WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 33 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A number of folks who contribute to this thread agree with you.
I read somewhere that the Commissioner also visited and talked to Denver investors. Nugget interest/involvement?

Reaction Score
My bias for a team in Toronto or Canada is well known on this board. Toronto proved there is a demand for women's basketball and definitely has the infrastructure to handle it (arenas, practice facilities in etc.). The challenge will be the exchange rate and taxes, although the Raptors have shown they can attract talent even with those detractors.

Oakland and Denver are great options for WNBA teams too. Denver has shown to be great supporters of basketball in general. Oakland with Golden State there as well just seems like a no brainer.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did it hurt the league when Minnesota was winning the Championship every other year? The Lynx were pretty close to a super team.

Is it hurting the league when Connecticut is in the semis or finals pretty much every year? Probably wouldn't describe them as a super team, but they always seem to be a contender.

To answer the question, we'll have to wait and see. I have serious doubts these teams are going to be able to keep their nucleus together for an extended period of time, so I can't really see it being only New York and Las Vegas battling for titles for the next 5+ years.

I think that the Minnesota starting 5 for the second half of their run will all make the Hall of Fame. Counting Parker, the same could be true for Las Vegas. Having four #1 overall picks really helps. Until someone of their core 4 gets old or leaves, they are the team to beat.

Reaction Score
Did it hurt the league when Minnesota was winning the Championship every other year? The Lynx were pretty close to a super team.

Is it hurting the league when Connecticut is in the semis or finals pretty much every year? Probably wouldn't describe them as a super team, but they always seem to be a contender.

To answer the question, we'll have to wait and see. I have serious doubts these teams are going to be able to keep their nucleus together for an extended period of time, so I can't really see it being only New York and Las Vegas battling for titles for the next 5+ years.
I think the fact there are two super teams in the league will add interest and more views. It'll help amp up a rivalry and get the media talking. Super teams are only a problem if there is a giant gap between the #1 team and the rest of the league. It's fun for a season but people get bored when there is no tension or storylines. I don't think that is the case with the current WNBA. There are good enough teams in the league to knock off NY and LV, though unlikely. The gap is close enough for the David/Goliath storylines to seem within reach.

I feel like we hear this kind of story all the time through different mediums. I remember the same question came up in regards to Ken Jennings run on Jeopardy and it had the opposite effect. If anything, it drove excitement. The same thing can be stated with the Golden State run and Alabama title runs in college football. The hype comes from the dreams of downing the giant.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas is one of the best defenders in the world and is giving Stewie fits. But even so, you got to think the law of averages would mean Stewie is going to start to hit some shots. Through 4 playoff games she's shooting 27.8%FG, and 9.5% 3-pt FG (versus 46.5%FG and 35.5% 3pt FG in regular season).
AT understands angles and spacing. She could & should teach a defensive clinic.

Reaction Score
The WNBA had a super team when it started. The Houston Comets. They domionated for the first few years with the 2 bast players (Or 2 of the best). The media seemed to love that. Not sure the fans did though. I don't think the WNBA will ever make big money regardless of what the competition is like.
Looking back on that Houston Comets era, they had a stacked roster and now we would consider them a "super team" but if you watched their games, especially their first year, nobody really thought of them as a "super team". Year 2, definitely. Year 3, definitely. Year 4, maybe. Swoopes wasn't really "Swoopes" in that first year. Year 2, definitely. Tina Thompson, in that first year, she was like Swoopes in that progression. Cooper. My word! She was that LADY!! I think playing overseas helped her develop that attack mindset. That "I am on going for it all & I don't have nothing to lose" mindset.

Reaction Score
Thomas deserved it. She's not part of a super team and put up numbers that compete with the other two. It's amazing that Connecticut won all the games they did considering the losses they suffered in the off-season.
I think Connecticut is the definition of when a team buys in and understands each other and plays for each other. Coach White, like Coach Kerr on the men's side of professional basketball, when he took over the Warriors, understood the team chemistry and understands how to read the room. Coach White could have come in with an attitude of "This is my team, and I am going to change things up" But, again I ain't in the locker room, I think Coach White just understood what she had and saw the pieces and figured why mess up a good thing. This team is ready to continue its progression.

Reaction Score
They ain't going to Memphis..
Yeah, Memphis would be a hard draw. It is possible but I just think that having a team in Memphis would be a tough draw. Now if the team was in central Tennessee, maybe. But again, that is going to be tough.

Reaction Score
The league is praying for a LV-NY Finals. It would be easy to market - 2 best players, 2 best teams. That would draw some additional national interest. CT draws well locally, but wouldnt get much interest in the Finals.

Reaction Score
I hear you but the last thing the WNBA needs is to rush and expand only to see the team struggle because they didn't have the right ownership group who has the vision and patience to make it work. It would hurt the narrative that the league's popularity is growing.

I remember when Toronto and Vancouver started in 1996. A lot of people thought the group in Vancouver could pull it off, but they failed miserably and relocated in 2001. Toronto also had their struggles with the original ownership group having to sell the team. Luckily, the team landed with Maple Leafs Sports who could absorb the costs while working to rebuild the team. There aren't a lot of ownership groups like that who can do that out there.

Reaction Score
Do u all think that super teams will hurt the WNBA? Wondering if the same teams will be in the finals year in and year out? Only way the league grows is seeing other teams win it.. I feel like top free agents will go to the team that continues to win titles. Not sure how Vegas and Liberty were able to afford all these super star players on one roster? I feel like the super teams will ruin the league. People don’t want to see the same teams winning it or the same teams in the finals year after year.. only way that doesn’t happen is it the league expands, gets more cities and more teams with more players. I have a feeling we will see NY and Vegas dominating the league for years to come which will turn fans away!! It’s not like the WNBA is racking up the viewership and the $$ the NBA gets. Grow the game or the league will suffer. Just my opinion.
My thinking on the "Super Team" hurting the WNBA is, it will not hurt the WNBA. The so-called "super team" will help grow the W.

Reaction Score
I hear you but the last thing the WNBA needs is to rush and expand only to see the team struggle because they didn't have the right ownership group who has the vision and patience to make it work. It would hurt the narrative that the league's popularity is growing.

I remember when Toronto and Vancouver started in 1996. A lot of people thought the group in Vancouver could pull it off, but they failed miserably and relocated in 2001. Toronto also had their struggles with the original ownership group having to sell the team. Luckily, the team landed with Maple Leafs Sports who could absorb the costs while working to rebuild the team. There aren't a lot of ownership groups like that who can do that out there.
Great points. The last thing we need to see is the WNBA expanding and then that team has a tough time drawing fans. Hopefully the commissioner and her team are doing a great job of testing potential markets and owners. Researching owners on how invested they are in women's basketball. We don't need owners that are lightly invested in women's basketball. We need owners, like Seattle's ownership group. They are a great model. They are vested in the growth of women's basketball and I love to see owners like that.

Reaction Score
Which markets? That is the part that worries me the most. You gotta find the right market for women's basketball. Tennessee has a nice women's basketball fan base but then you gotta figure out where in Tennessee. Then you have to find that right owners. I am sure the League is looking for owners or ownership groups that are in love with women's basketball and want to see the league grow.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Which markets? That is the part that worries me the most. You gotta find the right market for women's basketball. Tennessee has a nice women's basketball fan base but then you gotta figure out where in Tennessee. Then you have to find that right owners. I am sure the League is looking for owners or ownership groups that are in love with women's basketball and want to see the league grow.

You do have to get into the right market. Fan demographics is much more important for the WNBA than College. Mainly because a pro team will have a very different relationship with the community than a college team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You have teams in Atlanta, and Washington who have arena's that seat less then 5000.
That needs to change.
I agree totally. The Liberty games use only the lower level of Barclay Center, but they have filled it with 9,000+ multiple times. If you want to have a major league team, you need a major league arena. I’ve been to the new arena in D.C. a few times. Unlike the Wizards’ arena, it’s in the wrong place and has a distinct minor league or college feel.

Reaction Score
I do not believe that a WNBA team could thrive in the SF Bay area. Perhaps if they are located in the North Bay and play half their games in Sacramento. Travel from the North Bay to Sac is just as quick ( often quicker) than within the Bay area itself. To many other entertanment options in the Bay area. Sacramento was actually a better financial option in the past. Less competition for the sports entertainment dollar.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I agree totally. The Liberty games use only the lower level of Barclay Center, but they have filled it with 9,000+ multiple times. If you want to have a major league team, you need a major league arena. I’ve been to the new arena in D.C. a few times. Unlike the Wizards’ arena, it’s in the wrong place and has a distinct minor league or college feel.
I still don't get why a team that drew 11-12,000 just a few years ago would opt for an arena that holds 4400. When I heard about ESA a couple of years ago I expected a few games each year at some combination of Capital One, EagleBank, XFinity, etc.

Reaction Score
This New York/Connecticut series is a great match up. Great for viewers and great for the game. I can't wait to see if Connecticut has an answer for New York. The Aces/Wings series, I just hope the Aces sweep the Wings. No need to prolong any games. Just sweep and get ready for the Finals.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This New York/Connecticut series is a great match up. Great for viewers and great for the game. I can't wait to see if Connecticut has an answer for New York. The Aces/Wings series, I just hope the Aces sweep the Wings. No need to prolong any games. Just sweep and get ready for the Finals.
I almost think the Aces would be better off not sweeping. I'm assuming NY-Connecticut is gonna go 5 games. If LV finishes the series in 3, they'll have too much time off and be rusty for Game 1 of the Finals. 4 games would be better. Anyway Dallas looks like they are capable of taking a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom