WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 31 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Liberty will still win the series. Sun always lose when it matters most.
But that's when they had Jonquel Jones. The Sun can win if they keep making 3's.

Reaction Score
Rumor is Stewie has won MVP

And it was first reported by a group known as “The Committee”, who quite literally can’t stand Stewie’s (and pretty much any UConn alum/fan’s) guts. Tomorrow should be interesting to say the least.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hmm. I thought Phoenix underachieved for the most part during Brondello's tenure given their talent. Now she's coaching NY. I didn't see any kind of adjustments for the Liberty during the second half when the Sun were running away with the game. Granted the players have to execute and hit shots, but it certainly wasn't a coaching gem.
1 bad game in a 5 game series I won’t hold against Brondello. New York has improved significantly over the course of the season and Stewart isn't going to stay cold the entire series.

Reaction Score
She would've been my third pick after A'ja and AT but I wont complain based on regular season. Stewart put up career highs in points/assists and was the main reason why NY went 32-8. Any of the 3 would make a great MVP.

Agreed, but I'm interested in what the voter breakdown will look like when this is all said and done. If it's a runaway for Stewart, I'll be scratching my head. If it's a mix and somewhat close, then we know voters were paying attention.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Her Hoops Stats Takes a Look at Atlanta Dream's Off-Season Challenges

2024 draft picks:
The Dream have all of their own 2024 picks, including a first-rounder that will be No. 8 overall.

Free agents: Danielle Robinson (UFA), Monique Billings (UFA), Nia Coffey (UFA), AD Durr (RFA)

Under contract: Cheyenne Parker, Allisha Gray, Aari McDonald, Rhyne Howard, Iliana Rupert, Haley Jones, Laeticia Amihere, Naz Hillmon

Exec. Summary: Richard Cohen, like many of us, think Atlanta has made considerable progress, but they need something more.
  • Good news: Their three all stars: Rhyne Howard, Allisha Gray and Cheyanne Parker are back. They have $600,000+ to spend, so they can get a player.
  • ??? What position will they try to fortify? Gray and Howard are more wings, but can co-exist.
  • Dillon's druthers: I think they could use a top-flight point guard (Robinson and McDonald are catalyst-type players off the bench) and could really use some more presence in the paint. Do they make a run at a Jonquel Jones. Or one of the other Jones? Augment that signing with another big in the draft.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I'm interested in what the voter breakdown will look like when this is all said and done. If it's a runaway for Stewart, I'll be scratching my head. If it's a mix and somewhat close, then we know voters were paying attention.
Same here. If Stewie is the MVP, which nothing is wrong with that, I will be curious to see the voting breakdown if they post it.

Reaction Score
Same here. If Stewie is the MVP, which nothing is wrong with that, I will be curious to see the voting breakdown if they post it.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with Stewart winning. She's just as deserving as Thomas and Wilson.

A close vote though tells me that the voters saw what a lot of us on the board saw.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Her Hoops Stats Takes a Look at Atlanta Dream's Off-Season Challenges

2024 draft picks:
The Dream have all of their own 2024 picks, including a first-rounder that will be No. 8 overall.

Free agents: Danielle Robinson (UFA), Monique Billings (UFA), Nia Coffey (UFA), AD Durr (RFA)

Under contract: Cheyenne Parker, Allisha Gray, Aari McDonald, Rhyne Howard, Iliana Rupert, Haley Jones, Laeticia Amihere, Naz Hillmon

Exec. Summary: Richard Cohen, like many of us, think Atlanta has made considerable progress, but they need something more.
  • Good news: Their three all stars: Rhyne Howard, Allisha Gray and Cheyanne Parker are back. They have $600,000+ to spend, so they can get a player.
  • ??? What position will they try to fortify? Gray and Howard are more wings, but can co-exist.
  • Dillon's druthers: I think they could use a top-flight point guard (Robinson and McDonald are catalyst-type players off the bench) and could really use some more presence in the paint. Do they make a run at a Jonquel Jones. Or one of the other Jones? Augment that signing with another big in the draft.

Or Jordin Canada at the PG spot?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Voting Breakdown:
Stewart: 20 first place votes
Thomas: 23 first place votes
Wilson: 17 first place votes

Only the 2nd time ever an MVP didn't have the most 1st place votes.

Overall points:
Stewart: 446
Thomas: 439
Wilson: 433

All 60 voters voted for Thomas/Stewart/Wilson as their top 3. Very close race. Congrats to Stewart on a well deserved 2nd MVP.

Reaction Score
Voting Breakdown:

Overall points:

All 60 voters voted for Thomas/Stewart/Wilson as their top 3. Very close race. Congrats to Stewart on a well deserved 2nd MVP.

Wow. Definitely a close race and glad to see it was. Also great for the game because it shows how deep the pool of talent was for this award.

Reaction Score
Voting Breakdown:

Overall points:

Actually i saw chelsea grey got a third place vote giving wilson a fourth place vote

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Agreed. Nothing wrong with Stewart winning. She's just as deserving as Thomas and Wilson.

A close vote though tells me that the voters saw what a lot of us on the board saw.
That would be a solid way to go. Cohen noted that the three returning all-stars range from just past 30 (Parker) to older 20's (Gray) to younger 20's (Howard). Canada would be in her mid-20's and be, theoretically, in her prime.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Voting Breakdown:

Overall points:

Here's an ESPNw article that goes into more detail for those that want to delve into it.

Congrats to Stewie for her 2nd MVP, but also to Thomas and Wilson for exemplary seasons.
As noted, overall the league wins by having three such outstanding performances turned in by leaders of top teams.

And, looking forward, the U.S.A. National team sure has three terrific frontcourt players to -- knock on wood -- count on in 2024.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's an ESPNw article that goes into more detail for those that deserve it.
Congrats to Stewie for her 2nd MVP, but also to Thomas and Wilson for exemplary seasons.
As noted, overall the league wins by having three such outstanding performances turned in by leaders of top teams.

And, looking forward, the U.S.A. National team sure has three terrific frontcourt players to -- knock on wood -- count on in 2024.

This is a big deal for a league looking to expand their recognition:

"As noted, overall the league wins by having three such outstanding performances turned in by leaders of top teams."

Stewie had a record FOUR 40-point games and set personal highs, AT had a record number of triple-doubles and led the league in both total rebounds and total assists, and A'ja had consistently insane numbers, including a 53-piece, and won DPOY again. I thought this was probably the best season in WNBA history.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Pretty sure K-Mac signed with Fenerbahce for the 2020-21 season and has been there since. Losing Iaguopova hurts, for sure, but getting 'Phee to join Stewie, Emma, etc. Whew!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle gave Quinn a multi year extension. I didn't see details, so I'm not sure what year her contract runs through.

And they promoted Pokey Chatman to Associate GM.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Stewie is going to get the Michael Jordan treatment tonight. You just look at her and the refs are going to blow the whistle. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom