WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 26 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I'm in agreement with you, however this blogger seems to have an issue with Berger and Jones being chosen. Her suggestions for those who should have been considered instead has me scratching my head though. While I get Siegrist (to an extent) I'm not sure about Cooke or Meng.

I second this opinion. Cooke had a horrible shooting %. She was like 28% for the season. I wish her the best, but that doesn't deserve rookie recognition unless she was a force on defense. Frankly, there wasn't that much distinction between the rookies after Boston/Miller/Juhasz so I can understand the difference in opinion.

Reaction Score

I'm in agreement with you, however this blogger seems to have an issue with Berger and Jones being chosen. Her suggestions for those who should have been considered instead has me scratching my head though. While I get Siegrist (to an extent) I'm not sure about Cooke or Meng.

These selections are always tough. Somebody is always going to get overlooked. The writer makes a case for Meng, nothing wrong with that but the others felt that Grace and Haley made the cut.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Richard Cohen of Her Hoops Stats with His End-of-Season Preview of WNBA Free Agency

As always, he goes over the various levels of free agency and lists players who are there.
The one that garners the most attention, of course, are the UFA, which according to Cohen are:
  • "Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA): Players who have just completed a contract need a minimum of five years of service in the WNBA to gain this status. Players can also become a UFA before their fifth season if they are cut by a team and pass through waivers without being claimed. UFAs are free to discuss terms and sign a contract with any team of their choice, unless cored (explained below)."
Notable UFA's (in alphabetical order):
  • Lindsay Allen (Minn)
  • Rebecca Allen (Conn)
  • DeWanna Bonner (Conn)
  • Jordin Canada (LA)
  • Layshia Clarendon (LA)
  • Elena Delle Donne (Was)
  • Skylar Diggins-Smith (Phoe)
  • Stefanie Dolson (NY)
  • Brittany Griner (Phoe)
  • Megan Gustafson (Phoe)
  • Jonquel Jones (NY)
  • The Ogwumike sisters (LA)
  • The Samuelson sisters (LA)
  • Alanna Smith (Chi)
  • Courtney Williams (Chi)
  • Gabby Williams (Sea)
and
- Breanna Stewart (NY)

Some of these seem preordained to returned to current teams (Grinter to Phoenix, Stewie to NY), but there are a lot of interesting names out there; made even more interesting by situations. For instance, will be a new GM and/or coach for Chicago? If so, will he/she go in a different direction that Coach Wade did?

Stay tuned.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Notable UFA's (in alphabetical order):
  • Skylar Diggins-Smith (Phoe)
  • Brittany Griner (Phoe)
  • Megan Gustafson (Phoe)
My thoughts regarding the Phoenix Mercury:

--- Barring a massive upset, Griner will be in Phoenix next year.

--- Gustafson found a role as a backup center (after expanding her shooting range over the years). She was efficient in her minutes (7.9 ppg and 3.9 rpg in 15 minutes per game).

--- It will be nearly impossible for the new Mercury GM to rebuild the relationship with Diggins-Smith. Far too much has gone down, between Skylar and teammates and Skylar (and her agent) and the front office. The bigger question is if the new GM can get Skylar and her agent to agree to a sign-and-trade to allow Phoenix to recoup value and not lose a major asset (SDS was First Team All-WNBA in 2022 after averaging 19.7 ppg and 5.5 apg) without receiving anything (much less anything of value) in return.

--- An added piece to the puzzle is the regression of Brianna Turner after signing for 300k total for 2023-24 (150kl each year) — 75 games played , 3.9 PPG and 6.5 RPG. She has not just regressed as a scorer; she has failed to demonstrate any improvement in her shooting range. And it is not just her inability to take (much less make) an open 8-10' jumper; in 75 games the last two years, she has taken a total of 42 free throws and only made 21.
Is there trade value for the 2020-21 All Defensive First Team player -- and can Phoenix find a way to flip her contract to give the team greater flexibility in free agency?

--- Finally, while players have been supportive of Nikki Blue losing the "interim" tag and being named the head coach, I would not be surprised to see the Mercury reach out to Teresa Weatherspoon, whom the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans let go after the 2022-23 NBA season (she spent one year as a player development coach and three years as an NBA assistant coach).

Reaction Score

--- Gustafson found a role as a backup center (after expanding her shooting range over the years). She was efficient in her minutes (7.9 ppg and 3.9 rpg in 15 minutes per game).

--- It will be nearly impossible for the new Mercury GM to rebuild the relationship with Diggins-Smith. Far too much has gone down, between Skylar and teammates and Skylar (and her agent) and the front office. The bigger question is if the new GM can get Skylar and her agent to agree to a sign-and-trade to allow Phoenix to recoup value and not lose a major asset (SDS was First Team All-WNBA in 2022 after averaging 19.7 ppg and 5.5 apg) without receiving anything (much less anything of value) in return.

--- An added piece to the puzzle is the regression of Brianna Turner after signing for 300k total for 2023-24 (150kl each year) — 75 games played , 3.9 PPG and 6.5 RPG. She has not just regressed as a scorer; she has failed to demonstrate any improvement in her shooting range. And it is not just her inability to take (much less make) an open 8-10' jumper; in 75 games the last two years, she has taken a total of 42 free throws and only made 21.
Is there trade value for the 2020-21 All Defensive First Team player -- and can Phoenix find a way to flip her contract to give the team greater flexibility in free agency?

--- Finally, while players have been supportive of Nikki Blue losing the "interim" tag and being named the head coach, I would not be surprised to see the Mercury reach out to Teresa Weatherspoon, whom the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans let go after the 2022-23 NBA season (she spent one year as a player development coach and three years as an NBA assistant coach).
The Mercury are already stuck with 2 maximum contracts around 249,000 dollars next year in DT and Griner.
If they can't trade Skyler that's another 249,000.
That's half of the new cap right there.

Reaction Score
The Mercury are already stuck with 2 maximum contracts around 249,000 dollars next year in DT and Griner.
If they can't trade Skyler that's another 249,000.
That's half of the new cap right there.

Why would they be stuck with Skyler's salary? She's a unrestricted free agent

Reaction Score

Weatherspoon would be a good look, but it's been stated that she is the front runner for the Sky head coaching position.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Weatherspoon would be a good look, but it's been stated that she is the front runner for the Sky head coaching position.
According to the Chcago Sun-Times article I read in late August, Witherspoon was "one of the candidates" the Sky are considering. I have not seen anything more definitive since then. Have you?

Remember James Wade was both coach and general manager of the Sky and there aren't too many of those around (any?) at this point. As such, would one want to hire a GM first to supply the direction for the team? Lots of decisions to make with Courtney Williams and Alanna Smith both unrestricted free agents.

Reaction Score
According to the Chcago Sun-Times article I read in late August, Witherspoon was "one of the candidates" the Sky are considering. I have not seen anything more definitive since then. Have you?

Remember James Wade was both coach and general manager of the Sky and there aren't too many of those around (any?) at this point. As such, would one want to hire a GM first to supply the direction for the team? Lots of decisions to make with Courtney Williams and Alanna Smith both unrestricted free agents.

Can’t say when but I thought I read she was the front runner. But who knows

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Reactions to your points:
  • Yes, Griner will be back.
  • I think Skylar has probably already shipped her stuff back east. I'm skeptical of why she'd want to cooperate with Phoenix given the apparent enmity. She can leave to make her own deal. Yes, it would behoove Phoenix to get something in return, but the new GM and whomever the trade partner is would have to make it really worthwhile for Sky. I think she works out her own deal with a team that wants a veteran point guard. Some articles have mentioned Indiana, but I'm thinking there might be more of a possibility of her landing in Chicago with Courtney Williams an UFA and a new GM/Coach coming in next season.
  • Turner has regressed and some of that is on her. However, her best year was playing alongside Griner and basically being Oakley to Griner's Ewing. When Griner was gone, she moved over to center and things have been steadily downhill since them.
  • Gustafson has done a good job. Will she and Phoenix come to a deal? Maybe? Or will there be opportunities in other cities where she might get the chance to play. A lot.
  • Nikki Blue? Hmm. New GM coming in, who I think will want his own person. Maybe he'll keep the players' endorsement in mind, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this search become extensive.

Reaction Score

Gustafson has improved and I loved the way Coach Blue was able to get more minutes for Megan. The Skylar situation, from an outsider's viewpoint, is not good. That situation is pretty much a done deal. Each party needs to part ways.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Gustafson and Karlie Samuelson are going to play in London for the London Lions. English teams have not fared that well in Euro Cup, not sure they ever were in EuroLeague. The Lions have a Euroleague qualifier series starting next week. London have been playing well in preseason "friendlies" against other teams. If they win their 2 game series, they go to Euroleague, if not they go to back to Euro Cup. Interesting to see how these games play out.
Samuelson has missed the last 3 Sparks games so I dont know her availability to play, but she did tweet she was on her way to London.

Reaction Score
Game Time! Calling it now. Minnesota and Las Vegas get wins tonight.
200.gif

Reaction Score
I’ve kinda had this irrational sense all year that Minny can beat anyone (even though they’ve only proved that true like once), but tonight I’m recognizing that the Sun really are just a better team. Really excited to see what they can do next year if they can get Jones back.

Aces looking well-rested tonight and taking it to Chicago which has a pretty good guard trio of its own (even if there’s not a whole lot else). Aces are gonna have to play like every minute counts in these playoffs. With their lack of depth, the difference between two games in a series and three could be costly.

Reaction Score
Uh...maybe 1 out of 2. 30 point beat down by Connecticut in the first game.
Yeah. I was thinking that Minny would have a different mindset. Still a chance to turn it around but I got the feeling that this is going to end in a sweep. For the Aces, now that is the team that we saw at the start of the season. They dominated Chicago. If the Aces play like we know they are capable of playing, nobody is going to stop them. Some teams might make it tough but once the Aces are firing on all cylinders, they are hard to beat.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It really helps when you hit your 3's. Even so, the Sun play team ball.

Reaction Score
She signed a 4 year contract through 2023-2024, but I checked next year is 234,500 dollars
I believe the 4 year extension she signed with Dallas in 2000 has expired and she's a free agent.

She won't ever ever be seen in the Phoenix Mercury uniform again and whoever signs her will make for a very entertaining return to Phoenix.

Unrestricted Free Agents

Layshia Clarendon (LAS)

Natasha Cloud (WAS)

Alaina Coates

Nia Coffey (ATL)

Sydney Colson (LVA)

Lauren Cox

Lorela Cubaj

Elena Delle Donne (WAS)

Diamond DeShields (DAL)

Jasmine Dickey

Skylar Diggins-Smith (PHO)

Liz Dixon

Ivana Dojkić

Stefanie Dolson (NYL)

Emily Engstler

Cyesha Goree

Brittney Griner (PHO)

Arella Guirantes

Megan Gustafson (PHO)

Linnae Harper

Tianna Hawkins (WAS)

Tiffany Hayes (CON)

Destanni Henderson

Khaalia Hillsman

Ashley Joens

Brionna Jones (CON)

Jonquel Jones (NYL)

Jantel Lavender

Rui Machida

Abby Meyers

Taylor Mikesell

Chiney Ogwumike (LAS)

Nneka Ogwumike (LAS)

Candace Parker (LVA)

Shey Peddy (PHO)

Theresa Plaisance

Aerial Powers (MIN)

Epiphanny Prince

Danielle Robinson (ATL)

Karlie Samuelson

Katie Lou Samuelson (LAS)

Jennie Simms

Odyssey Sims (DAL)

Alanna Smith (CHI)

Taylor Soule

Breanna Stewart (NYL)

Kiah Stokes (LVA)

Jasmine Thomas (LAS)

Sam Thomas

Kristi Toliver (WAS)

Kayana Traylor

Yvonne Turner (SEA)

Evina Westbrook

Christyn Williams

Courtney Williams (CHI)

Gabby Williams (SEA)

Madi Williams

Riquna Williams (LVA)

Amanda Zahui B. (IND)

Reaction Score
I believe the 4 year extension she signed with Dallas in 2000 has expired and she's a free agent.

She won't ever ever be seen in the Phoenix Mercury uniform again and whoever signs her will make for a very entertaining return to Phoenix.

Unrestricted Free Agents

Layshia Clarendon (LAS)

Natasha Cloud (WAS)

Alaina Coates

Nia Coffey (ATL)

Sydney Colson (LVA)

Lauren Cox

Lorela Cubaj

Elena Delle Donne (WAS)

Diamond DeShields (DAL)

Jasmine Dickey

Skylar Diggins-Smith (PHO)

Liz Dixon

Ivana Dojkić

Stefanie Dolson (NYL)

Emily Engstler

Cyesha Goree

Brittney Griner (PHO)

Arella Guirantes

Megan Gustafson (PHO)

Linnae Harper

Tianna Hawkins (WAS)

Tiffany Hayes (CON)

Destanni Henderson

Khaalia Hillsman

Ashley Joens

Brionna Jones (CON)

Jonquel Jones (NYL)

Jantel Lavender

Rui Machida

Abby Meyers

Taylor Mikesell

Chiney Ogwumike (LAS)

Nneka Ogwumike (LAS)

Candace Parker (LVA)

Shey Peddy (PHO)

Theresa Plaisance

Aerial Powers (MIN)

Epiphanny Prince

Danielle Robinson (ATL)

Karlie Samuelson

Katie Lou Samuelson (LAS)

Jennie Simms

Odyssey Sims (DAL)

Alanna Smith (CHI)

Taylor Soule

Breanna Stewart (NYL)

Kiah Stokes (LVA)

Jasmine Thomas (LAS)

Sam Thomas

Kristi Toliver (WAS)

Kayana Traylor

Yvonne Turner (SEA)

Evina Westbrook

Christyn Williams

Courtney Williams (CHI)

Gabby Williams (SEA)

Madi Williams

Riquna Williams (LVA)

Amanda Zahui B. (IND)

Pretty solid list of free agents.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For the Aces, now that is the team that we saw at the start of the season. They dominated Chicago. If the Aces play like we know they are capable of playing, nobody is going to stop them. Some teams might make it tough but once the Aces are firing on all cylinders, they are hard to beat.
IF we end up with the Aces vs. the Liberty in the finals, that will be an very interesting series. Of 4 regular season games plus the Commissioner's Cup, there was only one somewhat close game if I recall correctly. Both were on the receiving end of some whuppins, but NY definitely got the better of it late in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom