WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 29 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I also consider them 1a and 1b. They will be the core of Team USA for another decade or so.
They are both bigs in their late twenties. They both have maybe 3-5 years left in their prime before the athleticism that gives them both a big advantage starts to fall off a cliff. They'll definitely be the core of the 2024 Olympics but they'll both legacy additions in 2028 with a new crop of a talent being the core. I don't see either playing after 35 fwiw.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They are both bigs in their late twenties. They both have maybe 3-5 years left in their prime before the athleticism that gives them both a big advantage starts to fall off a cliff. They'll definitely be the core of the 2024 Olympics but they'll both legacy additions in 2028 with a new crop of a talent being the core. I don't see either playing after 35 fwiw.
I get the gist of what you're saying, but I'll nit pick a little with your projections.
Wilson just turned 27 (August) and will be 28 at this time next year when she heads to Paris. Four years after that in 2028-- at the next Olympics -- she'll be 32. In this day and age with advancing knowledge on how to stay in playing shape for longer periods of time, I think she'll be just fine. If she's gong to be a legacy, that will be in 2032. She'll be 36. I don't know how old you are, but I look forward to being able for both of us to debate "I told you so" at that time. ;)

BTW, Stewie -- also born in August -- is two years older than A'ja. I think she'll be good in 2024 and 2028, too (and not on the legacy card). The one after that? Hmm.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
They Dream did go from 14-22 to 19-21 this year (and made the playoffs for first time since 2018). Adding A. Gray was tremendous for the team, and from the outside, the players seem super tight. Wright did make a comment about a month ago that the team needs to "mature"--and as Dillon noted, they need to get bigger if they're going to compete with a team like Dallas.

TBH, if they have money to give to Kalani Brown, they should see if she'll take it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The L.A. Olympics are only 5 years away. Stewie will turn 34 that summer and A'ja will turn 32. I think they are still the core in 2028, but maybe not 2030.

Reaction Score
They Dream did go from 14-22 to 19-21 this year (and made the playoffs for first time since 2018). Adding A. Gray was tremendous for the team, and from the outside, the players seem super tight. Wright did make a comment about a month ago that the team needs to "mature"--and as Dillon noted, they need to get bigger if they're going to compete with a team like Dallas.

TBH, if they have money to give to Kalani Brown, they should see if she'll take it.
I think the shipped has sailed with Kalani. She was a part of that 2021 team with all the drama and they previously dropped her. She made some comment following their win on Twitter that makes me believe she still has bad blood for the organization.

Overall I do think that Atlanta is trending in the right direction after making the playoffs for the first time in about 5 years. I think roster construction and coaching are the biggest issues going. I trust Dan Padover to fix the roster construction, as for coaching I believe it leaves a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
I get the gist of what you're saying, but I'll nit pick a little with your projections.
Wilson just turned 27 (August) and will be 28 at this time next year when she heads to Paris. Four years after that in 2028-- at the next Olympics -- she'll be 32. In this day and age with advancing knowledge on how to stay in playing shape for longer periods of time, I think she'll be just fine. If she's gong to be a legacy, that will be in 2032. She'll be 36. I don't know how old you are, but I look forward to being able for both of us to debate "I told you so" at that time. ;)

BTW, Stewie -- also born in August -- is two years older than A'ja. I think she'll be good in 2024 and 2028, too (and not on the legacy card). The one after that? Hmm.
I'd expect a pretty steep decline from both her and Stewie post 30, they'll still be great but I don't think they'll be competing for MVPs too much longer. That's what I mean by legacy, still contributors to the team but no longer the stars or focal points. Advance knowledge of playing shape and being able to play longer won't help the step they'll both lose pretty quickly post 30, age is undefeated after all. Swin Cash has spoken about it as a player in the WNBA and also as a current development scout for the NBA. It effects bigs much more than guards because guards can still control a game outside their athleticism.

So with your math, maybe 3 more peak years from A'ja and one more from Stewie.

Reaction Score
I'd expect a pretty steep decline from both her and Stewie post 30, they'll still be great but I don't think they'll be competing for MVPs too much longer. That's what I mean by legacy, still contributors to the team but no longer the stars or focal points. Advance knowledge of playing shape and being able to play longer won't help the step they'll both lose pretty quickly post 30, age is undefeated after all. Swin Cash has spoken about it as a player in the WNBA and also as a current development scout for the NBA. It effects bigs much more than guards because guards can still control a game outside their athleticism.

Great point. This is evident with Sue and Syl retiring together; Sue was drafted in 2002, Syl in 2008.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Um. Leslie played 12 years, with the same amount of productivity throughout. Fowles played 15 years, also maintaining her productivity. Both are taller than Stewart. Neither are as versatile and play as much time on the perimeter.

If Stewart “only” lasts as long as Leslie she’s got four more peak years. If she lasts as long as Fowles she has seven more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Phee had 31, but her teammates had only 44. Connecticut was much better, especially Thomas (28/6/12) and Bonner (25/10/6). In addition, Ty Harris, who has turned into a sharpshooter (46% from the arc for the season), had 18 off the bench. Connecticut wins by 90-75. They get Stew York next.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, Phee had 31, but her teammates had only 44. Connecticut was much better, especially Thomas (28/6/12) and Bonner (25/10/6). In addition, Ty Harris, who has turned into a sharpshooter (46% from the arc for the season), had 18 off the bench. Connecticut wins by 90-75. They get Stew York next.
Phee will be in the mix for USA Basketball. She had a terrific season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Phee will be in the mix for USA Basketball. She had a terrific season.
Totally agree. Her ability to score at multiple levels (ranges) will give the U.S.A. team an extremely versatile player.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Emre Vatansever Out as GM and Head Coach of Chicago Sky.

• Position will be split going forward.
  • Senior Management, not Vatansever, negotiated Kahleah Copper's two-year extension. She wanted -- and supposedly got -- information on the team's plans going forward. It was she who announced the job split, not management.
  • Sky have supposedly drawn up a list of potential coaches, including -- but not limited to -- Teresa Witherspoon.

Here's an article by Annie Costabile, the Chicago Sun-Times reporter who is the Sky beat reporter.

Reaction Score
I gotta tip my hat to Connecticut and their players. They played like they wanted to win and it showed. My beloved Minnesota Lynx. We made the playoffs and we didn't get swept. Phee balled her butt off out there. They rest of the team. Just wasn't not their night. Going to be interesting off season.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Emre Vatansever Out as GM and Head Coach of Chicago Sky.

• Position will be split going forward.
  • Senior Management, not Vatansever, negotiated Kahleah Copper's two-year extension. She wanted -- and supposedly got -- information on the team's plans going forward. It was she who announced the job split, not management.
  • Sky have supposedly drawn up a list of potential coaches, including -- but not limited to -- Teresa Witherspoon.

Here's an article by Annie Costabile, the Chicago Sun-Times reporter who is the Sky beat reporter.

Will be interesting to see what the Sky do in the offseason. They gave up their first round draft pick this year to get Mabrey, so they were highly incentivized to get to the playoffs. The Copper/Williams/Mabrey guard/wing trio is super dynamic and fun to watch, and A. Smith showed she can be a contributor at the WNBA level, but they just didn't have the talent to compete with the elite teams. Getting Isabelle Harrison and Rebekkah Gardner back from injury will help, but they're not "Game changers" that get you competing for a title.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sun played like the pros they are and won easily. It's really been a great season considering their off-season. Looks like they're a bit outgunned but that's why they play the games.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what the Sky do in the offseason. They gave up their first round draft pick this year to get Mabrey, so they were highly incentivized to get to the playoffs. The Copper/Williams/Mabrey guard/wing trio is super dynamic and fun to watch, and A. Smith showed she can be a contributor at the WNBA level, but they just didn't have the talent to compete with the elite teams. Getting Isabelle Harrison and Rebekkah Gardner back from injury will help, but they're not "Game changers" that get you competing for a title.
Yup, the new General Manager will have to make a few major decisions.
  • First, I agree that the backcourt is pretty dynamic and would be even better in year 2, but......Courtney Williams is an unrestricted free agent. She had a good year, especially with the revival of her three-pt. shooting, so she could draw interest.
  • Also, super steal and very improved Allana Smith is an UFA, as well.

If one brings Williams, Smith back -- along with the return of Gardner and Izzy Harrison -- is that enough to take another step up?
Or, be mired as first-round exits?

Or....

Do you sign either Williams or Smith and spend the rest on a big contract?
  • For instance, go slightly younger and sign Jordin Canada to run with Copper and Mabrey? Or go with proven experience, such as Cloud or Diggins-Smith (who is from nearby South Bend)? And sign Smith.
  • Or, wrap up Morgan Bertsch, who is reserved and was also playing well before she was injured, and pair her with an improving Sike Kone? You could resign Williams and get someone else, to boot.

Will be interesting, for sure.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Her Hoops Stats Takes a Look at Off-Season Challenges for Washington Mystics

Exec. Summary:

Free agents: Elena Delle Donne (UFA), Natasha Cloud (UFA), Kristi Toliver (UFA), Tianna Hawkins (UFA), Li Meng (Reserved)

Under contract: Ariel Atkins, Brittney Sykes, Myisha Hines-Allen, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Shakira Austin, Queen Egbo

Richad Cohen goes into detail via this link:

Reaction Score
Yup, the new General Manager will have to make a few major decisions.
  • First, I agree that the backcourt is pretty dynamic and would be even better in year 2, but......Courtney Williams is an unrestricted free agent. She had a good year, especially with the revival of her three-pt. shooting, so she could draw interest.
  • Also, super steal and very improved Allana Smith is an UFA, as well.

If one brings Williams, Smith back -- along with the return of Gardner and Izzy Harrison -- is that enough to take another step up?
Or, be mired as first-round exits?

Or....

Do you sign either Williams or Smith and spend the rest on a big contract?
  • For instance, go slightly younger and sign Jordin Canada to run with Copper and Mabrey? Or go with proven experience, such as Cloud or Diggins-Smith (who is from nearby South Bend)? And sign Smith.
  • Or, wrap up Morgan Bertsch, who is reserved and was also playing well before she was injured, and pair her with an improving Sike Kone? You could resign Williams and get someone else, to boot.

Will be interesting, for sure.
I like your thoughts here. I actually forgot about Diggins-Smith...she could really help a team take a nice jump For the Sky specifically, I feel like they need a little bit more umph and consistency in the post. I think defensively they are OK there but it felt like the guards had to carry them offensively. Between the offseason market and who ends up declaring for the draft, I agree this will be very interesting!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sabally was named Most Improved Player yesterday, and Wilson got another Defensive Player of the Year award today.

All defensive first team Wilson, A. Thomas, Stewie, Sykes and Canada. Second team Laney, Nneka, Collier, Magbegor and E. Williams.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This is not a problem just with the WNBA, but the fact that 7/10 all defense selections are post players shows the huge gap in voters being able to evaluate perimeter defense (and the result of the league not having position requirements anymore for these teams).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom