WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft

Reaction Score
It's true 36 players will be drafted but I suspect maybe half will be on opening day rosters.
Last season only 16 of the 36 (45%) stuck to a roster. Really a long shot for a lot of these players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last season only 16 of the 36 (45%) stuck to a roster. Really a long shot for a lot of these players.
It will be interesting, but with the WNBA instituted penalty for players playing in Europe, I suspect there might be some unexpected defections from WNBA rosters with players deciding it isn't worth the agro and just staying in Europe where they are earning more?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
WNBA needs expansion, both number of teams, and roster size, or it will drive a lot of players away. The prioritization rule of players having to decide b/w the W and staying with international teams will also hurt the brand.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
WNBA needs expansion, both number of teams, and roster size, or it will drive a lot of players away. The prioritization rule of players having to decide b/w the W and staying with international teams will also hurt the brand.
It will only start seriously hurting when the top stars stay overseas - like the palaver when DT sat out a season because her Euro team paid her to rest. Otherwise, it will likely open a few doors for draftees to stick on rosters, and it may turn into something better for the pros - forced time off from 12 month playing, whether they stay in foreign parts or stay home or alternate between the two.

Not making light of the situation, but it is a league struggling with the bottom line numbers, so saying they should spend more isn't a real option at the moment. Expanding to more cities would be great, but you need to find the investors willing to bet a lot of money on a 50/50 proposition, or the sort of 'sugar daddy' investors that make the teams go in Europe.

Reaction Score
I broke the final list down and had a lengthy discussion on whether Lou actually needs to or can go through the draft:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I broke the final list down and had a lengthy discussion on whether Lou actually needs to or can go through the draft:
Great analysis. Thanks!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Caitlin’s hard to read. After her freshman year she played in the FIBA series and was the anchor of Team USA. I saw most of those games and it looked like an adult playing with kids. After proving herself against the best of D1 WCBB, including strong fast 22 year olds who’d been well seasoned at this level, she spent her downtime playing against HS kids. Admittedly, they were among the best kids in that rising class. But it had to feel a bit underwhelming to her.

When I think about decisions Caitlin might make about turning pro, I wonder about that summer. What did she take away from the experience? Would she prefer an extra year playing against less experienced opponents, or will she be eager to test herself against the most seasoned veterans?

She’s already climbed the mountain by beating SC. She may not have gotten a ring yet, she’s proved herself against the best D1 has to offer this year. I can see her being eager for another shot at an NC next year, especially since most of her team will return. But will she want two more years, even if much of that original team is gone. It’s hard to picture Iowa still being an NC contender in ‘25.
I frankly would be shocked if Clark decides to come back for a 5th year. She already has very little left to prove at the college level, and I'd think a competitor like her will want to go against the best each and every night. She also has pretty unlimited sponsorship opportunities at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if some of these players have been told by WNBA scouts that they'll have a hard time making a roster
Possible. If true, it's a professional courtesy which I see as a good thing.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Were any prominent players not drafted who declared?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Was Myah Selland drafted? I seem to remember her name lingering undrafted toward the end.
No.

I'm sure there were a number of players not drafted who probably expected to be. The one that stuck out to me is Cate Reese from Arizona. Maybe doesn't project as a WNBA player, but had a more productive college career than some of the late draft picks (like Prechtel from Stanford).

Reaction Score
Were any prominent players not drafted who declared?
Below is a screenshot of P5 + Big East All-Conference players who declared but went undrafted.

Note: Declared defined as those listed by WNBA however there are players who weren't on that list who got drafted (e.g. Monika Czinano and Brittany Davis) so the list isn't definitive.

1681337721787.png

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Below is a screenshot of P5 + Big East All-Conference players who declared but went undrafted.

Note: Declared defined as those listed by WNBA however there are players who weren't on that list who got drafted (e.g. Monika Czinano and Brittany Davis)

View attachment 87282
Do any of these players still have college eligibility?

Reaction Score
Even if they do, I think they lost their eligibility
Correct, there was a deadline for pulling out of the draft and keeping your eligibility. Sedona Prince did that, she put her name in for the draft and the transfer portal, explored her options and then withdrew from the draft and transferred to TCU. Once that deadline to pull out passes your eligibility is gone.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Even if they do, I think they lost their eligibility
I thought that too but in other threads players declared but also stated that they retained their college eligibility.
I could not find anywhere on the WNBA website that stated that retaining their eligibility was possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom