WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 28 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Phee had 20 points very early in Q3, but went out with a lower back injury. KMac carried them for a while. But somehow, Phee got it loosened up and/or played through it. I hope she’s ok.

Meanwhile, Tiffany Mitchell limped off with an ankle injury but came back. And DWB went off with a bloody upper nose. She got it bandaged and also returned. Things got very physical.
That was a great game to watch. And what a valiant effort by the Lynx. Hope Phee heals quickly.

Reaction Score
I think A'ja and Stewie are very close. Stewie has more versatility, but it's hard to argue with a line of 38/16/1/3/4. When she entered the league, A'ja was very good, but had weak spots in her game. To her credit, she doesn't force shots very often any more, can now go right, and has improved her shooting to 16' and at the FT line. When someone works hard and improves, they deserve recognition and kudos.
I've liked Aja since she was at SC and could see early on how great she would become. Several, not all, on this board never really gave her much credit while she was in college. Hopefully now people can see it.

Stewie is no doubt more versatile but Aja isn't anything to sneeze at.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The Mercury are already stuck with 2 maximum contracts around 249,000 dollars next year in DT and Griner.
If they can't trade Skyler that's another 249,000.
That's half of the new cap right there.
She signed a 4 year contract through 2023-2024, but I checked next year is 234,500 dollars

@baggerbob , with all due, you might want to check the numbers.

First, Griner is a free agent, so she is not signed to a max contract. She very likely could sign for one (though did not this past year), but she is currently a free agent.

Second, Skylar Diggins did not sign a four-year contract, nor is she under contract with Phoenix for 2024. She is a free agent.

Reaction Score
Wow, Kayla McBride (K-Mac) and Napheesa Collier (Phee) were absolutely exceptional in a must-win situation today; scoring 28 and 26 points, respectively, in the Lynx's 82-75 over the Connecticut Sun this afternoon. Yes, that's 54 of the team's 82 points...some 2/3 of the total.

Phee also snared 13 rebounds and K-Mac had 8. Pheel was exceptional in the first half and finished 12-24, while K-Mac went 11-18, including 6-11 from three-pt. land. Dorka Juhasz was on the floor for nearly 32 minutes, played tough and dished out six assists.

DeWanna Bonner matched K-Mac's 6 three-pointers en route to 24 points, while Alyssa Thomas shot 10-18 in scoring 26 points, but -- ultimately -- the Lynx held them off in forcing a decisive Game Three --- back in Minnesota.
Yes indeed! Phee and K-Mac were in attack mode, which is what I love to see and I am sure Coach Reeve was liking what she saw as well. The shots were falling, and the Lynx were being aggressive. Minnesota took the fight to Connecticut. But I am not gonna lie, when Connecticut made their run and got the score close, I think within 2-4 points, I thought Minny was gonna give the game away. But they held on and got the win. Love it!!

Now on to Wednesday. I can't wait. Target Center is going to be rocking!!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's the official WNBA award, or something else, but Alysha Clark got a 6th Player of the Year award. Aces have that thing locked down. 4 out of the last 5 years?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's the official WNBA award, or something else, but Alysha Clark got a 6th Player of the Year award. Aces have that thing locked down. 4 out of the last 5 years?

Shocked that she won. Thought it would’ve been Dana Evans or Kalani Brown.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've liked Aja since she was at SC and could see early on how great she would become. Several, not all, on this board never really gave her much credit while she was in college. Hopefully now people can see it.

Stewie is no doubt more versatile but Aja isn't anything to sneeze at.
A’ja was very good in college, but she’s so much better now.

Reaction Score
A lot of people consider her a distant second to Stewie but to me they’re 1A and 1B at this point. Stewie is the more versatile player and a better playmaker but A’ja is a two-way force and energizer bunny. I think the reasoning is that while Stewie was projected to be the next best player in the world out of college (which she has absolutely lived up to), A’ja has been better than many expected and has played her way into that conversation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sun should have finished them off today but the Lynx hung tough. And Dorka is a big-time player already.

Reaction Score
I definitely think the spacing in the pros had a lot do with it. Dawn hinted at it for A'ja before she went pro and said the same for Aliyah too. I think college games allows for so much clogging of the paint that players like that are disadvantage by the lack of a defensive 3 second rule.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Look at the stats, look at the players they have for support, look at the records. If it isn't AT, then it's robbery.

Reaction Score
The Sun should have finished them off today but the Lynx hung tough. And Dorka is a big-time player already.
Yeah, I was pretty proud of Minnesota and the way they held on down the stretch. When it got down to 2-3 points, I was like "Minny is gonna give the game away." But they held on and scored several buckets down the stretch. Dorka is only going to get better. I just love how she did not let Thomas bully her. Dorka stood her ground.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dorka is only going to get better. I just love how she did not let Thomas bully her. Dorka stood her ground.
It's clear she knows the game and her place in it. She'll have a roster spot for a dozen years or as long as she wants.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A lot of people consider her a distant second to Stewie but to me they’re 1A and 1B at this point. Stewie is the more versatile player and a better playmaker but A’ja is a two-way force and energizer bunny. I think the reasoning is that while Stewie was projected to be the next best player in the world out of college (which she has absolutely lived up to), A’ja has been better than many expected and has played her way into that conversation.

I also consider them 1a and 1b. They will be the core of Team USA for another decade or so.

Reaction Score
It's clear she knows the game and her place in it. She'll have a roster spot for a dozen years or as long as she wants.
Well said. Dorka has such a high bball IQ it is scary, especially on the defensive end. Folks, at the home games in my row, are always yelling for her to shoot the ball. I am like, "She is impacting the game in so many ways besides scoring."

Reaction Score
Poor play in the last 10 seconds by both teams. Cloud has a turnover on a set piece coming out of a timeout. While Sloot casually brings up the ball with just a few seconds left the game. Going into overtime

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie was hot early, then cold. Then she did just enough to get the W. Both defenses were solid and physical. EDD had trouble getting shots and even more trouble making them. As Ruoco noted, Natasha Cloud was the best player on the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Dallas put up 100+ again against Atlanta in a comfortable win. Dallas had 7 players in double-figures and got 35 bench points. McCowan was unstoppable inside. The Wings get the Aces next. I expect to see some 95-90 games.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stewie was hot early, then cold. Then she did just enough to get the W. Both defenses were solid and physical. EDD had trouble getting shots and even more trouble making them. As Ruoco noted, Natasha Cloud was the best player on the floor.
Hmm. I thought Stewie's primary contributions late were draining her free throws, which were imperative at those junctures.
And the other key -- non-shooting -- plays were by Jonquel Jones: her offensive rebounds were absolutely huge and the pressure she put on Hines-Allen's late lay-up attempt was crucial (Overall, I think she had 3 blocks). Up to that point, H-A had a degree of success going up against much taller players. (Man, did this team miss Austin...).

Oh, Laney also had a nice shot late, when she drove to the top of the lane, hit a "J" and fell on her butt.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
AO and height for the Wings last night.

And I just don't mean Arike Ogunbowale who brought her "A" game against Atlanta, shooting 7-15 overall (including 2-4) from three and 4-4 from the FT line. She also distributed 7 assists. When Arike's in that mindset, good things happen for the Wings.
The "O" -- Odyssey Sims -- came off the bench to add 4 assists and 8 points. Coach Trammell split time at the PG position with Sims and Crystal Dangerfield.

The other main (perhaps the main) factor was how Dallas just dominated the Dream down low.
  • Teira McCowan shot 6-8 (so many putbacks!), grabbed 16 rebounds and played 32+ minutes.
  • Awak Kuier shot 6-9, grabbed 6 rebounds and had 3 blocks in 17 minutes.
If Coach Trammel can get production from those two, Kalani Brown and Satou Sabally (when she's in the blocks), they could pose a problem for the Aces.

The Dream have to get bigger in the off-season. Cheyenne Parker, Naz Hillmon and Monique Billings couldn't hold off the Dallas bigs. In fact, the leading Dream rebounder was former Wing and current Dream wing/small forward, Allisha Gray, who had 19 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AO and height for the Wings last night.

And I just don't mean Arike Ogunbowale who brought her "A" game against Atlanta, shooting 7-15 overall (including 2-4) from three and 4-4 from the FT line. She also distributed 7 assists. When Arike's in that mindset, good things happen for the Wings.
Odyssey Sims came off the bench to add 4 assists and 8 points. Coach Trammell split time at the PG position with Sims and Crystal Dangerfield.

The other main (perhaps the main) factor was how Dallas just dominated the Dream down low.
  • Teira McCowan shot 6-8 (so many putbacks!), grabbed 16 rebounds and played 32+ minutes.
  • Awak Kuier shot 6-9, grabbed 6 rebounds and had 3 blocks in 17 minutes.
If Coach Trammel can get production from those two, Kalani Brown and Satou Sabally (when she's in the blocks), they could pose a problem for the Aces.

The Dream have to get bigger in the off-season.
That's one item. Something about this team seemed off throughout the season, with respect to effort/heart. Last night's game it felt like they put up the white flag in the first half. The announcers kept saying the management is still high on Wright, but the result on the floor doesn't show it. Definitely improved from last season, but again, something doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom