WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft

Reaction Score
You’ve got to be able to knock down shots at Cooke’s size to hang in the pros. Don’t think her shooting marks this year against defenses that sagged off almost every perimeter player suggest she’s at that level of ability.
I was not responding to a post about her professional ability. I was responding to a post implying that she won't help SCar much if she comes back next season.

Reaction Score
Waiting only on Zia Cooke - without much hope. :(

Her statement two weeks ago made it fairly clear she doesn't intend to come back.

Thank you for all four years 1 NC, Two Final fours, and ONE BANNER YEAR. :D (127-9)

Reaction Score
You don't think much of Zia, an All American and All Final Four player???? I will admit that she is not a great pure shooter, but there is more to being a guard than that.
I like Zia just fine. She's a streaky shooter, but an excellent player in every other respect -- reminiscent of Christyn Williams, though a bit smaller. I just don't think she fills a gap in the team for next year. Plus, she needs to make room for younger talents to move up. Would she be willing to come off the bench?

Reaction Score
I like Zia just fine. She's a streaky shooter, but an excellent player in every other respect -- reminiscent of Christyn Williams, though a bit smaller. I just don't think she fills a gap in the team for next year. Plus, she needs to make room for younger talents to move up. Would she be willing to come off the bench?
She would be a starter. Raven would start. Fulwiley will not be ready for SG until, at least, the second half of the season. Bree Hall will ake Brea Beal's Swing guard/Wing spot..

Reaction Score
She would be a starter. Raven would start. Fulwiley will not be ready for SG until, at least, the second half of the season. Bree Hall will ake Brea Beal's Swing guard/Wing spot..
Don’t forget Tessa, who’s not as flashy as Fulwiley, but may be a headier player. Your forecasted lineup is probably right for November-January. I’d expect an eventual lineup of Raven Tessa/Fulwiley Hall Feagins Cardoso with Zia and Watkins coming off the bench. You can see how LA could have fit in here really well if she’s decided to stay.

Reaction Score
As you can see, I’m a big fan of Tessa’s. I’ve watched her HS games since she was in 9th grade. Her development had been impressive. She’s not a dominating physical presence, but more a Paige-type who just knows when to score or pass and how to carry a team.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Don’t forget Tessa, who’s not as flashy as Fulwiley, but may be a headier player. Your forecasted lineup is probably right for November-January. I’d expect an eventual lineup of Raven Tessa/Fulwiley Hall Feagins Cardoso with Zia and Watkins coming off the bench. You can see how LA could have fit in here really well if she’s decided to stay.
Look up a few posts...Amihere has declared...

Reaction Score
As you can see, I’m a big fan of Tessa’s. I’ve watched her HS games since she was in 9th grade. Her development had been impressive. She’s not a dominating physical presence, but more a Paige-type who just knows when to score or pass and how to carry a team.
She's a very good shooter but she needs to toughen up and get experience at this level.. Love her and she is an excellent shooter, but she doesn't have near the body control or court awareness Paige had as a freshman. In fact, I don't think there is a comparison other than Ms Basketball of Minnesota.

Reaction Score
The only one I think could really make a huge difference is Amihere, if she’s ready to move into a starting role. She showed hints of a dominant talent in the tournament, and many of us were wondering why she didn’t play more than 15 minutes in the last game when she was so effective. She looks like she’s got more to give the team. Zia and Brea are good players, but I don’t see them being the ones to lift an already great team into the stratosphere. Dawn already has guards ready to make the leap in Raven and Breezy, and the pipeline behind them is stocked.

And Amihere could define herself more clearly for next year’s draft by sticking around. She can totally own the 3/4 position if she’s ready to give it her all. She looks a lot stronger now and she could show this to W coaches by staying one more season. Zia and Brea don’t really have anything more to show coaches. They are who they are.

One last thought: I imagine the defeat still stings, and this is bound to be a motivator. But their little circle won’t be together anymore. How close were the freshies? Are they as close to the younger players as they were to each other?
The Freshies were as tight a group as you could ever imagine. The team as a whole was very close but really I dont see that keeping any of them from leaving. Other than LA I don’t think there’s anything that will boost any of their draft stock. LA graduated last year so I think she probably already has a Masters also. She likes International ball and think she’ll do fine.

Reaction Score
The Freshies were as tight a group as you could ever imagine. The team as a whole was very close but really I dont see that keeping any of them from leaving. Other than LA I don’t think there’s anything that will boost any of their draft stock. LA graduated last year so I think she probably already has a Masters also. She likes International ball and think she’ll do fine.
Zia has improved so much this year, her being the focal point and another season of improvement could put her in the POTY conversation with no Aliyah.

I believe she’s a projected 2nd rounder, another year and she’ll easily be 1st. I doubt she stays, though. Especially with everyone else leaving. Good for them for starting and finishing as one.

Reaction Score
Zia has improved so much this year, her being the focal point and another season of improvement could put her in the POTY conversation with no Aliyah.

I believe she’s a projected 2nd rounder, another year and she’ll easily be 1st. I doubt she stays, though. Especially with everyone else leaving. Good for them for starting and finishing as one.
She has almost no chance of being a 1st rounder next year. There are too many staying in school another year that were already projected 1st R picks. The next 2 years will be a bottleneck of all these players getting the COVID year running out of eligibility. Hopefully in 2 yrs the league will expand or at least add more players to a roster.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She has almost no chance of being a 1st rounder next year. There are too many staying in school another year that were already projected 1st R picks. The next 2 years will be a bottleneck of all these players getting the COVID year running out of eligibility. Hopefully in 2 yrs the league will expand or at least add more players to a roster.
Disagree, I think she still needs to show more efficiency, and if she does her stock can go up significantly. She’s already improved shot selection and shown she can score against good teams. She has WNBA caliber athleticism, defense and quickness but her consistency offensively isn’t there. With Boston gone she’d take on a larger role next year and if she could get to 45% FG, I think she’d be a lock for first round. Furthermore, it’s a crapshoot determining who declares next year vs who returns. The only big names returning next year for a 5th season are Rickea Jackson and Elizabeth Kitley. The loaded 2020 class has many players that appear likely to utilize a 5th season (Clark, Reese, Bueckers). No idea what Cardoso is planning, and Brink I’m guessing goes pro but if those first 3 stick around another year, the depth and overall quality of the draft isn’t as strong and Zia could absolutely be a first rounder with a pro-ready game.

Reaction Score
You don't think much of Zia, an All American and All Final Four player???? I will admit that she is not a great pure shooter, but there is more to being a guard than that.

As far as Amihere, I love her when her head is in the game and she plays under control, but she needs to learn to keep her emotions under control and limit her offensive fouls that, all too often, follow up a great defensive play.

She's really underrated at this point.

It happens a lot with our guards. Ty Harris and oh my the UConn folks were brutal on Henderson and ... : )

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The loaded 2020 class has many players that appear likely to utilize a 5th season (Clark, Reese, Bueckers).
I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe Bueckers since she has missed so much time due to injuries (although that might actually be a reason to go pro, before she suffers another injury, kinda like Tuck did). All of the core group that Clark will have played w/ for 3-4 years will be gone after next year, I really would be surprised to see her delay her WNBA career and return without all her buddies. Reese already has a Championship, she's pretty dominant in college, not sure what she would have left to prove for 2 more years.

Boston this year tells me a lot. Many were predicting she would return. She didn't. The whole "they can make more in college w/ NIL deals than in the WNBA" argument didn't seem to hold much weight. And she's joined by 3 other teammates forgoing a remaining year of eligibility, correct?

I don't think we've yet seen a player who was generally predicted to be a star at the next level delay entering the draft after 4 years of college. If you can think of any please correct me.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't think we've yet seen a player who was generally predicted to be a star at the next level delay entering the draft after 4 years of college. If you can think of any please correct me.
You bring up a good point. Weren't the previous two classes also COVID year eligible and if so, how many took advantage and were any subsequently drafted?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This may not have anything to do with anything, but it just occurred to me. Entering the draft this year just might mean the difference between being able to say you played against or with Taurasi and Parker or not. Anybody who wasn't in the league already last season missed the opportunity to say the same about Bird and Fowles.

And not about playing against a veteran whose career is drawing to a close, but maybe just generally the idea of getting to match up against pros and some of the best players in the world is appealing. After 4 years of been there/done that, some are probably ready for a new challenge. I think playing in the WNBA is a bigger life goal for some of these women than is being assumed to be the case.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
All of the core group that Clark will have played w/ for 3-4 years will be gone after next year, I really would be surprised to see her delay her WNBA career and return without all her buddies.
Caitlin is long-time friends with Kylie Feuerbach and convinced her to transfer to Iowa in '21-'22, Kylie had an ACL last September and missed this season. She also has a good connection with FR Hannah Stuelke and Taylor McCabe. Caitlin and Taylor are at all the men's games together when they are in town. Not sure having all the 'core group' gone will influence her decision all that much.

Reaction Score
All of the core group that Clark will have played w/ for 3-4 years will be gone after next year, I really would be surprised to see her delay her WNBA career and return without all her buddies. Reese already has a Championship, she's pretty dominant in college, not sure what she would have left to prove for 2 more years.
Caitlin’s hard to read. After her freshman year she played in the FIBA series and was the anchor of Team USA. I saw most of those games and it looked like an adult playing with kids. After proving herself against the best of D1 WCBB, including strong fast 22 year olds who’d been well seasoned at this level, she spent her downtime playing against HS kids. Admittedly, they were among the best kids in that rising class. But it had to feel a bit underwhelming to her.

When I think about decisions Caitlin might make about turning pro, I wonder about that summer. What did she take away from the experience? Would she prefer an extra year playing against less experienced opponents, or will she be eager to test herself against the most seasoned veterans?

She’s already climbed the mountain by beating SC. She may not have gotten a ring yet, she’s proved herself against the best D1 has to offer this year. I can see her being eager for another shot at an NC next year, especially since most of her team will return. But will she want two more years, even if much of that original team is gone. It’s hard to picture Iowa still being an NC contender in ‘25.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fans speculated all season Boston would return. I never thought she would. At some point many of these players are done with college ball, life, and schedules.

Yes NIL makes it tempting with low WNBA salaries. But a top notch player will also likely receive endorsements as a professional player. College isn't always easy and athletes have to balance classes, practice, training, and media demands. It can be fun but at a point it can drag on a person who has professional aspirations. Going pro means money and more freedom, two things that are very attractive.

Frankly I think Amihere and Beal would have benefited from another year in college to refine their games. It's true 36 players will be drafted but I suspect maybe half will be on opening day rosters. They may be among them, I don't know. What I believe is Amihere, to her credit but also detriment, never found out where she works best on the floor and in what position because she's so versatile she was plugged in all over but not for extended periods with consistent success. Beal is a good defender but not a reliable offensive player. Both would have been leaders with Cardoso and Johnson this upcoming year. However, no skin off my nose and I wish them well.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Fans speculated all season Boston would return. I never thought she would. At some point many of these players are done with college ball, life, and schedules.

Yes NIL makes it tempting with low WNBA salaries. But a top notch player will also likely receive endorsements as a professional player. College isn't always easy and athletes have to balance classes, practice, training, and media demands. It can be fun but at a point it can drag on a person who has professional aspirations. Going pro means money and more freedom, two things that are very attractive.

Frankly I think Amihere and Beal would have benefited from another year in college to refine their games. It's true 36 players will be drafted but I suspect maybe half will be on opening day rosters. They may be among them, I don't know. What I believe is Amihere, to her credit but also detriment, never found out where she works best on the floor and in what position because she's so versatile she was plugged in all over but not for extended periods with consistent success. Beal is a good defender but not a reliable offensive player. Both would have been leaders with Cardoso and Johnson this upcoming year. However, no skin off my nose and I wish them well.
I agree about Amihere. I thought she might come back. But, it's no hair off my head. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom