WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft | The Boneyard

WNBA—Declaring for the 2023 Draft

Reaction Score
Unless their team is still playing, eligible players have to declare by March 27th, this Mond
Usually this is a formality, seniors are done and only a few juniors are old enough and good enough to declare. With the extra Covid year possibility everything is different along with the change of not having to wait a year for a transfer.

Now portal transfers and 5th year returnees can have as much impact on a team's outlook as their recruiting class, at least for the next year. There used to be so much more certainty as to who would be on a team the next season, but now there are so many more variables.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Usually this is a formality, seniors are done and only a few juniors are old enough and good enough to declare. With the extra Covid year possibility everything is different along with the change of not having to wait a year for a transfer.

Now portal transfers and 5th year returnees can have as much impact on a team's outlook as their recruiting class, at least for the next year. There used to be so much more certainty as to who would be on a team the next season, but now there are so many more variables.

Notable juniors who are eligible include Paige Bueckers, Cameron Brink, Kamila Cardoso, Hailey Van Lith, Deja Kelly, Te-Hina Pao Pao and Alissa Pili.

I have no insight but I'm guessing all will return. Though if I had to pick one who I think leaves, I'd guess Cardoso.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

True but I guess my thinking was if any eligible seniors hadn't declared before the deadline, then we would be pretty confident in assuming they were taking their COVID year but hadn't decided to transfer or not.

Reaction Score
True but I guess my thinking was if any eligible seniors hadn't declared before the deadline, then we would be pretty confident in assuming they were taking their COVID year but hadn't decided to transfer or not.
You are right that not declaring probably is an indirect indication of taking an extra year, whether it is with their current team or by entering the portal.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Does anyone know of a place where you can see the list of who has declared? I didn't see anything on the WNBA website and have no idea where to look on the ESPN app or website. Except for the teams in the Elite Eight, the deadline has passed.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know of a place where you can see the list of who has declared? I didn't see anything on the WNBA website and have no idea where to look on the ESPN app or website. Except for the teams in the Elite Eight, the deadline has passed.
I read that players who meet the cutoff age for the WNBA draft and have remaining college eligibility must notify the league no later than 10 days before the draft date April 10th. If accurate then the deadline is March 31st.

Reaction Score
I read that players who meet the cutoff age for the WNBA draft and have remaining college eligibility must notify the league no later than 10 days before the draft date April 10th. If accurate then the deadline is March 31st.
The WNBA and WNBPA agreed to an earlier deadline during the era of players not having the 20-21 season count towards college eligibility. Based on the last two years, we will probably get some kind of list in the next day or two. Last year, the WNBA did not do any actual checking of the list, unlike the NBA, so it could be kind of a mess when it is released.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
It was reported in the WNBA Draft thread that the deadline this year is March 27th. It was in a news article concerning Tennessee's Jordan Horston.

Reaction Score
The deadline to declare for all prospects, who are not playing in the final four, had to declare by yesterday. Interesting no announcement from Horston and Haley Jones yet.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It was reported in the WNBA Draft thread that the deadline this year is March 27th. It was in a news article concerning Tennessee's Jordan Horston.
I've tried the google and also searched within WNBA.com with all sorts of keywords, and still couldn't find anything official so who knows when the deadline really is ...

Reaction Score
Horston just announced she's declaring about 5 minutes ago.
I figured she would. She's given the LVs 4 years and transitioned them from the Warlick to Harper era.

With her stock having dropped, Jones may stick but would it be at Stanford?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
FWIF

Well, I guess this settles the deadline date question.
But no mention of Paige :eek::eek::eek:

(I know that Paige has stated previously that she was not going to the WNBA this year.)

Uh-oh, Daniel might have deleted his tweet about Aaliyah and Aubrey. Another couple :eek::eek:s

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Was Edwards eligible? She's born in 2002, I thought you had to be born in 2001 to declare early.
I wondered the same thing, I thought that the only junior that was eligible was Paige and Aubrey is eligible because academically she is a senior.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom