WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft

Reaction Score
Also looking to see if there is any announcement regarding Jackson from Kansas. As I understand it, she had 48 hours to declare after the NIT final, which I think means today. Of course if she doesn't that just narrows one option, she could return to Kansas or go for the portal.

Reaction Score
Will the coaches of those WNBA team have to worry about Reese's hand and fingers?
she may very well end up being far better pro than she is a college player.....she just has to work on her outside shooting....

Reaction Score
Wonder if Reese would have a chance to go 1-1 over Boston if she could enter this year.
I don’t think so, Indiana already has NaLyssa Smith at the 4 spot. They’re in greater need of a center right now.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maybe because she's listed as a sophomore on the LSU site? Which is interesting because they acknowledge her two seasons at Maryland.

They list Kateri Poole as a sophomore as well. And Poole played two seasons at OSU. I'm assuming they are labelling their players by how many years of eligibility they have left.

Reaction Score
Due to COVID years, it seems like no one can keep track what classes are which. ESPN has referred to Nika as sophomore multiple times.

Reaction Score
Due to COVID years, it seems like no one can keep track what classes are which. ESPN has referred to Nika as sophomore multiple times.

Some programs list players with the COVID year as redshirts too. Noticed this with Iowa State's roster. A standard hadn't been established, so we're going to be asking this question for a couple more years.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This is the wrong thread for all this though.

I’d imagine the only big names we are expecting to hear entering the draft anymore is Zia Cooke, Ashley Owusu, Laeticia Amihere? Unless I’ve missed their announcements officially.

I’ve seen some mock drafts where Lou Lopez Senechal is maybe the 10th pick and this surprises me. What are the critiques for her success at the next level? To me she seems more of a top four pick, especially with who stayed. She’s tall, long, has a good shot. Is it defensive foot speed?

I don’t see Horston as being that different from Haley jones when it comes to outside shooting but she’s being projected a lot higher. I know their positions are different but is Horston fast enough for the WNBA point guards?

Reaction Score

I’d imagine the only big names we are expecting to hear entering the draft anymore is Zia Cooke, Ashley Owusu, Laeticia Amihere? Unless I’ve missed their announcements officially.

I’ve seen some mock drafts where Lou Lopez Senechal is maybe the 10th pick and this surprises me. What are the critiques for her success at the next level? To me she seems more of a top four pick, especially with who stayed. She’s tall, long, has a good shot. Is it defensive foot speed?

I don’t see Horston as being that different from Haley jones when it comes to outside shooting but she’s being projected a lot higher. I know their positions are different but is Horston fast enough for the WNBA point guards?

It's all about what the team needs in the W. Can't see Lou being a top 4, but who knows. Horston is not a point guard. I think Horston game has risen since her freshman year. Haley Jones' game has slid since her sophmore year. Which is why Horston is projected to be a higher draft pick.

Reaction Score

I think Horston can handle the speed. She's a lot more agile than people may realize.

Reaction Score

Still crickets and midnight last night was their deadline.

Doesn’t mean they haven’t declared to the w. Just that nothing has been announced public ally. I’m guessing that the wnba will show a list tomorrow/ish after tonight’s deadline for LSU and Iowa expires

Reaction Score
Still crickets and midnight last night was their deadline.

Doesn’t mean they haven’t declared to the w. Just that nothing has been announced public ally. I’m guessing that the wnba will show a list tomorrow/ish after tonight’s deadline for LSU and Iowa expires
The longer we wait, the more hopeful I am getting about some or all three returning (Zia/LA/Beal). It's probably a false hope but I keep checking their Instagram and Twitter feeds for an "unfinished business" group announcement.:D

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The longer we wait, the more hopeful I am getting about some or all three returning (Zia/LA/Beal). It's probably a false hope but I keep checking their Instagram and Twitter feeds for an "unfinished business" group announcement.:D
One observation after the Iowa game - Boston was calmly consoling a crying Zia, and my first thought was that it was Zia's last game and Boston was coming back, however I was half wrong, so no idea.

Reaction Score
The only one I think could really make a huge difference is Amihere, if she’s ready to move into a starting role. She showed hints of a dominant talent in the tournament, and many of us were wondering why she didn’t play more than 15 minutes in the last game when she was so effective. She looks like she’s got more to give the team. Zia and Brea are good players, but I don’t see them being the ones to lift an already great team into the stratosphere. Dawn already has guards ready to make the leap in Raven and Breezy, and the pipeline behind them is stocked.

And Amihere could define herself more clearly for next year’s draft by sticking around. She can totally own the 3/4 position if she’s ready to give it her all. She looks a lot stronger now and she could show this to W coaches by staying one more season. Zia and Brea don’t really have anything more to show coaches. They are who they are.

One last thought: I imagine the defeat still stings, and this is bound to be a motivator. But their little circle won’t be together anymore. How close were the freshies? Are they as close to the younger players as they were to each other?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only one I think could really make a huge difference is Amihere, if she’s ready to move into a starting role. She showed hints of a dominant talent in the tournament, and many of us were wondering why she didn’t play more than 15 minutes in the last game when she was so effective. She looks like she’s got more to give the team. Zia and Brea are good players, but I don’t see them being the ones to lift an already great team into the stratosphere. Dawn already has guards ready to make the leap in Raven and Breezy, and the pipeline behind them is stocked.

And Amihere could define herself more clearly for next year’s draft by sticking around. She can totally own the 3/4 position if she’s ready to give it her all. She looks a lot stronger now and she could show this to W coaches by staying one more season. Zia and Brea don’t really have anything more to show coaches. They are who they are.

One last thought: I imagine the defeat still stings, and this is bound to be a motivator. But their little circle won’t be together anymore. How close were the freshies? Are they as close to the younger players as they were to each other?
From what I could tell they are extremely close to each other and the rest of the team. Amihere is appears on social media to be extremely close with Cardoso and Johnson so I have hope she decides to come back and play one more year with them.

Reaction Score

You don't think much of Zia, an All American and All Final Four player???? I will admit that she is not a great pure shooter, but there is more to being a guard than that.

As far as Amihere, I love her when her head is in the game and she plays under control, but she needs to learn to keep her emotions under control and limit her offensive fouls that, all too often, follow up a great defensive play.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
From what I could tell they are extremely close to each other and the rest of the team. Amihere is appears on social media to be extremely close with Cardoso and Johnson so I have hope she decides to come back and play one more year with them.
It has been stated elsewhere but the deadline for SoCar and VT players to declare for the draft has passed, so either she has declared without an announcement or she isn't declaring, correct?

Reaction Score
You don't think much of Zia, an All American and All Final Four player???? I will admit that she is not a great pure shooter, but there is more to being a guard than that.

As far as Amihere, I love her when her head is in the game and she plays under control, but she needs to learn to keep her emotions under control and limit her offensive fouls that, all too often, follow up a great defensive play.
You’ve got to be able to knock down shots at Cooke’s size to hang in the pros. Don’t think her shooting marks this year against defenses that sagged off almost every perimeter player suggest she’s at that level of ability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom