

Reaction Score
Seeing posts that Teresa Weatherspoon is close to signing a deal to be the new Sky coach. Happy to see her get a head coaching job after her time with the Pelicans.

Now who do they have targeted as a GM?
I hope that Chicago is looking for a solid GM. I wonder if Jerry West would be interested in coming on board to help out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I hope that Chicago is looking for a solid GM. I wonder if Jerry West would be interested in coming on board to help out.
Or, if there's a person working in the front office of Las Vegas and/or New York that the Sky might interview after the finals.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, benches emptied so we'll call it over. Yet again the Aces guards just killed the Liberty. I can't believe how lopsided the matchup has been between the trio from each team. Sloot was just completely ineffective today, Ionescu no showed, Laney had some flashes but not a particularly good game. Jones had a monster second quarter, but overall there just wasn't any fight in NY. Was expecting a bounce back, but they were even worse in Game 2 than Game 1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wilson with a monster game. For much of her career Young in the playoffs has not been the same player as the regular season, but she's been fantastic in this series. Gray was putting on a clinic with her passing. How 'bout Plum w/ 23 points/8 assists/3 steals. Stokes even got in on the scoring early w/ a pair of 3s and 8 points.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Vegas jumped out to a 22 point 1st quarter lead. NY whittled it all the way down to what, 5 in Q2? That was almost all JJ. But then Vegas immediately stretched an 8 point halftime lead out in Q3 and there was never any response in the second half from the Lib. I'm just stunned by their performance. Did the series against the Sun wear them out? How can this be explained?

Reaction Score
Vegas jumped out to a 22 point 1st quarter lead. NY whittled it all the way down to what, 5 in Q2? That was almost all JJ. But then Vegas immediately stretched an 8 point halftime lead out in Q3 and there was never any response in the second half from the Lib. I'm just stunned by their performance. Did the series against the Sun wear them out? How can this be explained?
They’ve been playing poorly since the end of the regular season, this isn’t a surprise to me.

Reaction Score
I think the Aces’ three guards legitimately may be the three best guards in the league. I won’t get into the overall debate but Wilson has pretty clearly been the best player in the WNBA for the past two months.

Not over for New York but can’t see Aces losing three straight.

Reaction Score
Looks like experience vs pure talent. NY has the pieces to give the Aces trouble but I don't think it's properly utilized. Sabrina and Sloot are liabilities on defense and the Aces aren't allowing them to get off easily offensively like most teams have done all season.

It also doesn't help that Stewie has not been efficient for most of the playoffs. I still think her shooting and her teammates shooting has suffered from shooting in hopes of a call over just shooting to score.

NY still isn't out of it, the Aces haven't won in NY all season so they still have that going for them. The Liberty still is the most talented team with the deeper bench but they have to play some defense and get some grit soon or this is looking like a sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom